Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which rumored fight are you most looking forward to in 2024?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall for the Heavyweight title 4 8.89%
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at Middleweight 0 0%
Francis Ngannou vs Ryan Bader to break the sport's skull ejection record 8 17.78%
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. in some kind of amateur MMA match 1 2.22%
Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic in a double retirement bout 4 8.89%
The UFC vs The American Legal System in an antitrust fight 28 62.22%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FishBowlRobot posted:

Maybe it happened in the same “what if X fighter didn’t throw that spinning poo poo” alternate universe.

There's two American middleweights this could apply to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
yeah, Dillashaw Barao was not a great fight but goddamn what a performance. Simultaneously utterly humbling a champion while also making it clear why no one else had been able to do that. Even late, Barao was swinging with a fuckload of power and speed, but Dillashaw had him scouted way too well.

You can see a prototype of that style a little earlier against Assuncao but Dillashaw gasses really badly. Like as badly as I've seen below Middleweight. I remember thinking 'drat, if he could keep up that pace' and now we know how he was able to.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's funny. I was assured by some very confident people that Ngannou wouldn't be able to book another fight, never mind a high profile one, and definitely not Anthony Joshua, given the under performing PPV numbers against Fury. It's amazing how many confident stupid people there are out there. Not here, obviously. You guys know everything and are extremely handsome. I should clarify that that was not sarcasm. I genuinely love all of you and you're keeping me interested in this terrible dumb sport.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Hmm I wonder what could’ve changed before and after the Fury fight…

Oh this was after the fight. After Ngannous showed himself to be a lot more legit and dangerous than basically anyone thought. They were basing it purely on the PPV numbers. For whatever reason, a decent number of fans out there don't actually care about the fighting aspect, and just want to discuss the business side of it. It reminds me of people who play 'football manager' rather than FIFA.

cagliostr0 posted:

For Saudi Arabias purposes it doesn't really matter if people paid or pirated as long as they watched. 100m in buy money was never going to cause the event to turn a profit and turning a profit was never the goal.

That was my understanding. It was sportswashing. the PPV numbers never mattered, or at least weren't the only factor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Or just give a belt to a random Chinese billionaire.

There was one bloke. I think it was the Ali Baba guy, who paid a bunch of martial arts movie stars (the Raid guy, Tony Jaa, a couple of others) to be in an action movie where he's the hero and beats them up. It's exactly the sort of dumb thing I imagine I'd do if I was a billionaire and 'buying yourself an actual UFC belt' is a logical extension.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I still love Allen but I'm on the Evloev hype train now. It's utterly baffling to me that Dana White is big mad and undercutting it instead of doing his literal job and promoting it.

Remember that, given limitless resources to create his own sport's league, Dana White came up with Slap fighting. I don't think he actually likes fighting unless it's dudes trading brain damage with no defence whatsoever. Literally anything else has always bored him and as he gets older and becomes more unhinged the way billionaires inevitably do, it infuriates him rather than boring him.

CommonShore posted:

everyone is so bad at this

New thread title.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

Don't forget the original remake was going star Ronda

One proposed Ronda vehicle was a parody of...something written by Tina Fey and there's a morbid curiosity as to how bad that would have turned out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Merab retiring Aldo with an Aldo esque performance is seared into my mind. Aldo just could not get anything going against him, like he was stuck in second gear. After Aldo did that to so many people it is, in its own way, quite an impressive passing of the torc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

This implies, worryingly, that One thinks Sage is a draw.

This is a translation error. He's drawn. By a cartoonist. Each morning.