Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

coop52 posted:

Revisiting the melee pits: they're officially awful. I'm not sure why they thought it'd be a good idea to introduce fighting game mechanics into an action RPG, but what do I know.

I'm currently 20 minutes into this one, kind of mystified.

On the one hand, the tutorial design is bad by not giving a clearer indication as to what is wrong ... on the other hand one would expect that when a move is titled Block Breaker, that someone would intuit that you wait until the thing you are fighting is BLOCKING before it will actually do anything.

The actual combat challenge, on the other hand, seems more clear. Defeat the enemy with the move. Not spam the move over and over until the enemy is defeated. Just beat the enemy down as quickly as possible -- wait for them to block -- and then use the move as a finisher. The trainer is actively shouting the solution at you during the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

coop52 posted:

The title Block Breaker is a bit of a misnomer; it'll break the enemy's defense and stun lock them regardless if they're blocking attacks or not. After doing research (and beating this challenge finally in this most recent recording session) the dumb thing is that spamming the move is the quickest way to beat the challenge. The issue I had previously was timing of the button presses. The game doesn't really give you any feedback on what you're doing wrong or right until you actually hit the combo and see the little pop up text for getting Valor for it. Though I'll happily admit that most of the problem is that I'm just bad :v:

MrFancyPants has a great guide on melee combat in general if anyone's interested (mild spoilers for future melee pits): Link

This is painfully true. I think the main issue I had with the melee in this game is that while it gives you all sorts of interesting sounding counters -- there just aren't a whole lot of visual or sound queues to let you know when they might be effective. The only exception is the one you showed off earlier where you get to add a temporary weak point to an enemy for you to shoot -- which the designers thankfully implemented in a way that falls in line with everything else you have already learned as a player. (Which is, glowing thing = weak point.)