Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The way Mox screamed "NAITO!!!" was loving AWESOME and the pop for it tells you all you need to know.

No way he beats Naito but gently caress me it's gonna be an awesome story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide if the sheer madness of this makes it more or less likely Mox gets a short run with the belt. Either way, what the gently caress

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm just now catching up with recent events, and what the actual gently caress?

They had Finlay beat Mox and Ospreay only to immediately lose to Nic loving Nemeth?

What is Gedo doing?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Brother, last night's show was one of the worst New Japan shows I can ever remember watching. It was astonishing how bad it was.

Tonight's show has been okay but by contrast with yesterday it's been a masterpiece.

Part of me feels like Mox might ACTUALLY win the IWGP Title because otherwise I genuinely don't know why they'd put the title Mox and Ospreay made important on Dolph loving Ziggler.

That and Mox has gotten in the best shape of his life and it makes me wonder if he's doing it for that reason.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

If Mox doesn't win after NJPW produced this, it'll genuinely annoy me.

Also, checking the Japanese upload, the Japanese fans loving love Mox. My favorite comment on there, Google translated:

"Win or lose, I want to see him challenge for the belt, not just once, but over and over again. I want to see more of Jon Moxley, who is one of the most talented and popular wrestlers in the world, and brings his fighting spirit and respect to all the veteran, mid-career, and young wrestlers of the new era.

Also, when [he] said that [his] daughter is the cutest of all the pro wrestling daughters, I don't have any objections, because she's not an idiot, she's really cute."

:3:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat y'all I didn't realize how stacked this card is

Mox gon win

Or not but I hope he does, like, a lot

KILL HIM SUZUKI

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also my boy Shooter better beat the poo poo out of Jack so bad he goes back to AEW over it :colbert:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
CALLED. loving. SHOT.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I honestly wonder if Mox is going to do a Japan tour?

I love Mox, think him as champion as cool, but timing wise it is a surprise!

I've theorized for months that he's literally going to spend the next several months in Japan.

I could write an effortpost but I'm too busy marking right now

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
loving YESSSSSSSSSSS

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay that might be one of the hardest lines of all time

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I wrote a big effortpost as to why I don't think the Nooj crew need to worry about Mox being an absentee champ, would people actually read it, or are they gonna just still be salty?

Because like I said, as someone who watches both NJPW and AEW, I had a gut feeling this might happen for months. This is not just hindsight.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shard posted:

Id read it

The VERY first rumbling I had that this might be in the cards was when Nemeth won the Global Title off Finlay, believe it or not. Why, I asked myself, would NJPW have a truly random outsider win the title that Moxley and Ospreay had gone out of their way to make a huge deal? Maybe, I said to myself, because Mox was about to do something bigger than that.

So I really started to feel like something was off when Mox wasn't on ANY AEW programming like, two weeks after Revolution, and when he and Claudio weren't even in the tag tournament. Hell, even in the lead-up to Revolution, Mox appearances felt almost cursory. First he was moving down the card, and then he literally wasn't there at all.

I REALLY started to get an inkling something might be up when even commentary on AEW TV basically never spoke of Mox outside of a handful of times. Then Battle In The Valley happened and Mox was almost crying with emotion when he called out Naito. As a ginormous Mox mark, I've noticed, he has a different energy about him when he's well and truly fired up. When he really has a fire in his belly, it hits different. The Naito callout was one of those. I suspect everyone involved knew then that Mox was going to beat Naito. It felt insane for me to think that but I had a suspicion. Then he continued to not be on AEW TV. With every passing week, I began to think more and more that what was happening here was he was at home with his family for a couple of months because everyone knew he'd spend at least the next couple months in Japan.

When NJPW released that mini-doc promo thing, I was all but positive, because the way Renee speaks in that package, it's like she already knew it was gonna happen, which obviously she would, because she's his wife and the mother of his very young daughter. If Mox had been being regularly booked on AEW television over the last month and a half, I'd absolutely agree with everyone here questioning the decision. But even in his autobiography, Mox talks about NJPW revitalizing his love of pro wrestling before AEW had even put on a show. New Japan was the place where Jon Moxley was reintroduced to the world. AEW might have been where he's spent MOST of his time, but you never forget your first.

I also suspect Naito may have actually had interest in doing this. Why? This was Mox's dream. This was something he wanted to do for himself and his legacy. Naito just had his own equivalent of that in the whole WK saga. I honestly feel like tonight might have been Naito saying "I got my dream, now I'm gonna pay it forward and give someone else theirs."

I genuinely don't get the whole narrative of "Oh, Tony is taking NJPW over a barrel here." Mox, at least for the last month and a half, has been more of an NJPW guy than an AEW one. And if you read the comments under the JAPANESE upload of that hype package, the Japanese fans don't REALLY see Mox as much of an outsider anymore. They love him, and they feel the fact that he respects NJPW and brings his all to the promotion any time he's there, and will work with anyone, vet to young boy, and put his whole soul in getting them over in the process. Hell, he basically had a HUGE part in molding one of the guys they see as a potential future Ace. I think that matters.

Naito and Tanahashi have both put Mox over huge at this point. Do any of you really think they'd have done that if they believed Jon Moxley to be the type to half-rear end anything? gently caress no. Fact is, Mox hasn't been on AEW TV in a month and a half, and has barely even been mentioned. My guess is what's happening here is they're gonna have him do a short run as a full-time champ to let him have his dream of the Global Triple Crown and to maybe draw some more American eyes to NJPW World, then he drops the title in a couple months tops, maybe even in a rematch with Naito at FD, then Mox returns to being an AEW guy primarily again. I love the idea of Mox doing another G1, but honestly I think he'll drop it before then.

I think what probably happened is, Jon expressed a desire to do this to TK and the NJPW higher ups literally months ago, and everyone agreed. TK, out of respect for both the full-time AEW folks who weren't about to become top champ in another company, started working Mox down the card a bit, letting other AEW talents grow and shine and also letting Jon start to take something of a vacation and spend time with his family. That started in earnest after Revolution, and then here we are.

If y'all can stomach an EVIL run, I think Mox will do just fine, and I don't think it's gonna be a long run, so just enjoy the ride.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

This reminds me of when Brock and Angle held the belt, only to have it won back by the emerging king Shinsuke Nakamura as he was flanked by young lions who were about to usher in the new age. Feels like the same aura with Mox—-whoever beats him, be it Tsuji or someone else, will be similarly leading the charge against a backdrop of other young guys slowly climbing up the ladder. Mox has that Final Boss energy so in a few months it’ll make for a crazy victory for whoever is the chosen one (likely Tsuji as idk who else they’d do this with).

I will say it’s about time a title from AEW gets stolen by Japan. International or Continental makes the most sense because they’re uh, international and continental belts. But I really doubt Okada is doing that and idk if they’d do something like that for Roddy. I’d be cool with Strong doing some NJPW matches for that reason though and getting beaten if he still has it by FD though.

This is another good point. Mox hasn't lost a straight up singles by pinfall or submission in NJPW in like 4 years or some poo poo.

I honestly think he's gonna retain against Narita and Shooter, then finally drop it to Naito or more likely Tsuji before the G1, and that'll be that.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SG Bamboo posted:

That why I really hope he loses it to Souled Out Ren Narita. It would be very on brand for House of Torture to deprive the fans of the match they want to see (Moxley vs Umino) and Ren's single matches are so far above EVIL's I would be very keen for him to rocket to the top of the stable with a shock win

This is the one way this title run could piss me off

So yeah, that's happening

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

It’ll never happen ever but I’d love Shingo v Mox at FD.

I always hoped they’d give Shingo another small run or even maybe have ZSJ do a run with it but it’s probably not gonna happen since Zack is mostly relegated to the secondary belts.

I mean...Shingo DID directly ask Mox for another match after BITV....

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kvantum posted:

NJPW is calling it the Global Grand Slam, apparently. First to ever win WWE, AEW, and IWGP heavyweight titles. AJ Styles has had TNA, IWGP, and WWE, if you would count the TNA belt.

And if we're going that far back, Hogan had IWGP, WWF/E, and WCW. But still, a trio consisting of Hulk Hogan, AJ Styles, and Jon Moxley?

loving Christ.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stall_19 posted:

Is AEW ever gonna let one of their many useless titles go to a wrestler in another promotion for once? Or is everyone just gonna let Tony book title defenses of their titles on this tv shows for "exposure" that don't mean anything because he has a million useless titles already.

Careful with the sodium levels there my dude, Mox signed with NJPW before AEW and he's only gonna be champ for a little bit, it'll be okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Either way I look forward to the impending Death Of Ren Narita