Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Thank you for blessing the thread with Willem Dafoe's john holmes sized anaconda

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

2009 interview with Lars von Trier about Antichrist posted:

Willem Dafoe — and I think you've mentioned this before — plays probably the worst therapist in the history of movies.
First of all, I have been undergoing this cognitive therapy for three years, and I tend to get sarcastic about it. One of the main ideas behind the treatment is that a fear is a thought, and a thought doesn’t change reality. But you can say in the film that it’s changed reality. As for Dafoe, I wouldn’t let him treat her in any other way than with his dick; he has an enormous dick. We had to take those scenes out of the film. We had a stand-in for him because we had to take the scenes out with his own dick.

You had a stand-in dick for Dafoe?
We had to, because Will’s was too big.

Too big to fit on the screen?
No, too big because everybody got very confused when they saw it.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
if you disliked this movie you're probably dumb tbh

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Was originally going to post that interview, and then remembered he did enough weird theater poo poo in the 80's that surely footage existed. And alas, it does. And it's perfect.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Coming to Hulu on Thursday.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sarah Cenia posted:

i didnt like it very much other than i have a soft spot for movies that are at least trying to do something different

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sarah Cenia posted:

it’s steampunk for horny art house people

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it’s steampunk for horny art house people

Yeah it rocks

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It’s a solid 3 outta 5 but it’s my least favorite thing Lanthimos has done since Alps. Emma Stone salvages it, I feel like she understood the material better than he did.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like she understood the material better than he did.

That seems difficult to imagine since Yorgos met Alisdair Grey to discuss it, developed it over a decade, and worked with Tony McNamara on the vision for the screenplay.

But it's very different from the book in interesting ways, so I guess it depends how you interpret "the material".

Either way, I like it a lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oh I haven't read the novel, I just meant she understood what was interesting about the scenario and the film itself better than Yorgos did.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I liked it but can someone explain why 60% of the movie is Bella having sex? What's the message there?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
watched this tonight

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kefa posted:

I liked it but can someone explain why 60% of the movie is Bella having sex? What's the message there?

Having sex is a natural thing and an easy source of enjoyment that a person curious about the world would gravitate to.
Also explicit scenes contrast nicely with the oldtimey bildungsroman/european adventure novel aesthetics.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kefa posted:

Patriarchal societies are weird as gently caress about sexuality

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kefa posted:

I just covered my husband's eyes during those parts to preserve his innocence, what's the big deal?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's part of Bella starting with a blank slate. She discovers furious jumping is a thing that she enjoys and others enjoy and so does it often, but she discovers there is shame over it which she has trouble puzzling out, and that people use it to manipulate and exploit, and she's not sure it should be that way. But she still likes it so she still seeks ways to have it without the manipulation and exploitation.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

fatherboxx posted:

Having sex is a natural thing and an easy source of enjoyment that a person curious about the world would gravitate to.
Also explicit scenes contrast nicely with the oldtimey bildungsroman/european adventure novel aesthetics.

Okay, that makes sense. I just felt it was a little too much.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It would have been too much in the hands of a worse filmmaker, but Lanthimos films it in such a detached style that it seems almost mechanical at times, like a rat pressing the heroin button. There's more passion in the dance scene than any of the sex.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

distortion park posted:

It would have been too much in the hands of a worse filmmaker, but Lanthimos films it in such a detached style that it seems almost mechanical at times, like a rat pressing the heroin button. There's more passion in the dance scene than any of the sex.

Furious jumping is right

Yeah, imagine, say, Luc Besson touching such material

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Furious jumping is right

Yeah, imagine, say, Luc Besson touching such material

Would be as irresponsible as giving an arsonist a tour of a weapons depot.
------------------

One thing I enjoyed was how Bella's dialogue changed - at first it's just funny how she uses words, but you gradually realise that she's smarter than she seemed at first glance and has just learned language weirdly, from books and people talking to her like an adult. It's a wonderful script

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

distortion park posted:

One thing I enjoyed was how Bella's dialogue changed - at first it's just funny how she uses words, but you gradually realise that she's smarter than she seemed at first glance and has just learned language weirdly, from books and people talking to her like an adult. It's a wonderful script

I think this is brought up in the movie early on, something about Bella learning so many new words a day? I agree, it's a really nice touch. At some point, either on the boat or in Paris, her speech is noticeably more eloquent than Ruffalo's, which by then has devolved into swearing and puerile bitterness.

I am still wondering what the significance is of having two slow, dramatic zooms into Bella's O-face. Some sort of bookends to her sexual awakening? I dunno, I might be overthinking it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I went by myself when I saw the movie and the cashier gave me a pretty funny look that I didn't understand. Pretty early into the 2nd act I fully understood what that look was about, and did think it's a pretty odd movie to watch by yourself in a mostly empty theater.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s not your fault the cinema was empty though?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

It’s not your fault the cinema was empty though?

We can't possibly know that

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

distortion park posted:

the trailer made me imagine a Burton film so the fact that it was so carefully navigated was honestly incredible.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Famethrowa posted:

the trailer made me imagine a Burton film so the fact that it was so carefully navigated was honestly incredible.

Ohhh, you're right..it does have a certain Burtonesque charm to it

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

distortion park posted:

It's really a key part of the movie - she has a limited vocab but she's not actually mentally a child. That's why she's in full command of her pronunciation. Same with her movements and dancing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
She's actually textually not in control of her movements for a long time. It's why her drawings and writings start so chicken scratchy even though her command of language and complex thought is far more mature.

It's explicitly stated that her gross motor skills will lag behind the other parts of her mental development. Her staggering and stomping around like a toddler is not because she learned to walk weird, it's because she's not good at moving her body yet.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I watched it tonight on Hulu and loved it. I wonder how many people go, "Oh, Emma Stone, I love her," and put it on and stop watching immediately. It really was disorienting getting dropped into that world and try to figure out just what the gently caress is going on while these chimera go about their business of being a pig-chicken. Knowing the director, I expected it to be weird, and expectations were met on that front. Really pretty film, too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just watched it on Hulu and liked it a lot. Lamthimos never fails to shock and surprise.

One mild disappointment though, I really thought Bella was going to put Godwin’s brain into Alfie’s body at the end

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 8, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Just watched it on Hulu and liked it a lot. Lamthimos never fails to shock and surprise.

One mild disappointment though, I really thought Bella was going to put Godwin’s brain into Alfie’s body at the end

Yeah it's a good fakeout, you're meant to think that but it would have been narratively satisfying. Even moreso if you've read the book

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I then thought she was going to put the dude's brain into the goat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah that’s how you get Black Phillip

My roommate pointed out that the color palate changes according to how people perceive color as they grow. Apparently newborns see in black and white? As she grows color is super saturated, and then becomes normal as she becomes a fully formed person

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I loving loved this movie. It was so loving funny, which I did not expect. I’ve read a lot of the criticism in this thread and it seems like some people wanted this story to follow real life logic, and it’s really more of a fairy tale. Bella matures as fast as she needs to in order to suit the narrative, and that’s fine! And the ending was great! No loving way did God deserve a happy ending. Yeah he had a sad backstory but he was still a loving monster

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just want to watch Bella say things for another few hours.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

stev posted:

I just want to watch Bella say things for another few hours.

You can read the book if you want more Bella dialogue (or watch interviews with Emma Stone if you'd just like to look at her, which is also understandable)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Absolutely loved this film. Probably my favorite of 2023 (though I watched very few films that premiered last year). Just resonated with it from the start. Emma Stone was wonderful but Mark Ruffalo nearly steals the show as the archetypical Victorian cad. God.

Fundamentally, I think what separates Bella from everyone is that she is someone who lives without a sense of shame. I think the film regards that as ultimately, a huge boon for her - and the conflict mostly revolves around how all the people around her (primarily, but not universally, men) can't integrate it that with the social mores of an exaggerated Victorian England. The question this opens up is: is shame necessary for human existence? (I think, probably, but not in this world, or at least the benefits far outweigh the costs)

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I think its more simply about womans autonomy because clearly men can do whatever they want without shame. Ruffalo indulges in every vice with impunity. Men can visit brothels but women who work at brothels are vilified. Then the General... well he's just a loving psycho. Its good that we also got some dudes like Godwin and Max to demonstrate men can also be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheMopeSquad posted:

I think its more simply about womans autonomy because clearly men can do whatever they want without shame. Ruffalo indulges in every vice with impunity. Men can visit brothels but women who work at brothels are vilified. Then the General... well he's just a loving psycho. Its good that we also got some dudes like Godwin and Max to demonstrate men can also be okay.
Are they, though? Because "marry a physical adult with a child's mind who can't consent and also you're involved with the scientific observation of her developmental progress" is pretty gross.

Also Godwin is a poo poo.