Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved Wrestle Kingdom and New Year Dash, was disgusted to see Riddle is getting to make an appearance even if it is only one (edit, make that two.... ugh), am thrilled at Mox vs. Shingo, and now I see Eddie vs. Gabe Kidd too!?! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

In a better world we could have had Tom Lawler challenging for the belt :negative:

gently caress that would be so much better :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

apophenium posted:

Well, I guess I was wrong. Meltzer's saying Matt Riddle will be on the New Beginnings tour. I guess we'll see if he behaves at the airport. :sigh:

Boo.

KungFu Grip posted:

Riddle is absolutely gonna be sticking around and probably in the G1

BOO!

apophenium posted:

unless he gets kicked out of Japan.

Inshallah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Danielson/ZSJ :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Top Ten Active Wrestlers for 2023 Thread is now up and I'm keen to get as many people making lists or thinking about their lists as early as possible, if you're so inclined!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, he's not beating Naito.

...but what if he does, though?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

And like Dominion or Forbidden Door being Mox/Shooter for the title makes sense!

Shota's beating Moxley for the title at Wrestle Kingdom in 2025, you can take that to the bank! The bank won't know what to do with it, but that's not my problem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But... I don't want Okada to leave New Japan....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was right and everybody else in the entire world was wrong when I said Shota should have beaten Ospreay for the US/UK title :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New Japan has a lot of potential guys lower on the card but certainly not in a position to be THE guy right now. They seem to have recognized this to some extent with their decision to not have their Young Boys spend as long as they have been serving their apprenticeship. There are inherent risks with pushing somebody too quickly so early in their career (ironically, Okada himself is proof that when it works it REALLY works) but it does mean stuff like Yota Tsuji vs. SANADA and Shota Umino vs. Will Ospreay now look like real missed opportunities for a brand new "Rainmaker Shock" type of deal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

TKO is going to be going into cost cutting mode this year as the stock falters, the class action suit looms and they are already warning the TV rights deals won't be as big as expected.

Legit I read TKO as Tony Khan (I guess I just ignored the O?) and was confused as to what class action lawsuit he was facing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

it would probably be Cyberagent in which case I'd want to know how robust Japanese antitrust laws are.

According to my deep research into the way big deals like this happen in Japan, the deal will go through unless a shirtless ripped middle-aged Japanese man who might have spent some time in prison beats the poo poo out of a surprisingly ripped middle-aged executive after playing a shitload of Mahjong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Okada's 100% going to WWE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God, YOSHI-HASHI is going to be the new leader of CHAOS :vince:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

Champ Ishii

:sickos:

Tomohiro Ishii, asked to save the company after all those years never winning the title:

https://i.imgur.com/bBuADRe.mp4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Takahashi cutting the Vince "in gonna kill my creation / object a lethal dose of poison" promo

Tanahashi awkwardly taking the mic away from Hiromu and asking him to go take his seat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Or that fanfiction that got posted about Mox winning the belt and turning heel on Shota. That'd be pretty funny

That wasn't fanfiction, it's real and it's going to happen! :byodame:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

Nothing in wrestling is ever going to be as baffling to me as Chase Owens still having a job. What crime did he see Gedo commit?

Gedo betrayed his Perfect Son, and thus is forever cursed :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Okada's shock exit has kind of taken the focus away from Tama's last tour as champ

Okada getting in one last political hit (unless he also squashes Fujita before he leaves!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey they gave the English commentary team a camera shot while they were talking!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You know I usually hate it when the commentary talks over a wrestler talking directly to camera like David Finlay was during his entrance.

Usually.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love every so often being reminded that Kanemaru is in New Japan because Suzuki-Gun pulled a Liechtenstein army at the Brenner Pass with him while they were in NOAH.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aesculus posted:

Holy poo poo Wato doesn't look like an utter dweeb anymore

The benefits of becoming El Desperado's best friend :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ZSJ is such a powerful role model, he'd certainly never show up pantless in a small Japanese bar to offer improper medical advice!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

...okada...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahem. Go ACE!

(not to America though! :ohdear:)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okada..... :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

urging Hirata fans and fans of way too busy comedy multi-mans to check out the ddt show

I have it running silent in another window so I can switch between shows during lulls, but the Okada news has me way more focused on what is going on in New Japan right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Taichi don't mess with Shingo's spot!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Are we on Tout?" :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rick posted:

I was planning to watch today anyway so I guess I would have found out now but finding out via NJPW Supercard notifications or whatever about Okada sure was something.

It's so hosed up!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rick posted:

Lmao a TOUT joke.

I've been pretty happy with the past year and Okada was already a bit on the back burner the second half of the year so I'm pretty confident NJPW is gonna stay good.

I thought they'd had a pretty drat good 2023 as well, though obviously I would have liked Okada to be a more central focus than he was. I did love his "I've had it with these loving kids" character and I'm sad we won't get to see any more of that in New Japan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ishimori's speed on those exercises :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor GoK :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is so unfair :lol:

The crowd helpfully counting along :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait..... what!?! Yes!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He rules lawyered his way to victory ahahaha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The referee is standing right there in the corner just watching this all happen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

lol at slow jado

"Lightning quick is Jado."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Red Shoes realizes after all these years,"Oh hey, I can just call the match off."