Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
You’d think “we’ll reverse the damage the Libs did to Medicare and bring back bulk billing” would be a pretty easy sell but what the gently caress do I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Non Compos Mentis posted:

God people are whinging about woolies and big w not selling australia day stuff

Oh no where will i get my cheaply made flag now

Temu

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm pretty sure this whole party is a bit but then again you should never underestimate how stupid people can be

https://x.com/genzparty_au/status/1744225723479732418

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Thomas Sewell replied "Australia for the white man" I regret looking at twitter for the first time in a month.

But he's not even Gen Z! :argh:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gently caress off Tim Pallas

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lih posted:

their ability to raise revenue is pretty limited

Potentially more so than they previously thought given the implications for state levies after Victoria’s electric vehicle tax was ruled unconstitutional.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I had no idea the high court struck down the ev tax in Vic wtf

Like I get maybe we should incentivise EVs over petrol vehicles but like, don't state gov offset a lot of road maintenance via petrol excise or is that just Qld?

Charging excises are reserved exclusively for the commonwealth under the constitution. The argument was around whether the ev tax counted as an excise, in which case it would be unconstitutional.

The current fuel excise is collected by the commonwealth and distributed to states.

I’m not sure how you would end up escaping the idea that things like the container deposit schemes now adopted in each jurisdiction (except tas I think, but they have a commitment to do so) are also excises.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Recoome posted:

RIP the treaty process in Victoria - it’ll absolutely die without bipartisan support.

Again, thank you to those brave progressive no voters for emboldening the racist right :patriot:

Yep. As much as the Libs are an afterthought in Vic this will empower spotfires at every step along the way and at some point Labor will get sick of dealing with fuckwit journalists and racist landowners and councils.

On the plus side I now get to laugh at some people that insisted to me that pesutto would return the Libs to centre right rather than rolling over for the wing nuts.

Who can say whether treaty or smug I told you so-ing is more important in the grand scheme of things.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

This is correct and I'm surprised by how little I see it raised in these discussions.

It's unfortunate that January 26 really is in a sort of ideal spot on the calendar. The only better spot would be about two weeks earlier, to bookend the Christmas/NY/first 2 weeks of January holiday that most of the country takes.

Federation week. Everyone fucks off work and goes to the beach from 1-7 January (because it is the closest thing to a safe space from the city-sized fire-cyclones that will ravage the country in our climate apocalypse)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If elected, the coalition will take away your tax cuts and give them to a bunch of overpaid wokerati like Pat Cummins and Waleed Aly

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It sucks that Cook has become the avatar of colonialism.

He was a boat driver who's boss asked him to take a bunch of scientists to Tahiti to watch the transit of Venus, to work out how big the solar system is. That's literally what he signed up for.

Who commissioned that journey? It wasn't the Crown, and it wasn't the Navy. It was the Royal Society. The dudes who were like, let's do science to figure out how the world works. It was fundamentally a mission of curiosity, not conquest.

Obviously they had to ask the Crown for a ship, and the crown had to ask the Navy to take them. And so the Navy asked Cook. He was farm-boy who loved sailing and making maps. He said ok, and successfully piloted a wooden ship with no electronics all the way around to hit a tiny island in the middle of the ocean on his first try. His first instructions to the crew were to not disturb so much as a single tree without the blessing of the natives. He was no Cortez or Columbus.

The navy put a secret envelope on the ship and told him to only open it after he'd finished in Tahiti, and it said "cool now sail around the southern ocean and see what you can find."

When he said the ~magic words~ while off the north coast, he could not have forseen what was to come. There were no goods or spices, and it wasn't on any of the trade routes. The Dutch had "claimed" it for over century, and done nothing with it, despite already having a massive shipping operation just to the north. Spain and Portugal never even bothered. And for the next 20 years, he was right. He gets back (after being the first captain to beat scurvy), says "yep, found the east coast of New Holland boss", and nothing happened. It wasn't until America had a revolution and England needed somewhere to send their convicts, and Banks said "how about Botany Bay", that they decided to come back down. I don't think that's something we can reasonably expect someone to have foreseen. And it would have happened regardless of if he said the words or not. The chain of colonialism is long, and crucifying him for failing to single-handedly stop it is unfair.

His journal says "They are far more happier than we Europeans; being wholly unacquainted not only with the superfluous but the necessary Conveniences so much sought after in Europe, they are happy in not knowing the use of them. They live in a Tranquility which is not disturb’d by the Inequality of Condition: The Earth and sea of their own accord furnishes them with all things necessary for life, they covet not Magnificent Houses, Household-stuff, they live in a warm and fine Climate and enjoy a very wholesome Air".

That first meeting of the two cultures is a monumental moment in the history of not just this land, but the world. And I think the nature of it matters. Cook wasn't there as a conqueror. He was responsible for a ship full of astronomers and botanists who'd been at sea for four weeks at that point- three on the open ocean and another one following the coast. In literal uncharted territory, with a long way to get home. They needed to stop for some water to fill the tanks. The impulse to explore is a vital part of our species, and I don't think we can hold that against anyone. It is so often inextricably entwined with imperialism that it can be easy to conflate the two, and we're worse off if we do.

gently caress the colony, and gently caress the invasion, but don't blame Cook for it.

Fuckin nerd

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spookydonut posted:

didn't cook not even go to port phillip why have they got such hard ons for keeping a clearly contentious statue of him there and wasting so much tax rates payer money on fixing/replacing/guarding it.

Gotta waste ratepayers money on something,we’re in a war against inflation

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Labor finally agreed to do a less bad thing instead of a more bad th-

Bah Gawd, is that, is that Adam Bandts music????

:negative:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hooman posted:

Boy, I sure hope this isn't an ominous portent of things to come.

Nah I don’t believe police detaining neo nazis is any sort of sign of things to come sadly

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Pat Cummins threw the test by declaring on Australia Day as part of the woke agenda

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://x.com/adamzwar/status/1751738260748132586

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Not since 1963 have we seen a book store so effectively and skilfully used in the fight against the woke left

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Idk about defamatory but loving hell https://x.com/marquelawyers/status/1752191808803951053

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Recoome posted:

Webmeister makes really good points Bucky please either thanks that on board or gently caress off

Yeah I’d encourage others to read webmeisters post because bucky clearly won’t

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I can't think of anyone who would be opposed to this, all of those people would say yep looks good to me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Bucky, I love you but you are not serious people

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Give mortgage rate cut

crank interest rates to 25%

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

When did the chaser become right wing? They’ve spent a good twenty minutes on their America show talking about how it’s too easy to claim asylum; super predators are coming across illegally; and undocumented migrants are ruining the joint; and their solution is to shut the border and stop processing asylum claims.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I’m not a ghost so I say go hog wild with ghost guns

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/JacintaAllanMP/status/1754378841244696655

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Exec summary, sections, and costings added.

i literally asked chat gpt to make an exec summary for you, it's not perfect and it claiming there are comprehensive costings is a laugh but whatever

Objective:
This proposal outlines a comprehensive plan for the development of a revolutionary Sydney Cycle Super Highway, aiming to enhance sustainable transportation, promote a healthier lifestyle, and alleviate traffic congestion in the city.

Overview:
The Sydney Cycle Super Highway project is designed to create a dedicated and interconnected network of bike lanes throughout the city, providing a safe and efficient route for cyclists. The proposal is based on the article by Daniel Ed Morrison, "Sydney Cycle Super Highway," and incorporates key elements to address the growing need for sustainable and alternative modes of transportation.

Key Features:

Dedicated Bike Lanes: Establishing dedicated and well-marked bike lanes along major roadways to ensure the safety of cyclists and encourage more people to choose cycling as a mode of transportation.

Interconnected Network: Creating a seamless network of bike paths that connect key neighborhoods, business districts, and public transportation hubs, facilitating easy and efficient travel for cyclists.

Infrastructure Improvement: Enhancing existing infrastructure, such as bike racks, repair stations, and secure storage facilities, to further support and encourage cycling.

Integration with Public Transport: Developing strategies to integrate cycling infrastructure with existing public transportation systems, allowing for a smooth transition between cycling and other modes of transit.

Safety Measures: Implementing safety measures, including traffic signals and signage, to ensure the protection of cyclists and promote responsible sharing of the road with other vehicles.

Benefits:

Sustainability: Promotes a sustainable and eco-friendly mode of transportation, reducing carbon emissions and contributing to the city's environmental goals.

Health and Well-being: Encourages a healthier lifestyle by providing residents with a safe and convenient option for physical activity through cycling.

Traffic Congestion Reduction: Alleviates traffic congestion by offering an alternative transportation option, particularly for short to medium-distance trips.

Economic Impact: Boosts the local economy by attracting more cyclists to businesses along the cycle superhighway and creating opportunities for bike-related services and infrastructure.

Cost and Funding:
The proposal includes a comprehensive cost estimate for the Sydney Cycle Super Highway project, detailing both initial investment and potential sources of funding, such as public-private partnerships, grants, and government allocations.

Conclusion:
The Sydney Cycle Super Highway represents a forward-thinking solution to the city's transportation challenges, aligning with global trends toward sustainable urban development. By investing in cycling infrastructure, Sydney can position itself as a leader in eco-friendly and health-conscious urban planning.

This proposal invites key decision-makers, including councillors, members of parliament, and senior public servants, to support and champion the Sydney Cycle Super Highway project, fostering a more sustainable and vibrant future for the city.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

if i was trying to criticise the state of israel while not being called an antisemite I'd probably avoid saying that the jews have their tentacles everywhere but I guess that's why I'll never be a Greens MP

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How good is it that no one even bothers asking if he’ll resign at this point

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

There are whole dozens of people in this country who aren’t Sydney cyclists and couldn’t give a single gently caress about this Bucky

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

These secret WhatsApp hit squads apparently not enjoying the “find out” phase very much

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/cross-party-mps-back-jewish-community-push-to-outlaw-doxxing-20240211-p5f3za.html

quote:

“We would not accept such silencing or intimidation of any other group of Australians, and nor should we accept or condone it for Jewish Australians, no matter how strongly people may differ in their political opinions over this conflict,” Sharma wrote in his letter.

Funny, because accepting the silencing and intimidation of anyone who voiced less than full throated support for war crimes is precisely the action that led directly to this doxxing (which to be clear is also very bad because the people doing it either didn’t take enough care, or more likely were happy to include, any Jewish person they could regardless of whether they took part things)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

As it stands with what passed the senate:

An employee can refuse to monitor, read, or respond to out of hours contact unless the employee’s refusal is unreasonable.

What is unreasonable should consider the reason for contact, how it is made, compensation in the terms of employment for it, nature and seniority of the persons role, and personal circumstances (including caregiving etc)

It’s automatically deemed an unreasonable refusal if the contact by the employer was required by law

EBA rights to disconnect that are more favourable than the legislation would still apply

If there’s a dispute over whether an employees refusal was reasonable:
First attempt to resolve it between the parties
Parties may then apply to the fair work commission

The FWC can make an order that the employee stop refusing contact, or for the employer to stop requiring the employee to accept the contact

Failing to comply with that order is a civil remedy provision and carries a potential remedy up to 60 penalty units (~$19,000). So you’re not committing an offence as such, but you can be liable to pay the other party a remedy.

As currently written the fair work act says that contravening an order from the FWC is liable to 12 months imprisonment as a criminal penalty, but excludes a list of several more minor orders. The amendment doesn’t add the new order regarding unreasonable refusals to that list, so if passed right now employers and employees could also go to jail, but Labor have announced that’s not the intent and that they’ll add it to the excluded list.

There is a hook, but it involves getting the FWC to agree with you, and then pursuing the civil remedy provision in court after that if their conduct continues ( for the $ and/or an injunction telling them to gently caress off) so will be out of reach of most employees

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 12, 2024

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://amp.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/new-data-reveals-just-how-many-airbnb-rentals-victoria-has-20240208-p5f3gd.html

AirBnB is not a problem for housing affordability says report (commissioned by AirBnB)

How do you write a whole article on that without mentioning that the industry it benefits commissioned the loving thing lol

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I assume hazcat is a sovcit nazi anime fan because they don’t have a prominent tattoo stating otherwise.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

this thread needs some more comedy so here's your reminder that sally rugg, in a federal court affidavit, swore that she had to advise monique ryan not to compare her kooyong election campaign to the experience of colonialism by indigenous australians in her maiden speech to parliament

it is a national tragedy that we'll probably never get to see Maiden Speech [Monique's Version]

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Amethyst posted:

Why did she have to commit this to an affadavit?

This was part of her unfair dismissal proceedings and she was detailing the type of work she did for Ryan including examples, this was just by far the funniest part of it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

birdstrike posted:

what the hell is happening in taspol?

Victoria has long conducted benevolent management of Tasmanian affairs through the state football corporation.

Denying entry into the league, while a heavy burden on the Victorian soul, provided a common foe to bind Tasmanian society against.

Without Victorians continuing to martyr their own reputation to the cause of Tasmanian solidarity a fall into chaos and warlordism was inevitable.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Artificial Kid posted:

Sally Rugg seems like a massive narcissist, and saying “I had to remind her not to say that” is a narcissist’s way of saying “I didn’t like that part of my paediatric neurology professor boss’s speech”.

https://findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/profile/175659-monique-ryan

Not liking the part of your bosses speech that compares running for parliament as a wealthy white person to the indigenous experience of colonialism is a good thing, hth

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Twiggy forrest is a massive prick, but he is also legitimately one of best chances for meaningful climate change mitigation efforts in this country. There are plenty of other billionaires to yell at (or other things to yell at Forrest for).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

I'm sure Forrest wants to make money off solutions, but he's been loud about needing to reduce carbon emissions for ages and I think genuinely does believe in climate change being a massive threat we need to address.

The opposition to it is as dumb as the nimby left that oppose increased housing supply because someone might make a profit in building it along the way. Absolute braindead poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://x.com/Nathan_Bull88/status/1758748475771199956?s=20