Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Happy New Year cobbers.

Politics In The Land Down Under:

Liberal Party of Australia
Often referred to as 'the LNP' due to being conjoined to the National Party since the 1940s (and having merged with same in Queensland), the Liberals are liberal only in the 'small government' sense. In every other sense, they're Australia's Conservative Party, nasty, brutal Thatcherites to the very core. The average Liberal politician starts their day with grated kittens on toast while listening to a podcast about the benefits of using the poor and mentally ill as garden mulch. It's not terribly uncommon to find closet Nazis in their ranks (or even a few dumb enough to fall out of the closet).

Leader: Peter 'Voldemort' Dutton

The National Party
The other half of the conjoined twins that make up the LNP. Ostensibly represent farmers but underneath that there's a lot of dog whistling and signalling about White Australia and rich people that a lot of their dimmer voters completely miss.

Leader: Barnaby 'Beetrooter' Joyce David 'Invisible' Littleproud

Australian Labor Party
Having steered dangerously close to the right and then into the centre like a high-range drunk driver, the ALP is too scared of their own shadow (and the News Corp/Fairfax lugenpresse) to do anything more than make sternly worded speeches in Parliament and waste public money on poorly-designed or inconsequential horseshit. Meanwhile the national economy needs a good kick in the guts, inflation is killing the millennial industry, plus homelessness, crime, violence, misinformation, untreated mental illness and corruption are all cooking together into a big poo poo stew while Albo shuffles his feet and makes meek noises about housing funds and how he used to live in public housing too.

Leader: Anthony 'Albo' Albanese

The Greens
Bunch of hippy-dippy muesli-munching pie-in-the-sky twatmuffins who, 50% of the time, actively get in their own way and impede technological progress in this country. When they manage to get their poo poo sorted they act largely as a foil for either the ALP or LNP, never managing to take power on their own.

Leader: Adam Bandt

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

why do we have an auspol thread when the only politics that matter are victorian?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Voting progressive no to 2024 to own the libs

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

This divisive new thread seeks only to denigrate the silent majority who firmly believe the 2023 thread was fine. Why is Mr GrandTheftAutism and his out of touch government persisting with this thread?!?

*MSM reproduces press release in full*

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
prediction: albo lies about having called trump to congratulate him, turns into a diplomatic incident that results in the dissolution of AUKUS and we crawl back to france for our $999 billion submarines, to be delivered in 2161.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Animal Friend posted:

why do we have an auspol thread when the only politics that matter are victorian?

A Victorian who thinks they are the center of everything?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
its not 2024 until i stop writing 2023 when i do paper work

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

its not 2024 until i stop writing 2023 when i do paper work

So 2025?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Capt.Whorebags posted:

This divisive new thread seeks only to denigrate the silent majority who firmly believe the 2023 thread was fine. Why is Ms GrandTheftAutism and her out of touch government persisting with this thread?!?

*MSM reproduces press release in full*

fixed

I don't believe there is a silent majority, I see no evidence of any majority at all, I see only a sad group of individuals who are refusing to cope with the changes occurring in our society right under their noses.

*MSM quietly buries the above statement*

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I had completely forgotten who the leader of the National's was. They hadn't shown up on my news radar for months.

Curse you for reminding me.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Comstar posted:

I had completely forgotten who the leader of the National's was. They hadn't shown up on my news radar for months.

Curse you for reminding me.

Ahaha I genuinely forgot it was beetroot again.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
joyce isn't the leader of the nats, it's still littleproud. there were rumours back in july that joyce was planning a challenge but that didn't go anywhere lol

ideally joyce will give up on becoming leader of the nats again and go cause problems in the qld parliament (he reportedly considered this last time he lost the leadership, with ambition to try to become premier)

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

lih posted:

joyce isn't the leader of the nats, it's still littleproud. there were rumours back in july that joyce was planning a challenge but that didn't go anywhere lol

ideally joyce will give up on becoming leader of the nats again and go cause problems in the qld parliament (he reportedly considered this last time he lost the leadership, with ambition to try to become premier)

That explains why I forgot!!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

GrandTheftAutism posted:

fixed

I don't believe there is a silent majority, I see no evidence of any majority at all, I see only a sad group of individuals who are refusing to cope with the changes occurring in our society right under their noses.

*MSM quietly buries the above statement*

ugh, another woke leftist precious about pronouns

(j/k, sorry!)

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Who to vote for things to be not poo poo? tia

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Spudd posted:

Giant Meteor 2024.

Preference Greens second.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

We are stuck in 2023 forever, nuke this thread

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lih posted:

Fixed the OP. gently caress it's hard to keep up when they keep playing musical leaders.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

ugh, another woke leftist precious about pronouns

(j/k, sorry!)

and every time you whinge we add five more sets of pronouns :P

Spudd posted:

Definitely not CDP that's for loving sure

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Joyce as Queensland Premier is a nightmare scenario.

Please do not say that.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eric "Son Of A Nazi" Abetz wants to come back to politics

quote:

A former Liberal senator who served 28 years in federal parliament is chasing a political resurgence.

Eric Abetz, 65, is seeking party endorsement for the southern Tasmanian seat of Franklin at the next state election, scheduled for 2025.

He said after being encouraged by the community to consider state politics, he believed he could "make a positive difference for the people of Tasmania" and help a "very successful Liberal government to achieve even more".

"I have a reputation of being a person that says what he means, means what he says," Mr Abetz said.

"I've remained active within the community, be it in aged care, disability care, in a voluntary capacity as a consultant, so I see myself being able to offer a suite of values that hopefully will appeal to the people at Franklin."

Mr Abetz first entered federal parliament in 1994, and continued to serve until he failed to win re-election in the 2022 poll.

In that election, Mr Abetz was placed in the vulnerable third spot on the Liberal Senate ticket, a demotion he put down to "ageism and sexism".

In a radio interview after the loss, he said there had been "no criticism" of his "work ethic", abilities and "being a voice for reason in this silly, politically correct world", lamenting he could not "do anything about the day I was born, nor the sex that I was given courtesy of the chromosome interaction, whatever, that caused me to be a male".

Today, Mr Abetz said he still had the desire to serve his community.

"I believe that given my ministerial and frontbench experience in Canberra, I'll be able to be of even greater assistance to the parliamentary party should I be fortunate to be a member of it, especially in the very difficult and fraught area of federal-state relations," he said.

"Knowing how the federal system works will be of great benefit to ensuring we achieve maximum leverage to get the best possible deals out of Canberra."

No, Eric, you were bumped off the ticket because you're a Nazi in all but name. Tasmania can do without your 'values'.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Animal Friend posted:

Sir/Madam/Mx,
I'd kindly posit that as WA has not only built new rails lines, but also trains. WA politics are supremely important. Also the hilarious situation where the Nationals lead the coalition here because they have more members.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Konomex posted:

Also the hilarious situation where the Nationals lead the coalition here because they have more members.

lol did not know this

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Recoome posted:

Voting progressive no to 2024 to own the libs

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Eediot Jedi posted:

lol did not know this

Same in Qld

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Konomex posted:

Sir/Madam/Mx,
I'd kindly posit that as WA has not only built new rails lines, but also trains. WA politics are supremely important. Also the hilarious situation where the Nationals lead the coalition here because they have more members.

WA, the state where children die in underfunded hospitals while politicians boast of a $3,000,000,000+ surplus.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Anidav posted:

Same in Qld

Is there a way we are meant to be able to distinguish them since they're the same party? It's very vibes based for me. Mp for a gold coast seat? Liberal. Mp for western brisbane seat? Liberal. North brisbane? That's a Nat.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SecretOfSteel posted:

WA, the state where children die in underfunded hospitals

and nightmare prisons

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Konomex posted:

Sir/Madam/Mx,

WA nats and WA libs dont have a coalition

nat lead the opposition because of numbers though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
OP, how long you been sitting on that thread title?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/JoeHockey/status/1744078492592197754

I do find it fascinating that we've basically let bulk billing vanish almost overnight without a fuss, let alone a fight.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

freebooter posted:

I do find it fascinating that we've basically let bulk billing vanish almost overnight without a fuss, let alone a fight.

Bulk billing has been killed by the indexation freeze. It was an easy thing to cut in the budget by not indexing payments. Most taxpayers don’t understand how this works and healthcare isn’t exactly a vote winner when it doesn’t impact you.

Why would you bulk bill in the year 2024? No way in hell I’m bulk billing and leaving more than 50% of my potential fee on the table.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Predator arm meme with doctors on one hand and welfare recipients on the other

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Can we be very poo poo for another year? I have faith!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

freebooter posted:

It's nice that he's still mad about it ten years later.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

freebooter posted:

*angrily puffs on a cigar*

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

You mean angry washing machine noises surely?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Surely nobody seriously thinks the co-payment would have stayed at $5.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Recoome posted:

Bulk billing has been killed by the indexation freeze. It was an easy thing to cut in the budget by not indexing payments.

Yeah I'm not arguing doctors should be obliged to pick up the slack, I'm arguing that the government shouldn't have done this and it's amazing we just let them get away with it. Outside the context of GP visits becoming just another thing going up in price during a once-in-a-generation cost of living crisis, I don't think they would have dared.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Eediot Jedi posted:

You mean angry washing machine noises surely?

:hockeynomics:

e:

freebooter posted:

Yeah I'm not arguing doctors should be obliged to pick up the slack, I'm arguing that the government shouldn't have done this and it's amazing we just let them get away with it. Outside the context of GP visits becoming just another thing going up in price during a once-in-a-generation cost of living crisis, I don't think they would have dared.

Oh absolutely. I do think though that it's not a case of "we let them get away with it" rather the framing is about not indexing rebates etc. which is a stealth cut.

It's a real shame that the ALP don't have the spine to do anything about it. I really think they might as well be the LNP at this stage and I do expect Albanese to do his best Shorten impression and small target it for the rest of the government's term. It'll be easy too because only the Greens are making any meaningful noise on issues like housing and the ALP are too focused on a demographic that the LNP already have cornered.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
You’d think “we’ll reverse the damage the Libs did to Medicare and bring back bulk billing” would be a pretty easy sell but what the gently caress do I know