Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
kinda old but this shot is so good. hang it in the louvre https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1742991789118599282/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
lmao Chris Charlton on his laptop

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

The Cameo posted:

Sorry, Nakanishi has a shift at the gas station that day.

Unfortunately, the dude did not save for retirement and now actually does that to make ends meet as he evidently did not want to continue on as a trainer for the dojo, either. It’s kind of sad. But also: did you forget the dude retired like four years ago? It was done pretty quietly as he didn’t want to have it interfere with his (everybody’s) friend Liger’s retirement.

wait what that's so sad

EDIT: okay reading https://www.reddit.com/r/njpw/comments/17slzkt/the_post_retirement_life_of_manabu_nakanishi/, it's not that sad, at least it's a bit hopeful. he had become pretty worn down by the time I started watching New Japan but he looked like an absolute killer in his prime

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 25, 2024

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
yeah it blew my mind when I learned that Okada/Omega 1 was their least good match. There's a reason Big Dave rated the series like that

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Watched a bunch of matches from New Beginning:

Tana vs Matt Riddle
This sucked, none of Riddle's offense looked in place in a NJPW ring, his chops look and sound extremely rear end. Also does he really do that "I kick my slippers off upon landing into the ring" thing all the time? Disgusting.

David Finlay vs Nic Nemeth
I actually liked this one a bit? The superkick to Gedo spot was awesome (along with the stealth shillelagh pass). But it ran a bit too long and it felt like the match was unnecessarily padded (story of post-2018 Bushiroad NJPW matches really). Nic actually seems motivated though the knee selling felt a bit fake. I'm pretty higher on Finlay than the rest of the forum but he did look like a guy who was dropping the title lol

Hiromu Takahashi vs DOUKI
This ruled. The crowd went from backing Hiromu to being fully behind DOUKI in real time. Really well-earned. I adored the lucha-based counters, while they weren't super clean they kinda sold me on the story of DOUKI pulling out all the stops to beat the best junior heavyweight in the world. Him finally landing the Suplex de la Luna was magnificent.

Mayu Iwatani vs Mina Shirakawa
yooooooo wtf I really need to get into STARDOM. Instant fan of Mayu, wrestlers going into a trance-like state and going full murder mode is one of my personal favorite bits in wrestling.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

yea ok posted:

whats the consensus on fat boy walker? seems like he's improving pretty quickly with the nerd guiding him along

I like him, he seems engaged with the product and is eager to contribute. Kevin in his later years felt like he was just there taking a paycheck and would bring too much of a personal touch in the comms like crypto or stats from Chris Samsa like who gives a poo poo lol.

I just wish he'd stop calling the Italian Stretch #32 as the Douki Chokey. Like come on.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sooper Gila posted:

Select excerpts from this glorious interview:
https://www.njpw1972.com/171577

SHO: Nah, I'd win

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
wait, why? that's odd. when is the winner challenging for the title then?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
what was wrong with eels? couldn't prepare it in time?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jerusalem posted:

Ugh, I thought Zack had successfully managed to avoid having to sully himself with Matt Riddle. Gross.

Still being punished by President Tana after getting bullied by him so many times I see

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I haven't seen the show but I peeped Cagematch and the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship match was a ref stoppage. Was this basically like Shun Skywalker (c) vs HipHop Kikuta for the Dream Gate title back in 2021?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I haven't seen that show, but there was a pre match brawl and YOH injured his shoulder, so the match didn't even start.

ok it was worse then

In Kikuta's case they got to a minute or two then he got wrecked after doing a very normal spot

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I wouldn't mind Ren winning the title, it would just further justify his turn. But also I'd love it if Shota's the one to take the title off Moxley. It's a gamble but I'm really glad they're taking chances with their booking.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Gaz-L posted:

Weird decision but the All Together joint show is going to be on PPV on Abema, in English, but only for the Philippines and US.

Philippines? lmao nice

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
so he's gonna win, right?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
when was the last time someone lost in challenging for the Jr. title pre-BOSJ in the same year, won BOSJ, and proceeded to win the title? KUSHIDA vs Hiromu in 2017 was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
President EVIL Tanahashi has some explaining to do...