Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which rumored fight are you most looking forward to in 2024?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall for the Heavyweight title 4 8.89%
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at Middleweight 0 0%
Francis Ngannou vs Ryan Bader to break the sport's skull ejection record 8 17.78%
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. in some kind of amateur MMA match 1 2.22%
Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic in a double retirement bout 4 8.89%
The UFC vs The American Legal System in an antitrust fight 28 62.22%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cool quote from a genocide defending pedophile from the party you vote for but doesn't really have anything to do with Dricus just being a dude from Africa wanting to win a belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BlindSite posted:

Cool quote from a genocide defending pedophile from the party you vote for
Lol

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BlindSite posted:

I don't think he even said "real".

EDIT: Found the quote

“As far as I know, they came to America and New Zealand. I’m going to take a belt to Africa.”

“I’m the African fighting in the UFC. Myself and Cameron [Saaiman], we breathe African air. We wake up in Africa every day. We train in Africa, we’re Africa born, we’re Africa raised, we still reside in Africa, we train out of Africa. That’s an African champion, and that’s who I’ll be.”

It's super tame really but Adesenya thinks you can't be from a place if you have a skin colour he decides is wrong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ufc/comments/14wd082/dricus_duplessis_controversial_interviews_for/

"I want to be the first real African champ" so, uh

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/willharrisaoaf/status/1748551603639202254?t=Z_kjqyrtEIDTpN2pa8GGlQ

Man, I hope it's true and Belal finally gets a title fight

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlindSite posted:

"we’re Africa born, we’re Africa raised, we still reside in Africa"
you can't be from a place if you have a skin colour he decides is wrong

hmmmmm, wonder how he got there. hmmmmm

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My apologies, I only found a transcript from the post fight. I was mistaken.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thinkin bout that 298 card

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

hmmmmm, wonder how he got there. hmmmmm

How did white Americans get there?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

south africa? my ex flew there a few years ago for school. i think most americans get there by plane these days

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

How did white Americans get there?

Oh, did you not learn in history class? Maybe you had one of the textbooks published for the South.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, did you not learn in history class? Maybe you had one of the textbooks published for the South.

Very cute of you to assume any American textbook teaches anything after Vietnam and not involving America

I graduated high school in 2015 (sorry to turn y'all to dust) And it went Vietnam (which we "mostly won" -> uhhhh 9/11 I guess and then nothing else

If anything nowadays theyre working on inventing the clean Rhodesia myth or something stupid

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

White Americans shouldn't imply that Native Americans aren't real Americans, even if the Native American person is living somewhere else.

It's obvious DDP dismissing the other Africans in the UFC even in that quote, between incorrectly claiming the belts never went to Africa, that he is "the African" (along with Saaiman, but ignoring Themba Gorimbo, training in Zimbabwe and who he knows), that still residing and training in Africa is what an African champion is. The context of the quote makes it worse, too, where the reporter asks him if he's disappointed that the African champions have been losing their UFC belts or if he sees it as an opportunity. It came after he said he wants to be the "first real African champion". DDP knew what he was doing and doubled down on it, before eventually walking it back when he was getting called out for it.

It would be extremely easy for him to say "I want to be the first champion training in Africa" if that's all he meant. He didn't.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

It would be extremely easy for him to say "I want to be the first champion training in Africa" if that's all he meant. He didn't.

Yes of course his comments were problematic, and he did walk them back although probably he should have more explicitly apologized. My point is just that we should assume generally that all mma fighters are problematic.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Du Plessis seems like a bit of an idiot, but from the other things he says I get more of a genuinely stupid vibe from him than a racist one. I’ll be cool with him if he knocks off the Africa thing, although I assume Izzy will never drop it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Izzy has every reason not to drop it since he's almost surely going to fight Du Plessis next in a title fight or title eliminator. It's not like the UFC will build any kind of narrative in advance of Ron Pearlman's voiceover.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Maybe we can all agree on that though.

Ron Pearlman can do a voice over

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Algorithm sends me this clip today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMQXNUpJo8

Man, gently caress Strickland. I hope Du Plessis annihilates this clown.

I don't think he will, but I hope I'm wrong as poo poo.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052277

GDT is up. I am both eager for this event to happen and eager for it to be over. Prelims in thirty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Algorithm sends me this clip today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMQXNUpJo8

Man, gently caress Strickland. I hope Du Plessis annihilates this clown.

I don't think he will, but I hope I'm wrong as poo poo.

I try really hard to block channels that have nazi slanted takes like that, but the algorithm is relentless.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

In the last 18 months:
  • Israel Adesanya secured his fifth title defense, cementing him as the second-greatest Middleweight champion in UFC history
  • Alex Pereira won three fights in a year, knocked out Sean Strickland, then knocked out Israel Adesanya to win the Middleweight championship
  • Israel Adesanya won an instant rematch, knocked out Alex Pereira, and won back the Middleweight championship
  • Sean Strickland won three fights in a year, upset Israel Adesanya, and won the Middleweight championship
  • Dricus du Plessis won three fights in a year, including knocking out Robert Whittaker, beat Sean Strickland, and won the Middleweight championship
Middleweight is a wild, silly place.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Uhhh I won’t post the picture but randomly spotted a picture of Datsik filled with shrapnel from the war. He finally got to his wish

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Datsik's denying it on his Telegram channel and saying he was bit by a dog, and on one hand it's Datsik and he's always full of poo poo, but on the other hand it's Datsik so I would fully believe a dog sensed he was evil.

Also, today in the ongoing adventures of being the best promoter in the fight business:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Not even the worst fight on the card.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
lol I was at Quarry-Starnes so gently caress your short memory Dana

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

?? I thought Evloev vs. Allen was a good fight

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

How was the ppv,worth watching on catch up?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Evolev Allen was very good and the last few minutes of the Chris Curtis fight ruled. I was watching the latter with the sound off and didn't even realize that I was supposed to hate it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

GTO posted:

I'd just watch highlights

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

GTO posted:

I fell asleep before the main and comain, but what I saw wasn’t great.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

?? I thought Evloev vs. Allen was a good fight

The new meta of the UFC is if you wrestle at all you are a bad person.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CarlCX posted:

The new meta of the UFC is if you wrestle at all you are a bad person.

We're due for another Covington title match.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Charles Jourdain has blamed his loss on the judges being trans.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
if he thinks that’s plausible I’m ok if it’s true

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Evloev Allen fight was the best one on the card. The highest level one for sure.

I like Curtis, I really do - but I get so annoyed when fighters decide to strike only, like we should take them as serious athletes who have chosen to ignore huge parts of their chosen sport.

Same criticism of Strickland except I don't like him

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Hector Lombard being a jerk:

https://youtube.com/shorts/9AjwQm2Nbfg?si=rqnvDpn_F1pPqfs9

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The UFC should be promoting Evloev with side by side sequences of him doing mat return sequences on Allen and Khabib doing some of his best mat return sequences before he started using his signature Dagestani handcuffs. This is a guy that has a way better chance of being "the next Khabib!" than any of the guys they've breathlessly promoted that way. Or at least the next Makhachev if that title has already been claimed. I wasn't fully sold on him before this fight given the level of competition, with Ige being his only notable win in a favorable style matchup, but he rose to the occasion in a good fight against a great fighter. It was a very close fight, but his fundamentals look so solid he should be able to make a few adjustments to widen the gap.

I still love Allen but I'm on the Evloev hype train now. It's utterly baffling to me that Dana White is big mad and undercutting it instead of doing his literal job and promoting it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Magomed Magomedkerimov is out of the fight vs Jason Jackson at the big Bellator champs vs PFL champs card next month

Stepping in on short notice is PFL 2019 Welterweight champ, Ray Cooper III

The fight will now take place at a 182 pound catchweight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Magomed Magomedkerimov is out of the fight vs Jason Jackson at the big Bellator champs vs PFL champs card next month

Stepping in on short notice is PFL 2019 Welterweight champ, Ray Cooper III

The fight will now take place at a 182 pound catchweight.

everyone is so bad at this

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I still love Allen but I'm on the Evloev hype train now. It's utterly baffling to me that Dana White is big mad and undercutting it instead of doing his literal job and promoting it.

Remember that, given limitless resources to create his own sport's league, Dana White came up with Slap fighting. I don't think he actually likes fighting unless it's dudes trading brain damage with no defence whatsoever. Literally anything else has always bored him and as he gets older and becomes more unhinged the way billionaires inevitably do, it infuriates him rather than boring him.

CommonShore posted:

everyone is so bad at this

New thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.threads.net/@lukethomasnews/post/C2amzU0pT2j/
Maybe not the most efficient way to learn:
- the UFC censored Makhachev’s message of Palestinian solidarity out of a rebroadcast, and ESPN/Disney just let it happen
- there were LGB chants at Toronto, lol