Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Answers Me posted:

New Japan having their world title featured on US TV when they’re in the middle of selling tickets for a few US shows seems like a pretty good deal for the company, IMO!

No, the company is dying. AEW is siphoning all its mojo. Sad to see 😔 AEW is the worst thing to happen to NJPW in the past five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

lmao imagine if people actually thought this sort of thing

wait, im being handed a note… oh……….. lmfao

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The worst thing about the partnership is the aew thread(s, there's at least 12 of them already you guys) style of posting leaking into this thread

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gabe Kidd: "Tanahashi might as well kneel down behind Tony Khan and ask how he'd like it"

Goons: "Why wouldn't he? :confused:"

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Tonfa posted:

The worst thing about the partnership is the aew thread(s, there's at least 12 of them already you guys) style of posting leaking into this thread

Be the change you want to see, Tonfa 🫡

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Gaz-L posted:

Gabe Kidd: "Tanahashi might as well kneel down behind Tony Khan and ask how he'd like it"

Goons: "Why wouldn't he? :confused:"

Gabes gimmick is basically an r/njpw poster

The funny thing is that in threads where his promos get translated the Japanese fans are like "gabe makes a lot of good points". Obviously the caveat being these are fans that are hardcore enough to discuss njpw on twitter and may not be reflective of the buy a ticket to see naito fanbase

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I'm not opposed to Mox defending the title on Dynamite but I gotta admit the way this was set up is rather questionable.

He's defending it against a guy (As a non-AEW watcher I have no idea who Hobbs is) who's never shown up in NJPW before, seemingly at random with no build, when he already has a title match scheduled for Dontaku.

Why is this a title match again?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Aesculus posted:

I'm not opposed to Mox defending the title on Dynamite but I gotta admit the way this was set up is rather questionable.

He's defending it against a guy (As a non-AEW watcher I have no idea who Hobbs is) who's never shown up in NJPW before, seemingly at random with no build, when he already has a title match scheduled for Dontaku.

"Callis pulled some strings with NJPW because they owed him for setting up Kenny vs. Jericho."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aesculus posted:

Because Tony wants to promote it as one and Rocky said it was OK.

In fairness, Mox's unit (the Blackpool Combat Club) is technically feuding with the one Hobbs is in (Don Callis' crew) as an extension of Danielson vs Ospreay (Will's in that heel group despite everyone basically counting the seconds until they turn on him), so the match itself makes sense.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Gaz-L posted:

Because Tony wants to promote it as one and Rocky said it was OK.

In fairness, Mox's unit (the Blackpool Combat Club) is technically feuding with the one Hobbs is in (Don Callis' crew) as an extension of Danielson vs Ospreay (Will's in that heel group despite everyone basically counting the seconds until they turn on him), so the match itself makes sense.

IWGP title matches shouldn't feel like an add on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aesculus posted:

when he already has a title match scheduled for Dontaku.

NJPW is scheduling him a title match for Resurgence while he already has a title match scheduled for Dontaku.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

MJeff posted:

NJPW is scheduling him a title match for Resurgence while he already has a title match scheduled for Dontaku.

Almost, they're at least pretending Narita might win at Dontaku

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

Almost, they're at least pretending Narita might win at Dontaku

Should now read "Winner of Winner of Jon Moxley/Will Hobbs//Ren Narita vs Shota Umino"

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Imagine if Ospreay "taking liberties" with Danielson leads to Ospreay vs. Moxley for the IWGP championship in AEW.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

They could do that when Moxley isn't the IWGP champ.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ospreay wins the IWGP Championship, says alright well I gotta do the G1, G1 needs the champ. Alright, well I gotta build the Fall defense so I gotta do the House shows. Alright well I'd better do those Korakuens to build up to the Dome.

Before he knows it he's been living in Japan for three years. Gedo lets out a fiendish chuckle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MJeff posted:

Ospreay wins the IWGP Championship, says alright well I gotta do the G1, G1 needs the champ. Alright, well I gotta build the Fall defense so I gotta do the House shows. Alright well I'd better do those Korakuens to build up to the Dome.

Before he knows it he's been living in Japan for three years. Gedo lets out a fiendish chuckle.

Covid couldn't even manage this.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Njpw had a show last night. The mainevent was quite good

Worst njpw korakuen hall gate since January 2023 and outdrawn by basically all the major promotions that run there recently. Now it's not completely uncommon for njpw to get outdrawn at korakuen. Other promotions tend to run title matches there and njpw just serve up any old garbage

But to be outdrawn by the most recent Noah, ajpw, dragongate and stardom shows there isn't brilliant

Njpw were up about 10% year on year at the box office through to April too.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

811 does seem pretty low but then again the card was your run of the mill road-to multi-man generic stuff, like you said. The last road-to show there was April 3rd and drew nearly 1,200. Maybe too soon to blame it on the world title change, but I guess we'll have to see.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Njpw had a show last night. The mainevent was quite good

Worst njpw korakuen hall gate since January 2023 and outdrawn by basically all the major promotions that run there recently. Now it's not completely uncommon for njpw to get outdrawn at korakuen. Other promotions tend to run title matches there and njpw just serve up any old garbage

But to be outdrawn by the most recent Noah, ajpw, dragongate and stardom shows there isn't brilliant

Njpw were up about 10% year on year at the box office through to April too.

Not time to panic yet. If the LIJ heavy show tonight doesn't draw though...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Noah and All Japan does seem a bit rough. Wouldn't Stardom and Dragongate pulling similar or better numbers be pretty common though, as they're number 2 and 3 anyway?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

The All Japan show was the kickoff of the Champion Carnival, so that 1,100 or so is probably their high-water mark for Korakuen outside of a big Triple Crown defense. I dunno what NOAH's doing, but I've heard they're kinda on an upswing?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/CiaranRH93/status/1782410944586432517?t=k2YGrioohadXgKQ55QXVzQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/CiaranRH93/status/1782513284865802517?t=T5MeciFDoweDNm_hDMoy0w&s=19

And he's totally right.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

nah

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

apophenium posted:

The All Japan show was the kickoff of the Champion Carnival, so that 1,100 or so is probably their high-water mark for Korakuen outside of a big Triple Crown defense. I dunno what NOAH's doing, but I've heard they're kinda on an upswing?

AJPW have done minimum 1,000 at every Korakuen they've run this year. And they did over 1,330 for the Nakajima vs Dempsey match. Opening night of the Carnival was beaten by that, the 14/1 Masa Fuchi Anniversary that had a battle royal for the right to fight an old man & the Nakajima vs Jun Saito show.

Also pointing out that the previous All Japan Korakuen, headlined with Rising HAYATO vs Dan Tamura Junior Title match, did nearly 300 more than this latest New Japan Korakuen

All Japan is on the upswing baby (in Tokyo at least). To be fair, New Japan Korakuen's are just a house show they happen to tape at this point. Which I mean fair enough, it is to them what Shin-Kiba 1stRING & Shinjuku FACE are to everyone else. But it's still funny seeing them do numbers in line with the companies who just close off one side of the venue & use it as the entrance

:hai:

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 22, 2024

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Jungle Boy got a shot at champion SANADA for no reason too. But Tsuji didn't say nothin then. I guess cause they have similar hair. Game respect game...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

apophenium posted:

Jungle Boy got a shot at champion SANADA for no reason too. But Tsuji didn't say nothin then. I guess cause they have similar hair. Game respect game...

Sanada offered an open challenge for Forbidden Door and Jungle Boy was the one who accepted.

He's working, to set up his program with Okada at Forbidden Door.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

Sanada offered an open challenge for Forbidden Door and Jungle Boy was the one who accepted.

Just what njpw needs a guy who will be needed in the mainevent jobbing to okada

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Just what njpw needs a guy who will be needed in the mainevent jobbing to okada

It's fine, he'll get the win back after he signs with AEW in a couple years.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

MJeff posted:

Oh so the champion can circumvent the vaunted IWGP to do what they want? So what's the issue with Mox wanting to wrestle Hobbs?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Seems like the booking for the IWGP really goes to poo poo whenever AEW is involved

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

It's fine, he'll get the win back after he signs with AEW in a couple years.

Can you save the aew posting for one of the 70 aew threads in the forum.

But I will tell you this for free. Njpw had already sold out dontaku by this point last year. Sanada a better champ than moxley?? Many are saying it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The kayfabe Tokyo sports article agrees with me is a hell of an argument

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I dunno, I think putting one of the young guys over the imposing foreigner is a pretty good way to get the young guys over without having to have them beat up on Naito. It's totally possible Naito will win it back at whatever show is at that stadium in Hiroshima. I guess it's kind of dull to be a wait and see guy but we're about to be in the BosJ where the IWGP champ won't really be featured much anyways. I still have faith in Gedo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

apophenium posted:

I still have faith in Gedo.

Absolutely the craziest wrestling-related sentence I've seen all year

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Gedo did Tsuji vs. Goto as a tournament final, that bought him another year with me, minimum.

If he'd had Goto win the tournament, it would've been 10 years.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

apophenium posted:

I dunno, I think putting one of the young guys over the imposing foreigner is a pretty good way to get the young guys over without having to have them beat up on Naito. It's totally possible Naito will win it back at whatever show is at that stadium in Hiroshima. I guess it's kind of dull to be a wait and see guy but we're about to be in the BosJ where the IWGP champ won't really be featured much anyways. I still have faith in Gedo.

I'm pretty sure Naito will win the title at dominion. I don't mind that in isolation but I'd rather a young guy had beat him at sakura genesis.

For the record I don't think reacting gate to gate is good booking. To contrast it with the sister promotion stardom is almost certainly going to draw less than they could next weekend had they just stuck a couple of proven draws in the mainevent and semi main. The promotion has a long term vision and they are going to take a few hits now to try and pull it off. I think this is good booking even if the gates in the immediate present aren't as good as they could be.

But using moxley to draw a gate in the US and maybe a decent Osaka gate for fans buying in on a naito title win is for me not good booking.

With the loss of okada I said that njpw would have ups and downs this year. They need to have some sort of long term vision though.

Obviously this sub forum is packed by ultra defensive aew fans who feel the need to spread the good word but the reality is that 26 year old Ren Narita has been left to build his first iwgp title match with Shota Umino as a Jon Moxley stand in while moxley defends the title against someone the domestic fanbase has never heard of.

This is not good booking

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I wish Tsuji had won at Sakura Genesis, too. Hell, a Gene Blast Shock at last year's Dominion probably would have been the best thing for the company. But I still think Tsuji, Narita, Umino, and Uemura are gonna be huge deals. Maybe I'm naive :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think the real problem is that Ren Narita kinda sucks.