Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I read an essay a decade or more ago in the back of one of their issues or annuals where one of the Chaser guys basically repeated uncritically Roger Bate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Bate) talking points on using DDT to combat malaria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Fighting_Malaria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't really care about the Chaser (they are still around?) and bit confused about that wiki link but DDT is still in use this day as one of the chemicals used to mitigate malaria (which kills more than 200k children under 5 each year). Generally, the mosquitos have a higher resistance to DDT than the other persistent chemicals and so is not in that year's mix but the resistance of mosquitos to chemicals is changing all the time so some years DDT is the most effective (generally do a mosquito sample and test program ahead of the wet season/twice a year) and therefore the one used for wall spraying that year might include DDT.

There is night and day difference in malaria stats between villages that have a spraying campaign and those that don't.

Of course, just recently there is vaccines being rolled out which will hopefully make an even bigger difference at far less cost but it is still early days for that.

Roger Bates is a hatchetman for various dubious companies and industries to discredit genuine concerns about those companies and their practices.

The precise argument he peddles is that DDT is the very best method of malaria control and these stupid environmentalist don't understand the situation in Africa because otherwise they'd be in favour of using DDT and isn't that the real racism?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

HazCat posted:

If Jews do not want to be associated with Zionism they need to denounce Zionism because Zionism is intentionally actively associating Judaism with Zionism and if Jews do not fight then Zionists will successfully make that association.

I am not saying 'if Jews don't denounce Zionism they deserve to face anti-semitism', I am saying that if Jews do not denounce Zionism they will face anti-semitism, because Zionism intentionally stokes anti-semitism against Jews. I am not making a moral argument in defense of anti-semitism against anyone.

I cannot possibly be clearer that I am not an anti-semite, that I do not hold anti-semetic beliefs, that all I want is for Jews to not be associated with Zionism against their will, which is what was happening in this thread. And just for further clarity, I believe everybody has a moral obligation to condemn Israel even if it is not in their personal best interest, because Israel is committing genocide.

When someone says 'the Jews control the media', the correct response is not 'you can't say that, that's anti-semitic'. It's 'no they don't, you're talking about the Zionists'.

When someone says 'the Jews are interfering with international poltiics'the correct response is not 'you can't say that, that's anti-semitic'. It's 'no they don't, you're talking about the Zionists'.

When someone says 'Jews poisoned wells', the correct response is not 'you can't say that, that's anti-semitic'. It's 'no they didn't, you're talking about the Zionists'.

And if they say 'well, but that's the same thing really, isn't it?' the correct response is 'no, Zionism is not Judaism, the Jews are not to blame for the actions Zionists take, no matter how much Zionists claim they represent all Jews'.

Anti-Zionism is not anti-semitism.

Sounds like all you're doing is defending anti-semitism by advocating for search and replace jew with the word zionist. as if phrases like "zionist occupied government" isn't neo-nazi through and through

don't say muslim say Islamofacist/Islamist type poo poo

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 12, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
a guy with a Buckminster Fuller username is a crank?

colour me surprised

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Big surprise. You'd have to be insane to progressive no vote