Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which rumored fight are you most looking forward to in 2024?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall for the Heavyweight title 4 8.89%
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at Middleweight 0 0%
Francis Ngannou vs Ryan Bader to break the sport's skull ejection record 8 17.78%
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. in some kind of amateur MMA match 1 2.22%
Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic in a double retirement bout 4 8.89%
The UFC vs The American Legal System in an antitrust fight 28 62.22%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Palhares is great but there's a new guy I saw on the Contender Series, Torrez Finney, who is 5'8" with like 6'4" arms at middleweight. he's also from Tennessee so I'm doubly excited to see him in the UFC. it's an insane physique / body type:

https://twitter.com/punishertorrez/status/1357474829864226818

post-USADA, this guy might juice up to 205 or something

I'm only on my second cup of coffee and (not being too familiar with feet and inches) thought to myself "Aren't 6'4" arms awfully long?" before realizing that you meant arms like a 6'4" fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Lucasar posted:

Wingspan and height are often pretty close to the same, so the reach (as measured in a tale of the tape situation) of a 6'4" (193 cm) person would be right around that same length within a few inches for most people.

I think the way reach is measured is such a reductive stat as to be meaningless. For example, commentators and analysts will talk about somebody having a reach advantage over Max Holloway, but neglect to mention that Max is the taller fighter by a greater margin. If the shorter man has longer arms but has to punch upwards to reach Max's head, they lose some reach. And if Max's natural punch height is at head level for the shorter man, then it is entirely possible that Max will have the actual reach advantage. And that's not even accounting for stance differences, with Max's somewhat upright stance preserving his height advantage compared to lower or more side-on stances. And Max has narrow shoulders, so a larger portion of his wingspan is arm than it would be for a broad-shouldered fighter. But most analysts just look at two numbers and remark on the larger and then act baffled when Max seems to be the rangier guy in practice.

Wingspan is one thing, but having arms that each are 6'4" (which is what I was briefly thinking of) is another.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

One FC Friday Fights Numpangna vs Ogawa spoilers: Holy poo poo! Numpangna just knocked at least two, possibly three of Ogawa's teeth out with that elbow. Watch the slow-mo from different angles, you can see them fly...

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Brock would be very high on my list of people in wrestling/MMA who has actually, literally murdered someone and buried their body somewhere on his vast estate. No, I can't prove it, but you know it's true.