Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Gen G shook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

khazix into lulu and azir seems weird

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

"you find lulu planting a ward and you blow her up" isn't that just...wrong? lulu can ult shield and polymorph you though?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
At least we are getting 5 games out of this.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

who is going to win? i have no idea

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
lol Faker just suicide-bombed on herald and forgot to get out or something?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

man, if T1 manage to turn this around

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Kiin is massive

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

geng better win msi

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Awwww Kiin :3:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LEC Spring Finals are live, and Caps' dad cheering like a Tusken Raider will never get old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4PtoAiz_KQ

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

very well deserved after being stuck in low tier prison for so long. still very funny how much of a mental block GEN is for T1 even after winning worlds

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

riot please kill loving laneswaps before MSI, i beg of you

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
hell yeah

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

I'm losing my mind watching oscarinin play league of legends

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

it's time to sub in soaz

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Sickos posted:

I'm losing my mind watching oscarinin play league of legends

he's been having a weak year so far, even outside this weird laneswap meta

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just watched the LCK final highlights
God drat what a series

And FNC getting an ace? what?!

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

yeah, one of the best series in a long time, in my opinion.

this lec finals on the other hand...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Sickos posted:

yeah, one of the best series in a long time, in my opinion.

this lec finals on the other hand...

LEC's really fallen off in production quality, though their seeming refusal to ever leave the confines of the berlin studio isn't helping matters. seriously feels like a high school basketball game half the time

some actually big news: LCS is switching to Bo3 for summer. only single round robin, presumably to help them test the waters and see if the format change has legs or not, but still pretty interesting that they're finally giving it a go again after staying away for so many years

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I have to imagine they will be moving away with the prerecorded drafts which sucks but otherwise this is undoubtedly a good change, especially with the reduced league size

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firebert posted:

I have to imagine they will be moving away with the prerecorded drafts which sucks but otherwise this is undoubtedly a good change, especially with the reduced league size

i'll be interested in seeing how it affects viewer numbers, especially since they gotta take another two week break for saudi arabia's lovely sportswashing tournament. best case scenario is that they remain relatively stable and the league can transition into Bo3 full time, but Bo3's historically suffered in regions that don't already have huge viewer bases, so we'll have to see

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vermain posted:

LEC's really fallen off in production quality, though their seeming refusal to ever leave the confines of the berlin studio isn't helping matters. seriously feels like a high school basketball game half the time

The studio is fine, but the huge remodel they did this year since it's hosting part of Worlds doesn't look great when most of the crowd is visibly empty because there's maybe 3 teams anyone cares enough about and no-one's coming to just watch a full day of games any more.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

njsykora posted:

The studio is fine, but the huge remodel they did this year since it's hosting part of Worlds doesn't look great when most of the crowd is visibly empty because there's maybe 3 teams anyone cares enough about and no-one's coming to just watch a full day of games any more.

Laying off most of the production staff probably didn't help either.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

they managed to mostly recover when it came to ingame observers, but the content mill that made them so spectacular several years back has completely dried up, which is a drat shame

on the plus side, the LCK's at least become very good at content creation. aside from lanemates (which is just a personal thing, nothing wrong with the format), i've loved all of their side shows like Who R U Man!?, secret boardroom, and re:play, and i genuinely look forwards to the weekly releases

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bin - knight - elk seems...pretty good

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

markZ did an LCS viewership update. average minutes watched were up their largest amount YOY since the covid bump, which is good, with the converse side being that peak viewership is still on the decline to the tune of about 25k. my read is that people were more willing to watch through the entire broadcast due to both its reduced number of games per day and the overall faster pace of the broadcast, but all the improvements still didn't manage to completely halt the slide of viewers. this is the smallest loss in PV since 2021, though, so their efforts haven't been completely in vain, although it'll take a lot more legwork to bring back enough lapsed fans to stabilize the viewing population

CODChimera posted:

bin - knight - elk seems...pretty good

knight's managed to become the LPL chovy: uncontested domestic dominance that manages to consistently fizzle out the moment he hits international competition. the LPL in general seemed like they lost their collective nerve last year, with none of the viciousness you expect, so i'm curious if that's going to reverse course at MSI or not

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Pretty happy to see that Mark is a better commissioner than caster or analyst. If they can retain the LCS core audience I'm good with that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh man, speaking of the LPL, they've got a loving wild summer format coming up:
  • 17 teams divided into 4 groups based on spring results
  • the main stage is a double round robin Bo3 with fearless draft enabled, although i'm not sure what form of fearless draft is being considered
  • this is followed by a double bracket format with traditional ban/pick, with the bottom two teams in each group going to the lower and the other teams going to the upper; the last 3 in the lower bracket are dropped, while the #1 team gets an automatic pass into playoffs
  • the remaining 6 teams do a single elimination Bo5 with traditional ban/pick, with the winning 3 teams heading into playoffs
it's enormously confusing but apparently already very popular as the format for honor of kings' big esports league. as other people have said, the intent seems to be to reduce boring matches between high and low ranking teams, create more variability in the main stage via fearless draft, and generate more overall hype instead of doing a single double elim format and being done with it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also they have 17 god drat teams and its basically impossible for them to do a standard double round robin format within 3 months at this point. They already have the longest split length of all regions by multiple weeks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a reminder that the MSI begins in roughly 3 hours, starting with FLY vs. PSG, followed by T1 vs. "estral esports"; you can check the full schedule here

it's sadly once again in china and is going to be at real goblin hours, so it's gonna be rewatch city for this gamer. english broadcast is going to be especially thin this year anyways, since captainflowers pulled out due to health concerns (re: it's a long loving flight and he's allergic to soy), and azael had to pull out last minute to spend time with his dying father. mostly just hoping TL can put up a good show against EU and maybe take a game or two off a CN/KR team

Vermain fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 1, 2024

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Vermain posted:

a reminder that the MSI begins in roughly 3 hours, starting with FLY vs. PSG, followed by T1 vs. "estral esports"; you can check the full schedule here

it's sadly once again in china and is going to be at real goblin hours, so it's gonna be rewatch city for this gamer. english broadcast is going to be especially thin this year anyways, since captainflowers pulled out due to health concerns (re: it's a long loving flight and he's allergic to soy), and azael had to pull out last minute to spend time with his dying father. mostly just hoping TL can put up a good show against EU and maybe take a game or two off a CN/KR team

It's at a decent time in Australia, but I know I will get screwed when World's is in Germany.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bwipo single handedly keeping Flyquest in that second game.

E: An ending worthy of the LCS lmao.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 1, 2024

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Is flyquest decent or is psg bad? Oh right I don't care lol

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Sexpansion posted:

Is flyquest decent or is psg bad? Oh right I don't care lol

They are both Tier One regions and must be comparable to any other Tier One...bahahaha

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Shoutout to the analysts trying really hard to act like this isn't going to be an absolute brutalising.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Thought it was going kind of OK with not too big of a gap, then their Yone did a bonehead ult and mid inhib went down at 20 mins. Oh well

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I am begging Kobe to stop calling Estral "Astralis".

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Lmao what a start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Zeus gets 4v1 dove, immediately TPs back thinking surely they will not just dive me again