Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I loved it and Ruffalo. I find it Interesting how many people didn't like him in this role. I found it (I hate to say it) relatable at times.

The moment he walked into the bar on the ship and slammed his head against the bar was something I've certainly thought about in the past with some of my worst relationships. Admittedly I've never done it, but that's not the point. I've had people drive me insane and I can't be the only person here.

I just assumed that the character, like myself, was autistic and that was my take on it.

I love the film, I'd go as far to say it's one of the best films I've ever seen. I loved the way it was shot, the music, the character and above all else, Emma Stones acting and range in this was magnificent and easily the best role I've ever seen her in. I will certainly be watching this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

awesome-express posted:

I’m not trolling. The entire movie is weird and garbage.

I get the plot points about grooming, controlling and toxic male figures. I just don’t think her way of dealing with that is good and the script sets some bizarre examples. I also think it’s arty farty hollywood elite yas queen garbage.

But that’s like, just my opinion, man.

Just because something is "different" and you're not able to appreciate it, doesn't automatically make it bad. If you'd said "some of the way things are portrayed doesn't make sense to me, I don't like the was the film was shot for example and for that reason I don't like it" you get a much more receptive reply from people other than "lol it's different I don't get it so it's poo poo, I don't understand why Emma got her tatas out and that's the only thing I understand so that's how she got an award".

I really want to check your post history but I fear it's a rabbit hole I may never return from.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Ccs posted:

Were your screenings packed? The one I went to a few weeks after it was released was totally full, and this was on the night of a blizzard. People clapped at the end.

It was packed where we saw it in the UK, which surprised me as it was a mid day screening during the week!

The comments about it doing so well because of the actors are probably right, it's the whole reason I went to see it. But I loved the weird.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
oh I may have to watch that. I do love him. I recently showed my wife his role in Boondocks Saints and she loved it so much she keeps quoting him to me..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Famethrowa posted:

the trailer made me imagine a Burton film so the fact that it was so carefully navigated was honestly incredible.

Ohhh, you're right..it does have a certain Burtonesque charm to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
She can't be that young, mentally, because she understood the idea of running away, the idea of "furious jumping" etc. I'm not saying she was an adult and it was ok, because clearly she wasn't and it wasn't. However, I'd have put her cognitive ability around the mid teens mark at that point, 13-14. Her communication skills are clearly awful and also still developing but she still had a grasp of the world and many other things to some extent.

I think the whole point of the film is for discussions like this to take place.. the things that happened to her aren't ok.. but I do think a lot of people are taking things a touch too literally. It was explained she developed much faster etc.. it's an interesting quandary though, does time and actual experience trump metal ability and development? I suppose it comes to the specific topic it relates to.