Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
that's july 94 and it's a lovely picture sorry. if you need a transcript for any day just ask

ansel adams snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Pasketti posted:

excuse me posting my own baby picture but I wanted to show some nice 1994 living room furniture.

I like how you can see my dad's clock radio on the end table next to the couch and this weird blue cow pillow pillow, visual evidence that my parents stopped sharing the same bed immediately after my birth :ohdear:

Anyone that had their 1st apartment between 2003-2008 had this exact furniture.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

that's july 94 and it's a lovely picture sorry. if you need a transcript for any day just ask

ansel adams snype

May 1994 please, and TIA

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Clerks was released, and that has made a lot of people very mad.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

If you were in the market for Anne Geddes baby in flowers or Magic Eye calendars boy were you in luck.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

trying again

gently caress I HATE PHONES AND COMPUTERS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i could never get those drat magic eye things to work. my brother had one up on the wall in his room for years in the 90s apparently it was some kind of dinosaur but it was always just a blur of green and yellow dots to me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

trying again

lol thank you!

I hate pones too. I never feel old EXCEPT when I try and do something on a phone, and I inevitably start cursing and ranting like some old person.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Earwicker posted:

i could never get those drat magic eye things to work. my brother had one up on the wall in his room for years in the 90s apparently it was some kind of dinosaur but it was always just a blur of green and yellow dots to me

I hereby claim the status of one millionth person to unhelpfully offer the advice that you have to kind of un-focus your eyes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Earwicker posted:

I loved those things, but it took me so much practice before it suddenly clicked, that eye motion felt so unnatural. It feels legitimately worrisome how easy it is to relax my eyes out of focus since then, like my eye muscles are just primed to slack off if they're given half a chance.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

dee eight posted:

trying again

lol, this trips me up too, sometimes. I think you are supposed to make sure the volume buttons are on the top of the phone when you shoot landscape.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

y'know back in 1994 i had a camera that was very easy and intuitive to operate but now poo poo is all hosed up and bullshit

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I feel your pain. I loved the old Polaroid Land Camera that would spit out the picture and you gathered around and watched it develop. Digital isn't fun at all compared to that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

y'know back in 1994 i had a camera that was very easy and intuitive to operate but now poo poo is all hosed up and bullshit

Remember swapping out rolls of film? lol

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I remember one of these commercials. The one with the record scratch music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7s0YOKS3pU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I remember one of these commercials. The one with the record scratch music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7s0YOKS3pU

Mom? Dad? I'm going to Art School.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

I hereby claim the status of one millionth person to unhelpfully offer the advice that you have to kind of un-focus your eyes.

That only worked for me like three times out of every thousand attempts so I’d just cross my eyes and even then the image went the wrong way, inward instead of outward

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Devin Townsend formed/turned into Strapping Young Lad in 1994, thereby starting his journey to become my favorite musician.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

September 1994: giving up on stupid camera bullshit

4th - father's day in australia and new zealand. papa b goes apeshit and throws the poorly designed and badly implemented sander safety barriers into the dumpster, declares "gently caress OSHA". all the sander operators and graders stand up and cheer.
5th - labor day. "work is the ruin of the drinking class"
6th - rosh hashanah. a man with a propeller atop his yarmulke pays tribute to hammerin' hank greenberg
11th - :rip: jessica tandy. embalming miss daisy
12th - a day late and 7 years early a secret service agent says, "I'm afraid it's true, Mr. President. Sky King and Penny."
14th - one mister onionhead smif is high on harry* and has overdosed

*harry merlo, at the time, ceo and top dog of louisiana-pacific corporation. fondly known as smilin' harry by all the millrats

18th - silly me signed up for an extra shift and missed an indy car race on tv :(
19th - a reference to a really disgusting inside joke. now i can't help but have a rude chuckle every time i hear about somebody pulling a ham string.
20 - 21 - 22 - all references to rick the prick, a really mentally broken person who caused no end of trouble without half trying.
all three days start with "A day without rick is like a day without.. " (3rd degree burns on your face) (amoebic dysentery) (barry manilow)
25th - flag at half staff for writer robert bloch
30th - gonna be a sports center weekend (watching sports center was a euphemism for jerking off, thanks to a punking delivered to a forklift driver)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Earwicker posted:

Those were easy. You just cross your eyes, if you're able to do so, and make the pattern overlap. Takes 5 seconds or less once you got the hang of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Those were easy. You just cross your eyes, if you're able to do so, and make the pattern overlap. Takes 5 seconds or less once you got the hang of it.

But then it's inverted, you don't want any surprises poking out at you!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Amazing. Nobody tell what that is. 🤣

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The hint is right there in the texture

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i still cant get it to work but i can tell what image it is from the color palette, the pattern, and the fact that this is gbs

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hello old friend

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If those things came out today people would say they had hidden COVID messages or Trump is hiding some 5d chess moves in them.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
In 94, instead of "turn on your monitor" we'd say "degauss your monitor"

Here's a good site to waste time reminiscing the good (??) old days.

https://www.my90stv.com

I turn on newscasts and commercials to help me fall asleep sometimes.

There are sites for 1950s-2000s too!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh god, Magic Eye poo poo. I was working somewhere in '94 that used one for the cover of their catalogue that year. The whole office just gather around staring at that poo poo like lunatics for half an hour and only three or four of us could actually do it.

"..FISH! It's a load of fish facing right! Right?"

tango alpha delta posted:

I feel your pain. I loved the old Polaroid Land Camera that would spit out the picture and you gathered around and watched it develop. Digital isn't fun at all compared to that.

Preach it sista!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Did you know there was Magic Eye on video?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Indeed, we owned that tape. I got really good at controlling my eye muscles through repeated viewings. I can get Magic Eyes instantly now by lining up the repeating textures. Same technique I use to do "spot the difference". Overlap the images into one, and the differences kind of look like they're 'buzzing'.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Same technique I use to do "spot the difference". Overlap the images into one, and the differences kind of look like they're 'buzzing'.

I remember the moment I figured that out, doing one of those puzzles in a magazine at the dentist's office. It was kind of sad, I remember thinking well, these puzzles are pointless forever now. I still think about that every time one pops up in a mobile game ad now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Did you know there was Magic Eye on video?

Was it just a series of magic eyes on a screen, or were the stereograms actually animated? Because I never saw one of those until the last few years.

https://i.imgur.com/vUX2r9Z.mp4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Hello old friend

a magic eye commemorative goatse 12 month calendar with color commentary from the Doctor of Goatse himself would be a top-seller

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Powered Descent posted:

Was it just a series of magic eyes on a screen, or were the stereograms actually animated? Because I never saw one of those until the last few years.

https://i.imgur.com/vUX2r9Z.mp4

Just zoom effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNBix9AjqsM

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

isaboo posted:

In 94, instead of "turn on your monitor" we'd say "degauss your monitor"

Here's a good site to waste time reminiscing the good (??) old days.

https://www.my90stv.com

I turn on newscasts and commercials to help me fall asleep sometimes.

There are sites for 1950s-2000s too!

My God. I just saw a First Financial commercial starring (longtime University of Louisville basketball coach) Denny Crum. That was unexpected.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It occurs to me I barely watched TV in the 90's. Just out of college, none of the places I lived in had tvs for years, moving around, living on couches, etc. Poor as hell. No TV and no interest really.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

It occurs to me I barely watched TV in the 90's. Just out of college, none of the places I lived in had tvs for years, moving around, living on couches, etc. Poor as hell. No TV and no interest really.

I knew an old timer in SF who can proudly boast he never owned a TV back when that meant something. He read roughly a book a day, wrote novels, smoked cigarettes while staring at the ceiling, and other things that didn’t involve posting. People knew how to be bored properly in those days.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I had a little black and white TV in my room, I mostly used it to play Nintendo and watch X-Files because no one else in my family liked the show.

I moved out with my boyfriend in 1999 and while we got a used TV, Playstation, and an N64 from some classified ads in the newspaper, we didn't watch any TV because we made less than $6 an hour and cable was too expensive, especially with reality TV suddenly taking over everything. Not worth it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

redshirt posted:

:same: except for the ‘00s. We did get cable for a bit, but we didn’t even keep it for a year because it was such a waste with two hundred channels of nothing to watch. Id say tv reached its nadir in the first half of that decade but I haven’t watched, uh, legacy?—idk what to call it—tv since that brief period with cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

alright i'm gonna finish this mess i started

October 1994:

5th - a man hammers his dick flat with a wooden mallet.
14th - a newspaper headline declares that "[redacted slur] wins Nobel Peace Prize" and "Rev. Jackson pissed off"
22nd - we note the passing of actor Burt Lancaster
24th - Diogenes longs for sodium pentothal
29th - happy 65th birthday to my dad
31st - trick or treat, smell my... feet (a rude inside joke about another co-worker)

November 1994

1st - an accident in the shipping dept. leads to the text: "Us trucker is like cats. We alwus lands onner head so we don' git hert."
7th - monday before election day and a man with an "I GO POGO" shirt opines, "I don't want to vote for any of those poo poo heads. I wish politicians were ineligible to run for office."
8th - a vote for Oat Willie is a vote for free pizza
9th - the american public has spoken, the stupid bastards
13th - a millrat exclaims, "This is about as much fun as bump-drafting a ford pinto with an international travelall"
14th - another states, "Try bump-drafting a concrete wall with a benneton ford" (congrats to michael schumacher on winning the world driving championship)
22nd - sadly we note the passing of Cab Calloway
30th - RIP Jerry Rubin

December 1994

9th - "What did you do in school today, junior?" "Got stoned and jerked off" (shout out to surgeon general Joycelyn Elders)
24th - Tiny Mit the lame dyslexic boy says, "Dog bless us, everyone"

glad that's done with, ffs