Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's either a cute little angle or an absolutely incredible way to cover for a botch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Naito was always the better man for New Japan. Sad that it took everybody so long to realize but some of us always knew.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
True, but he was also Captain New Japan. Which means he was also Bone Soldier.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hiromu's longterm character arc is that he wants to hold the IWGP Jr. and Heavyweight Championships at the same time. He explicitly wants to win the Heavyweight championship AS the Jr. Heavyweight Champion. It'll be really weird if they never pay that off.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Didn't NJPW used to do dual contracts with RoH? They probably need to start doing that with AEW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did a little bit of catch-up. Thoughts:

- The interference in Tsuji vs. EVIL was hilarious. At least they're better at it than the Bloodline, gently caress this one at a time poo poo, everybody run in and just beat the gently caress outta the guy at once.
- Jail for Tsuji. Jail 100 years. Jailed for crimes of defeating our special boy Hirooki. :(
- Jesus christ, Yoh might be the unluckiest injury I've ever seen. I felt really bad for him. And Sho is still champion, so I also feel bad for me.
- Tsuji vs. Naito was fun but never hit that next gear I was waiting for. There was also a weird spot where Tsuji hit the Spear on Naito but he was the one that was selling afterwards. I get that he had been hit by a Running Destino, but he just hit his spear and then Naito was in control again, it was weird. I suspect this was originally gonna be Naito vs. Finlay and that match woulda fuckin' stunk, so, I'm fine with this.

I think Mox is doin' the J-O-B on Friday, but, we'll see.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is supposed to be the definitive run of Naito's career, I see zero argument for him to drop to Moxley, considering
1) It would totally scuttle that story.
2) It doesn't put over any of the Reiwa guys, which is what the point of this title run should be, and a quickie title run for Mox wouldn't accomplish that better than a long uninterrupted run from Naito would. Also, a quickie switch back-and-forth where Mox loses it back to Naito at Dominion or Forbidden Door just breaks up the reign and dilutes the rub.
3) It means the champion isn't on all the shows, which given New Japan's business right now, just seems like a bad idea to me.

If you wanted to use Moxley as the in-between to get from Naito to Tsuji, I can see an argument for that, but I think you would do that later on. Like, Moxley beats Naito at New Beginning after WK19, then Tsuji wins the New Japan Cup for the second year in a row and avenges Naito by beating Moxley? That'd be something you can really sink you teeth into. But if the goal is to get the belt to, say, Umino. I don't think going Naito > Moxley > Umino is better than just having Umino beat Naito who's been holding the belt for a year.

If we're gonna do a passing-of-the-torch kinda match from Mox to Umino, I think that'd be better with the Global championship? You can have Mox beat Nemeth at, I dunno, Forbidden Door, then have Mox defend the belt between Japan and AEW to put western eyes on it to build up to Mox vs. Umino at WK19.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 12, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So yeah what's the deal do I gotta pay extra for Windy City Riot?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, it, uh.

It kinda feels like AEW shoulda tried to get this reaction for themselves. :lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao Shooter doing the ohhh ohhh ohhhh oohhh ohhh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh my god, they're chanting GTS.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, I know it's Chicago and I know NJPW crowds are normally hot, but dude, Perry looks like a fuckin' million bucks right now.

Shota. :toot:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, that feels like a write-off for Jack in NJPW.

Give this dude a big fuckin' push, Tony.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Daryl is giving up the mount to Ali, the disrespect.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
wtf keep this goat slayer away from our precious scapegoat.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
THE ASSWANG?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

United Empire makes sense given the War Games match from Feb, but i'm a little sad that the out-there idea of Edge and Mark Briscoe didn't happen. Mostly cuz Edge doing a plunder match in New Japan would be bizarre.

Copeland and Briscoe's music hitting on a New Japan show woulda been nuts. This crowd would've lost it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Get Tekk'd, bitch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Now walk out of New Japan forever, thanks, bye.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This feels like Nemeth checking off a bucket list item.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So the top three of that list would have to be Okada, Tanahashi and Inoki in that order, right?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well, that's a little annoying.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
ahahahahaahahaha

okay maybe House of Torture is okay.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Crooked Jon Moxley was going to give preferential treatment to his nepobaby protege Shooter and the representative of the working man, the soul of New Japan, Ren Narita stepped in to make things right.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Good to see they're getting Finlay some singles wins to prep him for winning the title at Dominion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I feel like there's no way they could possibly put the stip "and you must drive a Mazda" into the air without already knowing they're gonna do it, right.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Better be careful guys, we wouldn't wanna devalue the belt that just spent 8 months on Sanada.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

forkboy84 posted:

It's OK, MJeff never really forgave New Japan for KENTA attacking Naito at Wrestle Kingdom, despite it being absolutely hilarious & the best thing KENTA has done in New Japan since he turned on Shibata & beat the poo poo out of a guy who they wouldn't clear to wrestle.

I don't see what me being right about that being a dumb, unnecessary angle has to do with Sanada being a lameass champion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Personally, I think it was unnecessary for all of those lumberjacks to die. It's a vital industry.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aesculus posted:

when he already has a title match scheduled for Dontaku.

NJPW is scheduling him a title match for Resurgence while he already has a title match scheduled for Dontaku.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ospreay wins the IWGP Championship, says alright well I gotta do the G1, G1 needs the champ. Alright, well I gotta build the Fall defense so I gotta do the House shows. Alright well I'd better do those Korakuens to build up to the Dome.

Before he knows it he's been living in Japan for three years. Gedo lets out a fiendish chuckle.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

apophenium posted:

Jungle Boy got a shot at champion SANADA for no reason too. But Tsuji didn't say nothin then. I guess cause they have similar hair. Game respect game...

Sanada offered an open challenge for Forbidden Door and Jungle Boy was the one who accepted.

He's working, to set up his program with Okada at Forbidden Door.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Just what njpw needs a guy who will be needed in the mainevent jobbing to okada

It's fine, he'll get the win back after he signs with AEW in a couple years.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Gedo did Tsuji vs. Goto as a tournament final, that bought him another year with me, minimum.

If he'd had Goto win the tournament, it would've been 10 years.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So uh.

Just checking, NJPW didn't just drop my card info in a hallway in Korakuen, did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
1) Will Resurgence be up for "free" on NJPW World eventually or will it always cost an additional nineteen and ninety nine.
2) If it's the former, when.
3) If it's the latter, is it worth an additional nineteen and ninety nine. I see the main event was 34 goddamn minutes, was it a good 34 or a cringey padded out 34?