Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Ganso Bomb posted:

God that belt loving sucks. Mox’s first move should be to go back to the old IWGP Title, which was a perfect belt.

Also kind of want a Death Jitsu shirt, mostly because our cat growing up was named Jitsu and she is dead.

Tsuji said if he won he was gonna split the belt up and retire the IC title and if that's not enough to make you a Tsuji fan I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Global Grand Slam Mox, love to see it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

This reminds me of when Brock and Angle held the belt, only to have it won back by the emerging king Shinsuke Nakamura as he was flanked by young lions who were about to usher in the new age. Feels like the same aura with Mox—-whoever beats him, be it Tsuji or someone else, will be similarly leading the charge against a backdrop of other young guys slowly climbing up the ladder. Mox has that Final Boss energy so in a few months it’ll make for a crazy victory for whoever is the chosen one (likely Tsuji as idk who else they’d do this with).

I will say it’s about time a title from AEW gets stolen by Japan. International or Continental makes the most sense because they’re uh, international and continental belts. But I really doubt Okada is doing that and idk if they’d do something like that for Roddy. I’d be cool with Strong doing some NJPW matches for that reason though and getting beaten if he still has it by FD though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I think Mox should drop the title to another AEW wrestler, and by another AEW wrestler, I mean Okada.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

This reminds me of when Brock and Angle held the belt, only to have it won back by the emerging king Shinsuke Nakamura as he was flanked by young lions who were about to usher in the new age. Feels like the same aura with Mox—-whoever beats him, be it Tsuji or someone else, will be similarly leading the charge against a backdrop of other young guys slowly climbing up the ladder. Mox has that Final Boss energy so in a few months it’ll make for a crazy victory for whoever is the chosen one (likely Tsuji as idk who else they’d do this with).

I will say it’s about time a title from AEW gets stolen by Japan. International or Continental makes the most sense because they’re uh, international and continental belts. But I really doubt Okada is doing that and idk if they’d do something like that for Roddy. I’d be cool with Strong doing some NJPW matches for that reason though and getting beaten if he still has it by FD though.

This is another good point. Mox hasn't lost a straight up singles by pinfall or submission in NJPW in like 4 years or some poo poo.

I honestly think he's gonna retain against Narita and Shooter, then finally drop it to Naito or more likely Tsuji before the G1, and that'll be that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think naito takes it back in osaka.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DLC Inc posted:

That why I really hope he loses it to Souled Out Ren Narita. It would be very on brand for House of Torture to deprive the fans of the match they want to see (Moxley vs Umino) and Ren's single matches are so far above EVIL's I would be very keen for him to rocket to the top of the stable with a shock win

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SG Bamboo posted:

That why I really hope he loses it to Souled Out Ren Narita. It would be very on brand for House of Torture to deprive the fans of the match they want to see (Moxley vs Umino) and Ren's single matches are so far above EVIL's I would be very keen for him to rocket to the top of the stable with a shock win

This is the one way this title run could piss me off

So yeah, that's happening

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It’ll never happen ever but I’d love Shingo v Mox at FD.

I always hoped they’d give Shingo another small run or even maybe have ZSJ do a run with it but it’s probably not gonna happen since Zack is mostly relegated to the secondary belts.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

It’ll never happen ever but I’d love Shingo v Mox at FD.

I always hoped they’d give Shingo another small run or even maybe have ZSJ do a run with it but it’s probably not gonna happen since Zack is mostly relegated to the secondary belts.

I mean...Shingo DID directly ask Mox for another match after BITV....

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean...Shingo DID directly ask Mox for another match after BITV....

Oh gently caress you’re right, oh baby this title run could cook

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Tsuji said if he won he was gonna split the belt up and retire the IC title and if that's not enough to make you a Tsuji fan I don't know what is.

Saying you will change the title (suspiciously when njpw are selling replica belts) is a sure sign of losing

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I appreciate that for the obligatory first defense against House of Torture Mox gets a Narita that actually cares instead of an EVIL that doesn't

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If Moxley is spending time in Japan maybe he can open a JP branch of BCC with like Shota and Oleg, maybe even Despy since he's been kind of rudderless after Strong Style died. If would also give more combinations for the preview tags so it's not just Souled Out Ren Narita and Dick Togo vs Mox and Shota a bunch

If he's still around in June I have to imagine Moxley doing a deathmatch on the Despe invitational, maybe against Onita's current protege Toi Kojima

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

If he's spending a lot of time in Japan there is loads of cool things he could do. The poster who seems confident on his schedule said he's doing dominion well the despe show is the day after

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If he's spending a lot of time in Japan there is loads of cool things he could do. The poster who seems confident on his schedule said he's doing dominion well the despe show is the day after

:stwoon:

Oh please :pray:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

come to Ichigaya papi

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i sort of remember someone on here talking about what is apparently actually going to happen now with a young guy beating moxley for the championship and taking it back 'for japan' in a sense and possibly getting even more over for that reason but i don't remember who it was or if they said that or if i was asleep and thought it was real. but i remember people didn't seem to like the idea back then either. either real or in a dream. also maybe neither of the young guys actually win it anyway. thanks

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Is AEW ever gonna let one of their many useless titles go to a wrestler in another promotion for once? Or is everyone just gonna let Tony book title defenses of their titles on this tv shows for "exposure" that don't mean anything because he has a million useless titles already.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
First time going to a New Japan show and had a blast! Wild having been there in person both times Moxley won the big one.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I wouldn't mind Ren winning the title, it would just further justify his turn. But also I'd love it if Shota's the one to take the title off Moxley. It's a gamble but I'm really glad they're taking chances with their booking.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Is Moxley the first international grand slam champion or are we counting Hogan winning the tournament version of the IWGP title?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

STING 64 posted:

i think naito takes it back in osaka.

sure hope not; NJPW needs a champ who is young, hungry, full of potential and not held together with desperation and kinesiotape. I want them to have a champ who doesn’t feel like a nostalgia act despite being active.

admittedly I’ve been “idgi why” on Naito for years and my highlight of WK14 was sitting in the women’s section hooting and hollering with delight when KENTA ran in to clobber him then sit on his face while cackling with both belts as every woman around me sobbed and wailed NAITOOOOO like they were at a funeral but still

honestly though. this is a great shakeup and a shot in the arm for Nooj in my opinion and it’s been a while since I’ve been champing at the bit to see where the title scene is going.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Is Moxley the first international grand slam champion or are we counting Hogan winning the tournament version of the IWGP title?

NJPW is calling it the Global Grand Slam, apparently. First to ever win WWE, AEW, and IWGP heavyweight titles. AJ Styles has had TNA, IWGP, and WWE, if you would count the TNA belt.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Kvantum posted:

if you would count the TNA belt.

Christian to NJPW when

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kvantum posted:

NJPW is calling it the Global Grand Slam, apparently. First to ever win WWE, AEW, and IWGP heavyweight titles. AJ Styles has had TNA, IWGP, and WWE, if you would count the TNA belt.

And if we're going that far back, Hogan had IWGP, WWF/E, and WCW. But still, a trio consisting of Hulk Hogan, AJ Styles, and Jon Moxley?

loving Christ.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

the escape goat posted:

Christian to NJPW when

His son did the Unprettier during his match this morning, so surely any second now

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stall_19 posted:

Is AEW ever gonna let one of their many useless titles go to a wrestler in another promotion for once? Or is everyone just gonna let Tony book title defenses of their titles on this tv shows for "exposure" that don't mean anything because he has a million useless titles already.

Careful with the sodium levels there my dude, Mox signed with NJPW before AEW and he's only gonna be champ for a little bit, it'll be okay

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Moxley is no shape or form a NJPW wrestler, he's 100% AEW. No better way to reinforce that you're a second rate promotion than after a promotion takes your top guy after they already took your top 2 foreign guys than putting your top belt on another AEW talent. Pretty much an AEW farm promotion right now.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

Moxley is no shape or form a NJPW wrestler, he's 100% AEW. No better way to reinforce that you're a second rate promotion than after a promotion takes your top guy after they already took your top 2 foreign guys than putting your top belt on another AEW talent. Pretty much an AEW farm promotion right now.

lol seethe more

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The real Grand Slam is Mox winning the top CMLL belt

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Wonder if the Japanese fans are seething as much as the gaijin fans lol.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

fez_machine posted:

lol seethe more

I'm sure I'll be seething more in a couple of months when somehow a Stardom title finds it's way on an AEW wrestler.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Wonder if the Japanese fans are seething as much as the gaijin fans lol.

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1665708198681260032?t=9824lZ3aEhTaK8hxzoGrqw&s=19

The domestic fanbase is mixed but naito is also quite literally the most popular wrestler in Japan so him dropping the title at all would have salt

Negative reactions outside of naito fans is mostly about njpw titles vanishing off to the United States and not being defended in Japan which sorta has been happening (kenny and ftr as an example)

Edit

Lots of fans are positive too because they like mox or think it's bold booking. Japanese people aren't a monolith but they've taken the title off the most popular dude in the country so it's not going to be entirely positive

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 13, 2024

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fez_machine posted:

The real Grand Slam is Mox winning the top CMLL belt

I don't know if he can get to 170

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Will the show go up on World or do I have to buy the replay?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

KungFu Grip posted:

perry leaning into that chant to do a choke hold is A+ playing to the crowd and playing up the situation.

however positive vibes to the scapegoat gimmick, a gimmick that is very much just a heel character questions where jack would go when/if the punk stuff blows over and people stop caring

He'll just get blamed for something else; like losing B&G for the Elite in 2025.

Also: Mox being downcycled and playing ambassador for most of 2024 makes even more sense now. If NJPW fans are upset by this I can't blame them. Between Ospreay and Okada leaving and their guy losing to an AEW guy they gotta be feeling pretty looked over and unloved at the moment. Stay strong NJPW fans. I'm an AEW fan so I don't share your rancor but I understand and respect it.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 13, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drakkel posted:

First time going to a New Japan show and had a blast! Wild having been there in person both times Moxley won the big one.

That's so cool, glad you got to see that show in person, it was fantastic on television and I can only imagine the hootin' and the hollerin' being there live.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The VERY first rumbling I had that this might be in the cards was when Nemeth won the Global Title off Finlay, believe it or not. Why, I asked myself, would NJPW have a truly random outsider win the title that Moxley and Ospreay had gone out of their way to make a huge deal? Maybe, I said to myself, because Mox was about to do something bigger than that..

That was a good read, thanks :) I did find it odd how Mox was kinda gone after Revolution and now it all falls into place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Cavauro posted:

i sort of remember someone on here talking about what is apparently actually going to happen now with a young guy beating moxley for the championship and taking it back 'for japan' in a sense and possibly getting even more over for that reason but i don't remember who it was or if they said that or if i was asleep and thought it was real. but i remember people didn't seem to like the idea back then either. either real or in a dream. also maybe neither of the young guys actually win it anyway. thanks

Thanks for noticing. I was right as usual.