Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Today we learn that the Tenakth use body bags.

I respect that it forces a choice, I also appreciate that at the endpoint they don't actually have a solution to their problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 22 In the Flood (Literally)

I hope y'all like swimming, puzzles, and wandering around cranes for far too long.

This is also the debut of the shredder gauntlet, one of the cooler weapon types introduced in Forbidden West. It's got a learning curve, but once you figure out how to use them properly, they become really powerful. Arktix has a great video on how to use them: Shredder Gauntlet Master Class (some spoilers for machines we haven't seen yet).

SIGSEGV posted:

Today we learn that the Tenakth use body bags.

I respect that it forces a choice, I also appreciate that at the endpoint they don't actually have a solution to their problem.

The way that the Tenakth take military terms and make them their own is pretty charming, see also how Chaplains became their version of historians.

I also respect that you have to make a choice. The choice doesn't really affect anything; you don't get any different rewards for choosing the other person, but I appreciate that you have to make it based on what you feel is right and not pressured to choose which one's better based on practical gameplay reasons.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Take note that, as the recent video's mission reveals, the whole tribe of Tennath are using cinnabar in their ritual tattoo inks- and thus enduring mercury poisoning. The game never really goes into the implications of that...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cinnabar is beautiful and plenty of cultures with access to it had plenty of interesting ideas regarding it.

Very few of them were about how it is slow blow poison, sometimes science takes all the fun out of things.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 23 Someone make Melee Pits make sense

Another day, another Melee Pit. This one seems more fitting as the first one than the Chainscrape one IMO. The challenges play more like tutorials and the Pit Master goes down like a chump.

SIGSEGV posted:

sometimes science takes all the fun out of things.

This is also a game where a girl 100lbs soaking wet gets hit by 2 ton hunks of metal on the regular and walks away no problem.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’ve always thought of Aloy as packing more than 130 lb of muscle, skill, and training, comparable to female mma athletes. But those unfamiliar with the reality of such sports can substitute their own preferred illusions.

If anyone is wondering, there are custom cutscenes for Yara in the Lost Child mission if you pick her over Draga. They play out pretty much the same. :D

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 24 MasterChef: Desert Clan

A couple more nice little side quests. I think this is really the first time we hear about Veterans, Tenakth sent over to teach the Utaru to fight. I also really like the chef NPC who gives us the food quest; she's just so excited about cooking :3:

Salt Bite is a nice little town and is probably the easier place to get any goose parts. Geese spawn very rarely elsewhere.

coop52 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 21, 2024

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 25 Into the land of Daddies
Ep. 25a Into the land of Daddies (no commentary over cutscenes)

Continuing on with the story, we're off to the Memorial Grove and our first meeting with Chief Hekarro on our quest to get a hold of our first subfunction.

We also have a nice interlude with Zo getting her backstory. A lot of people online post about wanting a Rost prequel game or DLC, but a Zo DLC set during the battle for Barren Light sounds pretty awesome too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I would enjoy a Zo DLC and also one as a character we’ve met before and will again later. :) (Kotallo, if it's not obvious.)

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 25, 2024

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 26 Buddy Cop Vibes
Ep. 26a Buddy Cop Vibes (no commentary over cutscenes)

Time for an adventure with our new friend Kotallo! This video also features one of my favorite cutscenes in the game (the one at the bottom of the Bulwark, you'll know it when you see it).

The Tremortusk fight can be a doozy. They give you a bow with Tear Precision (aka Tearblast) arrows for a reason: using them to knock components off can make the fight easier. I had a hard time finding the sweet spot for the rocket launchers for some reason. I think one of the more challenging parts of the fight is the fact that the space is a little confining. I hate fighting big machines like that in small spaces. I don't think this Tremortusk is any weaker than ones you find out in the wild. It's a good idea to get used to fighting them since you'll need a bunch of their drops to upgrade end-game gear.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep.27 Down with the Mountain
Ep. 27a Down with the Mountain (no commentary over cutscenes)

Continuing our mission to humiliate Tekotteh ensure the Sky Clan sends their best to the Kulrut. We also pick up a sidequest to help a nice nerdy kid complete his right of passage.

:eng101: There are merchants later in the game where you can buy Bellowback and Frostclaw Sac Webbings if you prefer instead of hunting for them, but not for Fireclaws. No choice but to grind for those, and you'll need around 30 to fully upgrade everything that needs them.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You sure you want to get involved with the Bulwark’s biggest loser?

Nobody asked me that before I met Tekoteh, so it’s a bit late.

:D

coop52
May 10, 2009

A random thought I had was that Tekotteh reminds me of a Game of Thrones villain (not any one in particular, just in a general sense) but I can't really explain why.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 28 I'm sorry I'm bad at video games

This video was recorded about a month after the last one, and in the interim I forgot a lot of how to play :v: I've been playing FFVII Rebirth in my free time (it's good btw). Apparently there are dev interviews talking about how they were inspired by the Horizon series when creating the open world elements. I can see some of the influence: a lot of the environment designs remind me of Horizon, and the tower things are basically Tallnecks but boring. There's also some things I noticed that were straight up lifted from Ghost of Tsushima as well.

The Bulwark melee pit is utter bullshit and I hate it so much. Fighting multiple opponents without a good crowd control ability to give you some breathing room sucks rear end. In the main game, there's a Valor Surge called Radial Blast that works great when you're surrounded but you can't use Valor Surges in the pit.

To be completely fair, I suck at fighting games because I forget combos and tend to button mash and panic, which seems to lead to most of my bad runs.

The Hunting Grounds are refreshingly straight-forward, two trials proving you know how to use their respective elements and one proving you know how to use shredders. Just need to practice my shredder catching some more.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Hunting Grounds Shredder Gauntlet Challenge was the only time I learned to appreciate Shredder Gauntlets in the game. So much so that if I ever write a Ninja Turtles fanfic, I am totally giving their arch enemy that weapon.

I had to do a lot of evasion in the Bulwark melee pit boss fight. Instinct also led me to concentrate on the big guy first, which was a mistake.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE

Ep. 29 There's a Snake in my 'Rut
Ep. 29a There's a Snake in my 'Rut (no commentary over cutscenes)

I finally beat the Melee Pit, skip ahead to 18:27 if you want to just watch the successful run. My favorite bad run is at 14:00.

The Kulrut (or rather defending it) is really fun and has some great story cutscenes at the end.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We should all be thankful for the technology brought to us by the Alloy Space Program.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 30 Chewed up in the Maw

The Arena's now open! The Arena is holds a good chunk of the elite weapons/outfits, which means you'll probably want to complete at least some of the challenges to complete your endgame loadout.

One thing I forgot to mention: items you use in the Arena such as ammo and potions are returned to you when you're done. This has lead to discovery of an item duplication glitch that involves leaving the Arena by jumping over its invisible walls to find a Stash. The ability to use this glitch seems to disappear and reappear depending on the current patch.

We also return to the Base to have a nice hang-out moment. I really like conversing with our growing friend group, and watching them figure out the Focuses is pretty cute :3:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
A lot of people who played this game found themselves not liking the Arena. I'm not sure why- I enjoyed it well enough. Only issue was I steamrolled through it due to playing on low difficulty. :)

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 31 Girl in a Box
Ep. 31a Girl in a Box (no commentary over cutscenes)

Investigating the Eluthia signal with our pals Varl and Erend! Guess what we find!

The Specters aren't terribly tough once you acid them up; you can see the acid eat away at least a half of their health on both fights. I'm not sure if these are weaker than ones we'll encounter later.

We also get some more nice conversations with the gang at the base.

achtungnight posted:

A lot of people who played this game found themselves not liking the Arena. I'm not sure why- I enjoyed it well enough. Only issue was I steamrolled through it due to playing on low difficulty. :)

No shame at all in playing the Arena on story. I think a lot of people do just to make the grind easier.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love that Aloy and Beta are both big hand talkers.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 32 Hippie Conspiracy

A quick backtrack to Plainsong where things ain't alright. One of our quests involves rescuing some hunters; the food situation's bad enough that they've had to give up their vegetarian ways. Our other quest involves a murder mystery where the victm was someone wanting to at least try to improve their situation. I do like that we have more stuff to do in Plainsong after we've largely left that area behind story-wise.

I'm also not sure if there's been a settled term for a male Karen. Kevin sounded pretty good to me so I went with it.

coop52 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 21, 2024

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 33 Not One (Cauldron) Iota

Cauldron time! :buddy: I really like this one, probably my favorite of the Forbidden West ones.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The image of Aloy rising out of the Cauldron atop a Tallneck is indeed super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 34 Contract Labor

Finishing up with the salvage contracts for this area. This lady is important since she's got a good selection of machine parts for sale, particularly the elusive Bellowback Sac Webbing needed for a ton of upgrades for blue and early purple grade weapons and outfits, as well as for the override.

I also show off the Clawstrider mount at the end of the video. Clawstriders suck as rides since they're so slow (technically faster than running but still), but they have excellent utility in fights, especially the Elemental Clawstriders. The downside is that ones in Aggressive mode tend to pick fights with literally everything they see and aggro way too much. It's fine when they just decimate a herd of Grazers or something but not so much when they bring in the big guys when you're not ready for them.

achtungnight posted:

The image of Aloy rising out of the Cauldron atop a Tallneck is indeed super cool.

That's one of the reasons I like the Cauldron so much, so cool