Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which rumored fight are you most looking forward to in 2024?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall for the Heavyweight title 4 8.89%
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at Middleweight 0 0%
Francis Ngannou vs Ryan Bader to break the sport's skull ejection record 8 17.78%
Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. in some kind of amateur MMA match 1 2.22%
Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic in a double retirement bout 4 8.89%
The UFC vs The American Legal System in an antitrust fight 28 62.22%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm gonna die laughing if Ngannou knocks out Joshua. There's already been so much retconning of opinions, "Usyk was the only good HW the whole time" is going to be delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

It's funny. I was assured by some very confident people that Ngannou wouldn't be able to book another fight, never mind a high profile one, and definitely not Anthony Joshua, given the under performing PPV numbers against Fury. It's amazing how many confident stupid people there are out there.

Hmm I wonder what could’ve changed before and after the Fury fight…

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh this was after the fight. After Ngannous showed himself to be a lot more legit and dangerous than basically anyone thought. They were basing it purely on the PPV numbers. For whatever reason, a decent number of fans out there don't actually care about the fighting aspect, and just want to discuss the business side of it. It reminds me of people who play 'football manager' rather than FIFA.

Yeah I meant that the PPV numbers for the fight where almost no one even gave Ngannou a puncher's chance have no bearing on the PPV numbers now that people believe Ngannou can hang with elite boxers and has a very real chance of KOing Joshua.

The booking is also fantastic from a gently caress the UFC perspective. There goes MMA's biggest star while they struggle to put on anything compelling for 300.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 7, 2024

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah. I think Strickland got extremely lucky with getting the title shot against Adesanya, who’s defensive turn as champion left him incredibly vulnerable to getting his jab shut down. Strickland does not look good when he’s forced into the back foot and I expect DDP to swarm and crush him.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ugh. I don't want to see Gaethje gently caress Max up. Holloway has seemed a little shot to me, and Gaethje is a terrible matchup for him moving up a division. The Poirer fight but worse.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

Haven't watching Dustin vs Max since it happened, but that was pretty one sided, wasn't it?
Dustin's power was clearly hurting Max. Like, you finally saw Max in trouble and that is rare. Dustin just absorb what Max had for him, the power discrepancy was very clear

It was less one sided than everyone remembers, because Max rallied and had some success after he was hurt repeatedly early, but it was a brutal beating nonetheless.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

kalensc posted:

But have you considered "those guys are shitheads, so gently caress 'em"? :blessed:

BlindSite's gimmick is they like shitheads

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There’s no one else to root for even if they both lose and the UFC pulls shenanigans.

UFC MW: Bobby Knuckles drowning in a sea of shitheads

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Is Max actually past his prime? He’s still putting together good performances. He just can’t beat Volk. Disclaimer that I don’t remember the Arnold Allen fight that well.

He looked better vs. Allen then he did vs. Rodriguez or TKZ, but he's looked a bit shot in all his recent performances IMO. Slightly shot Holloway is still one of the best FWs, though, he's just down from his personal peak.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

White Americans shouldn't imply that Native Americans aren't real Americans, even if the Native American person is living somewhere else.

It's obvious DDP dismissing the other Africans in the UFC even in that quote, between incorrectly claiming the belts never went to Africa, that he is "the African" (along with Saaiman, but ignoring Themba Gorimbo, training in Zimbabwe and who he knows), that still residing and training in Africa is what an African champion is. The context of the quote makes it worse, too, where the reporter asks him if he's disappointed that the African champions have been losing their UFC belts or if he sees it as an opportunity. It came after he said he wants to be the "first real African champion". DDP knew what he was doing and doubled down on it, before eventually walking it back when he was getting called out for it.

It would be extremely easy for him to say "I want to be the first champion training in Africa" if that's all he meant. He didn't.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

?? I thought Evloev vs. Allen was a good fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The UFC should be promoting Evloev with side by side sequences of him doing mat return sequences on Allen and Khabib doing some of his best mat return sequences before he started using his signature Dagestani handcuffs. This is a guy that has a way better chance of being "the next Khabib!" than any of the guys they've breathlessly promoted that way. Or at least the next Makhachev if that title has already been claimed. I wasn't fully sold on him before this fight given the level of competition, with Ige being his only notable win in a favorable style matchup, but he rose to the occasion in a good fight against a great fighter. It was a very close fight, but his fundamentals look so solid he should be able to make a few adjustments to widen the gap.

I still love Allen but I'm on the Evloev hype train now. It's utterly baffling to me that Dana White is big mad and undercutting it instead of doing his literal job and promoting it.