Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I'd guess he might do another angle with Finlay in San Jose to set up a title match at the next US show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What the hell is going on with Tama? EVIL is listed as the Never champ on the website now?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean... April isn't that far to Forbidden Door... May is usually BOSJ so the heavyweight champ isn't even on the tour normally...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Announcing Ospreay vs Okada for San Jose helped there, I think too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

So if one of Okada's last matches is putting over one of the young guys, who should it be? Shota and Tsuji both feel like they have their own 'mountains' to climb, Ren Narita kinda just sucks. Is it Uemura by default?

Kaito would be my pick if he's jumping over or even if NOAH are continuing to loan him out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave brought up a good point on Observer Radio that no matter what they do going forward will carry a big risk

Tana's obviously near the end
Naito's obviously near the end
Suzuki's obviously near the end
Finlay's not ready
SANADA needs a break
Ospreay and Okada are gone at the same time just like Styles and Nakamura were gone at the same time
If you push Tsuji, Shota, or Yuya to the Okada/Ospreay/Styles/Nakamura level they’re obviously going to be wanted by US companies/WWE/etc just like that level was. It’s no longer a one-off or fluke that what happened with Styles/Nakamura happened, it’s the standard going forward. You're building someone up so your audience can notice them, but your audience won't be the only one/your audience has crossover with the people who are eager to poach because they have trouble making their own stars. Doing the work for them

I think it's less of a risk with the domestic guys than with the foreign talent because while it's certainly different today than the 1980s, there's still a clear reticence to push people whose English is either limited or has a noticeable accent in the big US companies. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's why Khan and AEW haven't made a play for Giulia. Basically, if WWE end up with both Nakamura and Okada, I wouldn't be overly worried about them making a play for Shota or Tsuji successfully in the near future, because both sides are likely to feel that there's not room.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, when's Kiyomiya's deal with NOAH up? Given how little CyberAgent seem to give a poo poo about pushing him versus how polished and finished a product he is, NJPW should probably make a play if he's remotely available.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, longer deals might work out for everyone, because you might be able to overpay on the first year, and save money in the long term from the office's standpoint, plus the knowledge that you can push guys without much risk, and the talent get job security and more money short term.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, the upcoming shows are gonna be a pretty good buffet of what the promotion has to offer now. You get Okada's farewell tour, the big United Empire/Bullet Club cage match sending off Ospreay, SANADA vs Naito... and Dolph Ziggler in a main event.

Also I hope to god they're putting the NEVER title on Shooter because they need to plant a flag with at least a couple of the new guys soon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Chris is great on commentary and Walker's very enthusiastic which helps a bunch. They'll usually get one of the English speaking wrestlers on commentary too, so HENARE or Rocky Romero or someone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, much like AEW (and a lot of Japanese promotions, honestly) the big thing in NJPW is factions, the key ones currently being:

Los Ingobernables de Japon : The Japanese spin-off of the CMLL based Ingobernables faction which has pretty well outstripped the original in relevance (despite said original being founded by Rush and Andrade)
Lead by the current world champion Tetsuya Naito, they started off as a bunch of misfits who were rebelling against the office, full on heels who would cheat and disrespect tradition. Except Naito in particular, and eventually the group as a whole, got over as faces because a lot of Japanese fans related to that feeling of 'gently caress the boss, I tried following the rules and didn't get poo poo'.

Current members: Naito, Hiromu Takahashi (junior heavyweight/cruiserweight nutcase who managed to get a cat stuffy over), BUSHI (wears a mask, exists), Titan (actual luchador, is rad), Shingo Takagi (former world champ, built like a brick shithouse, just did a death match with Mox), Yota Tsuji (giant werewolf man who does a rad spear)

United Empire: Mainly foreigners, this is Will Ospreay's group. They have a loose 'organised crime family' gimmick, again started as heels (notable for a very poorly received and thought out angle where Ospreay hit his then-girlfriend and current NXT wrestler Bea Priestly with a cutter to show how bad he was) but have sort of gotten over as face-leaning tweeners due to Ospreay being respected.

Current members: Ospreay, Aussie Open (both technicalities), Jeff Cobb, TJ Perkins (you might know these two), Great O-Khan (does a quasi Mongol emperor gimmick), HENARE (Maori tough guy), Francisco Akira (Italian pretty boy who developed an edge as part of the group), Callum Newman (low man on the pole currently) and occasional manager Gideon Gray (absolutely obnoxious Callis style heel in the west, but weirdly over as a lil birthday boy comedy heel in Japan)

Bullet Club/War Dogs: You probably know Bullet Club. Once Juice and Jay left Japan, the faction was taken over by David Finlay (son of yes, that Finlay) who's had... mixed success with the rebranding of the stable as a group of young, vicious killers.

Current members: Finlay (current global champion, think the Intercontinental or International title), Gabe Kidd (loudmouth English hooligan), Clark Connors (weird cowboy guy, looks like Wish.com Adam Page), Drilla Moloney, Alex Coughlin (insanely strong boi with a moustache), and manager Gedo

House of Torture: ....look... they're seemingly really over domestically and sell a lot of merch. Basically HEAAAAT the stable. A splinter group of Bullet Club featuring mostly the original group's Japanese membership, led by former LIJ member, ex-world champ and current NEVER champion (kind of the tertiary singles title) EVIL.

Current members: EVIL, SHO (former Rocky Romero protege turned wrench wielding gremlin), Yujiro Takahashi, Dick Togo (assistant booker and part time wrestler), Yoshinobu Kanemaru (lowkey excellent cruiser with a 'guy swilling whiskey on the front stoop' kind of gimmick), Ren Narita (former protege of Katsuyori Shibata who recently turned heel)

Just 5 Guys: The newest group, led by former LIJ member SANADA and the remnants of Minoru Suzuki's Suzuki-gun. Despite being formed from the heelish Suzuki-gun and a vague betrayal of Naito, they're up there with LIJ as pretty much pure faces.

Current members: SANADA, Taichi (has kind of a J-pop idol gimmick), TAKA Michinoku (you probably know him), DOUKI (forum fave, little goblin of a Japanese lucha guy who carries a pipe), Yuya Uemura (young guy who spent the last few years in TNA)

TMDK : The Mighty Don't Kneel. Punk themed group led by Zack Sabre Jr, made of foreign guys that initially shared history in NOAH

Current members: ZSJ, Mikey Nichols and Shane Haste (sometimes referred to as TMDK on their own, long time Aussie tag team), Bad Dude Tito (US indie guy, good hoss), Robbie Eagles (fantastic Aussie flyer), Kosei Fujita (young guy Zack took under his wing initially to gently caress with another wrestler on the roster during an angle, has developed into him graduating to the 'main roster' as a legit member of the group)

CHAOS: Dunno what this is, sounds fake.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 27, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, like, with SHO, Nobu and Narita, the House actually has more good wrestlers than bad now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Evil... TURNED heel? I'm gonna have to read up on the history of that guy if he wasn't always a heel with his schtick

He was part of LIJ and so turned babyface when the rest of that group did in about 2018 or so? He was basically babyface Undertaker, spooky druid gear, grim reaper scythe, just better in the ring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

That's insane. I knew there's some obvious overlap of NJPW/AEW Bullet Club stuff but that's a stacked lineage.

I miss Kenny :( while he's out I might get caught up on his run in the Golden Lovers from old VOD stuff.

Edit-- whoops that was most in another promotion in Japan

If it's on the updated NJPW World, I'd definitely check out the Lovers vs the Bucks from one of the San Jose shows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Germansimp posted:

Only if it turns out he was running BC all along and was just using Finlay as a scapegoat/distraction while he prepared himself to dethrone Naito and become the real champion of Bullet Club.
A scapegoat in Bullet Club you say....

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The UE vs War Dogs cage match is being done under War Games rules, neat!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I could see ZSJ beating Danielson and calling out Okada for the 24th. If Okada's in full 'gently caress them kids' mode and won't put over Kaito, Shota or Fujita, then may as well see if he'll lie down for Zack.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Backstage Danielson admitted he's not the greatest technical wrestler in the world anymore, it's ZSJ

Also said if anywhere else is willing to have it, they've both won in their own company and neither has been by tapout, he's fine with a 2-out-of-3-falls with a submission fall mandatory in a neutral (not AEW or New Japan) company to settle the score for good :getin:

The best part is even counting the previous matches from 15 years ago? They're still even. 3 falls a piece

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

apophenium posted:

I just watched the replay and when Bone Soldier Jr. did the salute Walker said "Whoa! Okay." and then went on to describe some changes to the card

Probably the only way to actually deal with it, tbh. He seems like a smart young man with a good head on his shoulders.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NienNunb posted:

I don’t wish to speak hyperbolically but that Danielson/Sabre match is the best match I’ve seen since the start of the Pandemic

Huh. For me it's only the best match I've seen since the first one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
ZSJ and Naito are maybe the most established rivalry in the promotion right now, so I'd say pull the trigger, Zack deserves it, and he could drop it at Dominion pretty comfortably.

Hell, put him defending 2 out of 3 falls against Danielson on the Ontario or Chicago shows and you could probably sell out either building.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sooper Gila posted:

Yeah I was pretty impressed with Nemeth, I'd heard him compared to Curt Henning a lot and I can see that, his selling was fantastic. I was glad to see him for the first time with someone like Finlay as I can get a better idea how good he is. His offense is still really American, I think he'd likely fit in better in AEW or TNA than here unless he changes that up a bit though.

Yeah, his big influences are pretty nakedly Hennig and Michaels
Honestly that makes Tanahashi maybe making the call to bring him in make sense.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 23, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

Christ there’s no one left

Eh, Suzuki's not washed but he's clearly been shunted to Dad territory and I doubt he's happy there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Power Windows posted:

Yes No No
No No No
No Yes Yes

Harsh on GOD.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also kind of fascinating that they clearly know that the HOT aren't over in the West, given that they're never booked on any of the NJPW US shows or Forbidden Door. But they're also not really willing to put them over on top again either domestically, so... like... they're just kind of 2017 Suzuki-Gun but without the 'we're killers between the ropes who just love fighting too much to stop' vibes?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's a world where I can see Perry make the semis, actually.
If he beats Shota, the next guy he should plausibly lose to is SANADA. And they do have history from last year's Forbidden Door...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ziggler vs Tana is on for Sakura Genesis, btw.

Bad form, btw, spoiling that he won't lose the belt in TNA :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

I'll chime in as an AEW fan who used to watch NJPW but fell off hard during the pandemic. It's this:

Especially when Yuj/Yano is the next match in the bracket below them. I don't remember where I saw it (MOTYC thread?) but whoever said Gedo relies too heavily on "they're young, they can get over later" and constantly beats any guys with potential where they lose any credibility was spot on. It's a big part of why I fell off hard - especially when all the guys I liked left / got old.

That was me. I think it was the AEW hellthread, actually. I was saying Tony Khan has a tendency to do the same, mostly thinking of guys like Lee Moriarty, the Martins and until very recently, Danny Garcia.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Nic Nemeth's biggest issue is he'd been in the fed for far too loving long past the point that anyone either in the audience or behind the scenes gave a poo poo.

Like, he's never been bad in the ring, albeit very blatant about who he's cribbed from, but after the 25th time in WWE he cut the nearly-crying "I'm gonna put it all on the line ONE. MORE. TIME!" promo who on earth could care about him. (I pointedly remember him doing about 4 of these in a feud with the Miz about 5 years ago, leading to a 'he wins or gets fired' stip and everyone in PSP wanted him to lose. He was the babyface)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The man called M posted:

Just wondering, I know New Japan is in a state of change, but why are most if not all of you saying, "I wish New Japan would push (Insert Gaijin here)!" It's making it sound like you just want classic All Japan but without the Four Pillars!

:confused: I think pretty much everyone's been saying 'they should push Shota/Tsuji/Uemura'?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Yeah I don't quite get the take the title off naito asap discourse from the English speaking fanbase. I appreciate his eyeball/knee/straw hair isn't long for this world but they absolutely need him on top.

The guy can still go (although he's obviously not as good as he was) and is still the most popular wrestler in the country. Not that they can't start pushing the young guys but Naito holding for the year is probably sensible. Njpw has actually had a strong start to the year at the box office

No one's saying Shota absolutely needs to win the world title but they need to plant a flag soon to show that Naito isn't the basket holding literally every egg.

It'd be a big swing, and leaving it on Naito is absolutely safer, but putting it on Mox and then having him pass the torch to Shota would be bold and could cement a new top star who isn't falling apart.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 28, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

...why would you not want Umino getting the rub of beating the top dude in the company, but instead to have him go over a part-timer?

3 reasons: 1 - You can save Naito/Shota for a main event, maybe in Osaka, next year.
2 - In my idea both title changes would be in the US, and Mox is just a bigger star there than Naito.
3 - There's the storyline aspect of Shota beating his mentor to finally come into his own as The Guy.

fez_machine posted:

lmao every idea a western fan has is put the belt on my fave non-japanese wrestler

I didn't say to put the belt on Orange Cassidy or Eddie Kingston, but it would be rad.

(Also my idea was to use the non-Japanese wrestler as a belt pillow to put over the young Japanese guy)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Bluejeans posted:

congratulations to your next NJPW World TV champion...

*pulls raffle from box, sighs*

...Bobby Fish

I mean, if they desperately want an ex-UFC guy with a wacky line in entrance gear who can grapplefuck... just put it on Filthy Tom?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Feel bad for the New Japanailures, the action you wish you could get is in CMLL.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1763778295760379913
Hmmmm
https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1763808880365076702

Answers Me posted:

Why does Matt Riddle have a football coach? :confused:

Lexical ambiguity

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sooper Gila posted:

Select excerpts from this glorious interview:
https://www.njpw1972.com/171577

Pfft... finding the world in an atlas is just living by The Man's rules, Naito don't roll like that

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

There are certainly things njpw need to improve and they are mostly around the young guys. I just find this sort of disconnect between the English speaking fanbase and the domestic one interesting.

Njpw is doing pretty well business wise. I suspect it's fans energised by Naito becoming the undisputed top guy.

What I'd like to see are good pushes for upper midcarders like taichi and shingo and the young 4 get some big wins. The biggest problem with njpws booking right now is that really nobody is putting together wins. This is a problem when a good chunk of the mainevent has been ripped out.

Next iwgp champion should be zsj but naito probably does need a long run for the health of the promotion

The interesting thing is that they're clearly aware that the House doesn't play well outside of Japan seeing as they're basically never booked on the US or UK shows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lily Catts posted:

wait, why? that's odd. when is the winner challenging for the title then?

Forbidden Door, maybe? Maybe inadvertently spoiling that a foreigner is winning?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Was there a reason they didn't pull the trigger on Devitt/Balor going up to heavyweight?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
lol gottem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

Oh yeah, Moxley's here

Let's be honest this is why he's here in the first place