Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I had completely forgotten who the leader of the National's was. They hadn't shown up on my news radar for months.

Curse you for reminding me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I got bulk billed for a GP visit today. I was completely shocked.

The Greens should be yelling from the rooftops that they'll bring Bulk Billing back. But it's just being killed and no one seems to care anymore.

I booked in for a covid vac and it's going to take 3 weeks before I can get booked in for it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

go_banana posted:

I walked into a chain chemist at lunch and was in and out in 5 minutes. Unless you have specific circumstances, just do this.

Err that's what I did.

To be fair the only other place on the list within 7km that lists an available date as...a weeks waiting list.Which is better than 3 weeks the chain pharmacy quoted for me.

Word on the street is that the ex-labor MP Albo has put in charge of investigating ColesWorth...previously worked as a consultant to Coles.

The report will be a complete waste of time and say there is a range of factors involved and it's very complicated and they can't find any evidence of deliberate price gouging.

The fix is in.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 10, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Seemlar posted:

hilariously his day job is being an exec at The Enhanced Games, an organization that wants to create an alternative to the Olympics Games where performance enhancing drugs are fully allowed

Wait back up a bit. How does such an organization get enough funding to HAVE anyone doing it as a day job.

Like at least the Olympics and other sporting federations that are all corrupt actually have sports that can get gambler advertising to pay for.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Here's the pitch for the Sydney Cycle Superhighway if anyone's interested.

I just wanted you to know, we’re all counting on you.

Now please do Melbourne.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

freebooter posted:

Will the upper income bracket actually be "worse off" or is their tax cut just not going to be as large as it was going to be?

Instead of getting 9000 extra money, they get 5000.

At the lowest end, you get 500.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Via reddit: the owner of Robinsons Bookshops has some…opinions.

From the thread:

quote:

theslowrush-

Boy do I have a story for you!

The suburb / estate / club recently wanted to put together a ‘welcome to country’ and smoking ceremony, to show respect for the land we’re currently on and to raise an aboriginal flag next to the Australia one.

Susanne who happens to live in the estate got extremely outraged that the club wanted to put this ceremony on. So what did she do? Not only was Susanne against this idea, she got together a group of other old racist boomers (calling themselves ‘Concerned residents of X’) and letter dropped thousands of houses in the estate telling them what an awful idea this was, why do we need to welcome to our own land, and how they would do everything in their power to make the board members resign if they went ahead with it. She even put together this GoFundMe dedicated to shooting the idea down, because god forbid the club flew an aboriginal flag next to the Australia flag!

Susanne unfortunately got her wish in the end after threatening the board members, and the ceremony was cancelled (postponed indefinitely). She used the $1,000 she raised from the GoFundMe to buy drinks for anyone involved in her racist party and put on a celebration. It was absolutely disgusting behaviour, and I’m sure there are countless more like it.

Edit: bonus picture of her famous letter drop for the media:

quote:

dontatmelizardpeople

Some highlights for you:

Group chats on social media between staff were banned because it “encourages bullying” after she found out that people were talking about her in group chats. (This was unenforceable and I’m pretty sure not legal).

Told staff who were uncomfortable selling the Matt Walsh “Johnny the Walrus” anti-trans book that if they didn’t want to sell it, they should find another job because at Robinsons “we don’t cancel books” (the absolute irony of saying “we don’t cancel books” then tweeting about the books she’s cancelling).

During Pride month, after staff wanted to do LGBT displays, she sent out a memo that the colour scheme of pride month would be orange, and not highlight any LGBT books, so that “everyone” would feel welcome at our stores. There are a lot of people working at Robinsons who are part of the LGBT community and this was very hard on them.

I feel for all the staff still there.

Looks like I'm cancelling that local bookstore.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 28, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Channel 9 is using the Adobe defence in an attempt to hide the real news story: New Nine boss once defended a man’s sexual relationship with a minor in a column

quote:

On November 26, 2004, The Daily Telegraph published a piece by McIlveen titled “Too quick to judge loss and young love”. McIlveen, a Wyoming native who described himself as familiar with the scene of the crash, said:

Ray Hadley cautiously but firmly raised the issue yesterday in his morning segment on Radio 2GB, tapping the mood of consternation surrounding the background to this terrible accident. The tone of the program, as with other talkback calls and water-cooler comment at work, was this: So he was 33 and she was 15? That means the girl must have been having sex at, what, 14? 13?

McIlveen continued, “One fact is irrefutable — under the law governing the age of consent, and under different circumstances, the story of the relationship between [the couple] could have played out very differently.”

“But those who would rush to condemn this dead couple should appraise themselves of a
few facts,” continued McIlveen.

McIlveen went on to note how “the idea of a teenage girl falling pregnant to a man more than twice her age is deeply shocking to some people”, but said “[the girl’s father] was comfortable with the man his daughter had chosen and that should be more than enough”, going on to describe the “real advantages” of children born to young parents.

“Surely the real issue to emerge from this catastrophe is the access of testosterone-charged, inexperienced drivers to powerful cars. It’s not about young couples in love,” he wrote.

“We should be praising [the girl] for committing to one of life’s biggest challenges at such a young age.

“While her friends were working out how to talk their way into local nightclubs, [the girl] was preparing to raise a child.”

McIlveen then cited a 2004 Productivity Commission report that presented a declining fertility rate as a challenge for Australia heading into the future.

“For all the controversy surrounding their relationship, [the man and teenager] were doing their bit to address this problem … the last thing [the community needs] is moralisers lecturing on the rights and wrongs of teenage pregnancy.”

At the time of publication of McIlveen’s article, section 66C of the Crimes Act in New South Wales outlined sexual intercourse with a child between the ages of 14 and 16 as an offence that carried the penalty of imprisonment for up to 10 years. This remains the case today.

The print version of the article shows that it was accompanied by a cartoon depicting a heavily pregnant schoolgirl.

Spoiler because it's going to make you throw up.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

23 Skidoo posted:

https://youtu.be/PRqUVh29LGQ?si=uEwogJbpp-yrm6kC

Many people dislike Jordies for reasons various, but holy poo poo is this terrifying.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol 2024: Whose laughing now

I hope you're all happy he's been cancelled.

In other news via reddit

quote:

In another remarkable PR attempt that will definitely succeed (/s) Susanne Horman was on the Bolt report last night, continuing to gaslight everyone about her tweets (above).

To save you the pain of watching ten minutes of Bolt, here are the important take away points:

Susanne still insists the screenshots are doctored. No evidence provided.

Susanne claims there is a growing trend of books that are aggressive towards white Australians.

mEnS bOoKs (Bolt gave an example of Biggles but then acknowledged Biggles was a bit racist but whatever).

Bolt finishes the interview by almost saying “support freedom of speech” but quickly changed to “support freedom o…support a nice person”.

And this

quote:

Australia’s richest businesspeople have become major backers of conservative lobby group Advance Australia, which helped lead the “no” campaign at the Indigenous Voice to parliament referendum.

Trevor St Baker’s St Baker Enterprises donated $50,000 to the group, updated Australian Electoral Commission disclosures show from the 2022-23 financial year.

St Baker, worth $1.2 billion according to the 2023 Australian Financial Review Rich List, sold the Vales Point coal power station in NSW for several hundred million in 2022 to Czech coal baron Pavel Tykac.

Former Shark Tank judge and serial tech investor Steve Baxter donated $20,000 to Advance Australia through his company Pesca Aviation. Mr Baxter told The AFR he had been to pre-founding meetings of the group and knew its executive director, Matthew Sheahan. He said he donated in part because the referendum “was diabolical and needed to be defeated”.

Mr Baxter has been recently trying to sell a new defence-focused venture capital fund to backers.

“People don’t seem to have issues with people backing GetUp. Why is it not OK to back Advance?” he said. Asked why he had not focused his donations on the Liberal Party, he said: “I don’t think the Coalition is very conservative.”

The largest backer of Advance was Perth car dealer Brian Anderson, in his 90s, who donated $1 million through his company Hadley Holdings. It was not the only westerly donation the conservative lobby group attracted. One of Perth’s wealthiest families, the Martins, donated $20,000 through their company, Coogee Chemicals.

Kennards Self Storage’s Sam Kennard, an early backer of Advance and board member of the Centre for Independent Studies, gave $115,000 through his company Siesta Holdings.

Bakers Delight founder Roger Gillespie donated $20,000 to Advance and $14,000 to the Liberal Party in late 2022. Mr Gillespie told The Financial Review he backed the group due to its position on the referendum.

Ronald Pitcher AM, founder of accounting firm Pitcher Partners, donated $32,500 to Advance in the 2022-23 financial year.

Kenneth Warriner, the former chief executive of Consolidated Pastoral and friend of the late Kerry Packer, donated $20,000 to Advance, and Marcus Blackmore, who publicly backed the “no” campaign in the Voice referendum, donated $25,000.

Melbourne Storm director and transport businessman Brett Ralph donated $50,000 to Advance through his company, JMR Management Consultancy Services.

These are the people who need to be cancelled, not a journalist.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I consider the arguments against Bucky as good practice against the arguments the LNP, Oil and Gas companies, conservatives , climate deniers (but I repeat myself) and other people who are committing crimes against humanity and planet.

None of them or here are arguing in good faith.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Bingo time- Is your workplace paying men more? Some up to 75% more?

Shout out to the companies with 95% women workers with a 73% median pay favor of men.

Round up the usual suspects, though some will surprise you (Rio Tinto?!):

quote:

Supermarket Woolworths: 5.7 per cent
Rival Coles: 6 per cent
Smaller rival Aldi: 5.3 per cent
Department store Myer: 2.8 per cent
Retailer JB HiFi: 1.9 per cent
Parent company of carb-pusher Bakers Delight: 35 per cent
Burger chain Grill'd: 12.5 per cent
Optometrists Specsavers: 7.4 per cent
Travel agents Flight Centre: 16.8 per cent
Telco Optus: 13.5 per cent
Commonwealth Bank: 29.8 per cent
Westpac: 27 per cent
ANZ: 22.7 per cent
NAB: 16.4 per cent
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank: 24 per cent
Goldman Sachs: 32.7 per cent
Barrenjoey: 33.8 per cent
IAG: 27.5 per cent
QBE: 24 per cent
Bupa: 33.8 per cent
Medibank: 17.8 per cent
Collingwood Football Club: 42 per cent
Adelaide Football Club: 30 per cent
Port Adelaide Football Club: 9.8 per cent
Fremantle Football Club: 32 per cent
Essendon Football Club: 23.1 per cent
Richmond Football Club: 16 per cent
North Melbourne Football Club: 2.9 per cent
Wests Tigers Football Club: 4.8 per cent
SANFL: 4.7 per cent
Football Australia: 0 per cent
AFL: 0 per cent
Douglass Hanly Moir Pathology: 11 per cent
Australian Red Cross Society: 10.4 per cent
St Vincents Hospital (Melbourne): 6.6 per cent
RSL Care RDNS: 0.9 per cent
St John of God Health Care: -2.9 per cent
BHP Group: 18.9 per cent
Rio Tinto: -2.3 per cent
Hancock Prospecting: 25 per cent
Inpex Australia: 24.5 per cent
Woodside Energy: 16.1 per cent
Thiess: 8.7 per cent
GHD: 26 per cent
PwC: 4 per cent
KPMG: 12.9 per cent
Deloitte: 16.7 per cent
EY: 15.9 per cent
Accenture: 15.8 per cent
Boston Consulting Group: 27.2 per cent
McKinsey Pacific Rim: 33.4 per cent
Maurice Blackburn: 31.7 per cent
Shine Lawyers: 25.5 per cent
MinterEllison: 22.2 per cent
Allens: 9.8 per cent
Herbert Smith Freehills: 17.3 per cent
Clayton Utz: 18.9 per cent
Watpac Construction: 41.6 per cent
Built Management Services: 35.6 per cent
Schindler Lifts: 34.9 per cent
Henley (Arch Unit Trust): 33.3 per cent
Simonds Group: 29.7 per cent
Hansen Yuncken: 28.6 per cent
Lendlease: 24.7 per cent
South Coast Baptist College WA: 42.4 per cent
Central Queensland University: 20.7 per cent
Catholic Education WA: 16.7 per cent
Methodist Ladies College WA: 33.1 per cent
University of Technology Sydney: 11.9 per cent
Australian National University: 7.9 per cent
University of Melbourne: 7.4 per cent

Mines at 10% difference. In favor of women.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 26, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
ASIO being nice to the rich and powerful again: We know you're a spy, please stop it

Former AU politician (federal presumably) was told by ASIO they knew he was a spy and to please stop doing it. No we won't tell you who it is. No we won't charge them for being one. No you can trust us.

I'm betting it was Abbott. He's been very quiet in public.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Fed Police: Arrest that man! He's one of THEM!

LNP: Aha! One of THEM! We knew it! Just as we suspected!

Media: Look! We were warned!

Fed Police several hours later: Err we just checked the video footage. He's innocent. Some other (presumably an Australian) did the dirty deed. Who could possibly have done that first? We'll continue to support the LNP though.

News.com.au: Let us never speak of this again.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Other factors though is that the quality of housing is much better than it used to be.

Have you watched the horror stories on Site Inspections? Just one nightmare after another of the quality of housing .

Some of the houses are multiple millions and just as bad if not worse than the sub 1 million ones out in the edges of the city.

I usually can't finish the video's because it's so depressing and/or horrifying.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Labor wins by-election on first preferences.

Media - This is a surprise and disappointment to Labor (that they won). Labor sources were sure they were doomed and were disappointed to have a positive result. The Labor win can only be a positive for Peter Dutton and continue to give him momentum.

Government are not supposed to win by-elections, little lone raise their vote. At least, so the media would have you believe.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Animal Friend posted:

boggles the mind how, in Victoria specifically, all new buildings are some kind of poo poo since the mid 90s lol

That’s when builders could self regulate.

It was supposed to cut red tape and making building quicker and cheaper.

It did not.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

KingEup posted:

Would anyone support an Australian politician who proposed making alcohol ‘prescription only’?

An excellent idea and I fully approve of your proposal.

It kills more people than vapes I suspect.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
When the alternative to peaceful protest for blocking half a road for 30 minutes is 3 weeks immediately jail the alternative is violent protest for 3 minutes and 3 years in jail.

If I get killed during one of these events, please blame the Government. Because this poo poo is inevitable.

Eventually it gets to the point of either being late and go to jail or violent revolution and go to jail (if you fail). More than 1 government has fallen over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Petition to change thread name to :

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol 2024: "stupid white bastard"

We all know the Submarine's won't be built, but may use coal if built anyway.