Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that's fair enough and 8th is the only edition I ever played. But the key thing is, they let you fire with two ranks, and it looks like TOW only lets you fire with one. That is going to have significant consequences for how you do shooting units. The points cost for skeleton archers have not come down so if your little 10 guy units only get five shots at BS3 hitting on 4+ wounding on 4+ and then the target gets armour save and maybe a ward save, they're effectively useless. You'll be lucky to do one wound a game. Even with all ten shots they were pretty shite.
The warcomm shooting phase said that shooting is only front rank unless you have Volley Fire or are on a hill and all bows so far have Volley Fire rule. I may have missed something as I only watched one Tabletop Tactics battle report but the skellies were definitely shooting more than front rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Generally there will only be 1 or 2 4th level wizards at most. As long as the 1s and 2s have some distance they should get their casts going barring the Level 4 deciding to endanger themselves.
I feel like you don't bother making your vampires wizards, just chuck a lvl 4 necromancer at the back and have your vampires riding around causing chaos. Probably a second level 2 necro to make zombies.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Can you still take mixed city guard units of dark elves or are they just listed together for convenience? Also, seems odd to give the Murderous rule to Witch Elves and Executioners when it only applies to users of a single regular hand weapon, which quite famously neither of those do.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

No, City Guard are now hand weapon/shield+optional spear OR their repeater crossbow men. I remember the old style City Guard getting dropped around 5th-6th and one of our friends that had been playing since the 90's was so furious about that change that he sold his army and to this day still says "Games Workshop screwed me over for the last time" and now only plays Warmachine.

"Warhammer is loving serious business" - Johnny Two-Hats, Sparkling Illusionist

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
City guard was a separate unit in the 1995 book. Pretty sure it was only spears and crossbows allowed. I am also pretty sure that the special rules included a stipulation that casualties were removed from the front rank, so crossbows first.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, it was in the army books for 4th and 6th edition. You were allowed to mix and match but it had to be a 50/50 split. I believe it was crossbows and spears only though.
Yeah, the fourth Ed book is the one I'm thinking of, it never mandated how you had too split, just casualties removed from front. I had the original release of 6th book (without the border) and city guard weren't there. Were they added back in the re-released buff version?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Ghouls have Reserve move, so they can move a second time in the shooting phase. They seem like perfect troops for the flanks, as they get no benefit from the Hellish Vigor spell your more highest level mage probably has.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'd say it's intended to be a move because it says you "cannot move again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Issaries posted:

What is the even point then. :psyduck:
You can still roll a one! Also lots of these rules also ignore Lone model so it makes sense you can seek safety in rank and file.

Character sniping rules are lame as hell anyway, they shouldn't be reliable.