Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/JoeHockey/status/1744078492592197754

I do find it fascinating that we've basically let bulk billing vanish almost overnight without a fuss, let alone a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Recoome posted:

Bulk billing has been killed by the indexation freeze. It was an easy thing to cut in the budget by not indexing payments.

Yeah I'm not arguing doctors should be obliged to pick up the slack, I'm arguing that the government shouldn't have done this and it's amazing we just let them get away with it. Outside the context of GP visits becoming just another thing going up in price during a once-in-a-generation cost of living crisis, I don't think they would have dared.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah I'm originally from the UK and moved here about 12 years ago. Recently went back there for 6 months (for partners mat leave) and the decline since I left was staggering and immediately obvious as soon as you had any sort of contact with the healthcare system. The GP which used to routinely give me same day appointments when I was a kid was weeks booked out. Also private healthcare ads were everywhere. Australians as a whole have no idea how much further there is to fall.

I sincerely think that allowing bulk billing to basically vanish overnight is one of the worst things that's happened to Australian society this century, but I'd still take Australia's healthcare system over what the UK's was like when I lived there 10 years ago (let alone what I imagine it's like now).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

It's gotta be in summer. Changing the date is a hard enough sell without taking away an opportunity to day drink in the sun.

This is correct and I'm surprised by how little I see it raised in these discussions.

It's unfortunate that January 26 really is in a sort of ideal spot on the calendar. The only better spot would be about two weeks earlier, to bookend the Christmas/NY/first 2 weeks of January holiday that most of the country takes.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Will the upper income bracket actually be "worse off" or is their tax cut just not going to be as large as it was going to be?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

an egg posted:

(taking ukraine is a rational act in the face of climate change.)

Oh for sure man, this is 100% the fifth-dimensional chess Putin is playing behind his irredentist rants, congratulations on reading between the lines

edit - in fact, sorry, I just have to know more. Did wherever you picked this theory up from enlighten you further as to precisely what benefit occupying Ukraine would grant Russia in a warming world? Warm water ports? Warmer climate agriculture? Why do you think the colder and more northerly nation would be strategically inclined to push south?

freebooter fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 30, 2024

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

an egg posted:

ukraine's farmland is going to be resistant to climate change due to the topography of the region - the winds come in off the black sea and catch in the mountains

Really rigorous argument here, colour me convinced

The greatest conceivable return of Australia's prodigal son

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Captain Theron posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-05/young-money-story-trailblazer-financial-literacy/103390874
Yes, the problem is the youth are poor at identifying what has value or not. It's also their fault that HECS debts are higher, they should have negotiated a better price for their degree.

The youth do in fact have poor financial literacy though as does every other generation

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Nemesis was good, I quite enjoyed Turnbull calling Peter Dutton a thug on national television

https://twitter.com/verynormalman/status/1754469744080756740

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Randomly flicked over to the ABC late at night and how the gently caress do John Barron and that Chaser guy still have a political analysis show? It's neither funny nor astute. This is negatively polarising me towards the Sky News "Channel 2" guys, abolish this poo poo and give me my 7c a day back

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

....or D) he was just plain fall-down drunk and lied about a bad reaction with meds

This is what happens when MPs feel the need to talk to the press gallery instead of to the Australian public, who are going to be more or less fine with "yeah I got drunk." I thought Barnaby of all people was actually fairly attuned to that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

One day you're a lauded public servant whistleblower, a few decades down the track you're wearing a pig costume and gobbling fake $100 bills with Bob Katter... We've all been there

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Something’s got to change. I hope.

Nothing will change as long as a large majority of voters are homeowners, because they have a vested interest in maintaining the value of their existing property. We'll likely end up in a situation like the UK, where Sydney and Melbourne (London) are just utterly unattainable unless you bought in two decades ago (and increasingly unattainable to even rent in) and young people live there in semi-poverty during their 20s to build up their careers before eventually decamping to regional towns to start a family.

Is this good? No, but I don't think it's even really the fault of political parties, it's a majority of our own society because we've painted ourselves into this ridiculous corner where a huge amount of most families' wealth is tied up in their house.

If it ultimately leads to a de-concentration of population from Australia's handful of biggest cities it might not be the worst thing in the world, fifty years down the track. Sucks to live through it though.

Bill Posters posted:

Sam Dastyari? Or would that be too obvious?

He was the first one I thought of when Burgess said it yesterday. Occam's Razor and all that.

When's Parliament sitting next? If it doesn't come out before then, somebody will surely drop the name under privilege.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

All that an appreciating housing market does is make it easier to downsize

Good news for boomers!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

23 Skidoo posted:

Also could be educated by ER people more broadly on the impact of Anthropogenic Climate Change if they wanted.

Me stuck in traffic for two hours on the West Gate in the year 2024: "oh drat I'd never heard of climate change, this sounds bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I agree, extinction rebellion should draw on the many examples throughout history of successful protests that didn’t inconvenience anyone.

This was not the contention. The contention was that being stuck in traffic for two hours could "educate" people.