Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://x.com/njpwworld/status/1765348703098007771?s=20

The draw of the House of Torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

#ThankYouJackPerry

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

They put 3k into ota ward for only the second time and quite comfortably outdrew okada v ospreay in the g1 last year in the same venue.

Njpw has started the year very strongly business wise actually

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

#ThankYouScapegoat

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

They put 3k into ota ward for only the second time and quite comfortably outdrew okada v ospreay in the g1 last year in the same venue.

Njpw has started the year very strongly business wise actually

It's so weird. I'm really kind of down on New Japan (see not watching the Anniversary show live despite being around), but when I was updating my spreadsheet last night I looked at the raw numbers & New Japan is running away with promotion of the year so far. 12 MOTYC noms, the next closest is NOAH with 4, then AEW, Dragongate & Stardom with 3 a piece. At the higher end of ratings, I gave Danielson Okada ****¾ & Danielson ZSJ *****, New Japan have 4 of my current top 10 matches of the year (& the only other ***** I gave featured a NJPW wrestler in Dragongate, Shingo). Obviously HoT are not my cuppa but it's easy enough to skip them when you don't watch shows live, I think part of it is the top title has been kind of mid this year & for almost all my time watching current New Japan that's not been the case, so that takes some of the wind out of the sales. The other thing is that Kidd vs HENARE aside, the top matches in New Japan, for me, have featured guys who have either left the company or they only show up infrequently.

Also hard to look past how infuriating the booking of their younger talent has been, especially when compared to All Japan. Granted, All Japan are forced into that because they have about 12 or 13 wrestlers under contract, & of those 8 are under 30, 2 are 37 but only debuted in 2021, & the rest are Kento, Suwama & Ashino. It's a young roster by necessity.

I dunno, New Japan is still really good in ring & I'm not sure why I have little hype for it.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
"Man, this Cactus Jack Perry and shota match is getting better and bett-- oh here comes house of torture"

God drat it. :negative:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

It's so weird. I'm really kind of down on New Japan (see not watching the Anniversary show live despite being around), but when I was updating my spreadsheet last night I looked at the raw numbers & New Japan is running away with promotion of the year so far. 12 MOTYC noms, the next closest is NOAH with 4, then AEW, Dragongate & Stardom with 3 a piece. At the higher end of ratings, I gave Danielson Okada ****¾ & Danielson ZSJ *****, New Japan have 4 of my current top 10 matches of the year (& the only other ***** I gave featured a NJPW wrestler in Dragongate, Shingo). Obviously HoT are not my cuppa but it's easy enough to skip them when you don't watch shows live, I think part of it is the top title has been kind of mid this year & for almost all my time watching current New Japan that's not been the case, so that takes some of the wind out of the sales. The other thing is that Kidd vs HENARE aside, the top matches in New Japan, for me, have featured guys who have either left the company or they only show up infrequently.

Also hard to look past how infuriating the booking of their younger talent has been, especially when compared to All Japan. Granted, All Japan are forced into that because they have about 12 or 13 wrestlers under contract, & of those 8 are under 30, 2 are 37 but only debuted in 2021, & the rest are Kento, Suwama & Ashino. It's a young roster by necessity.

I dunno, New Japan is still really good in ring & I'm not sure why I have little hype for it.

There are certainly things njpw need to improve and they are mostly around the young guys. I just find this sort of disconnect between the English speaking fanbase and the domestic one interesting.

Njpw is doing pretty well business wise. I suspect it's fans energised by Naito becoming the undisputed top guy.

What I'd like to see are good pushes for upper midcarders like taichi and shingo and the young 4 get some big wins. The biggest problem with njpws booking right now is that really nobody is putting together wins. This is a problem when a good chunk of the mainevent has been ripped out.

Next iwgp champion should be zsj but naito probably does need a long run for the health of the promotion

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

got a njc thread up a day late

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

So Oskar & Yuto are on excursion in England with Rev Pro & looking pretty dang confident

https://x.com/Peps_Wrestling/status/1754228426490220761?s=20

Honestly think that's a great look for Nakashima

Yuto already got hurt, broken collarbone :negative:

https://twitter.com/wXwGermany/status/1765072081685979204

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

There are certainly things njpw need to improve and they are mostly around the young guys. I just find this sort of disconnect between the English speaking fanbase and the domestic one interesting.

Njpw is doing pretty well business wise. I suspect it's fans energised by Naito becoming the undisputed top guy.

What I'd like to see are good pushes for upper midcarders like taichi and shingo and the young 4 get some big wins. The biggest problem with njpws booking right now is that really nobody is putting together wins. This is a problem when a good chunk of the mainevent has been ripped out.

Next iwgp champion should be zsj but naito probably does need a long run for the health of the promotion

The interesting thing is that they're clearly aware that the House doesn't play well outside of Japan seeing as they're basically never booked on the US or UK shows.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Skipped the undercard except UE/Wardogs which was rad. Very keen for Gabe vs Newman

I knew Pieter was coming back since she was at a meet and greet with Mikey but actually seeing her with Yuj again is great. THe match itself was as good as it was going to be

e: lol missed the NJC thread when scanning the first page

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It'd be super funny if the first title Okada wins AEW is the NJPW Strong title not gonna lie

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BOSJ final is at Dominion https://www.njpw1972.com/171675

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh good, one fewer Jr HW Title match on the calendar

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
wait, why? that's odd. when is the winner challenging for the title then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lily Catts posted:

wait, why? that's odd. when is the winner challenging for the title then?

Forbidden Door, maybe? Maybe inadvertently spoiling that a foreigner is winning?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1766422381269229677?s=20

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah this will be at the big stardom show in April. Sareee is a childhood njpw/inoki fan and I'd bet one dollar au this match was part of her negotiations to actually work stardom in the first place

I'd not be surprised if she wins either

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Remembered the shows on, good thing I didn't miss...Chase Owens

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Get him out the way nice and early

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Spoiling Stardom shows, a tale as old as time

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

SG Bamboo posted:

Spoiling Stardom shows, a tale as old as time

It was a solid enough match

Now the last two Cinderella matches they were bangers

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Gino and walker are pretty good together

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
gonna catch a bit of this before I go out for Biryani

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Gino and walker are pretty good together

I did like the preshow thing they did where it showed they were roughly equivalent in height, as opposed to small Chris

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Such a lovely finisher. Go back to Apeshit

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

SG Bamboo posted:

Such a lovely finisher. Go back to Apeshit

I don't know why he would be like I'm gonna do a strike as a finish

He sucks at strikes

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
lol I looked at tonights card and saw it was Shingo vs Henare in the main, wondered when Henare got cleared and then saw it was the listing for a year ago today.

Yota vs Cobb should rock the bells, gonna have to miss it though.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Ring announcer Abe's no Milano Collection AT

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Holding someone hostage with a wrench to their throat is a very funny visual

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

SHO's not coming :laffo:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Sho had to take the tour off due to the stress suffered by yoh stealing his title

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Pinpoint jacket throw onto the camera

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The junior champ isn't even entering to his own music but that of another junior, what disrepsect :mad:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

MEAT BOY

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Olegs amazing

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jack Perry: American Heavyweight

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I don't think this is a legal pin

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
When was the last time War Dogs and House of Torture interacted as a unit? Is David Finlay the leader of both factions or are they now completely separate? What's up with Fale, Chase, KENTA and Taiji - are they Bullet Club neutral zone? Do Ace Austin and Chris Bey ever turn up in NJPW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When was the last time War Dogs and House of Torture interacted as a unit? Is David Finlay the leader of both factions or are they now completely separate? What's up with Fale, Chase, KENTA and Taiji - are they Bullet Club neutral zone? Do Ace Austin and Chris Bey ever turn up in NJPW?

I have no idea about the current hierarchy in Bullet Club. It's a mess. the Leftovers seem to get slotted into tags with the other 2 sub-factions but HoT & WD don't seem to interact much (I'm sure they have done, I just can't think of many examples)

I can however say that Austin & Bey haven't been in Japan since December '22's Junior Tag League Final.