Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Comstar posted:

Err that's what I did.

To be fair the only other place on the list within 7km that lists an available date as...a weeks waiting list.Which is better than 3 weeks the chain pharmacy quoted for me.

Where the hell do you live that is simultaneously populous enough to have a waiting list and yet not populous enough to have more chemist's near you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/TonyHWindsor/status/1749726371381993862?t=luMO-4sk_VVIZxSWAf0DQA&s=19

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, neither China nor Russia have the capability to invade Australia without a decade plus of obvious blue water navy build up. The only way a war with either could actually reach here is a nuclear strike, at which point we're hosed anyway. Any naval invasion of Australia would have to deal with Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia first, and none of them are particularly keen on China's ongoing bullshit in the South China Sea.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

an egg posted:

i hope this is true.

i am more afraid of america than of russia or china. those two countries i believe are rational and well aware that nobody wins a nuclear war. (taking ukraine is a rational act in the face of climate change.) america i don't trust not to do something unbelievably stupid, and then of course they'd drag us in with them, that's what they always do.

I'm sorry, you believe Putin is rational? The same Putin who has started the largest European land war since WW2? The same Putin who was just talking about his claim to parts of Finland and Alaska? And that's not to even begin discussing Xi's speed run of the Great Leap Forward.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Thirded

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Noted and appreciated thanks webmeister, very kind.

To highlight the wild contrast between the vast supply-chain of petroleum and the simplicity of cycling. Because this is, fundamentally, about how we source the energy we need to move. We should be clear and define what it is we're actually talking about. It's been whittled down from previous drafts at least, thanks in part to people in here.
:words:

I mean this very sincerely Bucky, no one else will care. If you ever want anyone to look at this seriously, you need to massively trim it down, gut all the unnecessary tangents and break it down into numbers.

No one with any decision making power is ever going to care about your proposal looking like this. It doesn't matter how great it is, how cheap it is or how easy it would be to accomplish, they will immediately write you off and toss it in the bin.

If you actually, truly want people to take this seriously you have to take on board all the advice you've been given and make some major changes to the proposal. Don't make excuses about why it's great as it is. No one cares. It needs to be short, simple and clear with the numbers.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

trunkh posted:

Whats amusing to me is that Bucky has actually received some very good advice from some people quite qualified to give it.

But the manifesto persists. The only way any of this happens is if they become a billionaire willing to fund it themselves

It's just so exhausting. He keeps Kramering in here with his brilliant ideas, demanding feedback and then just ignores all of it and continues doing his own thing and clogging the thread with endless paragraphs of textual diarrhoea.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

He's still hacked! Those tricky hackers, not clearing everyone's cache.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-05/young-money-story-trailblazer-financial-literacy/103390874
Yes, the problem is the youth are poor at identifying what has value or not. It's also their fault that HECS debts are higher, they should have negotiated a better price for their degree.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

JBP posted:

Another boring take on an article about financial literacy. Don't bother doing what you can with reality just have a cry about it online.

Oh how silly of me, I now see how it's the fault of the drat tiktoks, and not a structural problem. We just need to focus on budgeting, that will solve the problem of wage growth not keeping up with increasing costs. Placing the onus on the individual to solve social problems always works, just as it has with drugs, climate change and sexual assault. Really, it's an individual moral failing if your HECS debt was deliberately increased through coalition policy.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Konomex posted:

I read this whole article and was thoroughly confused, they made it out as if this man was going to help young people get people prices for things. Then he talked about how he was teaching kids what superannuation is.

It really is that business school tweet:

Like I'm all for financial literacy. In a previous career I wrote finance 101 articles, like what super is and how to not be screwed through fees on life insurance and multiple super accounts.
But it's just ridiculous to claim as evidence of poor financial literacy the fact that younger people have less assets, lower incomes and greater debt than older, wealthier generations.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

G-Spot Run posted:

if it makes you feel any better/worse, that article is probably the business council (or other bunch of pigs) counter strategy for this report: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/feb/05/no-way-to-budget-out-of-cost-of-living-crisis-for-low-income-earners-report-finds

Well that doesn't make me feel better at all!

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So, uh, what's the story about Bucky and the indigenous flag? He decided to unilaterally redesign it or something?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

In think people were throwing around alt Australian flag details and he copied the indigenous flag and made it pastel. I think he staunchly defended the concept, as is his style.

Lol, yeah, that tracks.

Edit: what a lovely snipe. Here's an update from our newest national monument:
https://twitter.com/batshit_auspol/status/1756981746120458706?t=dU8Lj7_CIr6P0G0kfcssPw&s=19

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 13, 2024

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I'm sure energy infrastructure will be one, that always brings out the best insane screeds.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

He may come back to it but Bucky was on energy infrastructure over a decade ago. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076

Lol, of course he was.

What if we cover the superhighway in solar panels overhead? That way we generate power and keep all the cyclists dry in the rain. It's so blindingly obvious I'm surprised Bucky hasn't mentioned it previously.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Putting aside Albo for the moment, how would you break up Coles and Woolworths as a practical matter? What would that look like?

Do like AT&T back in the day and split them into 6 or 7 regional operations?

Seperate distribution/warehousing/stores?

Yeah, at least in the short term I dont see that helping to reduce costs. Splitting them up would raise the costs of logistics as the newly separate entities won't have access to the economies of scale. Maybe leave the warehousing and supply chains as single entities but enforce smaller groupings of stores?

Although splitting them regionally wouldn't really solve anything, unless you live in Albury-Wodonga you can't just nip across a state border to do your shopping.

Obviously the real answer is to nationalise grocery stores.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

What if we got the army reserves to build more supermarkets?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Obviously ACAB, but hilarious to see how low the bar was and NSWPol still couldn't clear it: https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1762378585002897887?t=WbTXBNRvfLsZ5Kd_tJmCjw&s=19

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

At this point I'm not even sure Bucky knows what a train is.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

KingEup posted:

The overwhelming amount of evidence indicates that youth vaping has accelerated the decline in youth smoking.

There is no evidence of a gateway effect:

https://x.com/jonathanfoulds/status/1737144488521343299?s=61&t=0JZcRltCkkWUPOYIuINbjQ

What the research actually shows:

Has it decreased smoking in total, or has it just shifted some portion to vaping? If you combine smoking and vaping rates, how does that look compared to historical rates?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So vaping has replaced a significant potion of smokers. The smoking trendline was already in decline, but the massive decrease in the last few years seems to have coincides with a massive increase in vaping.

From a harm minimisation perspective that's great, but we shouldn't stop there, we should work to remove or at least limit the risk as much as possible.

Don't get me wrong, the war in drugs is stupid and counter-productive, and I fully support the decriminalisation of all drugs. But that doesn't mean we should legalise and promote them. A ban on the importation and advertisement of vapes is sensible, tackling kids over possession is cop behaviour.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

GrandTheftAutism posted:

No, it doesn't help, fuckface.

Not voting yes regardless of reasons means I'm automatically racist? That's an even shittier take. I was asked to change the founding document of my country for the sake of people who despise my country (or worse, outright reject its existence). On what loving planet is that a reasonable request?
I'm still confused be who the people who despise this country are supposed to be. Is it indigenous people OP? It sure sounds like you are saying so.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

hooman posted:

EDIT: Also your poo poo towns of Australia rankings contains a lot of pointing and judging of the poor and disadvantaged. That's kinda gross too.

Please try to be less gross.

Thanks for this by the way, you managed to put into words a feeling of skeeviness I've had over those for a while but haven't been able to express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Recoome. That's my complete and honest answer.

I put my reasoning forward for why my made a progressive no vote and Recoome ignored everything I said in favour of calling me an idiot, then needled me - with the assistance of other posters - long after the referendum had left the news cycle. His behaviour towards me didn't make me reconsider my position, it didn't make me reconsider the reasoning behind my referendum vote, it just made me angry and resentful and wonder why I bothered supporting First Nations causes at all if all I got in return was pissy Aboriginals with chips on their shoulders hanging poo poo on me. You wanted a loving meltdown, Recoome? CONGRATULATIONS, YOU SPITEFUL BLACK BASTARD, HERE'S YOUR loving MELTDOWN, WITH ALL THE RACISM YOU CAN HANDLE. Guess what, fuckfaces? You're not the only marginalized people in this loving country, stop acting like you are and stop throwing a loving tantrum every time the majority tells you no. Life is not fair, deal with it.

And as for the rest of you: learn some loving ideological flexibility, and stop acting like these threads are some goddamn echo chamber. Not everyone thinks like you, not everyone acts like you, not everyone is going to march in loving lockstep with you while sipping cruelty-free soy fuckacinos. The moment someone says something that is slightly out of tune with the loving hive mind in here, they are instantly turned upon and torn up.

:eyepop:
Lol WTF
Here's a tip, you got poo poo on because you weren't supporting indigenous causes by voting no, and you were in fact complicit in the harm that has eventuated. Hope that helps!

Oh, and who are the groups trying to tear the country down? You still haven't clarified that.