Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Name: Gertrude Perkins
Personal Challenge: 52 books
Booklord 2024? YES

Heeeeeeeeeeeere we go again!!!! I no longer have the hell-commute I had last year so who knows what my reading habits will be like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

DurianGray posted:

Name: DurianGray
Challenge: 52 books, re-read Moby Dick and House of Leaves
Boolord: Yup!

Finally posting my own! I keep meaning to re-read some stuff I've loved so I'm going to go ahead and make it part of my personal challenge.

Who Booklords the Booklord??!!?!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

DurianGray posted:

Not me apparently since I accidentally wrote "Boolord" lol

So you'll be reading nothing but horror books, got it

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

This month has included a lot of manga-binge-reading and I'm okay with that. I read five novels this month, along with a short story, two comic series, and a lot of manga, for a total of twenty-six finished titles in January.

1 - Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi. Three hundred years of a Ghanaian family split in half by the slave trade. Each character has their own chapter, which Gyasi uses well to give historical and cultural snapshots. This has the result of each character having their own short story, with most of these being engrossing and satisfying and often very distressing. Gyasi is very interested in the lived experiences of enslaved people and the horrors of that legacy, and racism and identity struggles are woven through every one of the protagonists. Some of it's hard going because of this, but it really works. It left me wanting more, but in a good way.

2 - Great, by Ryan Armand. A long and not very satisfying comic. Shaggy-dog story about a man plagued by terrible luck and bad decisions who perseveres through sheer willpower, and manages to find...contentment? success? through his ability to beat people up with a barstool. There are some Tampopo-style ramen restaurant threads that spiral into huge corporate dealings and a whole arc about living on the streets as a determination guru. It's weird, frustrating, and doesn't come together very well for me except in a handful of places. The art is sketchy and not particularly good but Armand is very good at capturing the passage of time. The core relationships are complicated and bittersweet and there are some really nice moments, but they're hard to find among the directionless trudge of the full comic.

3 - As Yet Unsent, by Tamsyn Muir. Short story filling in some plot and worlbuilding details as connective tissue between the first three Locked Tomb novels. And drat it's good. Achingly romantic and messy as well as slotting in some much-needed jigsaw pieces of plot and context. I was not expecting a story from Judith's perspective, and I liked it, it reads very differently to the narrative voices in Muir's previous books. Deep melancholy and a difficult relationship between captives and converts. Very "yuri". Good stuff.

4-12 - Inside Mari, vol. 1-9, by Shūzō Oshimi. Strange psychosexual melodrama about a horrible creep of a hikikomori who wakes up inside the body of the girl he's beeen stalking. With the help of one of the girl's classmates (who is also a weird creep, it turns out) and a host of childhood and gender baggage, the mystery of what happened to "the real Mari" often takes a back seat to the interpersonal drama of the characters, and it mostly works. There are a couple of truly dreadful sex scenes which highlight the awfulness of the whole thing, and it sometimes felt like Oshimi was pulling the ol' switcheroo, baiting readers in with gender-swap titillation before making everything really uncomfortable and grim to push the story and vibes in his own direction. I'm sure there are a lot of trans readings of this story, for obvious reasons. It's better than I expected it to be, but it's a bumpy ride.

13 - The First Men in the Moon, by H. G. Wells. One I knew very little about, but I found quite charming, if not great. The story of two men unprepared for the travails of lunar exploration ends up being much more of a survival drama than I expected, and then the last sections are full sci-fi enjoyment. Sure, there's a lot that we can look back on and scoff about - air on the moon? An ant-like race of Selenites? - but it holds together rather well, and even got a couple of laughs out of me. Great ending, too.

14 - Tempus Fugitive, by Ken Steacey. A rollicking boys-own-adventure story, with lovingly airbrushed fighter jets and a handsome lantern-jawed hero escaping from the future into the recent past. Steacey puts a huge amount of love into his depictions of flight, from dogfights to the graceful streaking of contrails behind experimental planes and futuristic ships. The story is extremely thin and serves as an excuse for our protagonist to zip from era to era and fly cool planes and look cool while doing it. There are moments of drama and occasional discussions of philosophy, but everything keeps moving and characters disappear and disappear at a rapid clip, so none of it sticks. The ending is as rushed as the rest of the comic, but I didn't have a bad time. If I'd read this as a preteen I would have loved it, I'm sure.

15 - Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, by Robert C. O'Brien. I love the film, even though I didn't see it until recently. The novel has always been in my periphery so I thought I should finally check it out. And you know what, it's really lovely. A small story about rodents that has a great scope and sense of adventure. I really enjoyed the time I spent in this world, and O'Brien's narrative voice is cosy while still preserving a sense of danger and worry. Really good!

16 - Mammoth, by Chris Flynn. I wrote a full review of this over in the Book Club thread, but to summarise: very frustrating, disappointing, despite some parts being really engrossing.

17-26 - Dorohedoro, vol. 8-16, by Q. Hayashida. Picked this up again and immediately got sucked into Hayashida's grimy, gore-soaked and goofy world. Sorcerors, black marketeers, bags of smoke, betrayal, corruption, transformation, ghosts, time travel, bloody brawls, gyoza, gyoza, devils, gyoza, mushrooms. The artwork is what brought me into this in the first place, and it only gets better, and nastier. And the writing is good, too: for stories taking place in rotten industrial hovels and the slums of Hell itself, Hayashida manages to bring a sense of sweetness and levity when she wants. I will probably finish this series in the next month or so, it's just great.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. - 26/52
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men. - 11 - 1, 3, 17-26,
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color. - 19 - 1, 4-12, 17-26
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers. - 1* - 3
5. Read a work in translation - 4-12, 17-26
6. Read something that was nominated for an award - 1
7. Read something that is referenced in something else (a movie, a tv show, another book, etc.)
8. Read some poetry OR a play
9. Read something in the public domain - 13
10. Read something you think is probably overhyped
11. Read something illustrated (whether it's a few splash pages or a comic, do whatever you like here!) - 2, 4-12, 17-26
12. Read two works by different authors who have a matching name (initials, first, last, middle, whatever)
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024)

*Q. Hayashida is a huge recluse and Oshimi has written about a lot of gender feelings but isn't "out" in a way that's countable really, so.

THEMES...I will figure out later.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

RailtraceR30 posted:

Who here believes in WildCards?

Jackie Ess, Darryl

or for something less psychosexual: Sesshu Foster & Arturo Ernesto Romo, ELADATL

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

moana posted:

Somebody give me a wildcard book/author that is super gay, I don't know how many of my list are LGBTQ+ so I've got to figure that out but might as well get ahead.

Brontez Purnell, 100 Boyfriends. Doesn't get much gayer. Plus it's good

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Gertrude Perkins posted:

1 - Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi
2 - Great, by Ryan Armand
3 - As Yet Unsent, by Tamsyn Muir
4-12 - Inside Mari, vol. 1-9, by Shūzō Oshimi
13 - The First Men in the Moon, by H. G. Wells
14 - Tempus Fugitive, by Ken Steacey
15 - Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, by Robert C. O'Brien
16 - Mammoth, by Chris Flynn
17-26 - Dorohedoro, vol. 8-16, by Q. Hayashida.

So I missed last month's update. In February and March, with the help of binge-reading some comics, I finished twenty-six books...

27-33 - Dorohedoro, vol. 17-23, by Q. Hayashida. It's finally over. A fantastic, preposterous ending, where everything finally FINALLY came together. I love Caiman, I love Nikaido, I love Shin and Noi, I even came around to tolerating En. At the final hour Hayashida still takes delight in throwing ridiculous things into the mix, but it all somehow made sense, the whole chaotic overstuffed mess of it all. A huge, ambitious 18-year project that I am so glad I got to experience. The horrors are horrible, the comedy is genuinely funny, and the melodrama hits extra-hard without being undercut. Caiman and Nikaido's relationship returns to the fore in the final conflict, and there is so much catharsis. I love Dorohedoro!!!! Gyoza is life, life is gyoza.

34 - TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Ontological Anarchy, Poetic Terrorism, by Hakim Bey. Furious and beautiful and deeply capital-P Problematic, this collection of pamphlets and essays was a great introduction to Bey's most enduring writing. A sense of fun and excitement runs through his urgings of direct artistic action and culture-jamming through random acts of creativity and total rejection of societal norms, almost all of which are interesting and inspiring. Almost. The most frustrating part is Bey's consistent references to being a 'lover of boys', of the liberatory power of childhood sexuality. Whenever it comes up, and always in passing as a casual reference, it's jarring. Obviously there is a beautiful freedom of childhood where you haven't been ground down by the norms of society, and that can be something to aspire to reattain. But also how was a lifelong anarchist not cognisant of the immense power imbalance and exploitation inherent in NAMbLA bullshit? It's such a shame because so much of the rest of it is built on beautiful, vital dreams and visions of liberated ways of living. There is a lot to say about Bey's rejection of any kind of materialism, and the limits of the hyper-individualistic anarchism he espouses, and he seems not just aware of these contradictions but happy to embrace them in the name of being troublesome and causing artistic or philosophical mischief. I kept thinking about Alan Ginsberg while reading (sure enough he's quoted on the back cover): emotional and blistering writing sabotaged by the writer's inescapable sketchiness.

35 - 21st Century Yokel, by Tom Cox. Part nature writing, part memoir, Cox's writing is full of pleasant anecdotes, gentle humour and a deep appreciation for place. So much of the book is about walking getting lost and discovering new things that aren't marked on maps or mentioned in travel guides, and so much of it is about his family, that even when angry or melancholic, there is still a sense of closeness and cosiness. The stand-out character is, of course, Cox's father, an enigmatic and bellowing comic figure to whom I grew quite attached - there is a section about his own childhood that features ripping-yarn capers that was particularly fun.
Cox is also very conscious of his circumstances in life - I've seen some critics describe this as a "middle aged" or "mid-life" book, and there are worries about aging and family heritage throughout the book. There are hints at crisis - whatever happened to uproot his life and drive him to move into a solitary life beside Dartmoor is left unspoken, but it hangs in the background as a sadness that sometimes peeks through. His role as a human and his relationship with non-human animals comes up a lot, too, with a wonderful animal cast included in the storytelling, especially his cats. I enjoyed this a lot, and I will track down more of his books.

36 - The Black God's Drums, by P. Djèlí Clark. Alt-history/steampunk novella set in late-19th-Century New Orleans. A world where Haitian super-science allowed them to gain full independence from Napoleonic France, the American Civil War ended in a truce and an independent slave-owning nation that keeps the enslaved drugged into compliance. There are a lot of interesting details woven through the narrative, which is mostly about a scrappy teenager with Oya in her head going on a cool airship adventure. It's fun! It's short but I could imagine many more stories in this setting.

37 - Mr. Burns, A Post-Electric Play, by Anne Washburn. drat, what a piece of work. Set immediately post-apocalypse, a group of characters try to remember a Simpsons episode while the world crumbles around them. And then seven years later, a travelling theatre group puts on a show with what remains of Simpsons scripts. And then seventy-five years later... Washburn put a lot of thought and care into exploring what roles media and memory play in society, how pop culture may survive and change when extrapolated past the society that made it. I would love to see a live production of this sometime!

38 - Hogg, by Samuel R. Delany. loving hell, this one was rough. A nonstop assault of sex, violence, abuse, rape, child abuse, and abysmal lack of bodily hygeine. There are beautiful turns of phrase peppered throughout, like panning for gold in a sewer. Not for the faint of heart, or for anyone, really.

39 - Cage!, by Genndy Tartakovsky & Stephen DeStefano. One of my favourite animators paying homage to the over-the-top action and wild characters of 70s Marvel? I was sold as soon as I heard about this book. And the result is pretty drat cool, action-packed, and silly. Tartakovsky's style shines through on the page, with dynamic action and exaggerated character motion matching his angular, thick-lined style. The jokes are funny and the cast are fun, though it's mostly Luke Cage himself going on a medium-sized adventure that culminates in a big tournament that he (naturally) dominates. A celebration of the character that clearly had a lot of love poured into it. And then the volume concludes with Cage's original introduction comic, which is so much more grounded and heavy than the preceding issues that the whiplash is palpable. It kind of illustrates that the character is more than just action-packed wisecracks, that Cage was conceived to appeal to blaxploitation audiences and tackle the same kind of issues and themes. It's an odd choice to put these in the same volume.

40 - Pink, by Gus Van Sant. Middle-aged gay infomercial (sorry, 'filmmercial') director mourning the loss of his boyfriend-collaborator meets a young filmmaker who looks exactly like him. This is a book of loss and disconnection: generational divides, the in- versus the out-crowd in pop culture and fame. There's also a supernatural element that gets slowly introduced. The perspective switches between our hero Spunky and the last days of a depressive megastar musician who's addicted to buying construction equipment. Despite moments of comedy this is a sad novel, and Spunky's attempts to (re)kindle relationships are tragic and relatable. I saw a couple of places saying this was about Van Sant's grief over the death of River Phoenix, and I can definitely see that. There are also passages in the book that are taken from Spunky's work-in-progress screenplay, a bizarre sci-fi epic full of sexual excess and other odd fixations. I hope somehow Van Sant can turn that into a film. Oh, and also there's a flip-book in the corner! This is far from a great book, but I enjoyed the time I spent with it, and it evoked more feelings in me than I expected.

41 - The Free-Lance Pallbearers, by Ishmael Reed. Short and immensely funny satirical novel set in a parodic 60s New York, under the thumb of a malodorous dictator who rules from a gilded commode in Howard Hughes-style isolation. The protagonist stumbles from mishap to misadventure, losing his lover, his job, and his dignity as he's pulled seemingly accidentally into a resistance movement. It's full of hip 60s slang and all-caps shouting, with a cast of oddballs and hypocrites that lampoon everyone from radical artists to patriarchs. The ending is a little messy, and our hero(?) is both a put-upon everyman and a gullible nitwit depending on the scene. That (plus some casual women-be-crazy sexism thrown in to remind you this is indeed from the 60s) makes it a little less fun, but overall it's a good time and sometimes genuinely hilarious.

42 - The Complete Angel Catbird, by Margaret Atwood, Johnnie Christmas & Tamra Bonvillain. Margaret Atwood, literary superstar, turns her hand to writing a superhero comic! I'd never heard of this before, and it turns out there's a good reason: it absolutely sucks. Three hundred pages of awkward exposition, overwritten dialogue, and an endless machine-gun barrage of bad jokes. Angel Catbird is based on a character Atwood daydreamed as a young child (we even get to see some of her original six-year-old-Margaret art of some winged cats). So for this project she set herself the task of bringing this childhood fixation into the 2010s, and transforming an adorable flight of fancy into a spunky, handsome hero for herself and all the other 78-year-old cat ladies out there.
Despite its relentless crappiness, I am happy I read this, as it is a good reminder that even the greatest creative minds can produce absolute stinkers, especially when given carte blanche. I feel bad for Christmas and Bonvillain, who did their best with a big pile of bad ideas. A dreadful, tedious, unfunny vanity project produced by a great writer whose brain must have been riddled with toxoplasmosis.

43 - Noor, by Nnedi Okorafor. Cyberpunk story about a heavily-augmented woman fleeing from deaedly prejudice into the desert storms of north Nigeria. There are a lot of cool ideas and some really nice set pieces, especially a city hidden within a sandstorm. The story is let down by clunky exposition-dumps in the first half, but it comes together into a solid and earnest near-future SF story. Evil megacorporation shenanigans, the clashes of scientific progress with tradition and superstition, and Cool Technology.

44 - I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!: And Other Things that Strike Me as Funny, by Bob Newhart. This was a surprise little-free-library find and I really liked it. The whole thing reads perfectly as Newhart's voice, and it's full of jokes, observations and even entire classic comedy routines. I laughed out loud a few times which reading this, and there are some great little stories, and it's completely unpretentious and affable. A little kids-these-days crankiness doesn't detract from how pleasant my experience with this book was overall. Thanks Bob!

45 - The Doors of Perception / Heaven And Hell, by Aldous Huxley. Revisiting this after more than a decade, this is still a really interesting and earnest exploration of psychedelics and spirituality. Huxley's perspective as a scientifically- and philosophically-minded man make this more accessible than I remembered, and the advocation of tolerance and empathy are pleasant. I can see why this was such an important text for psychonauts of the 20th Century, of course. It's neat!

46-51 - Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam, vol. 1-6, by Yoshiyuki Tomino & Yuuichi Hasegawa. It's a Gundam! I've watched a lot of Gundams, but never read any - and this was pretty dang good. A sequel to the F91 film, this is about space pirates with mobile suits, which is already an excellently cool idea. And the execution is really solid, with a few caveats. Unfortunately this does have some unnecessary nude scenes and some unnecessarily long exposition, which are thankfully few in number but still offputting. For the most part though this is a fine piece of Gundam storytelling, exploring a lot of the themes you might expect, and with an even more over-the-top villain than usual. The art style is kind of a Tezuka-esque throwback, and there's a weird juxtaposition between the cute, toyetic humans and the gloriously detailed tech. Mobile suits, spaceships, colonies, weird gadgets, all rendered in loving excitement which makes the action scenes really hit. High octane, high stakes, and a fun cast.

52 - Rainbear!!!!!!!!!, by Never Evangeline North. Bizarre dreamlike novella vaguely infused with Jewish mysticism and a warped fairytale-parable. I think it's about regressing for comfort/coping after escaping a traumatic status quo. But also it's about a grand adventure and a magical colour mountain, and different visions of intimacy and vulnerability. This feels like a confessional story refracted through a hundred prisms made of primary school art supplies. There's also a penis fountain in it? I think it tells a story of travelling through absurd hardship to find yourself irrevocably changed (matured? purified?) on the other side. I liked it well enough.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. - 52/52
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men. - 22 - 1, 3, 17-33, 37, 42, 43, 52
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color. - 36 - 1, 4-12, 17-33, 36, 38, 41, 43, 46-51
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers. - 5 - 3, 34, 38, 40, 52

5. Read a work in translation - 4-12, 17-33, 46-51
6. Read something that was nominated for an award - 1, 36, 37, 43
7. Read something that is referenced in something else (a movie, a tv show, another book, etc.) -
8. Read some poetry OR a play - 37
9. Read something in the public domain - 13, 34
11. Read something illustrated (whether it's a few splash pages or a comic, do whatever you like here!) - 2, 4-12, 17-33, 39, 42, 46-51, 52
12. Read two works by different authors who have a matching name (initials, first, last, middle, whatever)
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024)

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Heavy Metal posted:

I've been meaning to read Gundam Crossbone forever, cool that you read it and dug it. Tomino, whatta legend.

As far as I understand, Tomino only gave story beats and general concepts, while Hasegawa did the actual writing/art. Which means I can choose to blame the stuff I didn't like (weird teenage-girl nudes) on Hasegawa.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I might read the sequels? I was totally satisfied with where Crossbone finished up though. But it's Gundam, so there are always more stories.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

moana posted:

Just finished this one, and agreed - gayest book I've ever read! Also some great writing. Kinda like a Tales of the City cranked up to eleven in every direction.

I've never read any Maupin but I'm glad you enjoyed! Purnell is a hell of a writer.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

UltraShame posted:

Can I get some more Gay Book recommendations? It's a major blind spot in my normal perusing of stuff to read. If it helps, I like Sci Fi, Fantasy, and historical nonfiction works. Thank you!

Queer SFF authors to check out that I've enjoyed, vaguely listed from most to least accessible:
Sarah Gailey
Becky Chambers
Rivers Solomon
Charlie Jane Anders
Tamsyn Muir
And of course Samuel R. Delany

...but there are loads more of course.

For a formal Wildcard, check out Riley Black, The Last Days of the Dinosaurs.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Gertrude Perkins posted:

1 - Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi
2 - Great, by Ryan Armand
3 - As Yet Unsent, by Tamsyn Muir
4-12 - Inside Mari, vol. 1-9, by Shūzō Oshimi
13 - The First Men in the Moon, by H. G. Wells
14 - Tempus Fugitive, by Ken Steacey
15 - Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, by Robert C. O'Brien
16 - Mammoth, by Chris Flynn
17-33 - Dorohedoro, vol. 8-23, by Q. Hayashida
34 - TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Ontological Anarchy, Poetic Terrorism, by Hakim Bey
35 - 21st Century Yokel, by Tom Cox
36 - The Black God's Drums, by P. Djèlí Clark
37 - Mr. Burns, A Post-Electric Play, by Anne Washburn
38 - Hogg, by Samuel R. Delany
39 - Cage!, by Genndy Tartakovsky & Stephen DeStefano
40 - Pink, by Gus Van Sant
41 - The Free-Lance Pallbearers, by Ishmael Reed
42 - The Complete Angel Catbird, by Margaret Atwood, Johnnie Christmas & Tamra Bonvillain
43 - Noor, by Nnedi Okorafor
44 - I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!: And Other Things that Strike Me as Funny, by Bob Newhart
45 - The Doors of Perception / Heaven And Hell, by Aldous Huxley
46-51 - Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam, vol. 1-6, by Yoshiyuki Tomino & Yuuichi Hasegawa
52 - Rainbear!!!!!!!!!, by Never Evangeline North

I finished nine books in April. The comic binge continues, with some proper Books sprinkled in there for good measure.

53 - Alone In Space: A Collection, by Tillie Walden. A collection of comics, including an anthology of her earliest work as a student. The three main pieces included here are really very beautiful and deeply sad, especially the small-town gay romance I Love This Part. Walden's writing is sparse but honest, and she's very good at grand vistas and yawning open spaces. The halls of the enormous palace in The End Of Summer dwarf the small, doomed members of the noble family; the sweeping landscapes and cityscapes in I Love This Part are dominated by the young giantesses in love. The third longform comic, A City Inside, didn't hit as hard for me, but is still a really nice and thoughtful story of growth and possibility. These are good! Walden is good!

54 - I Am A Cat, by Sōseki Natsume (trans. by Graeme WIlson & Aiko Ito). One of the most famous works of Meiji-era Japanese literature, a social satire told from the perspective of an anonymous housecat. I was expecting more cat shenanigans and fewer long rambling digressions on social mores, and some of it was a real slog because of this. When it's good, it's very good, funny and sweet and interesting - there's a lot about the tensions between Japanese tradition, modern Western influence, and ideas of imported Western history. There are some fun characters too, even though half the time they seem to be mouthpieces for whichever idiosyncracies or boorish opinions the author wants to explore. The scenes where the cat gets to do cat-things are very sweet, well-observed and charming. I know I'm missing out a lot of the humour and satirical value, and some of the longer conversations are quite entertaining, but this book tried my patience a lot. Maybe I'll revisit it when I'm older and wiser.

55 - Thieves, by Lucie Bryon. A sweet and cosy coming-of-age love story about two teenage girls with a stealing problem. Bryon's art is really lovely, a blend of cuteness and detail that really add to the tone. The story is simple but gives the characters some room to breathe, and the central couple are very cute to follow. Cute describes basically everything in this book!

56 - Thunder 3, vol. 1, by Yuki Ikeda. A toony slice-of-life manga where a portal opens up into a gritty, photorealistic science fiction world. The cartoon kids who go through the portal have cartoon-physics superpowers on the other side. Giant aliens, enormous firepower, and an indestructible preschooler. It's an interesting setup, and I'm interested to see what the creator does with the premise, though the actual story and stakes aren't grabbing me much at this early stage.

57-9 - Bakune Young, vol. 1-3, by Toyokazu Matsunaga (trans. by Yuji Oniki). An ultraviolent and ridiculous caper where the titular thug, a giant with dreams of world domination, starts an explosive campaign against the yakuza that culminates in an extended siege at Osaka Castle...and then, the threat of nuclear war. It's spectacularly ugly, has only one female character, and the start is the closest thing to a Postal game I've read in manga. The action is superb, grisly and dynamic, the art is still unpleasant to look at, and the comedy is at its worst and best depending on the scene. I've already recommended this series to about half a dozen people.

60 - You Made A Fool Of Death With Your Beauty, by Akwaeke Emezi. A messy, torrid romance novel that I liked quite a lot. A young artst still not over the untimely death of her husband suddenly becomes embroiled in a scandalous and forbidden romance with an older man, a famous widower with his own secrets...after meeting him while dating his son. The book and the characters agonise about what a bad idea it is, but the two are drawn inexorably to each other, romantically and sexually, in ways that feel authentically complicated. The exploration of grief, of sexuality, feels earnest and is written quite beautifully. The story does get a little trite towards the end, unfortunately, with the main opponent to the relationship going full arsehole. But then, sometimes guys are like that, so. It felt at the same time a bit too neat and also very messy, and the ending was still emotionally satisfying. No happy-ever-after, but this was never going to be that kind of book.

61 - An Immense World: How Animal Senses Reveal the Hidden Realms Around Us, by Ed Yong. A fascinating, engrossing book about the Umwelten, or "sense-worlds", of different animal species, including humans. Yong interviews all sorts of biologists, zoologists and other researchers, and meets animals as diverse as mantis shrimp, star-nosed moles and harbour seals. There are some mind-blowing facts, interesting stories, and a running theme of the world being so much more than humans can perceive. But throughout the book there is a focus on empathy, understanding that there are limits to our understanding, and that it is still worth exploring the edges of scientific knowledge to appreciate non-human animals. There is, of course, the customary final "here's how humanity has been ravaging the natural world, we are doomed to lose everything unless we act" chapter. Which leaves things on a very sad note, even if it is necessary. The rest of this book is really wonderful, strange, and sometimes quite funny. Yong's endless curiosity really grabbed me, and he writes about complex topics like optics in ways that still really engaged me. Have already lent this book out and will be recommending it to others enthusiastically.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. - 61/52
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men. - 25 - 1, 3, 17-33, 37, 42, 43, 52, 53, 55, 60
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color. - 43 - 1, 4-12, 17-33, 36, 38, 41, 43, 46-51, 54, 56, 57-9, 60, 61
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers. - 8 - 3, 34, 38, 40, 52, 53, 55, 60

5. Read a work in translation - 4-12, 17-33, 46-51, 54, 56, 57-9
6. Read something that was nominated for an award - 1, 36, 37, 43, 54, 55, 60, 61
7. Read something that is referenced in something else (a movie, a tv show, another book, etc.) -
8. Read some poetry OR a play - 37
9. Read something in the public domain - 13, 34, 54
11. Read something illustrated (whether it's a few splash pages or a comic, do whatever you like here!) - 2, 4-12, 17-33, 39, 42, 46-51, 52, 53, 55, 56, 57-9
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024) - 36, 45-51, 54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Still looking for wildcard suggestions! At least I don't think I've received any!

Hari Kunzru, My Revolutions

edit: typo

Gertrude Perkins fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 6, 2024