Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

an egg posted:

my des provider is making me fill out an obligatory gratitude journal lol

.... The actual gently caress? What the hell is a "gratitude journal" and whose stupid idea was it to make it mandatory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Do voters care about broken promises?
I don't really know any swing voters, maybe those perverts do

84% of tax payers going to get more because of this broken promise. Unless youa re on 180K you are better off.

Please Mr Albanese, break more promises if thats the outcome. The LNP arguing for tax cuts for the rich aint gonna go down so well

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

sick of Applebees posted:

I don't see why this makes the poo poo town list

15. Grafton, NSW - Prisoner breaks out of his cell then breaks into his girlfriend’s cell for a root

Good lord it is real too

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12917689/Prisoner-naked-cell-female-lover-Clarence-Correctional-Centre.html

quote:

A male inmate at Australia's largest prison has been found naked in the cell of his female lover, who was also being held in the same jail.

The prisoner managed to leave his unit at Clarence Correctional Centre near Grafton in northern NSW on Saturday and get with his girlfriend to attempt an end-of-year tryst.

The privately-run prison is a maximum and minimum security facility for male and female offenders with 1,700 beds which opened in July 2020.

Daily Mail Australia understands the male inmate climbed two fences and crossed an exercise yard to make his way into his partner's cell.

A male inmate at Australia's largest prison has been found naked in the cell of his female lover. The prisoner managed to get out of his unit at Clarence Correctional Centre near Grafton in northern NSW on Saturday and make his way into that of his girlfriend. Stock image
Daily Mail Australia understands the male inmate climbed two fences and crossed an exercise yard to make his way into his partner's cell. Clarence Correctional Centre is pictured

The couple then barricaded themselves inside until prison officers deployed a chemical agent and were able to extract the male inmate.

The prisoner was naked and one source described his state as 'ready to go'.

A spokeswoman for Clarence Correctional Centre, run by UK-based Serco, said staff had responded to an incident in which two inmates attempted to prevent entry into a cell.

'A tactical plan was executed promptly with chemical agent deployed,' the spokeswoman said.

'Responding officers safely secured the inmates. No staff or inmates were injured during the incident.

'The inmates involved - one male and one female - are known to be in a relationship.

'An investigation into the incident has commenced.'

The escapade is understood to have been over within six minutes and it was not known if the pair had time to become intimate.
Clarence Correctional Centre (above) is a privately-run prison for female offenders with 1,700 beds which opened in July 2020. It has maximum and minimum security sections

Clarence Correctional Centre (above) is a privately-run prison for female offenders with 1,700 beds which opened in July 2020. It has maximum and minimum security sections
The couple barricaded themselves inside a cell until prison officers deployed a chemical agent and were able to extract the male inmate. The prisoner was naked and one source described his state as 'ready to go'. Stock image

The couple barricaded themselves inside a cell until prison officers deployed a chemical agent and were able to extract the male inmate. The prisoner was naked and one source described his state as 'ready to go'. Stock image

Users of a Facebook page popular with serving and former prison officers made light of the incident, as well as drawing attention to security concerns.

'The best thing is if she's pregnant our future careers are secured!!' one wrote on The Last Governor's page.

'Well he had a happy New Year,' wrote another.

Other comments included 'Neither bars, locks, fences or motion cameras can get in the way of true love' and 'You just can't make this s*** up'.

In September, an officer at Clarence was allegedly struck repeatedly in the head by an inmate while other prisoners cheered him on.

Clarence is one of three NSW prisons operated by the private sector.

Junee Correctional Centre has been run by the US-owned GEO Group since it opened in 1993 but the company's contract will not be renewed when it expires in 2025.

Parklea Correctional Centre is managed by MTC-Broadspectrum.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Key sections:

Connecting the M7 to Parramatta
Connecting the north to the city with a skyway from Ridge St to the Bridge
A bike ferry network
Connecting the Airport to the Harbour at the Opera House
Providing painless access to Olympic Park

The connection from the M7 to Parramatta already exists. The occasional traffic light and foray into a very quiet backstreet is acceptible and most of the line along the bus route has a seperated bike path. The issue is more the gradients.
The detour from the stairs at the Bridge is about to commence
Ferries allow bikes
Connection from the Airport to the Harbour exists, there is actually three seperate ways to ride off road from the harbour to the Airport but to be frank why the Airport?
Access to Olympic Park via bike is.... pretty good already? There's good paths from the west, east and south?

Riding from Parramatta to the city you isnt stopped by Putney being unridable. There is a backstreet route to Gladesville Bridge (not recommended) but the actual best route is take the bike path along Concord Road, cross the river and connect to the quiet back streets and bike paths around Concord heading to Five Dock. The hole here is Canada Bay to Robson Park/Bay Run and while it's in general quiet enough it's not n00b bike friendly. NOw while I would in general regard Parramatta to Bay run as fairly easy, the climb up to Roseville is not and the two alternatives are either a sufferfest or a still difficult climb but added cars bonus.

Either gets you to Parklands and... well... that WAS good but they closed that for some reason last week........

ANZAC Bridge is a pain but there's not a lot you can do there unless you want to take the MUP on the other side of James Craig and hey good luck with the dog walkers

Sydney is best served by realising it's perfect e-Bike territory and putting pressure on for raising the dumbass 25kph e-Bike limiters and also e-bike subsidy (Yes I'm well aware the cheap imports dont have limiters bt they also have suspect charging design too so.... yeah. Buy something that isnt suspect). Oh look the gradients aren't actually that much of a problem and good e-bikes are more affordable

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

an egg posted:

one thing about russia and china that i don't see discussed at all is that they're actually preparing for the non-combat aspects of war.

Given what is currently going on, Russia is utterly unprepared for it's *current* war, let alone one that isn't being fought vs the leftovers NATO found under the couch

JBP posted:

It doesn't scare me at all. War doesn't make my top 50 pressing concerns. Especially not a war with Russia or China that somehow comes here in a way that isn't nuclear, which I can't do anything about anyway.

To add, There will be no war with Russia, Russia is going to be be hosed for a generation even if Ukraine ended today. China isnt interested, they have economic means to achive what they want.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It's not the occasional traffic light, it's a total of 56 lanes of traffic over 14 crossings. Sometimes without traffic lights, and sometimes up to 8 lanes at a time. In front of massive trucks. After 41 km of the the peace and security of the M7, and before the peace and security of 35 km of the river path, it's not acceptable, no. Neither is the slog through Westmead to get from Toongabbie to the river, which I have proposed two easy solutions for.

edit - but also: "You make it possible for everyone who lives west of Toongabbie to get into town on a bike. Well, it's already possible, but you make it safe, and pleasant. With literally no infrastructure investment. Pound for pound, that's a pretty good deal."

There are ZERO crossings without lights you have to deal with trucks. ZERO. The two major roads you have to cross have more than acceptible safe crossing lights controlled points. And there are NOT 14 crossings.

There are two gradient problems between Westmead and the M7, neither of them easily solved even taking the bus lane - because the bus lanes in general follow the gradient esp between the M7 and Abbott Rd.

Also where on earth do you get 35kms of river path. Maybe as a circuit with offshoots but certainly not one way or on one side of the river. In general you got one path from Parramatta Stadium to Putney where it divets to onroad to Gladesville and on the other side the path starts at Silverwater Road and mostly departs the river at Concord Rd - anything beyond that is not really usable.

quote:

Right, and where does it go? Trying to squeeze in along the ground all the way up north sydney? You see the problem, right? A sky-way that maintains most of its altitude and zips above the traffic up to Ridge St is the best solution.

And then there is even more gradient problems and maze of streets and short sharp hills after Ridge Street and .... how on earth are you goign to build a elevated path from Milsons Pt to Ridge Street?!?! And where is Ridge St supposed to connect to, you are 2 kms away from the main north bike path that follows the Pacific Hwy to Lane Cove.

Do you even ride in some of these areas?

quote:

I know, I'm talking about a dedicated bike ferry, for reasons explained in the article, which I do hope you read:

Dedicated bike ferry is a waste of resources esp when the current ferries esp the River cats have loads of room for bike parking. It's best to increase ferry frequency

quote:

If I see a long chain of golf course edges that creates a green corridor that connects botany to the harbour without having to deal with ANY traffic, Imma put a bike path there. The fact that it has the airport at one end is a happy coincidence which will be a massive boon for tourism.

"An absolutely champagne route, completely out of everyone's way. For the cost of a few bridges, and less than 2 km of raised track. This path alone would make headlines around the world. Fly to Sydney, hire a bike at the airport that can easily and comfortably take your kids and luggage, take a quick and picturesque 12 km ride all the way to the harbour and a ferry.
Away from all the cars and chaos, without crossing so much as a single road."

The LAST thing anyone wants to do after a flight is get on a bike with luggage with kids and ride a bike. This is frankly not a good idea.

quote:

For an athlete with a death-wish who doesn't mind spending most of the time riding along with traffic, maybe. But not for major events. After sunset you can't ride along the water at Newington. You can get down to the M4, but that doesn't take you much further west or east. Which is why it's not considered a serious way to get there, and everyone drives or does the stupid train shuffle at Lidcombe. Whatever routes we do have, great, let's lock them down and assure people they connect to places.

I'm seriously doubting you ride a lot now. You could ride along the water, you need to cross the river which isnt a huge barrier but there's in fact another bike route to the south that is perfectly fine for ordinary riders through Newington I've taken after dark. There's two ... no wait three. Actually..... four. Four other ways south of the river. No wait no I think about it if I take .... I could come up with five to bypass the waterfront at Newington. And honestly maybe they can just simply keep the gates open and set up lights?

East has umm.... three decent routes, one north of Rhodes, the second via Nth Strathfield and the main one at Concord West which I have used at 3am a few times cutting through Olympic Park

South isnt really a way I've gone much but I do know of a couple of routes, one via Lidcombe that would match your death wish comment. But thats the only one I could name off the top of my head that is highly unsafe

quote:

Sounds like we need a superhighway.

No we just need some intelligent fillins that are based on riders who know the roads and know the best routes. THere's an existing bike plan that actually looks at doing this as well as the work being done to extend the river path along the south that I believe has started

quote:

Agree, that'd great, and there's no point in doing that unless we give them a reliable, contiguous, safe and comfortable way to go.

ThatI can agree on but I would suggest thre's better ways than some "superhighway"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

This is actually one of the most important links, so it's probably worth an illustration:

Again, 95% of it is there already. Flat Rock Gully rules. Just fill in a few of the gaps and you get the whole thing.

........ West St is the actual connection to the top of the cycleway. Going north of the freeway to that extent is just needless especially via Miller.

Your idea of a bike path that follows the freeway on the west side would work if it connected to the top of West Street and where the bike path from Lane Cove ends. This is why I seriously doubt you ride that much. For reference I've done West St from the Pacific Hwy 290 times going north according to Strava. So instead f this nonsense of going through the park, keep following the freeway, duck under or over Falcon St, keep following the free way to West St. Connection made. West St is very bikable but it dumps you on the Pacific Hwy going south or you need to footpath from Nth Sydney east side of the Pacific (Which is legal, it's actually a bike path as well)

quote:

There's two up top right there. With pedestrian crossings, to be fair, but the visibility on that middle one is legitimately sketchy if you're coming from the south. And one with no lights at the bottom, which is seriously sketchy if you're coming from the north. But yes, generally no trucks on that one. And crossing all those lanes sucks, and the lights across Old Windsor rd aren't going to save you if truck brakes fail. The T-way running along safe and secure along the green line there is indicative of the disrespect we currently show cyclists.

And there are 14 crossing between there and Toongabbie creek.

There are seven road crossing by my route from Parramatta Park to Abbott Rd. I know, I deliberatly took that way tonight and counted and discovered an route I didn't know existed behind Westmead Hostpital made possible by the light rail. 9 if by the route I would have usually taken. 12 at the absolute pushing the limit of what a road crossing is to absurd degree as they are actually driveways to car parks that are highly infrequently used or closed plus counting using a very quiet backstreet marked bike route turing across a T-Intersection at Ferndale Close / Doig St not far from Westmead. I can not even begin to work out how you came to 14 road crossings.

The crossing at Abbots is not sketchy, visibility is great. There is no real issue crossing the road, it's actually a good breather as it's a climb up from Toongabbie Creek. Now I would prefer a cyclepath along the T-Way but what we have isnt awful.

And here is my Strava map in fact -

Now what is immensliy loving dangerous and problematic is Abbott Rod / Seven Hills Road to Seven Hills station. You have tobe a goddamn lunatic to ride Seven Hills Rd whichis why I footpath it. Holy poo poo does this link need fixing *badly*

quote:

Yes, all of them

See above why I just dont believe this.

quote:

Maybe at the moment, but if you factor in combining it with the rest of the network, it most certainly is not

No, it's a complete waste. Just schedule more Parramatta River ferries or fix a few more links

quote:

Most people, on an acoustic bike, sure. But give them a couple of E-bikes with a big tub at the front and/or a trailer at the back, and 12 km of greenery to ride along, and there'd be plenty of people willing to give it a shot.

Or by all means, let their introduction to our country be the wonders of a taxi up Southern Cross Drive.

Take the taxi frankly. Riding bike after an international flight with that kind of luggage travellers take is just plain not going to happen. Let alone the logisitcs of all these bikes you imagien would be used like with end of trip facilites or returning to the airport or.... just the second I try to think this through it utterly breaks down

quote:

That's exactly what I'm saying, simply keep the loving gates open and we don't need to worry about the others. Same for Nurragingy in the west.

The Strava segment that best uses Nurragingy is called Nurragingy Teeth Rattler and is 24/7. There is one route that is of any use via that park and that drops you to going basically nowhere at Glendenning.You want to go west, you use Teeth Rattler. Also that does connect you to the M7 cycleway quicker rather than Glendennig exit......

The other routes just south of the Parra River are actually probably better at times and should be signposted more.

quote:

I think we have different definitions of "decent". I'm talking about completely separated paths, with little to no stops for intersections. Where you don't need to worry about "poo poo, where does this go, and does it continue or is going to just run out on me"

late edit - and regardless of any of the land routes, a 10 minute ride from the Stadium to the Newignton Armoury Wharf to jump on a ferry that goes wherever you need (From Lane Cove, to the City, to Manly, to Roseville) is always going to be way better.

Yes actually there are signposted paths with seperation if you want them. I don't take them mostly because I know the rat runs for being on a bike. The ferry is too limited and you are riding most of the way anyway - building a proper good bike network should not and must not depend on some other mode.

quote:

"This map tells us the gaps we need to close, and the most impactful sections we need to upgrade. By building just a few km of path in the right places, to make those connections, we effectively give ourselves these hundreds of kilometers of path, because it becomes a completely contiguous network. Putting those smaller paths in this order makes them infinitely more effective. This will help get cycling numbers to a tipping-point, making the case for the other cycleways far stronger."

Ive already pointed to some places where you just simply not closed the gaps and honestly I dont have time to pick apart more maps. Frankly Icouldnt care about ferries when Western Sydney is a graveyard for cycling west beyond the M7. That needs some serious fixes

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nine Media blaming the generative tool is the immediate red flag someone did it deliberately and they are scrambling for a believeable lie when the lady in question rightly called out their bullshit

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I’m exhausted just trying to count the number of turns in that, and it's hard to hear anything over the noise of all the traffic.

Ok now I’ve gotta go here, cross this road, now I’ve gotta go down here, cross this road, now I’ve gotta go up here, cross this road, wait poo poo I missed it, now I’ve gotta go along here..

Do you want to see the route that is straight as possible? A bunch of that is me faffing around until I got to Westmead with variations and adding distance *because I want to* - the map was to serve that actually I knew first hand your description of Westmead to Abbott Rd was not based on fact. IF you are going to make proposals you need to make them in such a way that someone cant falsify your comments in 2 minutes.

quote:

You like driving on a motorway, right? Why is that? Cos you don’t have to stop and start with all the crossing roads and traffic lights at intersections? Cos you can get up to a nice cruising speed? Cos you don’t need to worry about making a bunch of turns to get where you're going?

No I prefer *riding* motorways

This ride is the fastest way to Blacktown using all bike paths and I really do mean it's all offical bike routes, properly sign posted

Section1 - Wall St connects to the North Sydney to Lane Cove cycleway 200m earlier at the exit ramp from Warrigah Motorway just past the bridge that goes over said freeway - this is where the cycleway actually starts but as I said I took the paths and no cheating - every footpath path is signed as a bike path from Milson's Point, all the way up to Wall St where you join a seperated path that fucks off east to... I have no idea but it's not the path that evenually goes west the fastest / easiest way. North Sydney Pacific Hwy to Wall St footpath (which as said is a offical bike path, no cheating) is the easiest climb. Putting in a missing link between NorthSydney and Wall St start of the cyclepath has merit.

Section 2 from Wall St is the seperated bike path from top of Crows Nest to North Ryde Metro station. It's got gradient issues but I see riders of various skill levels taking it.

Section 3 is actually one of the safest bike paths in the whole drat area for a lone adult rider (I stress ADULT rider) and it's the M2 / M7 breakdown lane. Amazing huh? It's actually safer than Clover Moore's dumbass bike paths, Ive seen some real hairy moment and nearly been hit too many times on Bourke St. Real high consequence if you get it wrong but I stand by it's safer than Bourke Road eye popping stress fest and thats a seperated bike path (It really is fuckign terrible especially near Green Square). How loving sad is that? And as said, no cheating, it's a properly signposted bike path that is one of the actual best routes out west. Yes, going north first is the best and fastest route west and there's not a lot that can be done on the two western corridors along Parramatta Rd / M4 to change that fact. As much as the M7path is there, it's slower, more turns and just not a straight drag race like the M7 breakdown is. Also did you know more people have been killed on the M7 bike path than the breakdown?

Section 4 is along the bus lane from M7 to Blacktown. No comment, it's fine mostly.

That's no turns I have to remember, it's all signposted, it's absolutely cruise or set the afterburner if I want. Well it fits your proposal........

Now where am I going with this? Welll if you want some "superhighway" nonsense, you need to understand a lot more where riders *actually* go and in what directions and why - because plonking bike lanes in xyz isnt going to work without a far clearer picture. Not ferries which more or less dont go where riders want to go, no expensive paths that end in the wrong place like your thought on the North Sydney path (extend it to Wall St and join the existing path, dont end it at Falcon St good lord) and why is this out of the way route actually the fastest way west and what can be done to actually improve it so Karen and her kids could do it because while the M2 is good for lone adult cyclist it's def got high consequence if you gently caress up and aint no place for kids.

There are five main corridors out of the CBD - OxfordSt east, Bourke St / Alexandria south (which it absolutly should not be, it should be St Peters / Tempe but LMAO yeah good luck on that one!) Pyront / Darling Harbour / ANZAC or Fish Markets west and Harbour Bridge north. The way to start getting parties onside is coming up with solutions for those five. I have ideas and why there are problems. There so happens to be a really good post further up that in fact would be a good framework to use to do a five gateways CBD cycling proposal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I think there's been a misunderstanding, so apologies if I was unclear. I have ridden through there many times in many different ways and this is what I'm proposing:

The river route if we can, and the road route in the meantime. (If you do go check it out be prepared for long grass along the top left, and yes the redbank trail continues along Parabianga reserve before crossing back over the river on Briens rd)

No one is using your alternative when West St as marked and noted *is the actual best and fastest route* and gets you right onto the existing bike infra. This is frustrating you wont listen to the existing bike infra part.

quote:

Cool man, that's part of the superhighway network. Using the motorways. If we can find the budget to put some of these kind of things down to at least mitigate the debris, then I'll settle for the breakdown lane of the M2 while we sort out the route that runs along side it (eg Talavera rd, Junction rd in Winston Hills), because that is admittedly one of the more challenging parts of the whole plan.

... I.... what the Talavera and Junction?!?!?! Stop. NO. I know the roads that lead to and away and just plain you will kill M2 cycling faster than the Bicycle NSW nonsense of suggestion North Rocks Rd when the M2 was being widened. It has never recovered in numbers since.

The actual solution is a on way bike lane on the other side of the crash barrier on both sides. It's actually doable for the majority of the M2 as well and there's even an existing maintenace path there. Have that one on me for free rather than the alternative that would make though-cycling awful

quote:

What, from rogue dirt-bikes or something? How does that work?

The cycleway, while decent has several high speed downhill sections with abrupt turns at the end and as well several sharp corners where head on collisions take place where cyclists misjudge and not even necessarily corner cut.

quote:

I don't want to keep going back and forth like this sorry, but I'm not talking about anything expensive (well, apart from the skyway), and I'm definitely not "ending" anything, but where's the Wall St? Do you mean West st?

Sorry yes West St. Where the present separated bike infra ends rather than the... I dont know but I aint going that way that you think I should and neither would the cyclists also using West St.

quote:

I'm not plonking them down in xyz, I'm carefully placing them in very specific places, using a very strategic formula - follow the trainlines, motorways, waterways, and the edges of golfcourses (and graveyards), as closely as possible, as well as existing paths of course. If we do that, then we get this:

Which I hope we can agree offers maximum coverage and connection, with minimum cost and disruption. I do have the street-level detail for pretty much all of it, but yes it does need to be communicated more clearly, so we can leave it there while I keep working on that, thanks again.
By starting with what we already have, zooming out to look at the big picture and how to connect it, these natural corridors present themselves, and what emerges is this network, which the premier can have if he wants by basically clicking his fingers.

Anyway, that'll do for now. Pretty psyched about those showers on the wharves.

I had a good look at your map and plonking them down in xyz Is *exactly* what I would call it because I can id half a dozen areas immediately you can not even think about building there and it gets worse the more I look. Now maybe I'm coming at this hard but frankly anyone really opposed to any bike plan will be far worse in their objections. If it can not stand up to someone who is nominally on bike lane's side who hasnt even really given things a hard look and moreover knows the roads, then it will not fly full stop.

New CBD construction is asking for End Of Trip facilities and as several buildings in the CBD have proven, you can retofit EOT facilities. Showers at wharves will not be used by cyclists but would more be taken by tourists and the homeless and actually thats without a bit snark a really good idea to give the homeless somewhere to clean themselves. Lets do that and let the EOT be handled by CBD buildings and enforced by council by-law

quote:

which the premier can have if he wants by basically clicking his fingers.

Ummmmm..............

Wow

Yeah nah doesnt work that way

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JBP posted:

Can someone summarise this bike lane chat. Is it thousands of miles of bike lanes installed with the expectation that everyone suddenly rides bikes?

Also ferries to take the bikes.

Bike lanes made from ferries

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JBP posted:

Because four corners is doing what amounts to clickbait investigations.

Exactly what are you referring to, because the episode list of 4Corners is 100% NOT showing clickbait investigations

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

........ do you know what a maintenance right of way for public infrastructure is and why it applies esp to water infra?

......... it's not literally for free

......... Holy poo poo you admit it goes nowhere why should we listen any further esp when you seem determined to prove you dont ride bikes at all?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The first one connects the existing gold-class routes in the big blue circles. As well as everything along the path itself of course. The red line is what we're talking about. There is currently no decent way between them.

....... I say once again you keep proving you are no cyclist *Because the route you say is missing ACTUALLY EXISTS*

I am not going to demonstrate it with a Strava map because I dont ride itt hat much, I know of road based backstreet routes I prefer.

You also drew the location of the Cooks River cycle path wrong. It terminates at the top of Rookwood, it does not do.... whatever l you think it does and certainly does not go through Chullora Rail Goods Yard.

Near Clyde "gold standard" path does not exist.

It's too easy to dismiss anything you say when you get basic facts wrong

quote:

The second one goes to Mulgoa, which while certainly not a top priority at the moment is still a lovely way to get all the way west, especially when we can have it for free tomorrow. If nothing else it's a good spot for people to get fit.

quote:

This road is ready to go. Everything up to this point is paid for. That’s what’s literally free you ridiculous pedants. Also you avoid having to pay for all those fights.

The place to get fit is the M7 Cycleway. Now tell me, exactly WHAT are cyclists going to ride on if by some magic the clearway is allowed to be used?

Hmmmmmm? Oh wait most of that route is actually impassible - both the 7 km section in the mid west and after Prospect and needs about 150 million in work to make a path by a rough calculation and even with the 7km path there needs to be bridges, the accessway also abruptly switches north to south with no join half a dozen places IF it exists and who the hell wants MULGOA as a destination when there is a burning loving need for a cycleway to Penrith from Parramatta?!?!? You know, maybe an actual good way to spend money to make a good transport path and somewhere people actually want to ride to?

Literally for free is just the biggest LOL NO

quote:

And if you're worried about the cost of the tunnels just get the army reserve to dig them as an exercise or something.

Thats not how the Army Reserve works. Making a safe tunnel isn't about just picking up a shovel and get digging.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We've already established your definition of "exists" is not suitable for the masses

No, what we have established is that I know about Sydney cycling and you dont.

quote:

It will when I'm done with it. Not through the rail yard itself obviously, but connect the top of the Cooks River at Ada Ave to the water Pipes below Lewis st.

Your handwaving about cutting through protected wetlands, areas of private land, crossing rail lines and major arterials is astounding. "Literally free" heh?

quote:

Yes and it's going to get a lot busier once we make it viable for the masses so we need to account for that

What part of the M7 is not viable for the masses already?

quote:

I can't see what works yours actually involved but this doesn't require any building, or even any whipper-snippering

Want me to do a google map and highlight near Regents Park the three places this is literally wrong?

quote:

Indeed

......Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd?

quote:

Speaking of which, shoutout to Prospect Canal Path. Outstanding, no notes

All distances from Guilford

You can do some knarly jumps at 5km and 5.5kms with the concrete folds, with a bit of pump I can get some major airtime. At 6km where the path leaves the aqueduct there is a subsidence that you need to judge carefully or you can lose your front wheel as it's a corner. It's narrowish in places, it drains badly at 4.2kms and there's damage at 1.8kms. it goes.... nowhere to the west and continuing thru Prospect Res is not allowed after dark, leavingto go .... ummmm.... well you need to turn at 5.8kms to Smithfield which is somewhere I guess but at 6.6km it ends and you got either the Res which doesnt really go anywhere that isnt suicide by road (the connection to the M7 is seriously 0_0 narrow badly maintained road) or use the lovely footpath and go north for 2km connect to a bike path to Blacktown.

Solution - widen the present path, fix the problems, bike path along Chandos Rd to the west connecting to the M7 path, bike path west along the Prospect Hwy connecting to the interchange at GWH / M4. NOW we are close to a gold standard.

Outstanding and no notes you say?

Once again you lead me to the conclusion you are not a cyclist.

Prospect Waterway bike path is actually overall if you live near Prospect and Smithfield not bad and a pretty decent basis to work from to extend that I do like riding but it's got problems. BIG problems on the west side

quote:

oh I forgot this route also passes a few km above the new airport at Badgerys Creek, and connects it directly to the M7 and on to the whole rest of the network.

You might be astounded to know there are existing routes and currently a lot of in build for Northern Road, Elizabeth Drive and the M12 and I wonder if they finished the one that was deep in progress on Bringelly Road the last time I rode there three years ago? Google Maps says.... oh wow they did!

Also

https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/draftplans/exhibition/bradfield-city-centre-master-plan

Bradfield is not going to have half assed cycling infra tacked on, it's ground up from day one that is properly intergrated to Metro and existing bike routes

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 11, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You're right, people love spending hours in traffic and hundreds of dollars per week on petrol and parking, car-dependence rules, no one would like an alternative that gives people of all ages and abilities complete autonomy, and the reason 80% of people barely ride has nothing to do with the fact that there isn't a cohesive network to get them where they need to go without having to be in touching distance of motor vehicles.

Grassroots campaigns with established support bases have done some wonderful things at the local level, but they haven't produced the network we need, cos the structure of that process isn't designed to. There's one person we need to convince.

It's called Public Transport. You know the thing that you do a short hop to then use to get to your destination that already exists to varying degrees?

In Canada you can ride to a bus top, put your bike on the front of the bus - they have bike racks on the front! - and then ride the bus to close to your destination, then hop off and do the last km on bike? It's really cool and so so so less loving stupid than dedicated ferries for bikes when you can already take a bike on a ferry to the very few destinations where that is actually useful. Here's one for free, bike racks on buses

Did you know planners have got this scheme of funneling last km cyclists and pedestrians onto Metro rather than cars? Planners actually ARE working towards car free travel or minimalised car use with a intergrated plan, when the Metro opens to Sydenham it's going to absolutly rule for the north west / north to ride to the bicycle storage racks at a station (accessed with your Opal card) or be able to take your bike on the easy access high frequency service to your destination last km commute.

The reasons why I'm not taking you seriously is that you clearly don't know what exists, what is going to exist in the future, how to integrate it to where people actually *want* to go, where cyclists actually do go now, ideas you present do not stand even the smallest scrutiny and you dont listen to good suggestions. I'd rather have something that works rather than some City of Sydney bunch of rubbish that pissed off riders for how useless it was and dumped riders into nowhere lands or worse dense traffic until the pandemic seemed to actually bring some form of actual planning to new ones

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Amethyst posted:

This idiot was a minister in John Howard's Cabinet.

What I'm sure your point will be what I am about to write, reminder Howard was seriously loving racist for anyone else. Real loving rich Downer screaming racism when the govt he was part of did the Children Overboard scare

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

What did the Greens do, (specifically), that made Downer so cross with them this time?

Refused to uncritically kiss Israel's rear end and dared suggest they might be doing genocide.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not going to quote the text

I lost braincells reading that rightwing style anti public transport vomit. Just stop.

(Yes spend billions on Metros and more rail and buses. Best solution for late night shiftworker going home. Spend as much as possible on actual solutions that work. I like cars but gently caress cars for commuting, Public Transport with bike last kms is by far the best)

Also a RAISED pathway that will increase the already steepish incline on Market St for cycling let alone all the other reasons it wont happen you just cant be serious. This has to be a long form troll I cant even try to entertain some sort of legit reply

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cartoon posted:

He's making the request for him to stop direct to the Premier! Duh.

The Premier will wave his hand and it will happen!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh look an actual well thought out plan that has a proper destination, links to existing routes and would get used. This will also link to Parramatta river cycle lanes and also to Concord West and create a link from Sydney Airport to Parramatta via bike and pedestrian path. While some of the bike paths are foul IMO after Sydney Airport, it actually gives you a viable cycling route from Taylor's Square / Oxford St to Westmead via the south. That also gives you a route from Taren Point as well to Parramatta.

Bravo to Mr Moss, this is exactly what is required and so so so well thought out.

quote:

By your logic, the rigorous interrogation the superhighway plan has been put through is rightwing style anti-cycling vomit. If you can't answer basic and important questions about your supposedly superior plan then maybe it's not so superior after all.

Stop wasting our time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 13, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe he can solve the Red Rooster line next

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Budzilla posted:

Bring back thatfatkid

Ugh, can we have Bucky posting some 10,000word nonsense instead?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Urcher posted:

Is paying the police to be there a requirement of holding a large event? Or could they have not paid (and not had any police presence)?

If police permission is required for the event - you would be surprised just how and when that permission is required - then yes if they deem it necessary. You don't get a choice if the police say it's part of giving a permit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Recoome posted:

I agree that JBP is the Australian Three Olives

drat, there's no recovering from that burn

In regards to Mardi Gras - bunch of my friends who are transgender are looking forward to it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JBP posted:

Idk what a three olives is but if it means not being a leftist reactionary then I am many olives

Does your toaster have a touchscreen?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

not really, but speaking of, spent a bit of time studying how large crowds move in and out of Olympic Park over the weekend.

There is a magnificent approach to the north.

Which get literally locked off at 5 pm, for reasons which are unclear

People are forced to take a bus, train, or drive.

So, open that up, put a wharf at the end, and boom, we can ease the strain and make everyone's night better.

That is a literal heritage listed wharf that will stop any development, the area has protected heritage buildings, it is filled with OH&S hazards that you do not want Joe Public near at night and there's an existing wharf WITH a bike path closer it *at Rhodes*

Also at low tide you can walk on the riverbed of the Newington side as the river has become re-wilded - the existing boat ramp and wharf becomes unusable. Oh and, Olympic Park esp on event evenings actually has it's own train line, it's own dedicated bus services and in a few years time is getting Light Rail in Stage 2 of the Parra Light Rail, which is already under development. Right and also it's getting a Metro West stop in a couple of years time too that under build.

Why exactly would I ride a bike to see a concert there?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Because it’s way nicer, healthier, cheaper, quieter, better for the environment, better for the rest of the public, and depending on the destination, often quicker. The river is beautiful. Instead of standing in a boring stinky queue for 45 minutes to get a crowded bus or a train underground for another half hour at least and then having to drive home from the station, you can be out under the stars enjoying an evening cruise, while making the queue shorter for everyone else. Why on earth would you not include that option in the transport mix for a major events precinct.

Because with three train lines who the hell wants to ride home? More to the point *how the absolute gently caress do you think there will be anything close to the capacity to move everyone by ferry*??!?! Spoiler alert, you dont. Not even close.

quote:

It’s such a depressingly white-colonialist mindset. Why would I use my legs, and the water that we have been naturally provided with, when I can just bulldoze the land and lay some tracks for a giant metal cage instead?

Yes, why exactly walk when the *underground* trains are there like the present tunneling for the Metro and the existing Olympic Park that pops out on what was existing line?

quote:

There is an existing wharf at Wentworth Point, not Rhodes. It’s called Olympic Park, but it’s further from the stadium than the Newington Wharf is. (3.5 km vs 2.7 Km). It’s a concrete slab, and the route is nowhere near as nice.

Nah, it's def closer and it's close to Rhodes so I'm calling it Rhodes because .... oh wait Rhodes is an existing heavy rail station why am I taking the ferry at 10pm, likely in the cold and possibly rain again?

quote:

It’s not too shallow for ferries to pass at low tide, but yes, I am proposing a new wharf. A great way to preserve heritage is to keep using it as originally intended. It will cost a fraction of a single meter of tunnel and light rail track, inconvenience exactly zero people during its construction, and serve the vast majority of people who don’t live within walking distance of the stage 2 route.

You completely ignored the comment about the NEWINGTON side being out of the water at low tide. Just like you ignore any other real issues. Goodluck getting the DA approved for a heritage site that is under active process of being rewilded as a sensitive wetland area anyway

The reason why no one takes you seriously is that your "proposals" do not stand even five seconds of honest appraisal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Have you actually looked at a timetable or are you just pulling bullshit out of your arse?

This isn't even getting into the capacity differences.

There are direct trains between Central and Olympic Park during big events with very limited stops every couple of minutes that use the Interstate platforms at Central to do turn backs, thence for say the Easter Show - you go to Central and get the express to Olympic Park. There is also the shuttle service to Lidcombe but there is zero way a ferry is beating a train to the CBD....... yeah, he's just pulling it out of his rear end without knowing what's availible.

Also a bunch of trains also make additional stops at Lidcome during major events so you can link with T1, T3 and T2

Speaking of capacity differences, the RiverCats don't have the multi gangplanks of say the Manly Ferries and they are also narrow (Yeah they are kinda a prick to get bikes on and off with), sooooooo getting people on and off tends to take a while. Trains at Olympic Park unload on one side and load on the other meaning the train dwell time is low.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KingEup posted:

2 days left to sign the petition for repealing it: https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN5905

No. The cigarette companies have been trying to make vaping seem cool and good esp with targeting at kids so frankly vaping can go gently caress the hell off.

Recoome posted:

e: no need to violence kids though, classic NSWPOL

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Meanwhile cigarette companies are resorting to the same old tricks to encourage teens to vape

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2022-12-22/vaping-e-cigarette-tricks-loopholes-industry-target-young-people/101793648

https://ecigator.com/lounge/rise-and-decline-of-juul/ - and dont think just because Juul is in trouble means Phillip Morris and BAT are not up to the necks in the same bullshit they long have done

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/12/philip-morris-lobbying-to-stop-who-attack-on-vapes-and-similar-products

gently caress em.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

LOLWUT is that all that Kerr said? Just called a cop a white bastard? And she is really being charged for that? Thats so pathetic

JBP posted:

Don't racially vilify anyone is my controversial take.

Yeah nah, 10 bucks says the cop said something first

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Anyway I think we should probably apologise to King Eup cos it seems like they were actually on the right side of the issue

Hell loving no, vapes can go to straight to hell alongside Big Tobacco and their proven attempts to get kids hooked on them. Go design a biikepath over Glaesville through Putney or something more worth the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well this aint what I was expecting to read this morning