Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Name: freelop
Personal Challenge: 12
Booklord 2024? Yes

Only 12 this year as I want to hit some of the larger books on the shelf. I've already started The Stormlight Archive and on reading as much of it as possible this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Whoops I keep forgetting to put this in despite only reading one book last month. I'm going to get my Wildcard request in early!

1. Tiffany Aching's Guide to Being a Witch by Rhianna Pratchett & Gabrielle Kent, Illustrated by Paul Kidby - The Pratchett thread summarised this book pretty well when it came out, it's a fun little read which doesn't add anything new but serves well as a little highlight reel. The quips in the margins that have been added in by other witches are good fun.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge: 1/12
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men: 1/3
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color: 0/3
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers:

5. Read a work in translation
6. Read something that was nominated for an award
7. Read something that is referenced in something else (a movie, a tv show, another book, etc.)
8. Read some poetry OR a play
9. Read something in the public domain
10. Read something you think is probably overhyped
11. Read something illustrated (whether it's a few splash pages or a comic, do whatever you like here!): Tiffany Aching's Guide to Being a Witch
12. Read two works by different authors who have a matching name (initials, first, last, middle, whatever)
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Finished a fair number of books in Feb. I've started the Stormlight Archive series which should keep me going a while

2. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson - Stormlight Archive book 1 is off to a flying start following the exploits of several characters (mostly dealing with soldier turned slave Kaladin) as hints of an apocalypse approach

3. The Assgoblins of Auschwitz by Cameron Pierce - No it's not that Auschwitz, it's an alien plant that happens to have that name run by Nazis who are aliens with a giant rear end instead of a torso and do horrific experiments on another alien race.

4. Words of Radiance: Part One by Brandon Sanderson - The story continues, we get a look into Shallan's backstory. These books are flying by

5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Legendary Edition by Akira Himekawa - Based loosely on the game this is a fun trip through the story with a few extra bits added in. It made sense to make Link talk but it was strange to read

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge: 5/12
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men: 1/3
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color: 1/3
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers:

5. Read a work in translation: Legend of Zelda: OoT (Complete)
6. Read something that was nominated for an award
7. Read something that is referenced in something else (a movie, a tv show, another book, etc.)
11. Read something illustrated (whether it's a few splash pages or a comic, do whatever you like here!): Tiffany Aching's Guide to Being a Witch
12. Read two works by different authors who have a matching name (initials, first, last, middle, whatever)
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

3 books completed in March. I'm getting through more than anticipted.

6. Words of Radiance: Part Two by Brandon Sanderson - Continuing directly on from part one, the plot is really going now and I'm totally sucked in.

7. Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan - Ladylop had read this and recommended it as the author was attending a convention. It was a fun children's book. Darren Shan was a nice guy to chat with as well

8. The Fall of the Towers by Samuel R. Delany - Technically 3 books spanning an upheavel in a distand post-post apocalyptical Earth (or specifically the last known functioning city within an area of the Earth that is still inhabitable.

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge: 8/12
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color: 2/3
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers: 1/1

5. Read a work in translation: Legend of Zelda: OoT (Complete)
6. Read something that was nominated for an award: The Way of Kings (Complete)
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard - Going to pick up Don't Call Us Dead, by Danez Smith as suggested by moana
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024): The Way of Kings (Complete)