Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I think eithe4 Tsujii/Shooter or even as a dark horse Hiromu wins the cup this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Last time Japanese commentary was though I'm not sure if it was region locked

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

And like Dominion or Forbidden Door being Mox/Shooter for the title makes sense!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While they only put 3500 tickets on sale apparently it looks like the Chicago show has sold most or all of those according to Dave so it looks like having an actual big match to promote before tickets go on sale actually helps sell tickets!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If Naito is healthy enough I can see him holding the title till Dominion and dropping it to Hiromu. Moving Hiromu up to heavy seems a lot more likely now

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fans want a long Naito run so you have to figure he has the belt till Dominion. You probably don't want any of the new guys to face him before than so they don't get cooled down but I can see a Reiwa being the Dominion challenger and winning the belt to take it through the G1

The other option is to probably just move everyone up to heavyweight but keep the JR title as a high speed/flying title for light guys and push Hiromu to the moon. It's risky but Hiromu is super popular and I think people will take to him as the champ

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They probably won't but if Despy and Hiromu want to move up to heavy I don't think Gedo and New Japan says no

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like Hiromu and Despy are popular enough they can fill the void at the top of the card and Dominion main event of Naito/Hiromu feels like it has enough story to sell tickets

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Taichi doesn't want to travel so it's Taichi's time to shine!

Anyway yeah they're kinda of behind the 8-ball given even if tickets recover they can't compete with US TV money. Sadly it looks Japan is becoming like the smaller soccer leagues that don't have big TV money

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's terrible timing on the injury for Wato as he felt like he was close to putting everything together after a strong 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wrestle Kingdom 18 was a fun show live and if I want going to the Canucks game I'd rewatch it tonight!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I didn't get the House till I saw them live in Japan and then I got them and I don't know how to deal with that now

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Sho is creative but EVIL's problem in LIJ was his matched felt samey and jts the same in HOT.

Also the act getting its start as a heavy heat act during clap crowds was really really really dumb

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The post main event angle was so good and I got worked so hard on it lamo. Just a real good piece of business

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I know some argued it was the best match of the year and that year had Omega/Okada 3 and if it wasn't for the injury I could see more people thinking it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

yeah it blew my mind when I learned that Okada/Omega 1 was their least good match. There's a reason Big Dave rated the series like that

I've seen some argue the g1 match is the lesser of the 4 which I can see but than it being more fast-paced than any of the other 3 make it the favorite for others

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That whole run was good even the Fale match was surprisingly fun

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TJP is gonna turn on Akira isn't he? On one hand I think a big singles JR run would be great for him but otoh Catch 22 is a legit great team and it'd be shame if breaks up

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I suspect with Will and Okada both leaving we'll have some major faction shake up with Chaos and UE breaking up and new units forming. Hell Bishamon would be a great faction name

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maybe something through Shooter but with actual BCC guys? Unlikely

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Where would you hold that match? Rev Pro?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lamo they dubbed over High Energy do they no longer have the rights?

Still as much as I love High Energy Go Ace is just better

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Losing Coughlin too would suck but Gabe Kidd is the future star so if he's still around that's all that matters

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Naito probably gets and needs a reign till Dominion so I'm not sure you want ZSJ winning the cup and losing again. I can see him winning at Dominion and holding it through G1 and than getting a match at Wembley and than losing it in the fall to a young guy

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like I'd love for Mox to win to drop it to shooter but Naito needs a decently long reign and NJPW needs him to have one too. And given his current health this probably is the only time to get one

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It'd actually be the most Naito thing ever if they planned a long title reign for Naito only for him to get hurt and vacate it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Greekonomics posted:

It's back up but it's been edited out (it goes straight from his ring entrance to Walker's "WOAH!".)

I kinda think it was supposed to be a Kamen Rider reference though:

But it's for the best that they cut it out.

I can see this being what Ishimori thought but it went wrong. Still yikes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'm not sure who you have win the Cup as Naito probably will and should retain. Maybe Tsuji or Ren? Definitely Shota should win his next title match and unless he gets the title shouldn't win the Cup

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not to mentiont hey also have to decode when the Japanese paper/magazine is working/be worked or if is actually giving legit business info

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not a bad field though I did expect hiromu to be in it. Not sure who wins it thought I do know Jack Perry beating shooter is gonna be something

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

On one hand I get probably not wanting to run Shota/Naito right now as Shota needs to win his next title match and Naito should at least hold it till Dominion....But you kinda of telegraphed him posing pretty bad here so lamo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Good for him. Now I don't have to see him for a while. And he'll get to spend more time with his family. Works for everyone.

New Japan is in this weird place with me right now where I like lots of the wrestlers but just have no faith in the booking. Well, I say weird. It feels frustratingly normal, it's the NOAH bit.

To be somewhat fair to New Japan the guys they have beating Tsuji/Shota/Uemura are under 40 unlike NOAH. It's just you know House of Torture!

Rick posted:

I think they should push them but also I think people here underestimate how successful Naito is and that those guys developing another year or two with him on top is okay.

Yeah they're in a weird spot in that even if Okada wasn't leaving this feels like it should be a long reign for Naito and they really can't push it down the road given how banged up Naito is. But they 100% also need to get the young guys up to main event levels

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thankfully EVIL is stuck in NEVER belt land now so I doubt he gets a shot till late spring or fall

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tom got decently over during his G1 run too!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It'd be super funny if the first title Okada wins AEW is the NJPW Strong title not gonna lie

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's a real good signing for both sides as Gabe is ready to be a top star for New Japan but probably would be lost in AEW's current line up and well...Fed is the fed

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine it has to be real serious since it seemed like he was going to at least make the finals. Hope he feels better and it's not super serious

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave suggesting Moxley should win the title and I'm like...they want to build up Business in Japan so why would they put it on a part timer

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They need someone who can move tickets in Japan and I'm not sure Mox is that. And Shooter beating Mox for the title would be a great story for overseas fans I think Shooter ending a long Naito reign would mean way more in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I think as people have said their is a disconnect between Japanese fans and English on House of Torture. Like being at Wrestle Kingdom live and seeing the heat Evil got when he tried interrupt Naito's victory speech made me finally get HoT.

Now do they need to mix things up and maybe stop the run ins on every match? Yeah...But it's an over act

Also drat cool shirts too