Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

This sucks, guess they'll have to pull the trigger on the Musketeers at the NJC, or finally give Zack the big belt

Tanahashi going from the man who saved New Japan in the mid 00s to killing it in the mid 20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Barry Bluejeans posted:

It certainly feels like it, though I'd be happy for someone with more knowledge of the situation to explain why it's Actually Not That Bad

yeah losing their top guy is really loving bad. nakamura was incredibly over but was decidely number 3 in the pecking order and never even challenged for the heavyweight belt during the br era.

yes this might gice them a needed kick to push new people but its a lot easier to do so when the company feels healthy and you have more than 1 really over established top line guy to do so.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I thought so but I've heard another prominent voice actor recently talk about having to constantly travel to the respective studios for jobs.

the sort of voice actor she is is also a lot closer to being an idol than just a voice actor

she regularly does concerts, commercials, and events and also has a passion for doing theater

Happiness fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 19, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

New Japan has a lot of potential guys lower on the card but certainly not in a position to be THE guy right now. They seem to have recognized this to some extent with their decision to not have their Young Boys spend as long as they have been serving their apprenticeship. There are inherent risks with pushing somebody too quickly so early in their career (ironically, Okada himself is proof that when it works it REALLY works) but it does mean stuff like Yota Tsuji vs. SANADA and Shota Umino vs. Will Ospreay now look like real missed opportunities for a brand new "Rainmaker Shock" type of deal.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The thought occured to me that they might put the belt back on EVIL to pad out the time until they need to pull the trigger on a new main event face, and that's the worst possible timeline

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Have people considered this may be another one of EVIL's nasty tricks?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

SG Bamboo posted:

The thought occured to me that they might put the belt back on EVIL to pad out the time until they need to pull the trigger on a new main event face, and that's the worst possible timeline

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

My out there prediction: TKO buys out Bushiroad.

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

Hotshot the belt to Tsuji NOW!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

TKO is going to be going into cost cutting mode this year as the stock falters, the class action suit looms and they are already warning the TV rights deals won't be as big as expected.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

parent company is worth 65billion us so i have doubts

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i cant believe im going to say this

impeach ace.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i cant believe im going to say this

impeach ace.

Stole Zack's belt, fumbled the Okada ball, let Matt Riddle exist... it's all coming together. Tanahashi's 20 year plan for the destruction of the NJPW brand.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

DarkstarIV posted:

WWE already found out how hard it is for a foreign entity to buy a Japanese company when they tried to buy Noah and Stardom. If any company would take the wrestling promotions from Bushiroad then it would probably be Cyberagent in which case I'd want to know how robust Japanese antitrust laws are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

TKO is going to be going into cost cutting mode this year as the stock falters, the class action suit looms and they are already warning the TV rights deals won't be as big as expected.

Legit I read TKO as Tony Khan (I guess I just ignored the O?) and was confused as to what class action lawsuit he was facing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

it would probably be Cyberagent in which case I'd want to know how robust Japanese antitrust laws are.

According to my deep research into the way big deals like this happen in Japan, the deal will go through unless a shirtless ripped middle-aged Japanese man who might have spent some time in prison beats the poo poo out of a surprisingly ripped middle-aged executive after playing a shitload of Mahjong.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
paraphrasing from SRS: the split was expected by some, but the timing of the announcement surprised everyone. it's said to be an amicable split. no word yet on where he's going. AEW has been hoping to get him, WWE likely hasn't talked with him yet, but he would need NJPW's blessing to appear in the rumble

i'm thinking big bucks tony khan will get this done

Fart Radio fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 19, 2024

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Glad that Okada is finally making it in the big leagues.

Cann't wait for Skipper Kyazu to debut in the midcard, lose to T-Bone Jimbob for three months and then be fed to Brock Lesnar in a 4 minute squash for his final match before being sent to NXT catering hell

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Okada's 100% going to WWE and that should have been obvious once he hired Barry Bloom as an agent. He didn't need to hire an agent to negotiate with BR or Tony, you name a price and either the former cries and says it'll bankrupt the company and Tony hands over a blank check.

You hire Barry Bloom as an agent because you want someone to see how much money you can get from Nick Kahn and Triple H.

Finish the story Cody? nope

Punk finally gets his mania main event? lolno

Rainmaker puts over the Tribal Chief? Ooooohaaaaaaa yessir

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

Okada's 100% going to WWE and that should have been obvious once he hired Barry Bloom as an agent. He didn't need to hire an agent to negotiate with BR or Tony, you name a price and either the former cries and says it'll bankrupt the company and Tony hands over a blank check.

You hire Barry Bloom as an agent because you want someone to see how much money you can get from Nick Kahn and Triple H.

The Elite and Ospreay were all represented by Barry Bloom in their most recent deals.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

That makes zero sense unless your perception of Tony has been rotted out by Twitter

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pylons posted:

The Elite and Ospreay were all represented by Barry Bloom in their most recent deals.

hes a gimmick

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's crazy Chris Jericho and The Elite signed with WWE.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Okada's 100% going to WWE

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

For guys like Ospreay and Jay White, the way the pandemic was handled here and how travel in and out for work visa holders was a black box probably played a big part. For both them and Okada, the value of the yen being as weak as it is (still currently close to $1 : 150 JPY, which is insane) would be a big part of wanting to leave. If Bushiroad is trying to tighten the belt, and that budget doesn't go as far for foreign talent, that's one thing...but if it means they can't meet the demands of Okada? Yikes.

Funniest joke I saw was Okada to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

All jokes aside I can’t imagine Okada somehow not wanting to work at the company two of his best buds are EVPs at. Bucks and Okada helped each other out in huge ways, it’s sort of a no brainer especially if Okada won’t have to relocate and just does a few weeks in USA followed by a few weeks back home as his schedule

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Bluejeans posted:

AJPW officially becomes NXT Japan

All Japan aren't owned by Bushiroad tho

Spent the night playing Like A Dragon for later than intended, finally got into bed at 4am, decided to glance at the forum before bed and confused as to why this thread had so many new posts. Surely people aren't that excited for the Fantasticamania cards.

Yeah, that's big news. Imagining Kawada going to the US in '99...

I suppose the plus is it'll force New Japan to elevate the younger guys before they may otherwise have. That said, huge blow for their house show business.

Okada to WWE is the much funnier option

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pylons posted:

MassRafTer posted:

It's crazy Chris Jericho and The Elite signed with WWE.

Jericho has more value to AEW then WWE at this point, plus AEW lets him call his own shots while WWE he's either being used to put over younger talent or feuding with Baron Corbin.

Ospreay has said he didn't want to move full time to the US, which ruled out WWE. Ospreay also didn't want to fully leave New Japan, which ruled out WWE.

Bucks also have more value to AEW than WWE. AEW they're always going to be featured highly as figureheads of the company. WWE they're another team, plus the Usos have broken up and New Day's trio time is done with Big E's neck injury so the big money matchups for them are gone. Kenny would have value in WWE but if he's wanting to stay attached to the Bucks that's his call.

It's entirely possible that Okada's really wanting to go to AEW and is using Bloom to generate leverage, but why give up an agent's percentage when you're going to get whatever you want without one?

Gumball Gumption posted:

That makes zero sense unless your perception of Tony has been rotted out by Twitter

I'm sorry that Tony's tweets have rotted my perception of him.

Hope is dumb. Always expect the worst.

harperdc posted:

Funniest joke I saw was Okada to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Shohei you deffering son of a bitch

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 19, 2024

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

C. Everett Koop posted:

Always except the worse.

lol

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
goddammit quote

e

i am not here to spell correctly i am here to post

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2LuQ7oOnc4/?hl=en&img_index=1

Alex Shelley posted:

It’s pretty ironic that I lose my @impactwrestling World Title to @moosenation69 the day before @rainmakerxokada returns to TNA. Kazuchika and I have known each other since the first photo here was taken in 2006.

Four years after that, he came to TNA on excursion for exactly 22 months. I remember the first time we shared a hotel room - we stayed up way too late playing GTA and talking about Final Fantasy. He got his own apartment and every week I would stay with him. We were two young wrestlers who wanted to make their marks on the industry but felt stuck; so we studied, trained, and tried to survive, emotionally, mentally.

When this happens? It’s so hard to continue to love wrestling. It’s like a date that saw you enamored with their charm and beauty whereas they see you as someone who’s really nice. We had so many matches, meals, laughs, and video game sessions together.

He stayed with my family during Thanksgiving and when we said goodbye at the airport, before he went back to Japan, we both teared up because we didn’t know if we’d ever really see each other again. As soon as he got home, he sent me the original Rainmaker costume designs and we talked about it as if it were a Japanese Razor Ramon. I suggested the money drop from the ceiling if he gets the chance, and he told me about the name coming from a film Gedo San liked.

Record scratch here, years later, he’s the greatest wrestler of all time (hate to say I told you so) and I have taken the STRANGEST but most PUNK ROCK route to becoming a champion and Chris Sabin is, was, always will be the underrated GOAT: three guys that, 14 years ago, sat backstage watching monitors with @nickjackson, @mattjackson13 and @sensationalamazingred just wanting to wrestle our styles, our ways, finally getting to do so in the main event of a TNA ring while fans chanted one of my best friend’s name.

So yeah, I lost. But life is a journey, and I know in the past two years that I have helped rebuild this place and that I have given it my heart and I loving hope it’s better than it was before I came back. Everything I had. So much so that Kazuchika actually came back to see me in that ring. I’m not crying, you’re crying.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Upon further reflection I'm more bummed out about this than I thought I'd be. When a foreign star leaves it's unfortunate but expected, but Okada has been THE GUY for the entire time I've been following NJPW and it will be weird not to have him around anymore.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

trying to find the positive here, him leaving does free up a spot for someone to step up, so we might see the return of main event tsuji, shingo, maybe goto..........

probably evil.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

trying to find the positive here, him leaving does free up a spot for someone to step up, so we might see the return of main event tsuji, shingo, maybe goto..........

probably evil.

Them giving Goto the title would be really perfect and lead to such funny discourse.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Who's going to be in charge of CHAOS now?!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Okada wasn't aware he was in CHAOS, let alone their leader

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God, YOSHI-HASHI is going to be the new leader of CHAOS :vince:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

leader of the brand new bullet club chaos

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Orange Cassidy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Champ Ishii

:sickos: