Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Are they really bringing in Matt Riddle? I mean jesus christ I know Japanese companies don't even pretend to give a poo poo but even if you ignore the sexual assault claims (you should not, obviously), how many weeks until the gets stopped at the border with weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

What the hell is going on with Tama? EVIL is listed as the Never champ on the website now?

https://x.com/njpwglobal/status/1745280462518665492?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Doesn't call anyone a oval office 0/10 not a real Brit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

AJPW officially becomes NXT Japan

All Japan aren't owned by Bushiroad tho

Spent the night playing Like A Dragon for later than intended, finally got into bed at 4am, decided to glance at the forum before bed and confused as to why this thread had so many new posts. Surely people aren't that excited for the Fantasticamania cards.

Yeah, that's big news. Imagining Kawada going to the US in '99...

I suppose the plus is it'll force New Japan to elevate the younger guys before they may otherwise have. That said, huge blow for their house show business.

Okada to WWE is the much funnier option

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I think njpw will be fine and 2024 will be an all timer year and the return of two block G1

insha'Allah

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hopefully less. Can't be doing with part-timers on top.

Anyway, Naito should probably have a fairly long reign with the roll call being interrupted by increasingly comical people, culminating in Captain New Japan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

So if one of Okada's last matches is putting over one of the young guys, who should it be? Shota and Tsuji both feel like they have their own 'mountains' to climb, Ren Narita kinda just sucks. Is it Uemura by default?

EVIL

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

despy should immediately be iwgp world heavyweight champion

Rename it the IWGP Deathmatch Title, first defence Vs Hiromu

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This show was pretty bad. United Empire Vs BC was fun, Tag Title match was insipid,main event was dogshit

I miss when the NEVER Openweight Title was good.

I had totally missed Tama going. Nothing of value lost.

Fire Red Shoes for restarting that push (but honestly,replace Gedo please, he's clearly creatively busy)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 21, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I can see why they wanted him to get a nice moment in front of Korakuen but I do think it would have been better to lose the titles rather than vacating them. It's gonna take awhile to get those titles feeling important again.

If he wanted a nice moment in Korakuen he should've not left. You go out on your back. It didn't even need to be Okada being pinned by Fujita, have him put over Mad Mikey, he had a cracking 2023 AND has already washed out of WWE.

I can't decide what would make me madder, Okada puts over no one on this tour & takes no pinfalls, or Okada puts over only Tana.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Watching Tana run out for Despy Nobu and holy poo poo that was sad. That was approaching Jado levels of run-in. That man's knees must be in perpetual agony

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

She's got a few more dates in Stardom, just have AZM beat her or whatever. Hell, merge the IWGP and STRONG belts, Mayu doesn't know the difference between them anyway.

Having 2 titles already seems pointless when they both only get defended in Stardom & NJPW US shows.

Saw this from Cubs Fan's update from today
"Master Wato is off all upcoming NJPW shows due to an ACL injury. He was booked on most of the FantasticaMania shows, and NJPW announced replacements Thursday. Dragon Gate wrestler Strong Machine J will take the spot in Osaka, while MUSASHI fills in the rest of the shows. MUSASHI wrestled in Mexico in 2018 and 2019, even trained in the CMLL school. He never made it onto a regular CMLL show but did wrestle on CMLL spot shows (including teaming with Kawato/Master Wato.) MUSASHI teamed with old friend YOH in last year’s Super Junior Tag League and recently announced he’d leave his home promotion of Michinoku Pro at the end of February. Those two things in combination have caused people to guess he’s ending up in New Japan, and wrestling more New Japan shows will fuel that speculation."

MUSASHI is a good pickup for New Japan's honestly kind of flat junior division, despite the top 2 guys in it being 2 of my favourite guys left in the company. Strong Machine J on another NJPW show is neat though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm a refugee from the bad promotion trying to get into NJPW, but it's pretty confusing... I see there's a "The Road to New Beginning" series going on, which I'm assuming is like the string of weekly shows before PPVs in the American promotions. But then there's like 3 different New Beginning shows happening? Are those ... different shows? Or... like a traveling road show? Maybe I'm overthinking this trying to wrap my head around what to watch.

Hey, welcome on board, it's mostly fun! So how I'd explain it is that Japanese companies traditionally run a touring schedule rather than the weekly TV show format from US companies. Currently the first tour of the year is New Beginning, which is bookended by New Beginning In Nagoya which happened on 20/1 & then the Road To shows begin, and most of them are just house shows that never get broadcast & often have very similar cards so just don't worry about them. But usually any shows on a tour that happen in Korakuen Hall in Tokyo will be on New Japan World if you want to watch. This tour has 4, 23 & 24 Jan as well as 4 & 5 Feb. The next big show though is on the 11th Feb, New Beginning In Osaka, which has a tag team title match, Zack Sabre Jr faces Bryan Danielson, & there's also a big 5 vs 5 tag match in a steel cage, which is pretty rare in New Japan.

Confusingly, after Osaka they immediately start a new tour, Fantasticamania, which is done in collaboration with the lucha libre promotion CMLL & involves bringing over a bunch of Mexican talent, & some NJPW guys who wrestled in Mexico on their excursion will go use the gimmick they used in Mexico (Hiromu Takahashi becomes Kamitachi, El Desperado often becomes Namajague, for example) & it's kind of non-canon if that makes sense? It's really about the lucha guys & everyone comes wearing masks & they have air horns like in Arena Mexico, it's really quite fun & I recommend catching at least a little of it, but it's definitely more in the "inessential" category from a New Japan story perspective. The confusing part is after that finishes they have 2 more New Beginning shows, New Beginning In Sapporo nights 1 & 2, & they have a bunch of title matches across the 2 nights.

After that there's a short break, everyone gets to go home for a while before March 6th & the 52nd Anniversary Show. And that leads straight into the New Japan Cup which is a different kettle of fish & I don't want to overload you with info.

When I first got New Japan World I watch everything. Every match on every show. I was very hot for the product, I am way more picky now, partly just because I watch other wrestling companies now & back then I was only watching New Japan. The English commentary really helps get you familiar with all the guys on the roster & stories & stuff, Chris Charlton in particular is a fountain of NJPW knowledge. Some people will look down at you for using the English commentary but gently caress them, when you're almost totally unaware of who everyone is it's nice to at least have someone in a familiar language. It makes it so much more approachable for newcomers, I know it did for me. And I do recommend keeping up with this thread, because Thauros does a great job of updating the OP with the card for the next show airing on New Japan World & I'd also add that we're generally a pretty welcoming & helpful thread so if you have any questions just fire away.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Cameo posted:

“When Alexander The Great of Macedon was 33, he cried salt tears because he had no worlds left to conquer. Jay White is 28 and is very close to feeling that blissful sadness, and to do that, he will send a deity crashing down to earth, and snuff out the Golden Star.” ~ Charlton, 1.5.2021
For anyone unaware this a reference to one of the most tremendously hyperbolic lines of sports commentary ever. "When Alexander The Great of Macedon was 33, he cried salt tears because he had no worlds left to conquer. Bristow is only 27."

The Bristow in question was a darts player.

Same commentator also once said "there's only one word to describe this: magic darts"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The main reason I don't like HoT is I liked almost every member before they got this gimmick. I never liked Yujiro but every other one was in my top half of NJPW guys (well, not Togo, but he was cool in NOAH before HoT)

Also every match is the same. It's definitely an act that would probably be fun to boo live but as I'm unlikely to attend New Japan this year I don't even consider that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fucker posted:

house of torture are more creative ab the new poo poo they do every match than ishii and takagi. prove me wrong.

If it ain't broken then don't fix it. The Ishii match is perfect. The EVIL match is not.

If your creativity is endless ref bumps and crummy garotte and wrench spots, maybe just go back to fundamentals.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Okay, here's my thoughts on WK18 as someone just getting into NJPW and not really knowing any (okay well most) of these wrestlers.

My first impressions are 1) the in ring technicality is huge, and I'm loving the shoot/strong/whatever style compared to western wrestling. And 2) the in ring storytelling is also huge! Like I said I didn't really know anyone on the card, but after one match I felt like understood feuds going on just from how they interacted in the ring.

I know this is kind of rambly and probably just static in the thread but thanks everyone who's been helping to primer me on this promotion. I'm excited to catch up on named shows since WK and keep watching going forward.

Really enjoy reading people getting into this stuff, especially when they enjoy it, makes me smile.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

All those recommended Okada matches and no one has yet brought up his actual best match, Sakura Genesis 2017 with Katsuyori Shibata? SHAME

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

karmicknight posted:

have you considered they took his dang brain out

Yeah, it loving rules

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So Oskar & Yuto are on excursion in England with Rev Pro & looking pretty dang confident

https://x.com/Peps_Wrestling/status/1754228426490220761?s=20

Honestly think that's a great look for Nakashima

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

I can't for the life of me care about Clark and Maloney, and Akira/TJP are growing on me. Good match with some post match heel action that went on way too long. Finlay can cut a decent promo though.

Clark is great, but yeah, I dunno if I really get with him in the tag team role. Moloney is fine & the kind of guy a faction needs (because someone has to take the pinfalls) but yeah, not much more than that.

Akira rules & I miss him in All Japan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://x.com/njpwglobal/status/1754422767452319917?s=20

If the tweet doesn't load, HENARE, Kidd & Cobb are all out of today's Korakuen show

So the adjusted card

Katsuya Murashima vs Shoma Kato
Bullet Club Leftovers (Chase Owens, KENTA & Taiji Ishimori) vs GoD (El Phantasmo, Hikuleo & Jado)
El Desperado, Oleg Boltin, Shota Umino, Tomoaki Honma & YOH vs House of Torture (EVIL, Ren Narita, SHO, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Yujiro)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs TMDK (Kosei Fujita, Mikey Nicholls, Shane Haste & Zack Sabre Jr)
Bullet Club War Dogs (Alex Coughlin, Clark Connors, Drilla Moloney & David Finlay) vs United Empire (Callum Newman, Francesco Akira, Great O-Khan & TJP)
Faction Warfare Gauntlet: Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi, Shingo Takagi, Tetsuya Naito & Yota Tsuji) vs Just 5 Guys (DOUKI, SANADA, Taichi, TAKA Michinoku & Yuya Uemura)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Please God tell me that is their actual faction name :lol:

It should be

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The two guys with the best hair on the roster

Unbelievable

It should be criminal to book an LIJ guy in a hair Vs hair match and it not be the guy who has never heard of conditioner so he has straw hair

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://www.njpw1972.com/169700

They have an English version of the article on the website too

It's quite sweet hearing him talk about the friendship with Yuto

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 7, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bummer news, Kojima has some sort of MCL injury.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://x.com/STRIGGA/status/1757008349801947650?s=20

Uhhhhhhh what?

Didn't expect New Japan to book Guerrero Nazi for a tour.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 12, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, that's pretty undeniable

How did the commentary team deal with it? There was English commentary based on other tweets I saw during the show

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm pretty sure New Japan will deal with this swiftly and seriously

Sure they will

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Probably the only way to actually deal with it, tbh. He seems like a smart young man with a good head on his shoulders.

Unlike Boner

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pretty much confident that everyone hoping Naito drops the belt before Dominion, if not at all this year, is going to be bummed out.

A bit like me on hearing that a guy did a Heil Hitler on a New Japan show. Sorry, I'm still stuck on this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Remember when Henare was shown to be a really hardcore manosphere guy? To the point where he was openly praising the Japanese Imperial Army. Not holding out hopes for anything to happen about this.

Wasn't there a really half arsed denial from Henare? Or rather from the manosphere guy who was definitely Henare

And yeah, I'm very good at separating art from artist, I still listen to Burzum from time to time (all pirated of course, even I draw the line at giving him money), and guys like Honma & Hajime O'Hara (thanks phone, I'm leaving that correction) & even Joji Otani still gets booked. That's Japanese wrestling

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Ok I don't follow US wrestling at all. I don't think I've ever seen a match of his. Why is he getting such a reaction. Is it just the punk stuff or does he suck in general

AEW watchers are weird.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

it wont happen but mox should beat naito for the iwgp title imo

Just say no to part-timers holding top titles. If you're not wrestling on a nothing 6 man in Koga then you don't get to hold the World Heavyweight Title imo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The PWG match with Jake Atlas was good from BOLA 2019.

Honestly wouldn't say he's great. He's still relatively green. But I do think he'd benefit from a tour or two of New Japan where he just gets to cut a 3-5 minute promo backstage with no real pressure or guidance every night

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

They should push Shota/Tsuji and Uemura, absolutely!

Also Dave Meltzer just reported that Tama Tonga has decided to go to prison for a few years.

Good for him. Now I don't have to see him for a while. And he'll get to spend more time with his family. Works for everyone.

New Japan is in this weird place with me right now where I like lots of the wrestlers but just have no faith in the booking. Well, I say weird. It feels frustratingly normal, it's the NOAH bit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I am thoroughly uninterested in Naito on top, but with Okada gone he's indisputably NJPW's #1 draw. Milk it at least until Dominion, probably could go all the way to WK with it.

I might lose interest by then but hey, that's a me problem

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

...why would you not want Umino getting the rub of beating the top dude in the company, but instead to have him go over a part-timer?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Matt Riddle just going on Ariel Helwani's show to admit to failing multiple drug tests in WWE. For cocaine.

Smart choice for a champion Gedo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I can see why Dave is so defensive of his friend Matt Riddle.