Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

This insult will remain fresh in our memories for a hundred years
lol

watching that unfold in real time was the single best night i ever had on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my des provider is making me fill out an obligatory gratitude journal lol

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you, friends. it seemed faintly ridiculous to me too, glad it's not just me.

you're a wise man, cartoon.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

update: i'm going to have to ask my provider for a new gratitude journal because i used too many f-words

JBP posted:

Gratitude psych is a psyop imo
heartily agreeing with a jbp post

i also feel this way about the sudden rise of "stoic philosophy"

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

it's not so much the date as whether or not we should celebrate the foundation of "australia" as it is currently known

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

no m*dgee, no clue

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

who else is stoked about getting conscripted!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my father, of blessed memory, avoided his vietnam call-up by taking a heroic amount of psychedelic drugs, convincing himself the earth was about to stop spinning and everyone would fly off into the deep void of space, attacking someone in line at the post office and getting committed to a mental institution for a year. he is my guiding light in these troubled times.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

one thing about russia and china that i don't see discussed at all is that they're actually preparing for the non-combat aspects of war. australia is not. like, at all.

there's a lot of planning going on in those countries focused on protecting people. bomb shelters, evacuation plans, city populations being trained on what to do if there's an incoming attack. i have not seen any of this in australia. all the leaders seem to be focused on is how we are going to kill as many people as possible, and where we're going to get the personnel to go do that killing. but the actual defense side of it? the logistics of mass population movement, destruction of infrastructure, food supply?

there are plans in place to evacuate beijing and moscow in the event of an incoming strike, and save as many people as possible. the shelters are already built and the population has been informed on where to go and what to do to either get out of the city or get to the safest part of it. imagine the population of sydney or melbourne in the same situation. imagine what that would look like.

surely planning is going on behind the scenes, but given the country's response to every other crisis it's been faced with, i have zero faith in our ability to actually prepare for war and that scares the poo poo out of me

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the answer to every question is that we're america's bitch and also the uk's

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

a nuclear strike is actually more survivable than people think. not if you're right at ground zero, obviously, but there is going to be a world of difference in survival rates between a city that's prepared and one that isn't.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

To add, There will be no war with Russia, Russia is going to be be hosed for a generation even if Ukraine ended today. China isnt interested, they have economic means to achive what they want.
i hope this is true.

i am more afraid of america than of russia or china. those two countries i believe are rational and well aware that nobody wins a nuclear war. (taking ukraine is a rational act in the face of climate change.) america i don't trust not to do something unbelievably stupid, and then of course they'd drag us in with them, that's what they always do.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

freebooter posted:

Oh for sure man, this is 100% the fifth-dimensional chess Putin is playing behind his irredentist rants, congratulations on reading between the lines

edit - in fact, sorry, I just have to know more. Did wherever you picked this theory up from enlighten you further as to precisely what benefit occupying Ukraine would grant Russia in a warming world? Warm water ports? Warmer climate agriculture? Why do you think the colder and more northerly nation would be strategically inclined to push south?
you don't think the breadbasket of europe is a strategic asset? deepest and most fertile soils in the world? plus, yes, shipping, east-west land routes, and ukraine's farmland is going to be resistant to climate change due to the topography of the region - the winds come in off the black sea and catch in the mountains, and it still has a lot of forest left. there's a reason every single empire has wanted it, from greece to turkey to venice.

from putin's perspective that russians and ukrainians are the same ethnic group (i am not saying this is true, i know it's not) nothing makes more sense at this point in history than taking ukraine. he probably believes that if he doesn't take it, someone else will.

an egg fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 30, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ffs

an egg fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 31, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Wizard Master posted:

Looks like youth crime is back in the spotlight in QLD again

birdstrike posted:

and don’t get me started on this latest grand designs abomination

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

bucky is a modern hero and we're lucky to have him

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

imagine how many problems would be solved if he was in charge. we'd all be dead and not a car to be seen

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

if the bikes could fly it would be a lot cheaper to make space for them. just a thought

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

....... I say once again you keep proving you are no cyclist
shots fired

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

GoldStandardConure posted:

yes but now i have become emotionally invested in Bucky Quest and want to see how this plays out with him crashing like waves upon the rocks of lovely government & planning.
this. i need to see this arc come to a conclusion or i will never know peace.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Do you think Bucky's unbearable cravings for attention will conclude with it? That road will simply meet another, and that with another, on and on forever like a fantasy bicycle path lined with helpfully redesigned Aboriginal flags. You will never know peace either way.
somehow it's going to end with us all going to prison and i'm here for it

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

GoldStandardConure posted:

bucky run for either local council or state govt

pls
he is mayor of auspol

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

e: gently caress

an egg fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

anti-zionism is not the same as anti-semitism. anti-semites are using the current situation to spread their hatred under the guise of anti-zionism. zionists are using the fear of anti-semitism to avoid criticism and stir the population into terror and reactivity. the threat of anti-semitic violence is very real. the atrocities perpetrated by the state of israel are also very real. everything is a loving mess and everybody is terrified and nobody knows what to do.

i deleted the rest of the rant because spewing my raw panic everywhere is not helping anybody.

an egg fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 12, 2024