Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Am I the only one who jerked off a lot in 1994?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

There were 5.6 billion people in the world then, so it's safe to say, no, you weren't.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

I only picked up the hobby in 1999

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Masturbation is sinful

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Helluva year for movies.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?title_type=feature&release_date=1994-01-01,1994-12-31

Pulp Fiction I saw opening weekend. The air went out of the room during the needle scene
The Boomer-wet-dream Forrest Gump was released.
Speed, Ace Ventura, soo may greats.

I saw Dumb and Dumber opening weekend. I was on a 2nd date with a girl (who asked ME out) and was trying to play it cool.

And then this scene (You know don't you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AVMcJa77PM

I was crying laughing. If I held back the laughter I would have poo poo my pants for sure. The entire theatre was laughing but I swear I was the loudest. Thought for sure this girl now thinks I'm an idiot but we went back to hers that night. That's another tale for another thread.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Helluva year for movies.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?title_type=feature&release_date=1994-01-01,1994-12-31

Pulp Fiction I saw opening weekend. The air went out of the room during the needle scene
The Boomer-wet-dream Forrest Gump was released.
Speed, Ace Ventura, soo may greats.

I saw Dumb and Dumber opening weekend. I was on a 2nd date with a girl (who asked ME out) and was trying to play it cool.

And then this scene (You know don't you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AVMcJa77PM

I was crying laughing. If I held back the laughter I would have poo poo my pants for sure. The entire theatre was laughing but I swear I was the loudest. Thought for sure this girl now thinks I'm an idiot but we went back to hers that night. That's another tale for another thread.

My man.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

I was 14.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The TV medical drama, ER debuted in late 94.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dk8EW8EacE

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
1994 was the year the dead and long-gone mall in my hometown was still bustling enough that I was there for no reason other than to hang out AND that when I ran into a casual acquaintance and started telling him about IRC he literally said "wait, what's the Internet?" in a way that would have seemed right out of a PSA about The Internet

One of the many reasons I cherish this memory is because that guy is a fairly successful video game designer now and I was there 30 years ago when he did not know what the Internet was

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh and I ALSO saw the Nine Inch Nails/Marilyn Manson/Jim Rose Sideshow Circus tour, at the Assembly Hall in Champaign, Illinois, though I will freely admit I was there to see Marilyn Manson, tragically (not that I disliked NIN, that would have been an exile-worthy offense in mid-1990s BBS/IRC culture)

Manson's stage banter "how many of you 14-year-olds wanna gently caress me now" seemed really cool/edgy at the time

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
It was like 1993, but with pubes.

And I think Final Fantasy 3/6 came out that year.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Szyznyk posted:

I was 14.

so was i

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

It was ok. I had my first hangover, was in possession of an actual weed joint for the first time, and had my first summer job washing dishes. I also played a lot of Mortal Kombat II. In the fall I started college and it was essentially mandatory to have either The Crow, Natural Born Killers, or the Pulp Fiction soundtrack in your CD collection.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Final Fantasy 3/6 came out, and that was the moment culture and history peaked.

Of course, it happened in the 90s, so everything before and after still sucked.

q:

Almost Smart posted:

It was like 1993, but with pubes.

And I think Final Fantasy 3/6 came out that year.

... brother...?

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 3, 2024

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Dick Jones posted:

It was ok. I had my first hangover, was in possession of an actual weed joint for the first time, and had my first summer job washing dishes. I also played a lot of Mortal Kombat II. In the fall I started college and it was essentially mandatory to have either The Crow, Natural Born Killers, or the Pulp Fiction soundtrack in your CD collection.

Woodstock’94 on cd from BMG music service.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

And as such we both owe Ms. Janet Jackson a big thank you for her music videos.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

some light 1994 musical hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFwQP86BRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHPkJkBS1vE

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Szyznyk posted:

I was 14.

Thirded. I turned 15 in November.

You know what else happened in November 1994? That’s right, this dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Thirded. I turned 15 in November.

You know what else happened in November 1994? That’s right, this dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnyeD8gxc_o

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
This commercial was on tv a lot

https://youtu.be/tcXQimc6Fiw?si=2MH4g5ThBXuoic4p

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dick's Last Resort

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Lies! The Sonic 3 cart had a bunch of save slots without the need for S&K. S3 had six save slots, S&K had 8.

I meant that Sonic & Knuckles had no save feature by itself. You needed Sonic 3 attached or you couldn't save your game.

Earwicker posted:

it started with Marilyn Manson coming out and doing his creepy rendition of the boat ride scene from Willy Wonka, which was probably the best part of his whole set. he also had a huge fake schlong attached to his pants that he ripped off and threw into the audience

This sounds comical now in a "dorky edgelord trying way too hard" way, but back then there were parents and politicians convinced that he was the literal antichrist trying to drag kids into the depths of hell.

1994, and the 90s in general, were still a time when all you had to do to freak out "the man" was wear black and get a bad haircut.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

not that I disliked NIN, that would have been an exile-worthy offense in mid-1990s BBS/IRC culture

the popularity of NIN, especially after Closer, caused a several-years-long flame war in rec.music.industrial in which die hard throbbing gristle/coil weirdos and skinny puppy/ministry rivetheads insisted that NIN had no place in the industrial music scene due to it also being pop music (not that skinny puppy's sound at the time was any less poppy really). meanwhile coil worked with nin directly and the result was some of the best electronic tracks of that era, on fixed and further down the spiral

The_Franz posted:

This sounds comical now in a "dorky edgelord trying way too hard" way, but back then there were parents and politicians convinced that he was the literal antichrist trying to drag kids into the depths of hell.

1994, and the 90s in general, were still a time when all you had to do to freak out "the man" was wear black and get a bad haircut.

at the time of that tour, not a lot of people knew who marilyn manson was. that was the tour that introduced him to big audiences for the first time, and his first album came out around then too. by the end of the year the christian suburbanites were saying poo poo like he was the "King of Goth". it was hilarious. until all that bullshit peaked in 99 with the moral panic following columbine and anyone wearing black was suddenly considered a potential mass murderer. and then within a few years after that his poo poo was played out the Onion ran a headline like "Marilyn Manson now going door to door trying to shock people".

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 3, 2024

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Earwicker posted:

the popularity of NIN, especially after Closer, caused a several-years-long flame war in rec.music.industrial in which die hard throbbing gristle/coil weirdos and skinny puppy/ministry rivetheads insisted that NIN had no place in the industrial music scene due to it also being pop music (not that skinny puppy's sound at the time was any less poppy really). meanwhile coil worked with nin directly and the result was some of the best electronic tracks of that era, on fixed and further down the spiral
God I probably read some of those threads, though I had the surprising restraint to not ALWAYS shoot my mouth off online about things I knew nothing about (with the exception of talking about D&D like I was an expert rather than having played for like six months at most)

I definitely remember arguments about NIN being something that "SHOULD NEVER BE loving PLAYED" at the goth/industrial dance night I occasionally frequented back when I was too young to understand why it was funny that as an under-21 I had "bottom" stamped on my hand to get in

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008
I can vaguely remember I liked playing with plastic dinosaur toys and the woman who ran the daycare I went to her teenage sons had a sega genesis and played sonic the hedgehog

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I got Megaman X for SNES right before New Years and Hot Shots Part Deux on VHS shortly thereafter. Some rear end in a top hat named Newt Gingrich showed up, but I was young and occupied with happier things.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

In 1994, some comic book dork released a low-budget black & white movie about two slackers working in a convenience store while having existential discussions about Star Wars and sucking 37 dicks, with a little necrophilia tacked on for good measure.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
Magic the Gathering had just released some of its most iconic sets, and was finally shaping up to be a game that would soon take the world by storm. With the Revised set and a handful of expansions, a fair if somewhat underpowered type 2 format became the premier tournament format. Dual Lands were cheap and flowed like springwater, they could be had for a measly $5 apiece unlike today's market that puts then between 300-600 each for the same versions

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

BasicLich posted:

Magic the Gathering had just released some of its most iconic sets, and was finally shaping up to be a game that would soon take the world by storm. With the Revised set and a handful of expansions, a fair if somewhat underpowered type 2 format became the premier tournament format. Dual Lands were cheap and flowed like springwater, they could be had for a measly $5 apiece unlike today's market that puts then between 300-600 each for the same versions

It is loving insane to me that people who drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on collectible card games don't just get a really good printer and card stock and just make their own. It can't be more expensive.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This was maybe the last bit of time in gaming when there was a major delay between the Japanese and US release of a game system, with the Sega Saturn and PS1 coming out in Japan several months before a full US launch. Kids reading gaming magazines would find a lot of ads for and articles about games yet to come out in the US.

Oh, yeah, Dead @ 21 premiered on MTV and I loved the poo poo out of that show. When we talk about how the 80s became the 90s and how the early 90s became the 90s we kind of think about, I think D@21 is sort of a project of that era of MTV that would vanish by late 1995.

It also feels like the first year that I can remember the Winter Olympics was treated as a big deal, from pre-game to finish, but that's maybe because of the Harding/Kerrigan fiasco that put a lot more attention on the games that year than other ones.

edit: I think I just remembered that the PS2 did have about 6 months between Japanese and US release, too.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 3, 2024

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Time_pants posted:

It is loving insane to me that people who drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on collectible card games don't just get a really good printer and card stock and just make their own. It can't be more expensive.

you can get some really good looking proxies for pretty cheap from a chinese printer and there are scripts that make it easy to put together a list of stuff, but for sanctioned events you run into some serious risks because of course WOTC has an incentive to make sure only their product can be used for that purpose

a lot has changed in the intervening 30 years, the most popular format is a casual format where proxies are welcomed because people just love to play the game and to see fun cards do weird poo poo.

it's reached a kind of equilibrium where you can think of what are known as "historic formats" are more akin to Formula One racing than are they are to, say, esports or chess.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Gen 13's comic book series started, too.

I think it's kind of notable for what feels like the end of that whole era of comics. It feels like the last traditional hero team of 'new team of mainly new original characters' to arrive with any attention.

Also, semi-related, the absolutely horrible WildCATs animated series came out. Jesus, I thought it was bad in 1994 when I saw a few minutes of it, but it was even worse the last time I tried to give it a watch.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I saw Jim Rose back when he was on the boardwalk in Venice Beach. His act was much more developed than the other weirdos that busked there. So it was a surprise to see him hit it big, but it also kind of wasn't.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol that just desserts one is fuckin wild

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
if we're talking about records that dropped in 94..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Bgj-za5k

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Saw Speed in the theater with my mom and sister. Being in Tucson, AZ, Keanu Reeves figures out why Sandra Bullock keeps getting called Wildcat (her sweatshirt logo) and says in the most Keanu Reeves socal way, “Arizona Wildcats.”

The entire theater erupted into loud applause and cheering. I think my mom was the loudest :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcNE5WcwHnM

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Everything about Speed is fantastic. It is to the 1990s what Commando was to the 1980s.

Even the intro credits that reek of early-consumer-3D-software are great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZzeiXJ24cE&t=41s

The way "SPEED" just pops onto the screen at that weird angle looking like the text on a birthday banner from The Print Shop Deluxe is :kiss:

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Lots of arrogant dickheads that got under my skin. I never had expensive gear, but I had perfectly serviceable gear in a Squier Telecaster and an Applause (budget Ovation) acoustic, but that was apparently poverty gear to others. I don't give a poo poo about it anymore, but at the time I gave up on it because I was tired of being mocked for it.

I ain't dropping a couple of thousand dollars on something I may or may not continue using later in life because some douche thought his Paul Reed Smith guitar was better. Who cares?

PRS guitars have always been a "point and laugh" situation for me.
"I want a PRS guitar, with the dragon inlays."

E: I take that back. I do not point and laugh at Ler from Primus.

caleb fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 3, 2024

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The_Franz posted:

Everything about Speed is fantastic. It is to the 1990s what Commando was to the 1980s.

Even the intro credits that reek of early-consumer-3D-software are great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZzeiXJ24cE&t=41s

The way "SPEED" just pops onto the screen at that weird angle looking like the text on a birthday banner from The Print Shop Deluxe is :kiss:

Good description, and lol at that title card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Of course no one knows who he is and he's all weird as gently caress on top of it. One girl asked for his autograph and he just wrote "I am the God of gently caress" on the napkin and handed it back to her.

Was that phrase associated with or popularized by him, or just some general edgy thing at the time? I only ever saw it a few years later on a shirt worn by some angsty goth girl in my homeroom in high school, which of course resulted in her being told to cover it up or change. She was 100% a stereotypical Manson fan though.

The funny part was that the teacher wasn't shocked or mad or anything, just "Yeah, you need to cover that up or turn it inside out. If someone else sees it, they're going to send you to the office."