Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which rumored fight are you most looking forward to in 2024?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall for the Heavyweight title 4 8.89%
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at Middleweight 0 0%
Francis Ngannou vs Ryan Bader to break the sport's skull ejection record 8 17.78%
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. in some kind of amateur MMA match 1 2.22%
Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic in a double retirement bout 4 8.89%
The UFC vs The American Legal System in an antitrust fight 28 62.22%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

blue footed boobie posted:

I had some memory that Dillashaw retired because he was looking at a multi year comeback from his shoulder injury, so I went and googled him to confirm that.

And god drat lmao wouldn’t you know that he posted a pic of himself yolked out of his loving mind and talking about a comeback.

Just look at it. He must weigh 190lbs and has a clear hgh gut.

E: oh god he’s rapidly going bald, too. This is my favorite mma thing in a while.

Holy poo poo, if it wasn't for the tattoos I would absolutely 100% refuse to believe that was Dillishaw :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

god i think it was the first fight with barao where he landed something like 30 odd unanswered punches before the ref called it off. i remember pausing and counting them and it was something like 32. absolutely crazy. those two fights with barao were some of the most brutal beatings i've ever seen. it's rare to see a champ get absolutely embarrassed.

As much as I love MMA I don't rewatch it (outside of research/writing projects) all that often, but I rewatched that fight so many times. Just one of the most beautiful performances in the sport.

kimbo305 posted:

I too wish for a controversial Muslim force to defeat Israel.

gonna be hard to beat this for february, yeah

Also on the topic of Khamzat, looks like things might not be great!
https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1742446965659730003

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

As much as I love MMA I don't rewatch it (outside of research/writing projects) all that often, but I rewatched that fight so many times. Just one of the most beautiful performances in the sport.

genuinely agree with the descriptor of 'beautiful'. like the murder art in the tv show hannibal was beautiful. executing a man has rarely been so sublime.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
2023 Awards thread is here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051061

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
yeah, Dillashaw Barao was not a great fight but goddamn what a performance. Simultaneously utterly humbling a champion while also making it clear why no one else had been able to do that. Even late, Barao was swinging with a fuckload of power and speed, but Dillashaw had him scouted way too well.

You can see a prototype of that style a little earlier against Assuncao but Dillashaw gasses really badly. Like as badly as I've seen below Middleweight. I remember thinking 'drat, if he could keep up that pace' and now we know how he was able to.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
excited to see TJ also fight at 185. let's go

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo, if it wasn't for the tattoos I would absolutely 100% refuse to believe that was Dillishaw :stare:

He looks like Liam Neeson ate Dillashaw to steal his power. If I didn't know better you'd never convince me that guy fought at bantamweight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
MMA is regressing to the Rousimar Palhares 5'7" 180lb mean.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

*pounds fists on table rhythmically*

meat brick!

Meat Brick!

MEAT BRICK!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Liquid Communism posted:

He looks like Liam Neeson ate Dillashaw to steal his power. If I didn't know better you'd never convince me that guy fought at bantamweight.

lol I was trying to formulate a Liam Neeson joke, the resemblance is uncanny

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

DeimosRising posted:

lol I was trying to formulate a Liam Neeson joke, the resemblance is uncanny

"Schindler's Fist"
"Star Wars: EPOsode 1"
"Rob 'Roid"
"4 Oz. Glove Actually"
"Taken: Tag Tournament"

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Lucasar posted:

"4 Oz. Glove Actually"

:lmao:

Ra's All Juice
Roids al Ghul

best I got

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 4, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

quote is not edit :(

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Lucasar posted:

"Schindler's Fist"
"Star Wars: EPOsode 1"
"Rob 'Roid"
"4 Oz. Glove Actually"

Unperson_47 posted:

Ra's All Juice

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

sean strickland reads that one neeson quote about wanting to kill a black guy and nods racistly

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Ballad of Buster's Drugs
The Next Three Rounds
Dustman
A Million Ways to Fight in The West

and here's one that's way out there:
The Test Pool

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

MMA is regressing to the Rousimar Palhares 5'7" 180lb mean.

Palhares is great but there's a new guy I saw on the Contender Series, Torrez Finney, who is 5'8" with like 6'4" arms at middleweight. he's also from Tennessee so I'm doubly excited to see him in the UFC. it's an insane physique / body type:

https://twitter.com/punishertorrez/status/1357474829864226818

post-USADA, this guy might juice up to 205 or something

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
that gentleman can tie his shoes without bending over

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Torrez Geodude Finney

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

The Ballad of Buster's Drugs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LobsterMobster posted:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

kimbo305 posted:

I too wish for a controversial Muslim force to defeat Israel.

:eyepop:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Torrez Finney, who is 5'8" with like 6'4" arms at middleweight.

LobsterMobster posted:

Get this man a cargo pants sponsorship.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm changing my pick for 2024 fighter of the year to Bo Nickal.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Palhares is great but there's a new guy I saw on the Contender Series, Torrez Finney, who is 5'8" with like 6'4" arms at middleweight. he's also from Tennessee so I'm doubly excited to see him in the UFC. it's an insane physique / body type:

post-USADA, this guy might juice up to 205 or something

I'm only on my second cup of coffee and (not being too familiar with feet and inches) thought to myself "Aren't 6'4" arms awfully long?" before realizing that you meant arms like a 6'4" fighter.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm only on my second cup of coffee and (not being too familiar with feet and inches) thought to myself "Aren't 6'4" arms awfully long?" before realizing that you meant arms like a 6'4" fighter.

Wingspan and height are often pretty close to the same, so the reach (as measured in a tale of the tape situation) of a 6'4" (193 cm) person would be right around that same length within a few inches for most people.

I think the way reach is measured is such a reductive stat as to be meaningless. For example, commentators and analysts will talk about somebody having a reach advantage over Max Holloway, but neglect to mention that Max is the taller fighter by a greater margin. If the shorter man has longer arms but has to punch upwards to reach Max's head, they lose some reach. And if Max's natural punch height is at head level for the shorter man, then it is entirely possible that Max will have the actual reach advantage. And that's not even accounting for stance differences, with Max's somewhat upright stance preserving his height advantage compared to lower or more side-on stances. And Max has narrow shoulders, so a larger portion of his wingspan is arm than it would be for a broad-shouldered fighter. But most analysts just look at two numbers and remark on the larger and then act baffled when Max seems to be the rangier guy in practice.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Thats why I liked when boxing would measure from the shoulder to the end of the fist for reach

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LobsterMobster posted:

Thats why I liked when boxing would measure from the shoulder to the end of the fist for reach

Broad shoulders do matter, not only for reach (since tilting your shoulder into a punch to the same angle produces more shifting of the shoulder) but also for power. I'd say wingspan and arm length together are quite informative for boxing.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Lucasar posted:

Wingspan and height are often pretty close to the same, so the reach (as measured in a tale of the tape situation) of a 6'4" (193 cm) person would be right around that same length within a few inches for most people.

I think the way reach is measured is such a reductive stat as to be meaningless. For example, commentators and analysts will talk about somebody having a reach advantage over Max Holloway, but neglect to mention that Max is the taller fighter by a greater margin. If the shorter man has longer arms but has to punch upwards to reach Max's head, they lose some reach. And if Max's natural punch height is at head level for the shorter man, then it is entirely possible that Max will have the actual reach advantage. And that's not even accounting for stance differences, with Max's somewhat upright stance preserving his height advantage compared to lower or more side-on stances. And Max has narrow shoulders, so a larger portion of his wingspan is arm than it would be for a broad-shouldered fighter. But most analysts just look at two numbers and remark on the larger and then act baffled when Max seems to be the rangier guy in practice.

Wingspan is one thing, but having arms that each are 6'4" (which is what I was briefly thinking of) is another.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
It's why I said a single number is reductive. How long your fingers are matters in the sense of going for an ankle pick, but does not matter much for throwing a punch. Broad shoulders can contribute to the length of a punch, but if you're shooting a double-leg your shoulders will be relatively square to the angle your arms are extended, thereby not contributing any reach.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BlindSite posted:

I'm changing my pick for 2024 fighter of the year to Bo Nickal.

Tatsuro Taira after Bo Nickal's shocking upset loss to Caio Borralho.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1743384336416514495

I guess we're about to see how much of Ngannou/Fury was Fury taking him lightly. Either way, Ngannou getting loving paid again.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I have a feeling that we're not going to see Francis fighting in the pfl any time soon

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
fun to see Riyadh supplant Vegas for world capital Hypercapitalistic Gambling Hell

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm gonna die laughing if Ngannou knocks out Joshua. There's already been so much retconning of opinions, "Usyk was the only good HW the whole time" is going to be delicious.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

fun to see Riyadh supplant Vegas for world capital Hypercapitalistic Gambling Hell

Probably going to continue too, the ultra wealthy love a good flex.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not the most likely outcome but Joshua getting splattered is definitely not unlikely.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's funny. I was assured by some very confident people that Ngannou wouldn't be able to book another fight, never mind a high profile one, and definitely not Anthony Joshua, given the under performing PPV numbers against Fury. It's amazing how many confident stupid people there are out there. Not here, obviously. You guys know everything and are extremely handsome. I should clarify that that was not sarcasm. I genuinely love all of you and you're keeping me interested in this terrible dumb sport.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
I hope Francis becomes heavyweight champion.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

RedSky posted:

I hope Francis becomes heavyweight champion.

edit: oops I thought this was the boxing thread but whatever I guess.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

It's funny. I was assured by some very confident people that Ngannou wouldn't be able to book another fight, never mind a high profile one, and definitely not Anthony Joshua, given the under performing PPV numbers against Fury. It's amazing how many confident stupid people there are out there.

Hmm I wonder what could’ve changed before and after the Fury fight…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Snowman_McK posted:

It's funny. I was assured by some very confident people that Ngannou wouldn't be able to book another fight, never mind a high profile one, and definitely not Anthony Joshua, given the under performing PPV numbers against Fury. It's amazing how many confident stupid people there are out there. Not here, obviously. You guys know everything and are extremely handsome. I should clarify that that was not sarcasm. I genuinely love all of you and you're keeping me interested in this terrible dumb sport.

For Saudi Arabias purposes it doesn't really matter if people paid or pirated as long as they watched. 100m in buy money was never going to cause the event to turn a profit and turning a profit was never the goal.