Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I loved Sapphira's finale original song the best out of the three but I didn't really get the vampire teeth that she wore for the lip synch.

Nymphia's boba balloons released on the "butterflies" line was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Padam hasn't even been out for a year yet, bravo to the team.

Exactly!

I do wonder how much input the queens have for the lyrics in finale lip sync songs. If it's not much I can imagine it's just another avenue for producer rigging. "Nymphia for your song we have a moving and powerful song called 'Queen of Wind' that perfectly summarizes your journey throughout the competition. Plane Jane you will be performing 'Bodysuit.'"

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 22, 2024

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I read that the queens do work with the producer on their final songs and even get writing credits. Apparently, PJ had the most input for her song and even posted an endearingly cringy demo of it online...

https://twitter.com/the_planejane/status/1781610216909382130 (might need an account to see this)

She could be trolling though. You never know with her.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

That makes me feel a little better if that’s been the format for the original song finales. It always seems like at least one queen’s song is basically a joke about their time on the show or one aspect of their personality and that queen never wins/makes the final 2.

I always thought it was production putting their thumb on the scale, but if the queen’s give input/come up with concepts then it feels a little more fair.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'd love to know how much time there was between the filming of Episodes 14 and 15/16.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'd love to know how much time there was between the filming of Episodes 14 and 15/16.

I'd imagine episode 15 (Lalaparuza) was the final episode they filmed last summer for the season, and episode 16 (Grand Finale) was filmed a week or two ago. So, 9 months between episodes 15 and 16?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

amanda never got a chance to have her onscreen I’m a woman moment on s16. I hope she gets to on a future allstars even as an arantxa-style early out

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I'd imagine episode 15 (Lalaparuza) was the final episode they filmed last summer for the season, and episode 16 (Grand Finale) was filmed a week or two ago. So, 9 months between episodes 15 and 16?

I thought I heard they had changed the format and filmed everything in one go and didn’t have the “live” finale.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Everything was filmed before the promos were even revealed. I think it was around 2 months between the last challenge and Lalaparuza, and the finale within days.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Super cute shirt just went up on Nymphia's merch shop with cartoon renditions of all her looks. Already ordered one cause who knows how long those supplies will last.

Welp

https://twitter.com/66wind99/status/1782075786784125162

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

garthoneeye posted:

I thought I heard they had changed the format and filmed everything in one go and didn’t have the “live” finale.

Oh really, that's surprising. Maybe that explains why Amanda still seemed so angry at Plain, when they've apparently since squashed their beef and are supporting each other now? I had assumed it was just shady editing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

buddychrist10 posted:

I do wonder how much input the queens have for the lyrics in finale lip sync songs. If it's not much I can imagine it's just another avenue for producer rigging. "Nymphia for your song we have a moving and powerful song called 'Queen of Wind' that perfectly summarizes your journey throughout the competition. Plane Jane you will be performing 'Bodysuit.'"

I mean, you start with Burger Finger, you end up with Bodysuit.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

All-Stars 9 Cast Reveal in approx 45 minutes.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Pinwiz11 posted:

All-Stars 9 Cast Reveal in approx 45 minutes.

Goddamn they're not even letting the paint dry

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

No ug-a-ly Queens this season. Love it, they're all talented as hell. This is gonna be great.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I wasn't feeling most of this cast during spoiler season, but now I'm on board with like 6-7 of them.

Obviously the OGs are gonna bring it. Angeria is a treat as always (side note, that promo is divine). There are girls who weren't high performers but they'll compensate in the personality, looks, drama department.

At first, I thought this was not a cast that deserved non-elimination, but I accept charity as a reason to differentiate it from AS7 and they'll surely give great TV. Hopefully, the reduced pressure of elimination will put more queens at ease with performing at their best.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Top tier cast imo

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I assume this is going to be All-Winners rules and the whole cast is around the entire season? If so, I approve.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
This is a fun cast!

If they're doing non-elimination again, they picked a very good group to do it.

Edit: I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but someone definitely called Shannel's entrance confessional.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
While I gladly welcome the return of season 7 All Stars rules, I'm not exactly as enthusiastic about this cast as some of you, especially knowing that with the new rules, they'll be around the entire season.

Several of these queens were only ever just one-note ponies who were extremely rigid in what they could deliver, and lacked versatility. A couple others were dragged to the end due to being a favorite of Ru's, rather than based solely on their talent or ability.

But, on the other hand, it's been a few years since any of them were last on, plenty of time to grow, and maybe not having to worry about elimination will allow these queens to take risks, and show what they're capable of, and prove me wrong.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m curious as to who you percieve as one-note and who you perceive as a recipient of ru favouritism. aren’t they the same?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I feel that way about Jorgeous and to a lesser extent, Gottmik.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Maybe I'm the only one here but I don't like any of those queens and actively dislike some of them. I can't believe no one asked me, a CIS White Male in my 50's, for my input on this show.

The nerve.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

panko posted:

I’m curious as to who you percieve as one-note and who you perceive as a recipient of ru favouritism. aren’t they the same?

Drimble Wedge posted:

I haven't rewatched any season since 11, so my memory could be wrong, but these were the main two I was thinking of.

Jorgeous was a lip sync assassin, but failed in pretty much every challenge, which is why she was in the bottom so much. She won the one design challenge, but I remember it being a pretty controversial win since she just wore a simple piece of fabric.

Gottmik was definitely more versatile, as she succeeded in comedy, and design challenges, but she absolutely could not dance, or sing, and I seem to recall thinking that there were several challenges where she should have been in the bottom 2, but was safe every single time.

The other one trick pony I was thinking of was Plastique.

The rest of the cast I like enough I guess, but nobody that I'm really that excited about to see compete again.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

hm… saying plastique is one trick… fortunately for you I’m still wafting on the nymphia win

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Like 90% of what I've seen of Plastique since S11 is Tiktok out of drag -> in drag clips. But I'm actually most excited for her because she is one of the most gorgeous queens ever on the show, and she's definitely gonna bring it on the runway. I think most of what held her back originally was her age and confidence.

Also, one of the RPDR hills I will die on is that her demonic voice "A̷̙͂͐r̴̥̻͠i̵̭̥̝͒̂̽ͅa̷͔̦̋̉̃̇͘n̴̛̤̏̏̈́͜ǟ̶̩͓͐͒̕ ̸̥̰͙̉̀̂͌̚G̶̰̈́r̷̺̥̬̿͝a̶̘͋n̷̐̆ͅd̴̲̟͖̈́̉̌̈́ë̶̢̢̺̯̿́" was hilarious when the show edited it to look cringy.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
S16 thots: This really felt like a finale where the performances actually mattered. Sapphira tore that stage up in her song. Nymphia had a fun song and great choreo too. Plane did not sell herself at all with that marketing degree :lol: Nymphia won that last lip sync but I could've seen a double crowning. My Survivor-watching brain thinks Nymphia deserved a better winner's edit than she got though. At least make her lip sync in Snatch Game to send home Xunami.

All Stars with no eliminations sounds like a dog walk for Roxxxy.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Drimble Wedge posted:

I share your sentiments here, but I think only Gottmik actively annoys me. I warmed up to Kandy Muse after her turn on All Stars, so I'll cross my fingers and hope.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Gottmik gets really annoying when she has a Regina George to hover around (i.e. Kandy, Violet). Hopefully that'll change, since no one on this season seems like they'd fill that role.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Shneak posted:

All Stars with no eliminations sounds like a walk to the bus stop for Roxxxy.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

gandlethorpe posted:

Gottmik gets really annoying when she has a Regina George to hover around (i.e. Kandy, Violet). Hopefully that'll change, since no one on this season seems like they'd fill that role.

I've read the reddit spoilers and [spoiler] Gottmik turns into a Nina West mini me and it's very disturbing[spoiler]

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

angerbot posted:

I've read the reddit spoilers and Gottmik turns into a Nina West mini me and it's very disturbing

Not that this helps NOW but I'm trying

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I mean, it sounds fake, unless she just didn't reveal her name change to Gottfeet during promos like Mo Heart did for UKvTW

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I will never fix it, the people need to know

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm ready to see some Ghosts get Punched again.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I share your sentiments here, but I think only Gottmik actively annoys me. I warmed up to Kandy Muse after her turn on All Stars, so I'll cross my fingers and hope.

I say "lesser extent" with Gottmik because I think they have more actual talent than Jorgeous, who is a great dancer obviously but not much else. I just find both their personalities grating.

I'll be rooting for Shannel and Angeria, and am annoyed that Roxxxy's entrance line did not in fact state she was here to make it clear.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

angerbot posted:

I've read the reddit spoilers and [spoiler] Gottmik turns into a Nina West mini me and it's very disturbing[spoiler]

:stare:

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm ready to see some Ghosts get Punched again.

Honestly, it's all I really need out of the whole season.

I'm aware I'm in the minority on this but the only queen I'm not jazzed to see back is Nina West. I never found her that funny or interesting, her best bit was just a Golden Girls joke. I always go straight to that infected tumor dress she made when I think of her. Or the famously "meh" lip sync. But that's what makes All Stars so great, getting to see queens you didn't connect with in the original season in a new light.

Gottmik is also kinda...whatever. If nothing else, it'll be fun watching them try to jump cut around her during the dancing challenges.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Drimble Wedge posted:

I say "lesser extent" with Gottmik because I think they have more actual talent than Jorgeous, who is a great dancer obviously but not much else. I just find both their personalities grating.

I'll be rooting for Shannel and Angeria

OK, well!! At least there are two of us! I love Angeria so much it's criminal and I hope she catches a huge wave off of this, if not the crown. S1 and AS1 are the only seasons I haven't watched to completion but Shannel seems like a queen's queen so I am excited for the introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gottmik is just kind of annoying to have around on Drag Race when it's mainly a competition about how to showcase your personality and hers is to just ride behind bigger ones.

I just soured on Nina West when that weird nonconsensual foot stuff came out, which isn't really Drag Race specific but still skeeves me out.

Everyone's great though! Well, Vanjie literally does talk too much.