Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

excited for these matches but what the gently caress kind of face is Gabe making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So uh. This is EXTREMELY bad omens for NJPW right?

It certainly feels like it, though I'd be happy for someone with more knowledge of the situation to explain why it's Actually Not That Bad

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

AJPW officially becomes NXT Japan

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

SG Bamboo posted:

The thought occured to me that they might put the belt back on EVIL to pad out the time until they need to pull the trigger on a new main event face, and that's the worst possible timeline

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

C. Everett Koop posted:

Always except the worse.

lol

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Naito's always been Captain New Japan (no not that one), just think back to how he how spoke about NJ talent departures to Stamford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjLC0trXPI

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Suplex Liberace posted:

despy should immediately be iwgp world heavyweight champion

and immediately defend it in a deathmatch against Kasai

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Lid posted:

The last few times the NJPW main event scene has up and left the solution has been "megapush the head of bullet club"

It's time.

I can't tell if you mean EVIL or Finlay but I would genuinely prefer the former

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yeah, it's clear by now that the problem is a fundamental one and that Okada's departure should be seen as the dead canary it is. NJPW seems aware of this to some extent, as I have to think that the creation of the United Japan Pro-Wrestling group (https://www.njpw1972.com/166568) was in part motivated to try and address the issues informing the ongoing and crippling loss of talent. Whether said group can actually provide any solutions obviously still remains to be seen, but at this point I think Japanese companies either have to accept that they'll always be at risk of losing wrestlers to the west or try and conglomerate in a more substantial way so as to provide competitive compensation and a stage big enough to shine on.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh okay, so the multiple named shows are sort of like the "night 1", "night 2", etc that you'd see in something like Wrestlemania, that makes sense.

So just a different way of doing things, but not too different than what I'm used to, that's cool. I guess the "road to" shows aren't necessary viewing the way something like RAW or Dynamite is to keep up with the uh, "story"?

Not to that degree, no. Storylines will sometimes be advanced on Road To shows, but the happenings are rarely so significant that you have to watch all the episodes for fear of falling behind. Don't worry if you don't have time to absorb every minute of every card, you'll be adequately informed even if you just watch the matches you're especially interested in.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
In addition to those you mentioned, here are the members of the current AEW roster that spent significant time in NJPW:

quote:

Adam Page
Chris Jericho (has had a handful of high-profile matches/feuds in recent years)
Chuck Taylor
Eddie Kingston (participated in last year's G1, recent high-profile matches/feuds)
Jay White
Jon Moxley
Juice Robinson
Kyle Fletcher
Mark Briscoe
Mark Davis
Matt and Nick Jackson
Trent Beretta
Wheeler Yuta (participated in 2022 Best of the Super Juniors)

And probably some more I'm forgetting! As far as a primer goes, this series of videos does a pretty good job of illustrating the modern history of NJPW - the only issue is that the last entry is three years old, so it really doesn't have much to say about the company's current scene.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8GWdQ90lNZffTLl4pLGsg-0yx9ybteOh

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Count Thrashula posted:

And House of Torture.

oh no we lost another one :(

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

STONE COLD 64 posted:

no, like who you like, there is no shame.

yeah I'm just giving you a hard time, Thrashula, like whoever :)

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Count Thrashula posted:

I know this is kind of rambly and probably just static in the thread but thanks everyone who's been helping to primer me on this promotion. I'm excited to catch up on named shows since WK and keep watching going forward.

Please keep posting your thoughts, it's rare someone joins the thread knowing next to nothing about NJPW and I've really enjoyed reading which matches/wrestlers are resonating with you and your impressions of the promotion as a whole.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
it still works if you consider Gabe Kidd the rightful heir

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Jerusalem posted:

Tsuji playing a dangerous game while trying to hit Just 5 Guys where it hurts the most: their shampoo endorsement deal!

that Booker T/Edge feud doesn't look so dumb now hmm :smug:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
read the tights and listen to the loving song

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
e; n/m

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Suplex Liberace posted:

what ontario show?

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/new-japan/njpw-strong-resurgence-announced-for-ontario-california

May 11th at the Toyota Arena

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

quote:

CMLL’s Volador Jr announced today that his 10 year old son will stay behind in Japan to train in the NJPW Dojo.

yeesh

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

It was later clarified that EHD Volodor Jr will be training at the Dojo when he turns 18:

https://x.com/reasonjp/status/1759201959142367474?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

okay cool

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

brutal but honestly well-deserved

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Power Windows posted:

Yes No No
No No No
No Yes Yes

this is the worst game of Hollywood Squares ever

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
e; n/m

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
they can't even bother getting the story right when everything's in English, if anything they're probably happy to have the language barrier to use as an excuse if they get called out on their poo poo reporting

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
that match is a little strange in a bubble since it's mostly SANADA beating up on Jungle Jack and winning with a third-tier finisher, helps to know that Perry was kayfabe frustrated with his inability to move up the ranks and turned on his then tag partner Hook after the contest

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I think Perry is really good and has a ton of potential but he should absolutely not be beating Shota at this point in time

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, Nic Nemeth's biggest issue is he'd been in the fed for far too loving long past the point that anyone either in the audience or behind the scenes gave a poo poo.

Like, he's never been bad in the ring, albeit very blatant about who he's cribbed from, but after the 25th time in WWE he cut the nearly-crying "I'm gonna put it all on the line ONE. MORE. TIME!" promo who on earth could care about him. (I pointedly remember him doing about 4 of these in a feud with the Miz about 5 years ago, leading to a 'he wins or gets fired' stip and everyone in PSP wanted him to lose. He was the babyface)

this is pretty much where I'm at, the guy's clearly talented but is ten years past his prime both in terms of wrestling ability and character freshness

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

forkboy84 posted:

Matt Riddle just going on Ariel Helwani's show to admit to failing multiple drug tests in WWE.

duh

quote:

For cocaine.

oh

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, it might have been a mistake, it's very easy to mix up cocaine with entirely harmless products.

I look forward to his lawyer clearing things up with a new cd label press release

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
congratulations to your next NJPW World TV champion...

*pulls raffle from box, sighs*

...Bobby Fish

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
neat variation on "couldn't find his rear end with both hands," haven't heard that one before

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
looking forward to him deposing Finlay as leader of the War Dogs

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
things aren't looking good for NOAH right now but I think they can get back on track if just humiliate Kiyomiya a few more times

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
turns out he just invited Jun Kasai a bunch of times so they could beat the poo poo out of each other a lot

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I would love even the briefest of championship runs for Mox so I'm all on board

plus it would be really funny if Naito's triumphant reign was cut short by losing to a non-NJ worker on a foreign show

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
that's about the right level of prestige for those belts tbh

stream is live!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Windy City Riot just started, though it's still preshow 'til eight

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH