Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bucky idk what hand drawn spider webs on google maps is going to fix when it seems what you’re really proposing is for changes to how planning, transportation and infrastructure are coordinated.

So it must suck that you wrote all that for nothing, because one niche project won’t affect change on that root cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amethyst posted:

there is even a 100 page PDF specificly on how to visualise and present ideas to governments to get projects like this over the line. The amount of effort put into this thing by thousands of very smart people over the decades is staggering and their work is freely available.

You might say that looking at such a document prior to writing one yourself would appear to be blindingly obvious.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ha ha I nearly typo’d blindingly oblivious. That would have been confusing!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Hey look it's 7 km of perfectly peaceful path we can have for literally free

Which can then go on to another 23 km of straight run we can have for literally free that admittedly doesn't go anywhere especially useful but which would be good to get some of the speedy trainers out of everyone else's way:

And hey look it's one of the 12 wharves which are already built and ready to go, tick, done. The Beautiful Balmain East. Many giant steps along the land, one small leap across the water.

this is not literally free. infastructure still requires further work. it's not just a case of removing fences and whipper snipping.

as has been said repeatedly, you really need to look into the costings to make a better case. everyone will ignore your proposal if it isn't properly costed.

for example, an almost identical scenario to the one you describe here was undertaken in my local town a couple of years back. old melbourne water aquaduct was fenced off and unused, and it was identified as part of a local paths and trails cycling plan that it would make a perfect north south transit for bikes / pedestrians especially for school kids, instead of along the main road.

https://www.moorabool.vic.gov.au/Building-and-planning/Moorabuild-projects-and-works/Aqualink-Cycling-and-Walking-Corridor

it received two lots of funding from state and fed govts, $7.7m total, but council had also put aside further funding, so total cost was higher.

it was 4.5km long, and a lot of the infrastructure was already there as per your example. so that's $1.7m per km of known funds.

so some quick math would show that your 7km of 'literally free' cycling infrastructure would cost at least $12m. 23km? ~$40m , but bigger projects require increased oversight and project management, so it probably won't scale as neatly as $1.7m per km. you'd also need to fence along the pipes, you'd also want lighting and to run power along there...what's the costs of running the lights ongoing? water / drinking fountains at certain spots? that $40m isn't going to stretch that far.

so stop saying 'literally free'. all it translates to is 'literally ignore me'.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Fine, fight with motorists for 7 km of path somewhere else instead. Take lanes and parking spaces away from them. Find another way across that chasm. Build a whole new path, have them run along cars, and then solve all those things you mentioned too. Or just abandon the people there to car dependence.

This road is ready to go. Everything up to this point is paid for. That’s what’s literally free you ridiculous pedants. Also you avoid having to pay for all those fights.

We can physically ride it tomorrow with no money changing hands. It's not about building infrastructure, it's about making different decisions. Sydney Water is owned by the NSW government. If the premier wants to get it open he can. And the "planing and construction" column for the path part will be $0.

And if you're worried about the cost of the tunnels just get the army reserve to dig them as an exercise or something.

i think you're under the misapprehension that seeking a cost free solution is going to make it a sure fire thing. it's not. in fact, people are going to ignore your "cost free proposal" because it sounds totally bullshit, because nothing is free.

decision makers will be happy to spend money if the social return on investment can be demonstrated. to demonstrate that, you need to cost it properly. this is not a controversial take.

if you cant be hosed doing that, throw the whole thing in the bin and find something else to champion.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Aqualink looks cool, cheers. Speaking of which, shoutout to Prospect Canal Path. Outstanding, no notes. Another part of the gold-class superhighway already completely built and ready to be called upon to serve.

I can't see what works yours actually involved but this doesn't require any building, or even any whipper-snippering. The road is already literally there. Fencing, lights, sure. Like any other project. You save the millions in getting to that stage is the point.

And I have put costing in the thing. Call it $500 million, or less than 1% of the NSW transport infrastructure budget, and a few percent of what we spend on cars each year.

the old asphalt path was removed and a new concrete one, marked with cycling lanes both ways was put in its place in 4 sections, and linking to a new shared path that was already under construction in the 5th section. the existing asphalt wasn't fit for cycling nor wide enough for two way traffic. it looked pretty much like the photos you posted.

the project came about from a local committee that was focused on cycling and hiking / walking paths. they put together a very brief slide show pack, with estimates, and put that to the local council first, and then eventually presented it to the planning ministers wonks.

i was on the committee at the time and had input into the final draft brief, but i can't find it anywhere otherwise i'd share it. all i can find is a couple of project updates and design briefs at the project went ahead.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Aqualink looks cool, cheers. Speaking of which, shoutout to Prospect Canal Path. Outstanding, no notes. Another part of the gold-class superhighway already completely built and ready to be called upon to serve.

I can't see what works yours actually involved but this doesn't require any building, or even any whipper-snippering. The road is already literally there. Fencing, lights, sure. Like any other project. You save the millions in getting to that stage is the point.

And I have put costing in the thing. Call it $500 million, or less than 1% of the NSW transport infrastructure budget, and a few percent of what we spend on cars each year.

itemised costing, and sroi?

you can't just say you 'save' when you're spending. that's how my kids try to get me to buy something. not buying it in the first place saves even more!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ssmagus posted:

I like to remind people on all sides that you have the power to :coupons:

Can we just take these pisstakes out of here, it's not even interesting or funny, just repeating the same poo poo for the last 2 months

I’m sorry, you need to offer an alternative or he’s right. That’s how it works.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I had years of gently caress all indexation it was grand.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i hope you cited betoota properly in your slide pack

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1764395564198682816

what beach did Holt go missing at? lets take him there

i'd take him back to the airport.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

we wouldn't have to worry about becoming a republic anymore.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

gently caress cops, but also, lol at grown adults vaping. it's never not funny. it's like seeing a 30yo still wearing a wallet chain.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think controlling vapes is easy without resorting to prohibition.

Their parents could always just ground them.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yeah, if i had to go to queensland i'd want others to suffer as well.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

be even cooler if they were 200-meter wide octagons

And vape free zones

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

GrandTheftAutism posted:

The Oxford English Dictionary does not limit the definition of racism as applying only to white against others.

If a black person behaves violently or aggressively towards a white person solely because that person is white, that is racism, regardless of your belief or opinion.

Oxford dictionary? Nice unbiased source there.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Those kids who got tied up in Broome didn't cry as much as you have, calm down bro

lol, you’re an utter poo poo stain of a person.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Pleasant Friend posted:

Saying you can't be racist against white people is racist in itself.

Of course it's hard to actually care about racism to white people, but it's not a complicated issue. If someone posts a meme that "all white women gently caress dogs" they are being extremely unambiguously racist.

You would need to prove that the british cops were the dogs here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey I remember when this thread melted down over brown blitzkrieg saying he’d never donate his organs or blood because a white person might get them.

Look at how far you’ve all come.