Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which rumored fight are you most looking forward to in 2024?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall for the Heavyweight title 4 8.89%
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at Middleweight 0 0%
Francis Ngannou vs Ryan Bader to break the sport's skull ejection record 8 17.78%
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. in some kind of amateur MMA match 1 2.22%
Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic in a double retirement bout 4 8.89%
The UFC vs The American Legal System in an antitrust fight 28 62.22%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I enjoy LEGO enthusiast Brandon Moreno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

There was a brief period of time where UFC Embedded was kind of fun because you could learn about Brandon Moreno's expansive Funko Pop collection and things like that

The man just loves Funko Pops and LEGO

Also jolly giant Jan Blachowicz making a wristband (?) out of some rope that a guy hanged himself in a forest with

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LobsterMobster posted:

oh that sounds cool

A Passing Feeling posted:

Brandon Moreno's expansive Funko Pop collection

ugh nevermind

Lid posted:

The UFC is at peak no one to root for and that's why it's so hard to care anymore. It's old favourites refusing to hang them up being dismantled by mostly shitheads, new favourites being forced out by refusing to be exploited, and all that's left are the dregs. I couldn't even tell you who is to really go for beloved fighters now that aren't like Bobby Knuckles who is years and years removed and after the mauling he suffered...

I mean there's Alex Volkanovski so I guess the rule is the only fighters left worth fighting for are Australian's.

Max Holloway is lovable and Dustin Poirier is alright, but yeah they're both past their primes

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Is Max actually past his prime? He’s still putting together good performances. He just can’t beat Volk. Disclaimer that I don’t remember the Arnold Allen fight that well.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I know he looked not great last time out, but I still love my Iron Turtle

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

blue footed boobie posted:

Is Max actually past his prime? He’s still putting together good performances. He just can’t beat Volk. Disclaimer that I don’t remember the Arnold Allen fight that well.

i mean both guys i mentioned are still very good. max has taken a lot of shots over his career and is 32 fights in, and I have a very bad feeling about the Gaethje fight. Anyway I just meant that they aren't up and comers

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like Alex pereria and everyone's favourite snow samurai seems like a good dude.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I know I spend a lot of time complaining about divisions, so if I had to go down the list of people I personally care about :
  • 265: Tom Aspinall has historic levels of potential he's only now getting to realize, Shamil Gaziev is an interesting prospect and if you don't root for Chris Barnett I'm going to ban you
  • 205: Dumb as his path here has been Alex Pereira's a hell of a fighter, Jiří Procházka is incapable of being boring, Magomed Ankalaev's a great contender, Aleksandar Rakić IS boring but I love him, Khalil Rountree is fascinating from the perspective that in any given fight it's equally probable he'll look like total poo poo or knock out everyone in the first four rows of seats
  • 185: It's a loving phantom division because Sean Strickland, Israel Adesanya, Dricus du Plessis, Robert Whittaker, Khamzat Chimaev and Jared Cannonier are a killer talent lineup if only most of them could stop being shitheads/if Chimaev could exist more than once a year; Ikram Aliskerov and Caio Borralho seem like genuine future contenders worth watching and Bo Nickal is, uh, interesting; rooting for Gerald Meerschaert and Jun Yong Park is obligatory because how can you not, I'm real, real curious to see what happens with Johnny Eblen
  • 170: Shavkat Rakhmonov's gonna be a champion and it's gonna fuckin' rule, Ian Machado Garry is on the cusp of being a thing but he's got some willies to shake out, Jack Della Maddalena's wrestling defense is officially A Problem for him but he's still incredibly fun to watch, I'm a big Rinat Fakhretdinov fan for some reason I can't even explain and I'm starting to think Michael Morales might be the real deal
  • 155: I mean, it's Lightweight, goddamn near everyone at Lightweight rules in some way, it's awesome that between Arman Tsarukyan and Benoît Saint Denis and Rafael Fiziev we're finally starting to see the top-division hegemony cracking a little, Elves Brener is secretly very good, I have been ride or die for Bobby Green for more than a decade and cannot stop now
  • 145: Lightweight Jr. in terms of quality, Alexander Volkanovski is the pound for pound best in the world but I think we're at the beginning of the end, Ilia Topuria loving rules, Calvin Kattar probably isn't ever making contendership but he's fun as hell, Movsar Evloev's a great grinder and if he gets past Allen this weekend he's a problem, Joanderson Brito is my homeboy
  • 135: merab merab merab merab merab merab (also Deiveson, Farid Basharat and Rinya Nakamura are interesting-rear end prospects and I hope somehow Patchy Mix winds up in the UFC)
  • 125: Literally everyone at this division rules but I'm currently deeply personally invested in Tatsuro Taira, Jeff Molina's one of the few good eggs out there and he's fun to watch, Muhammad Mokaev's kind of a shithead but he's real fun to watch, Kyoji loving Horiguchi
  • WOMEN'S 145: like larissa pacheco's pretty cool i guess
  • WOMEN'S 135: I cannot tell you how deeply it pleases me Raquel Pennington is finally getting her title shot but Mayra Bueno Silva also rules and will probably kill her, I'm not a huge Karol Rosa fan but that last fight with Irene Aldana was fun as hell
  • WOMEN'S 125: Alexa Grasso's a great champion who's in real loving trouble as soon as Erin Blanchfield or Manon Fiorot get in there with her, which is real fun to anticipate; Natália Silva is a fantastic prospect with a great style; I'm oddly invested in Veronica Hardy's career comeback
  • WOMEN'S 115: Gillian Robertson is my homeboy, the return of Tatiana Suarez was one of the best stories of the year until her body imploded again, Lupita Godinez is a future contender and I've been ready for years

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

have you forgotten Raquel's title shot already? The one where she said "no mas" and her corner was like "what you talkin about lotsa mas"

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

He looked better vs. Allen then he did vs. Rodriguez or TKZ, but he's looked a bit shot in all his recent performances IMO. Slightly shot Holloway is still one of the best FWs, though, he's just down from his personal peak.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I loving love Johnny Walker and I don't care if he ever wins another fight.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Who was the fighter in W135 or thereabouts who's striking looked like some high schooler who has been training for a few months?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Unperson_47 posted:

I loving love Johnny Walker and I don't care if he ever wins another fight.

Johnny Walker really had the right gameplan there for a while in his last fight. Using his range, had some very good kicks and stayed kick oriented for a majority of it but just couldn't put any finishing touches on anything. He's going to be a killer on the B circuit but it's looking like he won't achieve any success in the UFC against the top blokes

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Nierbo posted:

Who was the fighter in W135 or thereabouts who's striking looked like some high schooler who has been training for a few months?

Bethe Correia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_fP6rly4RM&t=29s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

As I have frequently mentioned, one of my favorite MMA memories is when Dom Cruz accepted the Comeback Fighter of the Year award for his career return in 2014. He accepted the award on crutches because he had already gotten re-injured

I literally gasped when I read this

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CarlCX posted:

I know I spend a lot of time complaining about divisions, so if I had to go down the list of people I personally care about :
  • 265: Tom Aspinall has historic levels of potential he's only now getting to realize, Shamil Gaziev is an interesting prospect and if you don't root for Chris Barnett I'm going to ban you
  • 205: Dumb as his path here has been Alex Pereira's a hell of a fighter, Jiří Procházka is incapable of being boring, Magomed Ankalaev's a great contender, Aleksandar Rakić IS boring but I love him, Khalil Rountree is fascinating from the perspective that in any given fight it's equally probable he'll look like total poo poo or knock out everyone in the first four rows of seats
  • 185: It's a loving phantom division because Sean Strickland, Israel Adesanya, Dricus du Plessis, Robert Whittaker, Khamzat Chimaev and Jared Cannonier are a killer talent lineup if only most of them could stop being shitheads/if Chimaev could exist more than once a year; Ikram Aliskerov and Caio Borralho seem like genuine future contenders worth watching and Bo Nickal is, uh, interesting; rooting for Gerald Meerschaert and Jun Yong Park is obligatory because how can you not, I'm real, real curious to see what happens with Johnny Eblen
  • 170: Shavkat Rakhmonov's gonna be a champion and it's gonna fuckin' rule, Ian Machado Garry is on the cusp of being a thing but he's got some willies to shake out, Jack Della Maddalena's wrestling defense is officially A Problem for him but he's still incredibly fun to watch, I'm a big Rinat Fakhretdinov fan for some reason I can't even explain and I'm starting to think Michael Morales might be the real deal
  • 155: I mean, it's Lightweight, goddamn near everyone at Lightweight rules in some way, it's awesome that between Arman Tsarukyan and Benoît Saint Denis and Rafael Fiziev we're finally starting to see the top-division hegemony cracking a little, Elves Brener is secretly very good, I have been ride or die for Bobby Green for more than a decade and cannot stop now
  • 145: Lightweight Jr. in terms of quality, Alexander Volkanovski is the pound for pound best in the world but I think we're at the beginning of the end, Ilia Topuria loving rules, Calvin Kattar probably isn't ever making contendership but he's fun as hell, Movsar Evloev's a great grinder and if he gets past Allen this weekend he's a problem, Joanderson Brito is my homeboy
  • 135: merab merab merab merab merab merab (also Deiveson, Farid Basharat and Rinya Nakamura are interesting-rear end prospects and I hope somehow Patchy Mix winds up in the UFC)
  • 125: Literally everyone at this division rules but I'm currently deeply personally invested in Tatsuro Taira, Jeff Molina's one of the few good eggs out there and he's fun to watch, Muhammad Mokaev's kind of a shithead but he's real fun to watch, Kyoji loving Horiguchi
  • WOMEN'S 145: like larissa pacheco's pretty cool i guess
  • WOMEN'S 135: I cannot tell you how deeply it pleases me Raquel Pennington is finally getting her title shot but Mayra Bueno Silva also rules and will probably kill her, I'm not a huge Karol Rosa fan but that last fight with Irene Aldana was fun as hell
  • WOMEN'S 125: Alexa Grasso's a great champion who's in real loving trouble as soon as Erin Blanchfield or Manon Fiorot get in there with her, which is real fun to anticipate; Natália Silva is a fantastic prospect with a great style; I'm oddly invested in Veronica Hardy's career comeback
  • WOMEN'S 115: Gillian Robertson is my homeboy, the return of Tatiana Suarez was one of the best stories of the year until her body imploded again, Lupita Godinez is a future contender and I've been ready for years

I agree with almost all of this (and most what of what I don’t agree with is because I haven’t seen the fighters in question enough) but I was just talking about folks who are likeable as personalities. There are more interesting and multifaceted fighters than ever but fewer of them who are cool or even memorable as people

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

I agree with almost all of this (and most what of what I don’t agree with is because I haven’t seen the fighters in question enough) but I was just talking about folks who are likeable as personalities. There are more interesting and multifaceted fighters than ever but fewer of them who are cool or even memorable as people

Isn't that just the kick in the teeth of it all? You've got people believing in flat Earth, lizard people, and having views that wouldn't be out of place in 1860 but they're all loving dull "I'll fight whoever they put in front of me" wastes of time.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
No, it was was worse than that, and a lot more recent. Might have been prelims. It was shockingly bad

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Oh i just found it. It was Dandois

https://youtu.be/SNYwY9Wxhbc?si=ZCkACKGbEBvKMF0o

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dana on UFC 300: “This is just going to be a type of card we’ve never done before. Every fight is a must see fight.”

indirectly suggesting that most cards have some poo poo fights on purpose

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Friday morning = One Friday Fights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-u8oTJpIg

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

dana on UFC 300: “This is just going to be a type of card we’ve never done before. Every fight is a must see fight.”

indirectly suggesting that most cards have some poo poo fights on purpose

dana has been a walking version of 'saying the quiet part out loud' in person form for years now so telling on himself and his company for their lovely practices and decisions is kind of his thing

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Some good violence this morning over in ONE

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

The Cachoeira fight has been bumped to 135 because Priscila couldn't make 125. ok.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CBC is predictably disgusted with strickland but they also call Dana out for lying

quote:

Can he sell tickets here?

Hard to say. UFC president Dana White announced that UFC 297 had sold out, and generated $7.6 million US in ticket revenue, an unusual set of figures to release two days before the event. Even more curious: as of Thursday night, Ticketmaster's website showed plenty of unsold seats. We don't know if White's proclamation was untrue or simply premature, but it, like his contention that power slap contests are comparatively safe, didn't align with the facts.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its ez to fact check, https://www.ticketmaster.ca/ufc-297-toronto-ontario-01-20-2024/event/10005F3ECE0847AB looks still about a thousand tickets left.

mewse
May 2, 2006

What Dana means when he says tickets are "sold out"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's sold out if you just count tickets sold duh

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Are we all being whooshed and sold out is like a percentage threshold, like is there some weird event holding industry nomenclature we're running afoul of?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
They look dry as gently caress, drat

https://www.threads.net/@mmajunkie/post/C2SQrdiM6xG/

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

tickets were going for$800 at the beginning of the month and $350 now lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mewse posted:

What Dana means when he says tickets are "sold out"

I’m the six-wide block of scalper tickets praying for face value.

… well kinda; that literally was me at UFC 97.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Welp, my coach, Robert Dunn, is fighting in the prelims in Unified 55, and everyone was excited that it'd be on Fight Pass. But it seems the prelims aren't?

On the off chance anyone knows of a (legal) way to purchase the PPV in the USA, I'd appreciate it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Prelims don't seem to be airing anywhere. And I already see results for them on twitter.

And sadly it seems the main card is only via FightPass. All the posters say exclusive

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He got knocked out in the first round; in the highlight he's fighting south paw for some drat reason and a sloppy right hand comes through his guard and clips him right on the chin. If he'd been in the same stance but in orthodox he'd have blocked the right hand. A gym mate says he made that decision to open up his kicks but what the fuuuuck.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

mewse posted:

CBC is predictably disgusted with strickland but they also call Dana out for lying

Well, at least some places aren't shying away from describing his hateful bilge.

I know Du Plessis is a white South African who publicly stated he'd become the first "real" Aftican champion and justified his idiocy by saying Ngannou, Adesanya, and others trained elsewhere in the world, so he loving sucks for that. But... was his assholery imited to that inter-African beef? I realllly don't want to start googling those sorts of things cause I know I'll see other results that will infuriate and depress me.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

kalensc posted:

Well, at least some places aren't shying away from describing his hateful bilge.

I know Du Plessis is a white South African who publicly stated he'd become the first "real" Aftican champion and justified his idiocy by saying Ngannou, Adesanya, and others trained elsewhere in the world, so he loving sucks for that. But... was his assholery imited to that inter-African beef? I realllly don't want to start googling those sorts of things cause I know I'll see other results that will infuriate and depress me.

As far as I know, that's the limit of it, thankfully.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kalensc posted:

I don't think he even said "real".

EDIT: Found the quote

“As far as I know, they came to America and New Zealand. I’m going to take a belt to Africa.”

“I’m the African fighting in the UFC. Myself and Cameron [Saaiman], we breathe African air. We wake up in Africa every day. We train in Africa, we’re Africa born, we’re Africa raised, we still reside in Africa, we train out of Africa. That’s an African champion, and that’s who I’ll be.”

It's super tame really but Adesenya thinks you can't be from a place if you have a skin colour he decides is wrong.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

BlindSite posted:

I don't think he even said "real".

EDIT: Found the quote

“As far as I know, they came to America and New Zealand. I’m going to take a belt to Africa.”

“I’m the African fighting in the UFC. Myself and Cameron [Saaiman], we breathe African air. We wake up in Africa every day. We train in Africa, we’re Africa born, we’re Africa raised, we still reside in Africa, we train out of Africa. That’s an African champion, and that’s who I’ll be.”

It's super tame really but Adesenya thinks you can't be from a place if you have a skin colour he decides is wrong.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1279814327776624640?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001