Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Name: UltraShame
Personal Challenge: 25
Booklord 2024? Yes

Please give me a Wildcard!

---

Books read from NYD - Today:

A) Blindsight - Peter Watts
B) Nerdy, Shy and Socially Inappropriate - Cynthia Kim
C) Remote Control - Nnedi Okorafor
D) Uzumaki - Junji Ito
E) All Systems Red - Martha Wells
F) Alien: River of Pain - Christopher Golden

---

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 6/30
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men. B, C, E = 50%
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color. C, D = 33%
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers.
5. Read a work in translation - D
6. Read something that was nominated for an award A, C, D
7. Read something that is referenced in something else (a movie, a tv show, another book, etc.)
8. Read some poetry OR a play
9. Read something in the public domain
10. Read something you think is probably overhyped
11. Read something illustrated (whether it's a few splash pages or a comic, do whatever you like here!) D
12. Read two works by different authors who have a matching name (initials, first, last, middle, whatever)
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024) - F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

DurianGray posted:

How about Leech by Hiron Ennes? (Also counts toward LGBTQ+ author.)

Looks very interesting, thank you

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
G) Gyo - Junji Ito

I think this one is a lot weaker than Uzumaki, which I also read this year. The art was excellent, but the story felt underbaked comparatively. The dialogue and plot were razor thin and the overarching story was kind of like a horror flick that went on too long instead of making it point and being done with it.

The volume of this that I read did, however, contain "Amigara Fault" - the "this hole was made for me" one. THAT one was very tightly put-together, creepy as hell for someone with even minor claustrophobia like me, and lent itself to a great sense of mystery giving way to horror. It's a slight and sutble as something can be that goes by this quickly due to the format. Loved it.

H) A Feast for Crows - GRRM

This is probably my favorite Ice and Fire novel to date. Instead of casting itself around the globe of Westeros, it focuses on the brutal, rotting aftermath of the big war precipitated by the first few books. As much as I wanted to learn more about what Dany and Tyrion and Jon were up to, this is targeted on how the West has been decimated by said wars. While the common people are picking up the pieces and trying to find ways to survive to tomorrow, the nobles are still plotting and scheming and being horrible little loving shits as they always have been.

Cersei is a utter paranoid psychopath, blaming her servants for "shrinking her clothes" when she's probably just porking up from drinking like a fish for 2 years. Religious zealots overtake the capitol, and the entire continent feels like it's dying in a post-war decay. I didn't care at all for the Iron Islands stuff, but I guess it's going somewhere. Time will tell when I get to Dance with Dragons / GRRM finally writes the last book in 2035.

Brienne of Tarth is a captivating character, and I hope she doesn't meet the ingnominious end that it seems she did. She's wonderful.

I) Julie, or the New Heloise - Rousseau

I chose this one thank to this thread's "public domain" guideline! I did not expect to like this one as much as I did. An epistolary about class-forbidden love, the density of the prose kept me reading more than the plot. It led me down some wiki-holes that encouraged me to learn more about the setting and contemporary backdrop that I would never have read about before.

J) The Rainbow Abyss - Barbara Hambly

A very, very weird low fantasy pulp story about how magic is real but incredibly rare, takes reagents, can only be worked by certain people who have specific... phenotypes? It's very charming & has lovecraftian elements. The people who are able to use magic reliably are both subject to pogroms, and also sought out by the nobility for their uses. It has political intrigue, a very vivid history, and a Brian-Jacques level of describing things through the senses.

I liked this one way more than i thought i would.

---

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. 10/30
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men. B, C, E, J= 40%
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color. C, D = 10%
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers.
5. Read a work in translation - D, G, I
6. Read something that was nominated for an award A, C, D
7. Read something that is referenced in something else (a movie, a tv show, another book, etc.) H
8. Read some poetry OR a play
9. Read something in the public domain I
10. Read something you think is probably overhyped
11. Read something illustrated (whether it's a few splash pages or a comic, do whatever you like here!) D, G
12. Read two works by different authors who have a matching name (initials, first, last, middle, whatever)
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024) - F, H

---

Can I get some more Gay Book recommendations? It's a major blind spot in my normal perusing of stuff to read. If it helps, I like Sci Fi, Fantasy, and historical nonfiction works. Thank you!

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Queer SFF authors to check out that I've enjoyed, vaguely listed from most to least accessible:
Sarah Gailey
Becky Chambers
Rivers Solomon
Charlie Jane Anders
Tamsyn Muir
And of course Samuel R. Delany

...but there are loads more of course.

For a formal Wildcard, check out Riley Black, The Last Days of the Dinosaurs.

I have had Muir's stuff on my poo poo to Read list for a long time but never got around to it, will have to bump this one up the list. Thanks for this, and for the rest of the recs.