Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Pan Dulce posted:

RPDR Canada: Seriously, the makeover challenge is all about getting rid of the queens they want to get rid of. "You're twinning TOO hard." WTF?! Supernova Matrix should have let Aurora Matrix get to the top. Denim obviously is the best. Venus didn't deserve a top position, she was totally middle of the pack. Buffy 'Nough and Conchita Verga deserved bottom though. I'm surprised; Melinda knows how to sew and she made her husband THAT gown? I knew the makeup was going to be bad, considering Melinda has weird makeup with (I agree with Brooke) not enough blush.

GODDAMN IT, NEARAH NUFF STAYED. UUUUUUUGH. FML

I lost all hope today

I dunno now. Aurora for the win I guess. But they've been pushing Shopper's Drug Mart Aquaria Venus since the beginning, there's no way they don't crown her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

TeamSapphira, TeamDawn, and even though her edit already screams "early out", TeamMirage. I already know I'll be TeamNymphia next week.

Qrinity the Qruck, er, Q has also impressed me where I didn't think much of her preseason. Excited to see her in a sewing challenge.

Also, it sent me that Mirage's immediate connection upon seeing Charlize was Aeon Flux.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wait, is the voting going to be a recurring thing? I thought it was just for the talent show. Though it would be kind of a waste to come up with this format and never have it result in an elimination.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pan Dulce posted:

<_< Adore would like to have a word with you about the problems of singing your own song live in a talent show.

I mean, I know singing live is hard and she has the capability, considering she's done it before on American Idol and on tour, but production can gently caress around with how it comes out SO easily, it's easier to lipsync.

Or literally last season. Though it ended up being a blessing for Loosey

Also, it's not easy to sing and do stunts, so I have a bit more leeway if a queen lip syncs to her own bitchtrack if she's at least pulling out impressive moves.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ugh, I'm so obsessed with this move

https://i.imgur.com/nnZ1Ghr.mp4
Actually, I'm just obsessed with Mirage in general :allears:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

CDR finale

This season was an incredible ride, even if it ended up giving us the Krystal Versace of Canada. Well, that's not fair. Krystal can lip sync and her aesthetic is stunning. Anyway, can't wait for Melinda to have a Mo Heart style glowup and smash an AS season.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Normy posted:

I'm happy with the result. Venus was the only one left who excelled in all aspects of the competition. Everyone else was terrible when it came to comedy and acting challenges.

Also the track used for those final singles was horrible. You can really see the non union rinky dink production values sometimes.

I agree that she was the most well-rounded all season. Never had a bad week and would've made the finale by default. My issue with her is that she's simply competent at Drag Race, but the spark is missing for me. She never really had a "Wow!" moment like the others in the top 4 (or hell even the top 7) nor did she dominate.

I compared her to Aquaria earlier, who is a similar archetype, i.e. twink genetically engineered to be good at DR. But she was miles above the rest of her season in fashion and proved her comedy chops with a decisive SG win.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, well they're all pretty much baby queens

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Lmao, it's so obvious only two of the girls knew who Becky G was during her surprise werkroom visit.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

"Is she giving anything worth protecting?"

:vince:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This season's crop looks really solid. Everyone has something that makes them stand out. Not a lot of shy queens, and the ones that seem so make up for it in other departments (like Mhi'ya's stunts and Megami's perspective). This is the first season in a while I'm completely unspoiled on, so I'm excited to see how it plays out, as some of my preseason impressions are already being turned around.

Hershii was one I had no strong feelings on preseason, but now I'm already rooting for her to get Miss Congeniality. Her family story was so heartwarming.

Honestly, I wasn't living for Plane Jane's shade in the preview, but as the episode went on, she kept flooring me with her cheek, nerve, gall, audacity, and gumption. Not rooting for her to win, but she's clearly gonna bring several things to the season. I might be able to forgive her for robbing Nymphia of a top spot.

Pan Dulce posted:

Megami first one out or Amanda Tori Meating?

Well, it's a ball challenge

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It seems like tittyplates are finally making a comeback. Since like season 7, there's been a dearth of busty queens and an influx of queens who barely even pad. Maybe queens are wising up to how much boobs make Ru laugh, and season 17 will have more breastplates than queens.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Scarlet Envy is fun DR queen who always gets overlooked by production, so I'm happy to see her get another shot. She got Janned harder than Jan in AS6. Four safes in a row then eliminated, when three of those safes could've been tops and her bottom placement was because Ru was upset that she didn't have a traumatic upbringing.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Eej posted:

Also I'm so tired of the judging at this point. They always tell queens to do representation or whatever to show who they are at talent shows and almost never actually reward them for doing so.

The queens voted this time... Based on the judges, Nymphia almost certainly would've been top without the twist. Plus, Geneva ended up on top doing a cultural dance.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

For me the second half was the part of her routine that fell flat, honestly.

Now that I think of it, it would be sickening to see a Filipina queen do tinikling for a talent show, and would probably go over well with the judges/audience. It's also open ended enough that they could put a modern/drag spin on it without feeling forced, but even playing it straight would be enough. Might be asking a lot from the pit crew, though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It would be funny if they revealed the voting it before the final Rate-A-Queen, and everyone unanimously voted to put PJ in the bottom... And then she survives the lip sync

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Top 3 and winner were correct

Sad for the first eliminated girl. She seems like a sweetheart. I kind of figured it was gonna happen though when she got so much backstory during the episode. Also, when I realized that, I knew the perfect exit line for her and was ecstatic when she said it! 🍫

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This cast has some of the best chemistry in a long time. Up there with season 5

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Flopping with a memeable talent show is better than being safe with a forgettable one

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Has Ru ever even acknowledged Dragula's existence? Or any other drag competition show for that matter

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ok, now that I'm emotionally recovering... How was Morphine safe?

Plasma owned this episode right from the Barbara confessional at the beginning.

Glad Mhi'ya had a moment to charm the hell out of everyone.

Eagerly looking forward to Q's meltdown.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

They should've done Believe

Edit: Oh, guess it was done on S3. Mediocrely by Shangela and Carmen. They've reused lip sync songs that were done well the first time, so my point still stands.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 28, 2024

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

e: Also, Mirage has her All-Stars storyline ready to go.

Praying for Mirage to follow Kahanna's 2nd out -> RPDR Live -> AS with an insane glow-up pipeline. But with better outcome.

If she devotes herself to becoming an expert on Cher, Ru might just crown her. She'd at least have a guaranteed redemption storyline.

iceyman posted:

Has Plasma ever explained her drag name? Always seemed like an odd choice for her shtick.

Dunno how serious the explanation was, but she says in her MtQ she literally just went outside and saw a plasma donation site.

It's grown on me, but yeah, it's weird enough name for a queen who's not an alternative type, let alone an old-Hollywood theater type.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 28, 2024

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I actually don't think Mhi'ya deserved the bottom, even if her runway was atrocious. She was the least bad of the first skit. Morphine was giving nothing and her runway wasn't good enough.

But being in the bottom probably bought her a little more favor from the judges thanks to her so-bad-it's-good Cher impression.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The fact that they've never had a Fergie lip sync haunts me. My Humps is the closest we've gotten.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Apparently, they've already filmed the reunion (and possible the finale?) due to the writers strike. Which kind of sucks, if it means they won't be able to discuss stuff that happened during airing, i.e. fan reaction. Stuff like Megami's talent show becoming a meme or the popularity of Mirage's song, which btw just passed a million streams on Spotify.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ribbit. Ribbit. I am a lady frog. I am convincing you.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Mmmm, theboysallknow

As devastating as this elimination was, it warms my heart to see how enamored not just the fanbase is with her, but many fan favorite queens. In addition to Denali being quick to do a collab, Bob teased about wanting to do a verse if she ever does a longer version of her song.

And of course, this was Bob's reaction that night
https://twitter.com/thatonequeen/status/1751136066457759822

Now she knows the feeling

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 30, 2024

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Finally some straight representation on the Pit Stop

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Still not over last week's elimination

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It was pretty satisfying to see the girls who have been struggling kill the challenge, especially with the other queens doubting them early in the episode.

The did get the only good song though, and I'm surprised production gave it to them.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

panko posted:

I’m thinking the next few eliminations are megami, geneva, and mhi’ya, with the latter lasting so long out of meme value mostly

I don't completely disagree, but wild that people still don't take them as serious competitors after smashing this week's challenge

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

You know what? gently caress it, I'm accepting Megami into my heart. Obviously my faves Nymphia and Sapphira are gonna go far, and now that Mirage and Amanda have sadly left, I need an underdog to root for. In retrospect, I should've stanned from the start when she showed up to press events as loving Morrigan and with the Staff of Homa from Genshin Impact. Plus, she has a good sense of humor about the meme status of her talent show, so she doesn't take herself too seriously.

https://twitter.com/MegamiNyc/status/1749500408601497764

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The Maddy/Bob saga since the Pit Stop is an absolute riot

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I :monocle:'d several times during Maddy's response

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Not to mention back-and-forth on twitter

https://twitter.com/MaddyMorphosis/status/1754249535923368180

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Maddy's episode of the Pit Stop hit a million views in just 3 days. I think her AS ticket is secure.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I can't wait to see this stupid bitch back on my screen

https://twitter.com/dragraceukbbc/status/1755614968849039373

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

iceyman posted:

Fell off the wagon with the UK stuff. Did Tia have a glow up? She was very mid on her original season.

I wouldn't say she's transcended to fashion queen, but she's definitely stepped up her wardrobe and makeup game. Her maxed charisma stat will always be her biggest strength.