Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which rumored fight are you most looking forward to in 2024?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall for the Heavyweight title 4 8.89%
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at Middleweight 0 0%
Francis Ngannou vs Ryan Bader to break the sport's skull ejection record 8 17.78%
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. in some kind of amateur MMA match 1 2.22%
Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic in a double retirement bout 4 8.89%
The UFC vs The American Legal System in an antitrust fight 28 62.22%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Happy new year.

Who's your early pick for fighter of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I too wish for a controversial Muslim force to defeat Israel.

Legit lol.

I wonder if TJ Dillashaw will make a comeback, he was looking juicy AF and yolked out the other day now he's had his 50 surgeries and is back on the supps. Gotta be honest, i wouldn't mind seeing him back.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

What’s the condition of Dillashaw’s shoulder, though?

Seemed pretty hosed last time we saw him, but I don’t know the full power of post-surgery Secret Juice.

I was just speculating just because he was a massive drug cheat, but man was he an incredible fighter when he was fully healthy and in full flight. If he never went to 125 I think he cements a legacy. That being said he'll be 38 next month and has been in competitive sports his whole life, that's a lot of miles on the tyres so I doubt he comes back.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Torrez Geodude Finney

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm changing my pick for 2024 fighter of the year to Bo Nickal.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

fun to see Riyadh supplant Vegas for world capital Hypercapitalistic Gambling Hell

Probably going to continue too, the ultra wealthy love a good flex.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I don't know why but watching some old fights today I think Dricus is going to loving destroy strickland and I don't think it will be particularly close. Like I'm talking a 10-8 beatdown if it even gets out of the first round.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He's actually incredible at juuuuuust slipping out of range and counters with just incredible power and accuracy. His footwork is also outstanding for keeping himself in control the entire time. There's some subtlety to his game that I think people overlook because... mad, but he's a really elite fighter. I don't think he's the type to have a long, career or reign because of that fact but the way he generates power in short areas off slips and counters is rare. I think I'm gonna chuck some cash on him by KO.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I had never seen this particular example of Johnny Walker’s chinniness
https://youtu.be/xHDh41gl5q0?si=UjM_hhelj3gPjykM
His wake-up after the second knockdown is insane.

E: and calling it a chin problem is unfair. Bad defense followed by his brain operating in safe mode while the ref dithers.

Yeah, he doesn't have a beard like some guys do, but he often gets hit very clean and very flush and I don't see him developing a shoulder roll or a distance based offense like he could and probably should have. He was fun as hell as a prospect coming in killing dudes in under a minute but he never really rounded out. I guess that window is a small one.

He'll probably be fun for a few more years going out on his shield or putting guys out though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Oh what the gently caress I didn’t realize 297 was happening here. Maybe there’s some way Strickland and Du Pelisses (not looking that up) can be rendered inadmissible to Canada if they’re not already in the country. I’d rather a non-title headliner than those two.

I knew something was wrong when I saw UFC flags hanging outside the strip club on the way home.

Ticketmaster’s app tried to flog tickets to me just now, so I hope it’s selling like total poo poo.

Dricus is the number one contender deservedly so and Strickland is the champion and deservedly so.

The middleweight title fight deserves to be a main event lol.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I don’t care if he’s the champ or not just don’t bring that poo poo here and have it hold pressers / post-fight interviews where he drools a bunch of slurs and stans for a wannabe dictator.

Thats the neat part. It would be the same anywhere!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

BlindSite's gimmick is they like shitheads

Eh my gimmick is wanting to see the best or most interesting fights and being bored of everyone having to fall over themselves to tell you they read das capital and have a twitter account.

I dont particularly give a poo poo about either of these guys beyond watching them cause each other brain damage for a pay cheque.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like Alex pereria and everyone's favourite snow samurai seems like a good dude.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its ez to fact check, https://www.ticketmaster.ca/ufc-297-toronto-ontario-01-20-2024/event/10005F3ECE0847AB looks still about a thousand tickets left.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Are we all being whooshed and sold out is like a percentage threshold, like is there some weird event holding industry nomenclature we're running afoul of?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kalensc posted:

Well, at least some places aren't shying away from describing his hateful bilge.

I know Du Plessis is a white South African who publicly stated he'd become the first "real" Aftican champion and justified his idiocy by saying Ngannou, Adesanya, and others trained elsewhere in the world, so he loving sucks for that. But... was his assholery imited to that inter-African beef? I realllly don't want to start googling those sorts of things cause I know I'll see other results that will infuriate and depress me.

I don't think he even said "real".

EDIT: Found the quote

“As far as I know, they came to America and New Zealand. I’m going to take a belt to Africa.”

“I’m the African fighting in the UFC. Myself and Cameron [Saaiman], we breathe African air. We wake up in Africa every day. We train in Africa, we’re Africa born, we’re Africa raised, we still reside in Africa, we train out of Africa. That’s an African champion, and that’s who I’ll be.”

It's super tame really but Adesenya thinks you can't be from a place if you have a skin colour he decides is wrong.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cool quote from a genocide defending pedophile from the party you vote for but doesn't really have anything to do with Dricus just being a dude from Africa wanting to win a belt

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My apologies, I only found a transcript from the post fight. I was mistaken.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thinkin bout that 298 card

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Maybe we can all agree on that though.

Ron Pearlman can do a voice over

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Brut posted:

Huh? At what weight?

ugh gross, at least it'll be on the prelims and I can go make snacks and or buy beer instead of having to sit through Holy Holm in tyool 2024.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ZsLudtfjI

This trailer makes me think of 90s cocaine and jetski energy and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mewse posted:

It's too bad Conor is in this

I like to think he wasn't cast but that he just showed up one day and they filmed it.