Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Pan Dulce posted:

I remember Danny Beard/Cheddar Gorgeous. I remember (before I dropped Canada that season) that I was fond of Giselle Lullabye. I remember NOTHING else. Just vague notions of liking those three.

I've got some good news for you on how that season of Canada ends then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
This season's crop looks really solid. Everyone has something that makes them stand out. Not a lot of shy queens, and the ones that seem so make up for it in other departments (like Mhi'ya's stunts and Megami's perspective). This is the first season in a while I'm completely unspoiled on, so I'm excited to see how it plays out, as some of my preseason impressions are already being turned around.

Hershii was one I had no strong feelings on preseason, but now I'm already rooting for her to get Miss Congeniality. Her family story was so heartwarming.

Honestly, I wasn't living for Plane Jane's shade in the preview, but as the episode went on, she kept flooring me with her cheek, nerve, gall, audacity, and gumption. Not rooting for her to win, but she's clearly gonna bring several things to the season. I might be able to forgive her for robbing Nymphia of a top spot.

Pan Dulce posted:

Megami first one out or Amanda Tori Meating?

Well, it's a ball challenge

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

Nymphia is delightful; also, I looked it up and apparently bananas are the biggest cash crop in Taiwan, so there ya go.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It seems like tittyplates are finally making a comeback. Since like season 7, there's been a dearth of busty queens and an influx of queens who barely even pad. Maybe queens are wising up to how much boobs make Ru laugh, and season 17 will have more breastplates than queens.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

gandlethorpe posted:

Well, it's a ball challenge

I’m worried about that. Mirage seemed to have a lovely outfit and was readying herself to lipsync. They could do a shock thing and give her a slow song she can’t heel clack and Swiffer her way through. Which would SUCK. I find her bitchy in a more realistic, Mistress type of way than Plane Jane.

Speaking of, I totally want to see the interactions between Mirage and Plane Jane. Wonder Bitch powers, activate!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Plane Jane will get to see Amanda next week and the I can only imagine the atomic level shade that will occur.

Plane Jane is such a refreshing villain. She spent the entire episode being so rotted and shady that I low-key live for. Is she going to win? I doubt it unless they do a redeeming storyline for her, which I do not see in the cards. Is she going to be good TV? gently caress yes. I also know the “discussion” around her is going to be tiring as gently caress.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think I'm most excited about Nymphia from the second batch. The ep spent a lot of time trying to establish Plane Jane as the season villain and I wasn't really feeling it at the start, but she did turn me around a bit 'cos:

gandlethorpe posted:

"Is she giving anything worth protecting?"

:vince:

Honestly? Kinda iconic

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
plane jane rightly reading megamis act as lacking substance was even funnier given how completely dumb and pointless her own act was. I love to hate her a LOT

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

My wife just reminded me that Megami said she started drag as a cosplayer which... Suddenly gives a lot of context IMHO.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I don't know what I think of Jane. I love an unapologetic villain on the show, and she has the goods to back it up... we'll see how it goes the next couple of weeks.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I wonder if the way they voted will come back and bite them in the rear end at some point. Because Jane - everyone knew you would do it haha. I will have to re-watch last week voting because I don't remember if any of them were an rear end haha!

czg posted:

So does Sapphira perform regularly at Bob & Barbras? We went there on a complete whim one night back in September (the 22nd) and saw a great show. Unfortunately I have a bit of a hard time hearing, so I wasn't able to catch any of the performers names, but one of them really stood out to me as being very very talented and an incredible lipsyncer.
I've been wondering if that might have been her, though I don't remembering them looking 100% the same as what I've seen on TV so far.

Honestly I haven't been there for years I was living in Chicago for 4 years and shortly after I moved back to philly - Covid, I still don't go anywhere with crowds unless absolutely necessary. It's just a place that I know does drag shows.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

UK vs TW 2's cat is out of the bag and I'm officially at the point where I don't know half the cast.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Shneak posted:

UK vs TW 2's cat is out of the bag and I'm officially at the point where I don't know half the cast.

True, but Team Tia Kofi

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Tia Kofi or Marina Summers for me.

Also, Gothy Kendoll? Really?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I spent that whole number waiting for a Four Non Blondes reveal but alas, go vote I guess.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Shoehead posted:

I spent that whole number waiting for a Four Non Blondes reveal but alas, go vote I guess.

This raises another question, does Megami know that song is a meme?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I know Twitter is a hell site but the number of “Plane Jane is just a worse Jimbo” takes I’ve seen is too high. The sentiment is even being talked about on the Pit Stop.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

jimmydalad posted:

I know Twitter is a hell site but the number of “Plane Jane is just a worse Jimbo” takes I’ve seen is too high. The sentiment is even being talked about on the Pit Stop.

I can see where it comes from, but Jane can actually win a LSFYL so...

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shneak posted:

Representing the US, Mayhem MIller and Scarlet Envy. So they want to make sure the US doesn't win this season I see.

I'll be rooting for Tia Kofi, but I don't think I'll be watching that season.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Noise Machine posted:

This raises another question, does Megami know that song is a meme?

She has a Zanarkand Abes tattoo she MUST know, right?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Scarlet Envy is fun DR queen who always gets overlooked by production, so I'm happy to see her get another shot. She got Janned harder than Jan in AS6. Four safes in a row then eliminated, when three of those safes could've been tops and her bottom placement was because Ru was upset that she didn't have a traumatic upbringing.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The Jan face crack robe Plasma was wearing while putting on makeup was so good.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2024

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I watched all of cdr s4 this past week (partner and I didn’t want to get burned out watching it and dragula concurrently) and it was probably my favourite season of cdr besides the first. asian queen excellence. melinda, kiki, and aurora gave some of the most memorable moments of the season. I did not like melinda’s drag at all but I loved her personality. we were dying basically every time she said something because she exudes typical filipino tito energy. and that meltdown in untucked!! fifth was way higher than I thought she’d go out; I’m so glad kiki saved her and we got that pacquiao snatch game

the winner doesn’t bother me because she was very much the total package throughout the season; I would of course loved to have seen second place take it but I can’t really fault the winner other than for being too perfect. her being part metis certainly doesnt hurt either

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

gandlethorpe posted:

"Is she giving anything worth protecting?"

:vince:

I loving *howled*

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Shoehead posted:

She has a Zanarkand Abes tattoo she MUST know, right?

Low-key I’ve latched onto Megami because she is a shameless video game nerd who loves JRPGs and cosplays as loving Morrigan. I don’t think she will win but the lack of reception to her has been a bit sad, even if she sorta messed up both talent number and runway.

I will say I found her more interesting to watch than Mhi’ya, which sorta reached a point of flipping for flipping’s sake.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nymphia's whole banana gimmick seems like it's going to get old before the season's done. Mhi'ya's giving underwhelming in challenges but killer at lip-syncs vibes. I'm still on Team Dawn.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know how people can stand people like Jane but I know unrelenting negativity is the kind of TV Americans love so I expect her to make it all the way to the end and I'll skip the whole season

E: she's not a TV villain, just a person on TV being an rear end in a top hat

Eej fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 14, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eej posted:

I don't know how people can stand villains like Jane but I know unrelenting negativity is the kind of TV Americans love so I expect her to make it all the way to the end and I'll skip the whole season

I can definitely see her become tiresome and toxic. But for quite a long time now, contestants on reality shows have become hyperaware of how they'll be edited, and perceived on social media. I can't really recall a classic reality tv villain on any show in a long time. There have been some people who became villains without realizing that they were, but nobody who has gone into a show at the start planning on playing the role of the heel. So in a way it's kind of refreshing to see someone just going for it.

But we've only been with her for one episode. We'll have to see.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I love a good catty villain with the goods to back it up. It makes the show more interesting! I hope Plane Jane goes far and I think embracing a villianous streak will help. However I think it's a poor strategy for actually winning because the general fandom will pitch a fit.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Eej posted:

I don't know how people can stand people like Jane but I know unrelenting negativity is the kind of TV Americans love so I expect her to make it all the way to the end and I'll skip the whole season

Nihonniboku posted:

I can definitely see her become tiresome and toxic. But for quite a long time now, contestants on reality shows have become hyperaware of how they'll be edited, and perceived on social media. I can't really recall a classic reality tv villain on any show in a long time. There have been some people who became villains without realizing that they were, but nobody who has gone into a show at the start planning on playing the role of the heel. So in a way it's kind of refreshing to see someone just going for it.

But we've only been with her for one episode. We'll have to see.

I was intensely uncomfortable with the Lucy LaDuca bullying last season, but there is something kind of refreshing about a queen coming in full villain in the social media age

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Eej posted:

I'm in this camp too. But I grit my teeth and bear it because the drag queens are that talented, funny, and beautiful. I do the same thing on most of my "competition" reality shows (minus the beautiful) that I watch (I.E. Project Runway, Top Chef, etc.). I just don't like seeing people being jerks.

It's also why I can't watch stuff like Succession. :smith:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also I'm so tired of the judging at this point. They always tell queens to do representation or whatever to show who they are at talent shows and almost never actually reward them for doing so. The further the talent is from the American experience the less the technical skill and cultural meaning is appreciated. We've seen it with Raja, Gia and now Nymphia all being men doing feminine (if not female only) dances from very traditional cultures and basically getting polite golf claps from the judges who just feel like they've witnessed something very exotic. Trixie mentioned in last week's pitstop that she knew playing an Appalachian autoharp would just be an easy safe and had no chance of winning.

Aurora's the closest an East Asian has ever come to winning an English language Drag Race since what, Kimchee? At this point I don't really have much hope for an East Asian queen winning unless they've totally assimilated ballroom culture or something. We're still too exotic for American judges, just like straight from Puerto Rican queens.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Eej posted:

I 100% agree with this. Plain Jane was just being horrible from jump. It wasn't cute, they weren't 'reads', she was just being horrible on purpose and I legit hated it. Like calling someone a pig in Russian? Wtf is that?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I really hope she doesn't suck up all the screen time when they're all together.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Eej posted:

Also I'm so tired of the judging at this point. They always tell queens to do representation or whatever to show who they are at talent shows and almost never actually reward them for doing so.

The queens voted this time... Based on the judges, Nymphia almost certainly would've been top without the twist. Plus, Geneva ended up on top doing a cultural dance.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Nihonniboku posted:

Tangentially related, but if anybody's been listening to the Boulet Brothers podcast over the past few weeks, then you've been listening to them realize in real time that their punk rock tv show has been getting more and more like current-day Drag Race against their will, culminating with the past episode where Drac threw a giant snit fit about how no one at the reunion was willing to share their true feelings on TV and everyone was holding poo poo back, and also about how too many of the fans of the show kept complaining about the drama and sending death threats to people over the drama, and then complaining about how the show wasn't as Raw and Real as it was in the past.

It's unavoidable at this point. Once you get to a certain level of success and notoriety, the fans run your poo poo, whether you like it or not.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

gandlethorpe posted:

The queens voted this time... Based on the judges, Nymphia almost certainly would've been top without the twist. Plus, Geneva ended up on top doing a cultural dance.

Yeah I'm not counting that because she started with it and then halfway broke into a more typical dance number that people could connect with. The equivalent of Nymphia suddenly voguing, duck walking and death dropping with her water sleeves.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

For me the second half was the part of her routine that fell flat, honestly.

Now that I think of it, it would be sickening to see a Filipina queen do tinikling for a talent show, and would probably go over well with the judges/audience. It's also open ended enough that they could put a modern/drag spin on it without feeling forced, but even playing it straight would be enough. Might be asking a lot from the pit crew, though.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Normy posted:

I really hope she doesn't suck up all the screen time when they're all together.

I do, because it would mean she's going home soon. I appreciate a bitchy queen, etc. etc., but yeah Plane Jane seems forced in both villainy and clownery. Neither are clever enough to merit the time spent. I think 'Burger Finger' had something she could've made funny or turned into a meme-moment, and Ru probably had that impression too so kicked off to seem in on it when it landed ... but it wasn't that. There was no there there.

Her read on Megami made me laugh but that was more a reflection on Megami's talent number than on Jane's wit. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

garthoneeye posted:

Tia Kofi or Marina Summers for me.

Also, Gothy Kendoll? Really?

Gothy Kendoll shocked me too. I'm looking forward to Philippines v. France in this show, since those have SUPER talented queens. Also, here's a video, in case you can't recognize the queens from that group shot, like me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA_mTDnxiCU