Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Working my way though all the tabs i've built up

FREEDOMS The Gekokujo March 22nd
MOTYC
Masashi Takeda (c) vs Violento Jack - King of FREEDOM Title
- loving ruled, deathmatch wrestling done absolutely right, even if the board with metal forks sticking out got me wincing more than once
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252881?t=1h22m30s

BAKA Gaijin + Friends Vol.13 April 9th
MOTYC
Chris Brookes vs Miyuki Takase
- I love that these shows are largely light and breezy and then every so often Chris decides to have an war on 6 square feet of mats on the floor of a bar, a fantastic display of non traditional wrestling
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252889?t=1h10m05s

Sendai Girls January 7th
MOTYC
Chihiro Hashimoto and Mika Iwata vs Sareee and Mio Momono
- Four of the best womens wrestlers in the world, of course this was going to rule
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8HG1S1gKDA

BJW March 30th
MOTYC
Yuya Aoki (c) vs Takuya Nomura - BJW Strong Title
- Knew I was going to enjoy this, Aoki's title run has been really strong and Nomura doesn't have bad matches. Features a little bit of clipping for SamuraiTV but judging from the time listed on cagematch it's less than a minute. Really sucks they were playing to a barely third full Korakuen, I don't rate Big Japan's Deathmatch division as highly as somewhere like Freedoms but their Strong division is entirely my poo poo
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252833?t=57m37s

AWG ACTwrestling in Korakuen Hall March 24th
HM
Mari (c) vs Natsumi Sumikawa - AWG Title
- This was heckin rad, not up there with the best of somehwere like Sendai or SEAd but miles ahead of most of the offer matches AWG are putting on during All Japan shows
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252841?t=2h10m48s

Lily Catts posted:

2024/04/07
DDT April Fool
MOTYC: Chihiro Hashimoto vs Shinya Aoki

Everyone watch this match. A strong argument for intergender wrestling, and REAL GRAPS

I've already nominated it but heres a link to the match. Watch it, I guarantee you will not be disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
MOTYC: Chihiro Hashimoto vs Shinya Aoki - DDT April Fool 4/7
HM: Zack Sabre Jr & Chris Brookes vs MAO & Yuki Ueno - DDT April Fool 4/7

awesome show! ZSJ/Brookes vs Mao/Ueno was a blast, but goddamn, I had to give Hashimoto vs Aoki a MOTY nod because it's absolutely a match I am going to be thinking about for the rest of the year

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
DDT April Fool 2024 - 4/7

MOTYC: Chihiro Hashimoto v. Shinya Aoki
Some context if you're unfamiliar with either of these wrestlers, as I was watching their first bout from DDT's Nevermind 2022 show: Chihiro Hashimoto is one of the best active joshi who wrestles a powerhouse style. Shinya Aoki is an absolute killer mixed martial artist with 31 career submission victories, despite looking like a skinny nerd. He's garnered some controversy for breaking people's arms in matches. This match was excellent, with a lot of drama for all the holds, escapes, and suplexes. It's really cool when submission holds are worked like this and treated as deadly. The crowd knows how vicious these two are and react huge when Aoki locks in an armbar or Hashimoto locks in a full nelson.

NJPW Windy City Riot - 4/12

All HMs:
Stephanie Vaquer (c) v. AZM for the New Japan STRONG Women's Title
"Scapegoat" Jack Perry v. Shota Umino
Matt Riddle (c) v. Zack Sabre Jr. for the NJPW World Television Title
Tomohiro Ishii v. Nic Nemeth
Tetsuya Naito (c) v. Jon Moxley for the IWGP World Heavyweight Title

I get why it hasn't gotten any nominations, but the Matt Riddle and Zack Sabre Jr. match was my MOTN. Really great work with the upside that Matt Riddle is probably done with NJPW. Zack Sabre Jr. is fantastic and really put on a classic here. Riddle was rightly booed despite not really working heel and the crowd was really behind ZSJ. Riddle is an abhorrent person and I don't want to look past that or make light of that but it was a really good match.

The show overall was excellent, despite no MOTYCs. I wish NJPW would run somewhere I could actually feasibly go.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

4/12 show?

4/5. Added the date in my post sorry!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The ZSJ match was definitely good, any match with ZSJ is, but I just couldn't enjoy it because I hated that his opponent was even there at all and I just wanted him to gently caress off. Luckily it would seem like he absolutely has now, thank God. If this turns out to be hotshotting the belt from ZSJ to Cobb I'll be happy, since I think Zack needs to move on from the belt and this was just the best case scenario to get rid of Riddle.

SalTheBard posted:

4/5. Added the date in my post sorry!

Caught your edit when I saw somebody second the original post, but thanks!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Collision 4/13

HM: House of Black (Malakai Black, Brody King, & Buddy Matthews) vs. Top Flight (Action Andretti & Dante Martin) & Matt Sydal
HM: Lee Moriarty vs. Katsuyori Shibata
MOTYC: AZM vs. Toni Storm
MOTYC: Don Callis Family (Kyle Fletcher & Will Hobbs) vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Bryan Danielson & Claudio Castagnoli)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

AEW Collision 4/13

MOTYC: AZM vs. Toni Storm
MOTYC: Don Callis Family (Kyle Fletcher & Will Hobbs) vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Bryan Danielson & Claudio Castagnoli)

I'd say HM for both, thought they were great, the main event was excellent and right on the cusp of MOTYC.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

Working my way though all the tabs i've built up

FREEDOMS The Gekokujo March 22nd
MOTYC
Masashi Takeda (c) vs Violento Jack - King of FREEDOM Title
- loving ruled, deathmatch wrestling done absolutely right, even if the board with metal forks sticking out got me wincing more than once
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252881?t=1h22m30s

2nd this, Takeda & Jack always bring the sicko poo poo together

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Battle of the Belts 4/13

HM: HOOK vs. Shane Taylor
HM: Rocky Romero vs. Roderick Strong
MOTYC: Red Velvet vs. Athena

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
AEW Collision 4/13
HM: House of Black (Malakai Black, Brody King, & Buddy Matthews) vs. Top Flight (Action Andretti & Dante Martin) & Matt Sydal
HM: AZM vs. Toni Storm
HM: Don Callis Family (Kyle Fletcher & Will Hobbs) vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Bryan Danielson & Claudio Castagnoli)

HM: Athena vs Red Velvet

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pylons posted:

AEW Collision 4/13

HM: Lee Moriarty vs. Katsuyori Shibata
HM: Don Callis Family (Kyle Fletcher & Will Hobbs) vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Bryan Danielson & Claudio Castagnoli)

Pylons posted:

HM: HOOK vs. Shane Taylor
HM: Red Velvet vs. Athena

mine. a drat loving fine 3 hours of pro wrestling

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Stephanie Vaquer (C) vs. AZM for the NJPW Strong Openweight Women's Title - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
Really great showcase for both ladies, with a great aftermath that has me excited for what comes next.

MOTYC: Shota Umino vs. Scapegoat Jack Perry - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
The match was VERY well worked but this was elevated by the absolutely electric atmosphere in the Chicago crowd, and Perry (and Shota!) playing into that so effectively to make this more than the sum of its parts.

caught up, big nth

we saw a lot of great wrestling this weekend and shooter/jack was the best imo

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Stephanie Vaquer (C) vs. AZM for the NJPW Strong Openweight Women's Title - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
Really great showcase for both ladies, with a great aftermath that has me excited for what comes next.

The match was VERY well worked but this was elevated by the absolutely electric atmosphere in the Chicago crowd, and Perry (and Shota!) playing into that so effectively to make this more than the sum of its parts.

HM: Mustafa Ali vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
This was a ton of fun (you HAVE to see Daryl Jr's new look) with things taking a step up in intensity for the last few minutes.

HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Nic Nemeth - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
The match was good and Nemeth did well, but Ishii is legitimately one of the best wrestlers in the world. Just incredible.

HM: Tetsuya Naito (C) vs. Jon Moxley for the IWGP World Heavyweight Title - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
I really, really, really liked this match. Others might not. I did!

MassRafTer posted:

AEW Collision 4/13

HM: Athena vs Red Velvet

Nthing all of these. I watched a lot of wrestling yesterday and it was all very, very good!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

PRESTIGE Wrestling 4/15

HM: Trish Adora vs. Amira
HM: Kevin Blackwood vs. Mustafa Ali
HM: Akira vs. Minoru Suzuki
HM: Miyu Yamashita vs. Kylie Rae
HM: C420 (Cody Chhun, Guillermo Rosas, & Sonico) vs. Bullet Club War Dogs (David Finlay, Gabe Kidd, & Clark Connors)
MOTYC: Daniel Makabe vs. Zack Sabre Junior

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Stardom 12/4/24

Motyc : giulia/syuri v hanan/mayu iwatani

Second, plus HM for Utami Hayashishida & Saya Kamitani vs. Maika & Saya Iida

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
11th April
All Japan New Age Chronicle-Z 4
Dan Tamura, Fuminori Abe & Ryuki Honda vs Hokuto Omori, Kuma Arashi & Shotaro Ashino
Watch this here

The gimmick with the New Age Chronicle-Z shows is simple: only wrestlers who've been wrestling for less than a decade. Which is an easy thing for All Japan to do as that's more than half of their roster, plus some outsiders. This is a really silly match, I've probably over-rated it a bit but I just deeply enjoyed it, wrestling that makes you chuckle deserves love too!

HM
11th April
All Japan New Age Chronicle-Z 4
Rising HAYATO vs Yuma Anzai
Watch this here

Your Junior Champ vs the Triple Crown Champ here. Some might question how this was booked but I honestly thought it makes sense: HAYATO is more experienced than Yuma, by a few years, despite still being mid-20s. Maybe Yuma is a bit over-confident now he's the new champ & he under-estimates HAYATO. Either way, a very good wrestling match between 2 guys I love watching.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Mustafa Ali vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
This was a ton of fun (you HAVE to see Daryl Jr's new look) with things taking a step up in intensity for the last few minutes.

HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Nic Nemeth - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
The match was good and Nemeth did well, but Ishii is legitimately one of the best wrestlers in the world. Just incredible.

HM: Tetsuya Naito (C) vs. Jon Moxley for the IWGP World Heavyweight Title - NJPW Windy City Riot 4/12
I really, really, really liked this match. Others might not. I did!

finally got to see the show, nth to all these.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pylons posted:

PRESTIGE Wrestling 4/15

HM: Trish Adora vs. Amira
HM: Kevin Blackwood vs. Mustafa Ali
HM: Akira vs. Minoru Suzuki
HM: Miyu Yamashita vs. Kylie Rae
HM: C420 (Cody Chhun, Guillermo Rosas, & Sonico) vs. Bullet Club War Dogs (David Finlay, Gabe Kidd, & Clark Connors)
MOTYC: Daniel Makabe vs. Zack Sabre Junior

this was a very good show nth, props to prestige

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
AJPW New Age Chronicle-Z 4 - 4/11
WMOTYC: Imabari Towel Mascaras & Yakan Nabe v. Hideki "Shrek" Sekine in a 2-on-1 handicap match

I've rated a lot of matches this year and a few I've rated pretty low, but I don't think I've actually nominated any WMOTYCs. I generally don't like being too negative unless it's really warranted. For this match, it's warranted. I tried to think about what aspects of a match would make it actively bad. I think for me, a bad match is one where no one looks good. Botched spots, people in the wrong place at the wrong time, finish gets messed up. And such. I try not to rate matches based on the booking. Like if the person I like doesn't win, I wouldn't give that a lower score or something. I don't think that's totally fair.

So what went wrong here? Well, based on this match, Hideki Sekine really shouldn't be wrestling. I don't know a lot about him. He's a big weird lookin' dude. He's fifty, and he had an MMA career prior to getting into pro wrestling a few years ago. The story of the match is that he's big and strong and had a .500 record in MMA and that his opponents are lil twerps. There is something inherently funny about seeing Hideki Sekine lumbering towards Yakan Nabe. But he had a bad, bad match. His selling is to the point where I'm not sure if he's no-selling or just isn't aware that he should be selling. There's a blown spot where Imabari Towel Mascaras is being carried by Sekine and Yakan Nabe is supposed to jump off the top rope and do a splash and take them down, but Sekine doesn't go down. I thought maybe he was supposed to catch them both, but Yakan Nabe goes up again, redoes the spot, and they all go down.

The finish also gets messed up. Sekine gets dropkicked in the face, Yakan Nabe twists him up in la magistral, and Towel Mascaras comes over with the jackknife to pick up the win. However, Sekine's shoulder is clearly off the mat, granted, it was the one on the other side of the ref. The ref counts three and Shrek seems legitimately confused. Granted, I'm not sure if this was the planned finish and maybe Shrek forgot or what. Anyways, he's visibly bleeding from the mouth, so injury to insult. The only saving grace was he hit a really sick German suplex at some point.

So I think this is what I'm going to think of when I think of a bad match. No one ends up looking good. Not the wrestlers, not the ref, no one. It's embarrassing to watch and made me feel bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
CMLL 4/16

HM: Neon vs Rugido

Neon is so loving cool and this also has the most satisfying KeMalito appearance of the year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
24th February
AEW Collision
Bryan Danielson vs Jun Akiyama
Watch this here

HM
4th April
DEFY Can't Deny It
CCK (Chris Brookes & Kid Lykos) vs Moonlight Express (MAO & Mike Bailey)
[url=]Watch this here[/url]

I think I've now watched more Mania week shows from this year than last now. Because I've watched matches from 2 shows.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Dynamite 4/17

HM: Brody King and Julia Hart vs. Willow Nightingale & Adam Copeland
HM: The Elite (Nicholas & Matthew Jackson & Kazuchika Okada) vs. Red Death Triangle (Daniel Garcia, Penta El Zero Miedo & PAC)
MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Claudio Castagnoli

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

HM: The Elite (Nicholas & Matthew Jackson & Kazuchika Okada) vs. Red Death Triangle (Daniel Garcia, Penta El Zero Miedo & PAC)

Only half way through the show but quoting pylons

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

Nthing these for me

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

Missed the first 2/3 of the show so I can only Nth this right now.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

Nth. The mixed tag was basically Cope vs Brody featuring Willow doing some wild poo poo to Brody. And it ruled.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
AEW Dynamite 4/17

HM: Will Ospreay vs. Claudio Castagnoli

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

Big nth!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

these two, nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

apophenium posted:

So I think this is what I'm going to think of when I think of a bad match. No one ends up looking good. Not the wrestlers, not the ref, no one. It's embarrassing to watch and made me feel bad.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable metric to judge these things by :hai:

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

Nth. Really really good match. I hope they run it back on ppv one day

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

Nth. Great ep this week

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
17th April
GLEAT LIDET UWF Ver.4
UWF Rules
Daisuke Nakamura & Takuya Wada vs Dan Tamura & Soma Watanabe
Watch this here

HM
17th April
GLEAT LIDET UWF Ver.4
UWF Rules
Hikaru Sato vs Takanori Ito
Watch this here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MassRafTer posted:

AEW Dynamite 4/17

Nth!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
18th April
All Japan Champion Carnival Night 1
Dan Tamura & Ryo Inoue vs Rising HAYATO & Seigo Tachibana

HM
18th April
Champion Carnival A Block
Hokuto Omori vs Shotaro Ashino

MOTYC
18th April
Champion Carnival A Block
Kento Miyahara vs Ren Ayabe

Really coming out performance for Ren Ayabe, really looked good today with new gear & some new stiff strikes.

MOTYC
18th April
Champion Carnival B Block
Jun Saito vs Yuma Anzai

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dynamite 4/17

HM: Adam Copeland & Willow Nightingale vs Brody King & Julia Hart
HM: Daniel Garcia, Pac, & Penta El Zero Miedo vs. Elite
HM: Claudio Castagnoli vs. Will Ospreay

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

AJPW Champion Carnival Night 1

HM
Rising HAYATO & Seigo Tachibana vs. Dan Tamura & Ryo Inoue
Shotaro Ashino vs. Hokuto Omori
Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Yuma Aoyagi
Kento Miyahara vs Ren Ayabe

MOTYC
Jun Saito vs. Yuma Anzai

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
ROH on Honor Club 4/18

HM: Lee Johnson vs JD Drake

Maybe Lee's most impressive performance yet because while JD Drake is good he's no Fletcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
HM: The System (Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers) (c) vs. the Motor City Machine Guns for the TNA World Tag Team Championship, TNA Impact 4/18

Even though it was obvious who was winning, the match was still compelling.