Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

First time taking part, hoping I do it right.

Name: Kuule hain nussivan
Personal Challenge: 52 (books)
Booklord 2024? Sure!

Here is my StoryGraph profile. I know it's private, but I would appreciate any friend requests since I like to know what other people are reading and stalk them for recommendations. Most of my stuff is in Finnish, so you might find some weird stuff that will get translated (like Elolliset by Iida Turpeinen which is eventually coming out in english as Beasts Of The Sea) too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Right, about time I try and put up a list of stuff I've read. I think it at the moment I'm slightly ahead of my target schedule. I mainly read in finnish since I'm currently in-between ereaders and restricted by the local library selections, but I'll try and add an english title where one is available. Bolded stuff is especially good and recommended.

1. John Ajvide Lindqvist - Kuinka kuolleita käsitellään (Handling the Undead) - 2.5/5
2. Marko Hautala - Kuokkamummo (The Black Tongue) - 3/5
3. Antto Terras - Viro (Sensuroimaton) - 2/5
4. Samantha Harvey - The Western Wind - 3.5/5
5. Mauri Karvonen - Aavetaloja ja ihmiskohtaloita — Hyytävää historiaa Napapiiriltä Suomenlahdelle - 2/5
6. Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen - Kuurupiilon Anatomia (An Anatomy of Hide-and-Seek) - 3.5/5
7. Cormac McCarthy - Stella Maris - 2.5/5
8. Stanislaw Lem - Solaris - 3.75/5
9. Emmi Itäranta - Teemestarin Kirja (Memory Of Water) - 2.75/5
10. Iida Turpeinen - Elolliset (Beasts of the Sea) - 5/5 - Excellent, excellent book. Should be coming out in english sometime in 2025
11. Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen - Taivaalta Pudonnut Eläintarha - 2/5
12. Jim Cobb - The Urban Prepper's Guide: How to Become Self-Sufficient and Prepared for the Next Crisis - 3.5/5
13. Andrew Michael Hurley - Nälkänummi (Starve Acre) - 2.25/5
14. Thomas Engström & Margit Richert - Nattavaara - 3/5
15. Susanna Hast - Ruumis/Huoneet - 4/5
16. Ruth Ware - Lumimyrsky (One By One) - 4/5
17. Cristoph Ransmayr - Jään Ja Pimeyden Kauhut (The Terrors of Ice and Darkness) - 4/5
18. Numerous - Marple: Twelve New Mysteries - 2.25/5
19. Jennifer Egan - Aika Suuri Hämäys (A Visit From The Goon Squad) - 3/5

Wildcard suggestions welcome!

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I haven't read in any real capacity (unless you coung RPG manuals, which you really shouldn't) in years, especially after uni. I would love to get back into it again.

I'm assuming that it's against the spirit of the Booklord 2024 challenge to reread old books?

I'm new to this, but I don't see why it should be. Reading is reading, it does the mind good.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Time to update my list. Last post was March 17. Pace has been pretty steady since then, though in the last few weeks I've hit a bit of a bad patch with not finishing books and having to keep a number going at the same time. Looks like I'm over the worst of it now.

20. Marko Hautala - Kaikki Mitä Tahdot - 3.75/5
21. Jussi Hyvärinen - Olduvain Rotko - 4/5 (Booklord book of poetry)
22. China Mieville - Toiset (The City And The City) - 3.75/5
23. Tuomas Niskakangas - Roihu - 2.75/5
24. Yukito Ayatsuji - The Decagon House Murders - 3.5/5
25. Kati Routa - Vihanpitäjät - 2.5/5
26. Thomas Engström & Margit Richert - Armasjärvi - 2.75/5
27. Mia Couto - Plumeriaveranta (Under The Frangipani) - 3/5
28. Aapo Kukko - Puhumalla Paras - 3.5/5 (Booklord graphical novel)
29. Riitta Salke - Silverstar: Unelmien Siipiväli - 2.25/5

Still looking for wildcard suggestions! At least I don't think I've received any!

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Hari Hunzru, My Revolutions

Was not available in my local library system (in finnish or english), but it sounds cool so I'll see what I can sort out.