Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which rumored fight are you most looking forward to in 2024?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall for the Heavyweight title 4 8.89%
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at Middleweight 0 0%
Francis Ngannou vs Ryan Bader to break the sport's skull ejection record 8 17.78%
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. in some kind of amateur MMA match 1 2.22%
Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic in a double retirement bout 4 8.89%
The UFC vs The American Legal System in an antitrust fight 28 62.22%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

the write ups are great. when sa finally dies where can we keep following your content, assuming you continue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Faustian Bargain posted:

the write ups are great. when sa finally dies where can we keep following your content, assuming you continue?

https://carlcx.substack.com

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CarlCX posted:

Not gonna lie, it bothered me in the early days when the effort it took to do it was still new, but these days I am not going to be mad at anyone for not reading 5,450 words about why I think Phil Hawes will lose a fight.
Even though my MMA fandom might have entered terminal phase with this month’s title fight of Domestic Pan-Bigoted Idiot vs Imported Merely Racist, I still appreciate your efforts and enjoy your writing.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

One FC Friday Fights Numpangna vs Ogawa spoilers: Holy poo poo! Numpangna just knocked at least two, possibly three of Ogawa's teeth out with that elbow. Watch the slow-mo from different angles, you can see them fly...

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/mma_orbit/status/1745881611059478585

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I also got https://www.punchsport.report/ because I'm a fancy lad.

They just updated, thanks to the weight miss Kape/Nicolau has been scratched from the card. I hope Manel enjoys his return to complaining about getting cancelled on by a bunch of #12-ranked guys.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE on Prime starting now

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Faustian Bargain posted:

Your av reminds me of megaspel and it briefly causes me to become irrationally angry

coathat
May 21, 2007

I love being able to knee a grounded opponent

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I don't know why but watching some old fights today I think Dricus is going to loving destroy strickland and I don't think it will be particularly close. Like I'm talking a 10-8 beatdown if it even gets out of the first round.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was feeling the same thing. Different styles, but the guy found Robert Whittaker and smoked him. Dude's a freak. I dunno if Strickland can bring the kind of heat to keep him at bay on a good day.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He's actually incredible at juuuuuust slipping out of range and counters with just incredible power and accuracy. His footwork is also outstanding for keeping himself in control the entire time. There's some subtlety to his game that I think people overlook because... mad, but he's a really elite fighter. I don't think he's the type to have a long, career or reign because of that fact but the way he generates power in short areas off slips and counters is rare. I think I'm gonna chuck some cash on him by KO.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Strickland's best offense comes from hypnotizing opponents into being too frustrated/concerned to really get in on him while he quietly crosses them up for three to five rounds, and Dricus du Plessis has basically modeled his style after being here for a good time rather than a long time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It would be really funny if dricus does find a way to beat strickland and goes to immediately job out to izzy

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

If he beats Sean I guess the only option is Izzy. We have to find out who the realest African is.

They already planted the seed and watered it with a rain of awkwardly, drunkenly yelled n-words.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah. I think Strickland got extremely lucky with getting the title shot against Adesanya, who’s defensive turn as champion left him incredibly vulnerable to getting his jab shut down. Strickland does not look good when he’s forced into the back foot and I expect DDP to swarm and crush him.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i have cable briefly by way of a YouTube TV trial. i put on PTI on ESPN yesterday to see what those two had to say about the new england patriots hiring jerod mayo and say an ad for the strickland-headlined ppv and espn is selling it for $10 off if you buy it now. is that a normal discount or is this an indication they're having trouble drumming up interest in a nazi vs afrikaaner main event?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051714

GDT is up. Broadcast begins in half an hour, although I have to imagine we'll have dead air.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

CarlCX posted:

Not gonna lie, it bothered me in the early days when the effort it took to do it was still new, but these days I am not going to be mad at anyone for not reading 5,450 words about why I think Phil Hawes will lose a fight.

I've never followed MMA, never watched an event, and have really only watched content that I was linked to via these threads.

After I watched the Jon Bois / Felix doc at some point during the pandemic though, I was both intrigued to learn more about the people in the ring, and wholly disinterested in actually engaging in the modern UFC product.

So finding your in-depth fight previews was awesome, and the contributions of many other posters was enlightening as well. The "let's remember some fighters" thread, the thread about the more absurd combat sports, the "Who is most like Tank Abbott" thread, etc.

Anyways, your output is fantastic, and I figured I was overdue to say so. Aight, back to lurking these UFC/MMA threads! :munch:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kalensc posted:

I've never followed MMA, never watched an event, and have really only watched content that I was linked to via these threads.

After I watched the Jon Bois / Felix doc at some point during the pandemic though, I was both intrigued to learn more about the people in the ring, and wholly disinterested in actually engaging in the modern UFC product.

So finding your in-depth fight previews was awesome, and the contributions of many other posters was enlightening as well. The "let's remember some fighters" thread, the thread about the more absurd combat sports, the "Who is most like Tank Abbott" thread, etc.

Anyways, your output is fantastic, and I figured I was overdue to say so. Aight, back to lurking these UFC/MMA threads! :munch:

thanks for posting. it feels like an asylum in here sometimes. it's really interesting to hear from someone consuming this content like you are. it must be weird lol but yeah we do have the best mma journalists on the planet here they just don't work for the ufc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I had never seen this particular example of Johnny Walker’s chinniness
https://youtu.be/xHDh41gl5q0?si=UjM_hhelj3gPjykM
His wake-up after the second knockdown is insane.

E: and calling it a chin problem is unfair. Bad defense followed by his brain operating in safe mode while the ref dithers.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
I saw this on twitter regarding the Rizz Pharma ad on the octagon.
https://twitter.com/JackWannan/status/1746303054075285695

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I had never seen this particular example of Johnny Walker’s chinniness
https://youtu.be/xHDh41gl5q0?si=UjM_hhelj3gPjykM
His wake-up after the second knockdown is insane.

E: and calling it a chin problem is unfair. Bad defense followed by his brain operating in safe mode while the ref dithers.

Yeah, he doesn't have a beard like some guys do, but he often gets hit very clean and very flush and I don't see him developing a shoulder roll or a distance based offense like he could and probably should have. He was fun as hell as a prospect coming in killing dudes in under a minute but he never really rounded out. I guess that window is a small one.

He'll probably be fun for a few more years going out on his shield or putting guys out though.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kalensc posted:

That's kind of awesome, and I'm very glad you found the engagement niche for you. Please lurk and post however you see fit.

Also I'm just gonna use this to say thank you to everyone for the compliments. I don't always respond to them because I have a weird complex about it and not wanting to make the thread more about me, but I hope you know they are always appreciated and used in the eternal war against my own brain.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CarlCX posted:

The eternal war against my own brain.
MyTrainingLog.mri

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

CarlCX posted:

That's kind of awesome, and I'm very glad you found the engagement niche for you. Please lurk and post however you see fit.

Also I'm just gonna use this to say thank you to everyone for the compliments. I don't always respond to them because I have a weird complex about it and not wanting to make the thread more about me, but I hope you know they are always appreciated and used in the eternal war against my own brain.

I read the write ups, just not always at the time because I tend to not keep up with stuff as its happening, and they're great.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I watch most shows but have garbage memory so I suck at "following" the sport. The writeups help a ton.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Hilarious that the UFC put together a really bad card for the Saudi fight night and they said no loving way so it’s getting rescheduled for June.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Marching Powder posted:

thanks for posting. it feels like an asylum in here sometimes. it's really interesting to hear from someone consuming this content like you are. it must be weird lol but yeah we do have the best mma journalists on the planet here they just don't work for the ufc.

Haha, yeah, it's certainly an odd way to be a spectator, but tbqh since the early-10s I've pulled away from live-watching content across all sports. Having a crack-ping "oh, these industries are exploitative as hell, and sexual/physical/emotional abuse are baked into the adolescent elite leagues" realization started the process. Turns out I felt happier and healthier not spending 2-4 hours watching ads, talking heads, ads, some sport, ads, player suffering a TBI, ads, etc.

I spent the saved time playing ultimate frisbee, cycling, rock climbing, etc (until my body said lol you're 40 now, good luck with all that), but stayed engaged entirely through game summaries, SAS/TFF discussion, and the highlights that rose to the top on social media. So reading PGP and linked videos/articles to get a very superficial grasp of MMA's recent history and current landscape just worked for me.

Anyways, kudos to all you long-time fans who manage to put up with all the regressive intolerant spiteful garbage that too many of the top promoters and competitors spew out on the regular. Reading the December PPV GDT and seeing the pure glee when Covington was thoroughly outclassed was cathartic as hell.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

kalensc posted:

Having a crack-ping

The heck is a crack-ping?

We only have baconators and junior bacon cheeseburgers right now

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

kalensc posted:

Haha, yeah, it's certainly an odd way to be a spectator, but tbqh since the early-10s I've pulled away from live-watching content across all sports. Having a crack-ping "oh, these industries are exploitative as hell, and sexual/physical/emotional abuse are baked into the adolescent elite leagues" realization started the process.

One of the reasons I started watching mma instead of hockey is the somewhat less toxic masculinity and presumably lower rates of CTE making me feel slightly less guilty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Irish fighter got a devastating life changing spine injury :(
https://twitter.com/leahmccourtmma/status/1746282213098848271
Conor did the bare minimum decent thing and amplified the gofundme. Decent thing would be to just pay for his treatment, I suppose.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Back neck and spine in training?? Yikes

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah how the gently caress does that happen?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Irish fighter got a devastating life changing spine injury :(
https://twitter.com/leahmccourtmma/status/1746282213098848271
Conor did the bare minimum decent thing and amplified the gofundme. Decent thing would be to just pay for his treatment, I suppose.

He gave £25k

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
He could've paid more. Like all of it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah how the gently caress does that happen?

Angela Magana must be his bjj coach

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
PFL vs Bellator card is set for Feb 24

Champ vs Champ fights are:

Bader vs Ferreira

Eblen vs Kasanganay

Jackson vs Magomedkerimov

Pitbull vs Pinedo

Also announced

Aaron Pico vs Gabriel Braga

Bruno Capelozza vs Vadim Nemkov at HW

Thiago Santos vs Yoel Romero

Clay Collard vs AJ McKee

plus the pro debut of Biaggio Ali Walsh and Claressa Shields will be there as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

LobsterMobster posted:

PFL vs Bellator card is set for Feb 24

Clay Collard vs AJ McKee
oh HELL yeah