Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Pan Dulce posted:

<_< Adore would like to have a word with you about the problems of singing your own song live in a talent show.

I mean, I know singing live is hard and she has the capability, considering she's done it before on American Idol and on tour, but production can gently caress around with how it comes out SO easily, it's easier to lipsync.

Or literally last season. Though it ended up being a blessing for Loosey

Also, it's not easy to sing and do stunts, so I have a bit more leeway if a queen lip syncs to her own bitchtrack if she's at least pulling out impressive moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

That was a fun premiere. +1 to the Team Sapphira and Team Dawn pile! I feel like the Rate-A-Queen gimmick is gonna end up not mattering since I don't have faith in the producers, but we'll see, I guess.

:allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Excited to be in from the start this season :dance:

Dawn is everything I would die for her

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I gotta say one thing. I love Theron; watched Monster, Mad Max Fury Road, and Atomic Blonde avidly. But maybe it's my race or generation, but I'd be more stoked to meet Becky G. I know someone complained about the guests being skewed in terms of level of famousness, but it's all different strokes for different folks, you know?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pan Dulce posted:

I gotta say one thing. I love Theron; watched Monster, Mad Max Fury Road, and Atomic Blonde avidly. But maybe it's my race or generation, but I'd be more stoked to meet Becky G. I know someone complained about the guests being skewed in terms of level of famousness, but it's all different strokes for different folks, you know?

I think that was me who complained. Still no idea who she is. But I rewatched the premiere today, and I missed this the first time, but when Charlize walked in, one queen shouted, "oh my god it's Aeon Fluxx." That made me chuckle.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The only queen I'm not feeling right now is Morphine, and that's solely based on her performance and runway look in the premiere. The mug is great, I love a fierce confessional, but she didn't live up to the game she was talking before the going first on the Main Stage.

But, that's a mild complaint and she has plenty of time to step it up.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

The only queen I'm not feeling right now is Morphine, and that's solely based on her performance and runway look in the premiere. The mug is great, I love a fierce confessional, but she didn't live up to the game she was talking before the going first on the Main Stage.

But, that's a mild complaint and she has plenty of time to step it up.

She gives great talking head. Her reaction to Amanda's lipsync was just on this side of mean, with a hint of being nice. Very much, "Meh." I loved it.

Although a runway look being an off-the-rack swimsuit, even a tasteful one? BASIC.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

None of this is new, but a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eurpLojLz7w

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

None of this is new, but a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eurpLojLz7w

I think the only part that I didn't know was that they only film from Monday to Friday, so they might start filming an episode on Friday, then they will have Saturday and Sunday off, before resuming on Monday.

Unrelated, I've noticed how skinny Trixie has gotten lately. She has been talking a lot about training for marathons, so it's probably related to that. I know working a career where you spend most of your time in nightclubs can't exactly lead to a super healthy lifestyle all the time.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am rooting for Sapphia Crystal - sorry I am from Philly and rooting for her. I never seen her live at bob and barbras or elsewhere - I only go when I can convince my husband to go with me. Last time I conviced him he passed out on a bench while I was dancing haha,

Just watching it now since he got covid and taking care of him I got it myself so I have mostly just been laying in bed and sleeping lol. But since vaccinated it could be a lot worse.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
"The time has come for you to impress me and earn immunity from a future elimination."

It could be that this is simply indicating that episode 1 and episode 3 don't have an immediate follow through, but the phrasing on this implies that immunity grants the winning queen safety from bottom two regardless of how long in the future that is.

Cristal gets immunity episode 1 and doesn't fall into the bottom 2 via queen vote until, say, episode 8 where she bombs the mountain climbing in heels challenge or some poo poo. That means the bottom 2 are bottom queens 1 and 3 instead. Of course, if the queens know who is in the bottom, some of the strategic ones could vote for "my biggest competition who has immunity" to be in last place every time.
I like this twist, to an extent. It certainly shakes up the formula in a way that immediately eliminating strong people won't make a boring season (pangina being removed from UKvtW still sucked) while providing the drama of strategy.

Side note: Where tf are these queens getting these impossibly bouncy breastplates?? this is the second time that fake titties that are breastiling boobily have enhanced a lipsync, when previously they were a stiff, awkward detriment.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 9, 2024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

curiousTerminal posted:

she bombs the mountain climbing in heels challenge

Ffs modern queens aren't even trying

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

Side note: Where tf are these queens getting these impossibly bouncy breastplates?? this is the second time that fake titties that are breastiling boobily have enhanced a lipsync, when previously they were a stiff, awkward detriment.

I dunno about that, but when Michelle Visage implies your fake breasts are "My First Breastplate" and I think, the Fischer-Price of boobies, you gotta change the game up. Made me laugh to the point of tears when I heard that.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

she bombs the mountain climbing in heels challenge or some poo poo.

For two seconds, I thought you were talking about RPDR-Canada where they had to do this for their first pictorial.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I am rooting for Sapphia Crystal - sorry I am from Philly and rooting for her. I never seen her live at bob and barbras or elsewhere - I only go when I can convince my husband to go with me. Last time I conviced him he passed out on a bench while I was dancing haha,

Just watching it now since he got covid and taking care of him I got it myself so I have mostly just been laying in bed and sleeping lol. But since vaccinated it could be a lot worse.

So does Sapphira perform regularly at Bob & Barbras? We went there on a complete whim one night back in September (the 22nd) and saw a great show. Unfortunately I have a bit of a hard time hearing, so I wasn't able to catch any of the performers names, but one of them really stood out to me as being very very talented and an incredible lipsyncer.
I've been wondering if that might have been her, though I don't remembering them looking 100% the same as what I've seen on TV so far.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ugh, I'm so obsessed with this move

https://i.imgur.com/nnZ1Ghr.mp4
Actually, I'm just obsessed with Mirage in general :allears:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I didn't watch the Dragula reunion, can someone answer if the Finale is going to be Top 4, Top 3, or we'll find out next week?

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
Top 4

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Thanks!

Also, the first act of tomorrow's episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6RUW2RRj78

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

My wife really likes Q, I really like Mirage. Personally I feel like if Mirage abides by Michelle's "clean it up" comment she could be a powerhouse, however I do recognize Q's craft with handmaking all of their looks.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

CDR finale

This season was an incredible ride, even if it ended up giving us the Krystal Versace of Canada. Well, that's not fair. Krystal can lip sync and her aesthetic is stunning. Anyway, can't wait for Melinda to have a Mo Heart style glowup and smash an AS season.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I'm OK with the winner, though I didn't really have a favourite in the top four. I was rooting hard for Kitty and when she left, I didn't feel like I had much of a stake in the season anymore. Didn't Gisele look stunning though?!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

(quote is not edit)

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

CDR finale

This season was an incredible ride, even if it ended up giving us the Krystal Versace of Canada. Well, that's not fair. Krystal can lip sync and her aesthetic is stunning. Anyway, can't wait for Melinda to have a Mo Heart style glowup and smash an AS season.

Agree!!! I hated this ending because we all knew it was going to happen this way. Venus, I hate to say this, is a beautiful specimen out of drag naturally. So to say their drag is, “I don’t pluck my brows, I don’t tuck, use Marcia Marcia Marcia amount of makeup and look THIS good,” and you reward that level of “effort.” Boo Drag Race. Boo!

Not to mention, even with Furtado’s shittiest song, Aurora took it in the lipsync. Trash. Trash this entire season.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The real winner of this season of CDR was the Golden Beaver.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm not happy with the outcome, but also not not happy with it. I was rooting for Denim to take the crown, but it looked like producers were hell-bent on Nerah for the longest time and she kept getting more and more grating as the competition went on.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Pan Dulce posted:

[...] even with Furtado’s shittiest song, Aurora took it in the lipsync.

What an incredibly terrible song for a lipsync, especially for a finale. No energy whatsoever, I could barely pay attention to the performances.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I'm happy with the result. Venus was the only one left who excelled in all aspects of the competition. Everyone else was terrible when it came to comedy and acting challenges.

Also the track used for those final singles was horrible. You can really see the non union rinky dink production values sometimes.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Normy posted:

I'm happy with the result. Venus was the only one left who excelled in all aspects of the competition. Everyone else was terrible when it came to comedy and acting challenges.

Also the track used for those final singles was horrible. You can really see the non union rinky dink production values sometimes.

I agree that she was the most well-rounded all season. Never had a bad week and would've made the finale by default. My issue with her is that she's simply competent at Drag Race, but the spark is missing for me. She never really had a "Wow!" moment like the others in the top 4 (or hell even the top 7) nor did she dominate.

I compared her to Aquaria earlier, who is a similar archetype, i.e. twink genetically engineered to be good at DR. But she was miles above the rest of her season in fashion and proved her comedy chops with a decisive SG win.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Is it just me or did the entire top four all feel a little...underbaked? There's no one who gave me that STAR DIVA feeling like the previous winners.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, well they're all pretty much baby queens

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
The last few seasons of UK and Canada have made me feel like that: I don't remember who won, I don't remember rooting for anyone, and the finales are all "eh, any one of them could win and it's whatever to me".

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

car dance posted:

The last few seasons of UK and Canada have made me feel like that: I don't remember who won, I don't remember rooting for anyone, and the finales are all "eh, any one of them could win and it's whatever to me".

I remember Danny Beard/Cheddar Gorgeous. I remember (before I dropped Canada that season) that I was fond of Giselle Lullabye. I remember NOTHING else. Just vague notions of liking those three.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Last night I tried to remember who won the last UK season and had to resort to Wikipedia.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

These Derrick Barry cut-ins over the last two weeks are sending me.

e: Okay Derrick getting slimed and almost falling down made it all worth it.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 13, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Based on this episode, my favorites from this group were Plain Jane and Nymphia Wind, but holy poo poo is Plain Jane the most obvious heel the show has had in a while? We've had villains in the last few years, but most of them never intended to come off that way. Jane seems to know exactly what she's doing.

Megami does not seem like she'll stick around for very long. Creative, but does not seem to have any showmanship.

I still don't know who Becky G is, at least she seemed to be having fun.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Michelle, what a bitch. Plasma was a Master at all of those talents. She wasn't a master of none. <__<

Whooo! Geneva and Nymphia doin' it for the culture!!! Love it.

Plane Jane is gunning for overbearing villainess. I wasn't annoyed by anything except her flipping her hair right in the face of Geneva. UGH. I was mad. Also, I know it would have been unfair, but Mayores is Becky G's best song. It's Spanish, but dammit, I want to see it done in RPDR. Maybe Mexico? Whatever.

Megami first one out or Amanda Tori Meating?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Lmao, it's so obvious only two of the girls knew who Becky G was during her surprise werkroom visit.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

"Is she giving anything worth protecting?"

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm team Nymphia.