Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Somebody give me a wildcard book/author that is super gay, I don't know how many of my list are LGBTQ+ so I've got to figure that out but might as well get ahead.

Name: moana
Personal Challenge: 120 books
Booklord 2024? Sure

I keep a running list in my diary, so here's what I've got so far:
1. In Search for Deeper Learning by Jal Mehta and Sarah Fine
2. Change is the Only Constant by Ben Orlin
3. After the Education Wars by Andrea Gabor
4. What's Math Got to Do With It? by Jo Boaler
5. Once Upon a Prime by Sarah Hart
6. The Future by Naomi Alderman
7. The Mathematical Instinct by Keith Devlin
8. Math Without Numbers by Milo Beckman
9. Absolution by Alice McDermott
10. Eat the Rich by Sarah Gailey
11. Homegrown by Ben Hewitt
12. Number Theory: An Introduction by Benjamin Fine and Gerhard Rosenberger
13. The Pole by JM Coetzee
14. Whalefall by Daniel Kraus
15. There, There by Tommy Orange
16. Beyond Freedom by John Holt
17. Unschooling Rules by Clark Aldrich
18. Growing Up in Public by Devorah Heitner
19. The Schoolhouse
20. Young Children Continue to Reinvent Arithmetic (book 3 of series for 3rd graders) by Constance Kamii
21. Dune by Frank Herbert
22. Young Children Reinvent Arithmetic (book 1 of series, 1st graders) by Constance Kamii
23. Is Math Real? by Eugenia Cheng
24. The Tusks of Extinction by Ray Nayler
25. Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar
26. The Schools Our Children Deserve by Alfie Kohn
27. The Last Language by Jennifer DuBois
28. Creative Schools by Ken Robinson
29. Emma by Jane Austen
30. Young Children Reinvent Arithmetic (book 2 of series, 2nd graders) by Constance Kamii

2024 BOOKLORD CHALLENGE PROMPTS

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge. Set at 120
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men. So far 14/30
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color. So far 7/30
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers. So far ?/30
5. Read a work in translation
6. Read something that was nominated for an award There, There was up for the Pulitzer
7. Read something that is referenced in something else (a movie, a tv show, another book, etc.) Dune
8. Read some poetry OR a play
9. Read something in the public domain Young Children Continue to Reinvent Arithmetic
10. Read something you think is probably overhyped Creative Schools by Ken Robinson, it was weak sauce compared to his TED talk and the first book he wrote
11. Read something illustrated (whether it's a few splash pages or a comic, do whatever you like here!) Change is the Only Constant by Ben Orlin has some fantastic math illustrations
12. Read two works by different authors who have a matching name (initials, first, last, middle, whatever) So far I have three Sarahs on there.
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024) The Tusks of Extinction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

freelop posted:

1. Set a goal for number of books or another personal challenge: 5/12
2. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 25% of them are not written by men: 1/3
3. Of the books you read this year, make sure a least 25% of them are written by writers of color: 1/3
4. Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 8% of them are written by LGBTQ writers:
6. Read something that was nominated for an award
8. Read some poetry OR a play
13. Ask the thread for a Wildcard
14. Read something with exactly four (4) words in the title (since it's 2024)
Here's one to tick off all these boxes: Don't Call Us Dead, by Danez Smith. It was one of my favorite books I read last year. Queer black nonbinary award winning poet, they are freaking amazing. Read with a box of tissues handy. Here's a taste, listen to them read their poem C.R.E.A.M. :https://poets.org/poem/cream

moana fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 23, 2024

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Brontez Purnell, 100 Boyfriends. Doesn't get much gayer. Plus it's good
Requested from the library, thanks!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Brontez Purnell, 100 Boyfriends. Doesn't get much gayer. Plus it's good
Just finished this one, and agreed - gayest book I've ever read! Also some great writing. Kinda like a Tales of the City cranked up to eleven in every direction.