Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Agreed. The tempo of the game is so much better with this and the removal of the red line.

I think the only time I've disagreed with the rule is when a player is dumping in a puck and the d-man tries to bat it down and accidentally bats it into the crowd (or even worse, it just deflects of their stick and into the crowd.) I feel like that can be cleaned up with discretion, though. Similar to the "kicking motion" off of skates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Agreed. The tempo of the game is so much better with this and the removal of the red line.

I think the only time I've disagreed with the rule is when a player is dumping in a puck and the d-man tries to bat it down and accidentally bats it into the crowd (or even worse, it just deflects of their stick and into the crowd.) I feel like that can be cleaned up with discretion, though. Similar to the "kicking motion" off of skates.

Deflections aren't supposed to get the penalty. Only when you're possessing and controlling the puck, so you need to be playing it with the blade of your stick.

I'm really really looking forward to how any goal ends a power play. It's been great so far with the PK pushing and in some cases having the better chances. Even if that doesn't go places, I'd love to see the increased physical play being allowed into the younger age groups. There are some really talented women playing hockey at junior and college age who would absolutely make those games even better.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jhet posted:

Deflections aren't supposed to get the penalty. Only when you're possessing and controlling the puck, so you need to be playing it with the blade of your stick.

I'm really really looking forward to how any goal ends a power play. It's been great so far with the PK pushing and in some cases having the better chances. Even if that doesn't go places, I'd love to see the increased physical play being allowed into the younger age groups. There are some really talented women playing hockey at junior and college age who would absolutely make those games even better.

Well you got your wish, that short handed goal from Toronto was awesome.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

MA-Horus posted:

Well you got your wish, that short handed goal from Toronto was awesome.

Yeah that was awesome to watch, but heartbreaking for NYC. That whistled-off goal was BS, and now you're down a goal and lose 1:20ish of a powerplay? Suuuuuuucks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've noticed player in the PWHL almost never go down to block shots, where NHL players do so incessantly. Is that just not the done thing in women's hockey, or is it actually disallowed by PWHL rules?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've noticed player in the PWHL almost never go down to block shots, where NHL players do so incessantly. Is that just not the done thing in women's hockey, or is it actually disallowed by PWHL rules?

That's just women's hockey. They block shots standing up, but because they aren't constantly on the ice they're also picking the puck up and moving it immediately when they block the shot with their legs and stick instead. It might change eventually, but I don't know that it would be particularly advantageous with how good these goalies are.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I absolutely love that even if I have to dip out mid-game / forget a game is on until late, I can watch the full youtube vod to catch up. The only negative thing about this league gaining the full capitalist legitimacy it deserves and has well earned, is that it'll get gated behind some lovely blackout'd paywall.

League owns, the games have owned, it deserves all the success. I'm curious how an expansion will go, though, because right now it's 6 teams of absolutely concentrated talent. Basically every goalie on every team is sporting a national team paint job. Either new teams are going to be severely handicapped or the expansion draft may dilute the talent in a way that a 30-team league doesn't feel.

Also appreciate how they're letting the physical play go. Women's hockey has always had a weird vibe where the CAN/USA games would be far more physical than they'd ever call a game involving another national team. The commentary has indicated this is how the players want it to be called, so it's been very fun to watch.

Plus the SH goal rule is awesome.

My only regret is the closest team is like a 5 day drive away. Bring on the Western conference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

I absolutely love that even if I have to dip out mid-game / forget a game is on until late, I can watch the full youtube vod to catch up. The only negative thing about this league gaining the full capitalist legitimacy it deserves and has well earned, is that it'll get gated behind some lovely blackout'd paywall.

League owns, the games have owned, it deserves all the success. I'm curious how an expansion will go, though, because right now it's 6 teams of absolutely concentrated talent. Basically every goalie on every team is sporting a national team paint job. Either new teams are going to be severely handicapped or the expansion draft may dilute the talent in a way that a 30-team league doesn't feel.

Also appreciate how they're letting the physical play go. Women's hockey has always had a weird vibe where the CAN/USA games would be far more physical than they'd ever call a game involving another national team. The commentary has indicated this is how the players want it to be called, so it's been very fun to watch.

Plus the SH goal rule is awesome.

My only regret is the closest team is like a 5 day drive away. Bring on the Western conference.

Good points, but bear in mind it won’t be 30 teams in a year. They’ll probably do 1-2 teams every few years.

There are still players that absolutely could play in the PWHL but….are still in college lol. Example: Sarah Fillier is one of Team Canada’s top players/scorers and is in her final year of college (she’s pegged as almost def the #1 draft pick next draft). Caroline Harvey and Kayla Barnes are some of Team USA’s top defensemen and same thing (not sure if it’s their final year of college or not).

There’s def enough to go to at least 8 teams without diluting.

Regarding checking in the Olympics: there’s an obvious talent gap between USA/Canada and most of the other teams. The other teams are catching up, but long story short the reason for the gap is USA/Canada has funding where the teams can practice and train year round, and the others just don’t. As a result, USA/Canada are bigger and faster, so my opinion is that they enforce the checking on other games so you don’t have a Canada player murdering someone on some of the less talented teams.

It’ll get there though! I don’t know official numbers, but they have highlighted that there are a few international players in the PWHL. Muller obviously, but there’s a player from Japan, one or two from Finland and Czechia, etc. and if the income is stable and they expand teams, I think you’ll see more players from overseas players, especially Finland and Czechia.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I'm really hoping they put a team in Madison, Wisconsin at some point. I've been a fan of the Badger women's team for years, and so I feel like I've already seen half the players in the league play at LaBahn at one point or another. Having a professional team out here would be amazing.

Also, seconding the excellent streaming performance and production value. I remember when the NWHL was streamed on Twitter of all things, the video quality was awful and it was basically unwatchable. Awesome to see them hit the ground rounding in terms of the public presentation of the league. Hell, watching these games is WAY better than watching the Capitals on ESPN+, which has a horrible auto-quality algorithm and constantly glitches and crashes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The first game I saw was yesterday's Minnesota-Montreal game. I loved it. It felt like it started slowly but the second and third periods were great.

Also, every so often you would see Poulin just do something absurd through three Minnesota players before eventually getting smothered which was also highly entertaining for my bad-at-watching-hockey brain.

Production values were great.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

12 teams is probably about as high as they should go in the foreseeable future, IMO.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh hell yeah I just heard about the PWHL, glad to be in on the ground floor. I feel like I have to root for Knight and Keller since I know them from the national team, so I guess I'm a Boston fan even though I live in Philly. Don't tell my Flyers friends...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh hell yeah I just heard about the PWHL, glad to be in on the ground floor. I feel like I have to root for Knight and Keller since I know them from the national team, so I guess I'm a Boston fan even though I live in Philly. Don't tell my Flyers friends...

You can be a Minnesota fan, and root for the 14 Minnesota players ! They have Coyne and Zumwikel too (don’t look up Coyne’s political beliefs k thanks.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Very excited to see the fast start for this league. Calling it now, we're gonna get the Lady Nordiques inside the next 10 years. The building is there, but the NHL is never going back.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Watched a bit of the last Minnesota game and holy poo poo Taylor Heise is good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
This Montréal Boston game is the first live PWHL game I've watched and it's a blast.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Everyone should just be a Minnesota fan. We're a goddamn Mecca of women's professional sports.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Women's U18 gold medal game on right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ibai5oBhK8

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BUG JUG posted:

Everyone should just be a Minnesota fan. We're a goddamn Mecca of women's professional sports.

It's very true. Good first period of the game today too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BUG JUG posted:

Closest pwhl team to me so may as well!

Are the teams planning on staying nameless or is that just a reflection of how quickly the league came together?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ravenfood posted:

Closest pwhl team to me so may as well!

Are the teams planning on staying nameless or is that just a reflection of how quickly the league came together?

Apparently there were names planned but none of the teams liked the names so now it's TBD

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Apparently there were names planned but none of the teams liked the names so now it's TBD

Nice. I'll be honest I kind of like it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Count Thrashula posted:

Specifically, the trademarked names were: Toronto Torch, Montreal Echo, Ottawa Alert, Minnesota Superior, Boston Wicked and New York Sound 

You can see why they didn't follow through on this.

Jerseys are also trash quality for silly prices but the on-ice product is phenomenal so far, streaming every game is great, and the production quality is excellent. I was worried when they dropped the ball so comically on the early marketing but they've nailed what matters.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, in context of names and jerseys, it’s apparently like, a 2 year turn around to really develop a team name, logo, jerseys etc. Hence why those names are terrible. So with less than 6 months to literally build the league from search, it basically was “either we don’t play until next year and have names, or we play now and have basic names and jerseys.”

Given how well they’re doing with a lot of other things, I think they def made the right call on getting the basics right and having a shortened first season this year vs no season at all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's also the elephant in the room that most new sports leagues of this nature don't make it through a second season.

Personally I like the idea of not having a Team Name on its own merits, though I'd have preferred a little more variety in uniform design. Just call them by their homes and let nicknames organically develop over the years.

Plus like 90% of the new team names in any sport in the last 20 years are just godawful. Assigning those kinds of nicknames to the PWHL teams would only have given it more of a Mickey-Mouse-league image. Just Toronto Versus Montreal is better imo, thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Lots of soccer teams have worked with just the name of the city (or variations when you have more than one team, Manchester City / United). It’s an interesting experiment that might let the nicknames come naturally over time, but the official name could just stay as-is

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, in context of names and jerseys, it’s apparently like, a 2 year turn around to really develop a team name, logo, jerseys etc. Hence why those names are terrible. So with less than 6 months to literally build the league from search, it basically was “either we don’t play until next year and have names, or we play now and have basic names and jerseys.”

Given how well they’re doing with a lot of other things, I think they def made the right call on getting the basics right and having a shortened first season this year vs no season at all.

That's more of the timeline for the rebrand of an existing major sports franchise, like the Commanders or Guardians, it's considerably shorter to spin up a new identity. I still get why they didn't get it done ahead of the season launch, since the front offices had more than enough work just getting players, venues, and media sorted.

I'm way more offended by my team playing in Lowell than I am about the lack of branding. And yeah, now that it's this way, I kinda hope they take the European club approach to naming.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 16, 2024

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Jerseys are also trash quality for silly prices but the on-ice product is phenomenal so far, streaming every game is great, and the production quality is excellent. I was worried when they dropped the ball so comically on the early marketing but they've nailed what matters.

Really speaks to the fact that on-ice quality trumps everything else by a wide margin. Nobody cares that they don't have nicknames or fancy uniforms.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm way more offended by my team playing in Lowell than I am about the lack of branding.

:agesilaus:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wicked is a dumb name, but a witch themed team would be cool. Call them the Coven and make the logo a witch riding a hockey stick. A player who scores 3 gets to wear a pointy hat in the locker room after the game. Call the stadium the Cauldron.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

go Habbes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I saw people suggesting that Montreal’s team could pick the name Maroons which would fit very nicely with the existing colors and give a historic nod, but would probably raise a few eyebrows given the language history behind the team.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

deoju posted:

Wicked is a dumb name, but a witch themed team would be cool. Call them the Coven and make the logo a witch riding a hockey stick. A player who scores 3 gets to wear a pointy hat in the locker room after the game. Call the stadium the Cauldron.

Move the team to Salem while you're at it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://archive.is/jIYkY nice, touching article about what the pwhl means to a 70 year old queer woman hockey player

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Specifically, the trademarked names were: Toronto Torch, Montreal Echo, Ottawa Alert, Minnesota Superior, Boston Wicked and New York Sound 

You can see why they didn't follow through on this.

Yeah they made a good call not going with those. Keep the location names and go from there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There’s been some joking in Minnesota that they should go with Purple Reign, and I like.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Should have kept Whitecaps, Pride, and Riveters if you ask me. Seeing as they very likely (?) own all the old NWHL trademarks, I suppose they still could and give the Canadian teams new "matching" names.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

There’s been some joking in Minnesota that they should go with Purple Reign, and I like.

They absolutely should do this lol. It would be awesome.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Should have kept Whitecaps, Pride, and Riveters if you ask me. Seeing as they very likely (?) own all the old NWHL trademarks, I suppose they still could and give the Canadian teams new "matching" names.

Riveters especially should be kept.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/5211810/2024/01/23/pwhl-expansion-pittsburgh-penguins-womens-hockey/?source=user_shared_article Eyeing PWHL expansion, Penguins prepare for a women’s team: ‘This will work in Pittsburgh’

In its inaugural season, the PWHL has seen record crowds, impressive television numbers and a highly competitive product on the ice.

And at least one NHL team is already taking notice: the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“We like the initial reports on the excitement and on the attendance numbers,” Kevin Acklin, president of business operations for the Penguins, told The Athletic. “We’ve expressed our interest in hosting a club here in Pittsburgh for the future – that’s the ultimate goal.”

League leadership has tapped the brakes when asked about potential expansion, saying they are committed to getting the first six teams right before adding a seventh or eighth franchise.

“Sure, we’d like to get bigger, we’d like to get stronger,” Stan Kasten, a member of the PWHL advisory board, said on an episode of “The Bob McCown Podcast” last week. “But first we have to get established, and that’s what this shortened year is about.”

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Is there a place I can watch games after the fact? TSN and the PWHL youtube channel have nothing (one game, technically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh weird, the YouTube channel has all the games. Wonder if they signed some sort of deal with a network?