Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well I'm in the queue for US orders, it says I have a 40 minute wait but it was 51 minutes about four minutes ago which I am going to guess means a lot of people are finding some stuff is already sold out. I just want the core book and the tomb kings supplement so I'm optimistic books might have more stock than the big model sets.

Gambrinus posted:

Do mummies still exist? Wouldn't mind having some of them as well.

They weren't in print in 8th and so I would say not, but I use my mummies as unit champions and I think that's a good way to extend the size of your purchased units a bit. Or use them as characters, a mummy would make a fine liche priest or tomb prince.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I got mine because I bought someone else's TK army back at the beginning of 8th and he had a half dozen of them. I did paint them up anyway, they're just generic looking mummy models so not particularly special, but if you have some already you can make use. Actually there's a lot of third-party "egyptian undead" stuff that can be proxied reasonably into a tomb kings army. In particular if you don't want to shell out big bucks for the box set just to get the centerpiece dragon thing, all of the other stuff is just skeletons with bows, skeletons with spears, skeletons on horses with bows or spears, and chariots, and you can get decent to excellent proxies for all of that from third parties.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

That's a shame. I'll have a gander for third party mummies then.

Old Citadel metal ones on eBay are horrendously expensive, as usual.

They're really not worth paying significant money for.

Here's six of them, with my very bad paint job from 2013, for a closeup look. While my painting isn't great, I didn't fill detail - this is how much detail the metal models had.

mostly OK but the skull faces are sort of molten. And you can see the sculptures are using different heads and weapons on the same three bodies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK I got in on the US store and the main rulebook is out of stock. Ravening Hordes is still available to preorder but I'm not preordering it without the rulebook so welp.

Also a box of three Ushabti is $85, lmao

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is also a release that needed new books and rules, is getting a handful at most of new models on release, and is otherwise just a matter of the company digging out their existing master molds from storage to do a few production runs of existing sculpts. That significantly controls costs. Limiting the number of factions they're promising to "support" for Old World further controls future costs. This is the company being careful with the franchise not to wind up where they were before with the game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I was actually surprised to learn that they didn't just use the old master moulds. For at least some of they larger models they say they've gone in and created new masters moulds with different assembly cuts to improve the kits. I'll be very interested to see how that bears out.
My suspicion is that it may have been necessitated by damage in storage, or the switch to casting in Forge World (rip) resin needed new moulds anyway, and the lighter medium allows for much larger/more complex components.

I'm not the biggest fan of FW resin for various reasons, but stuff like the Hellcannon or any large metal model would benefit hugely from it.

I wonder if the TKs will get a new screaming skull catapult kit, the old metal one is balls to assemble and doesn't really look great either.

I also noticed the warsphinx and necrosphinx are separate kits: mine was a combo kit, that I magnetized so it can be either one. So they must have made some change to the sprues as you suggested.

Oh, same with the sepulchral stalkers/knights actually! Magnetizing those was tricky enough I never finished, I still have the bits in a tub somewhere.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 7, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Robert Facepalmer posted:

They aren't different kits, there is just a store entry for each unit entry. Same sprues, same box, the product descriptions say they build the alternate option.

Haha amazing. Not a big deal but seems very silly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean this absolutely is a cynical exercise in mining nostalgia and cash from fantasy battle fans. Like that is totally correct.

But what we actually want from companies is for them to sell us the products we want, so while that's totally cynical, it's also expected and OK from a player's perspective. I would have liked more evolution to the rules, but that would have been more risky and there's no reason to expect a more risky product from games workshop, when just doing this at all is taking a significant risk.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eggplant Squire posted:

I think you can call the overall project a cashgrab mining nostalgia while also looking at it as a labor of passion from the people on the ground flood designing it. They honestly deviated more than I would have expected.

Absolutely yeah. At a corporate level this release is sharply focused on an old set of customers - people like me - that abandoned games workshop when they killed off our game, and they'd like us back. At the ground level the people who make these games care about what they're doing and put real time and effort into it. I think that's fairly common in corporate game companies. The people who are designing new cards for Magic the Gathering care about what they're doing, but Hasbro has a specific profit margin in mind and pursues it relentlessly.

I'm OK with it. I don't think it's worth being too wound up about.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah pragmatism is a fine word for it. It's just business sense. Understanding existing and potential markets and trying to serve them, but with a very clear and strong directive to be profitable by it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

/\/\That looks amazing and fun, but very weird to see their tents and a tree marching across the field with them lol

Verisimilidude posted:

Absolutely. I've been thinking about the tomb kings box and how those skeletons should really be a breeze to make tabletop-ready. Prime, brown undercoat, zenithal ivory, then put teal and gold where they need to be, before hitting everything with a sepia wash. I bet I could crank out 10 archers in a 3 hour sitting.

How do you feel about mold lines? The multipart basic skeletons come in bits: legs, ribcage, arms, head. The arms have pre-attached weapons. Archers also have a quiver to add, while spear guys have a shield to add. Everything has mold lines. Prepping and assembling basic skeles takes far, far longer than painting them, for sure, unless you don't care about mold lines being highlighted by your sepia wash.

Not to discourage you, because skeletons are cool! And one nice thing going to 25mm bases is that you don't have to take absurd care to get them to rank up, on the old 20mm bases their arms stuck out a bit and so it was important to do a variety of positions on bases to ensure they didn't overly interfere.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The main thing it needs, which 8th edition didn't have after GW killed it, is the models being actively sold so new players can buy into an army. There's been nothing else stopping people from playing 8th all this time, and people went to proxy models too. But you couldn't really play it at a GW store, there was no GW tournament support, and given what was done in the End Times and the weaknesses in 8th edition rulesets, it's understandable that players gravitated toward alternate rulesets like 9th Age and Kings of War. But even with both of those things, overall play had to have dropped a ton because of the lack of active support by games workshop for the models and setting and game environment people want from a supported game.

So to keep TOW alive I think they need to keep SKUs in stock, at least periodically; let people play in their stores, at least sometimes; and not have garbage rules. If they're willing to do a rebalance/update to their rules in a year after a lot of play has happened and it becomes clear where the screwups are - and there will be some, whether its points values or unclear rule interactions or whatever - then the game should be alive and well for a decade even if they don't make any new models or otherwise put resources into it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, I thought the same thing, so I'm probably going to build up like 4 of these and use them in archer blocks since they're mostly stationary anyway and then just use the others as terrain eventually. I think I'm also going to foam cut up a little "sword in the stone" thing to use for foot knights.

Some fun unit filler for foot knights might include like a pack mule or horse or two laden with supplies, or maybe a whole supply wagon; squires or assistants with spare weapons; maybe some war dogs or their fantasy equivalents; or a really big guy, a big base with a kind of diorama of two or three guys doing something funny or interesting. Anything that looks reasonably mobile, makes sense to have with a unit of armed soldiers, and ideally adds character is good.

Some stuff I found that I think looks reasonably mobile and is thematic:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Someone already made a thing to help list building.

https://old-world-builder.com

is this thing correct, and Tomb Guard are core???

that changes everything

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah OK that says 1+ unit of basic warriors or archers, i.e. you cannot fill out your core without taking at least one of those units. The army builder thing just linked isn't enforcing that. It's also not enforcing that it's tomb guard or stalkers, not one of each.

It's still nice that you can take a token unit of basic skeles and fill out most of your core points with survivable guys like tomb guard!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 10, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

volley fire was in 8th and it allowed half the models in the third and subsequent ranks to fire as well, as long as the unit didn't move. 1st and 2nd ranks got to fire in all other cases, including stand and shoot reactions. Not sure how the old world rule gets you more shots on its own.
That said, if reforming is easy enough I think the intent is that your shooting units spread out to shoot and then reform to a block to move.

In 8th, if you reformed that turn you couldn't shoot at all. Is that still the case in The Old World?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh I didn't realize Volley Fire was a thing in 8th; I literally played 1 game of it with Warriors of Chaos so shooting was uhh...not a priority.

Yeah that's fair enough and 8th is the only edition I ever played. But the key thing is, they let you fire with two ranks, and it looks like TOW only lets you fire with one. That is going to have significant consequences for how you do shooting units. The points cost for skeleton archers have not come down so if your little 10 guy units only get five shots at BS3 hitting on 4+ wounding on 4+ and then the target gets armour save and maybe a ward save, they're effectively useless. You'll be lucky to do one wound a game. Even with all ten shots they were pretty shite.

Have any of the game review/reports mentioned what unit musicians do in this edition? In 8th they just gave a Ld. test to make a swift reform instead of a regular one in the remaining moves phase, swift allowing you to still move & shoot (at -1) vs. regular preventing you from moving or shooting. Which is maybe more important of a factor when you want to get all your dudes spread out in a line to get some shooting done in this edition.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

...but only if the other side doesn't have a musician? So they have like a literal sound-off to see who has the best horn chops if the battle is too close to call

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Musicians do a few things:
"Onwards to Victory!" - a unit with a musician wins ties after all other results have been calculated, but only if the opposing side does not have a musician. They basically drown each other out.
Steadying Rhythm - a unit with a musician gets +1 to their leadership when attempting to rally
Quick Time - If a unit with a musician tries to march while within 8" of an enemy unit they get +1 to their leadership when testing to see if they can

I guess if you're undead only the tiebreaking effect matters.

And yet the musician still costs the same for an upgrade I bet. :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Well, obviously. You won't catch my Beastmen without musical accompaniment!

But I think pure optimization is a miserable way to think about games as your only lens, so I am excited to make poor choices.

it's a 5 point upgrade and somtimes I want to squeeze in a magic item and am looking for five or ten points to drop from a list. I could cut one skeleton, resulting in a unit of 29 instead of 30, but that'll look like rear end when they're ranked up. Or I could drop the almost completely useless musician (when the hell is this unit ever going to tie in a melee, they're going to lose by 5 every time) and still have 30 skeles.

I don't really think of this as optimization although I guess it sorta is

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna need some more hills

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh for sure I can make hills. I think I have a couple already. Just gotta add it to the laundry list of things to do, y'know?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Some quick and easy hills can be made by flocking the vacuum-formed plastic hills that Amera Plastic Mouldings makes if getting foam and cutting it up is too much of a hassle.

yeah no I have shitloads of foam and materials and an equipped woodshop and my wife has a prusa sk3+, I'm set for "stuff to make hills" I just like: have to tear down the patio roof and insulate the garage and rewire the house and get the cats to the vet and help my mother in law move back into her condo and sew up this hole in my sweater's elbow and finish playing baldurs gate 3 and reorganize the closet and update the declarations on my earthquake insurance policy and rebalance my investment portfolio and call my dad

you know, it's just another thing to do "make hills" "deal with your house you idiot" "be a decent person" "invade the lands of the living with a neverending tide of skeletal death"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was looking around at tomb kings proxy models for 3d printing and found this
https://www.lostkingdomminiatures.com/en/30-undying-dynasties
which just has some astonishingly good models, and there's stores on etsy selling them as good quality resin prints if you don't wanna do it yourself, at prices well below GW for stuff that's just categorically better. Gosh.

look at this fuckin' catapult holy moly

I do not need more poo poo to paint but goddamn imagine if GW made models with this much character, sense of movement, attention to detail, anatomical realism, etc. and sold them for https://www.etsy.com/listing/1439951030/artifact-catapult-lost-kingdom thirty five bucks plus shipping for high quality resin

e. oh yeah this store has some amazing lizardmen guys too

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 13, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think detachments existed in 8th edition, but they seem to be in TOW. Can someone summarize how they worked in earlier games and/or how they work in TOW now? Like I can take a core of skeleton warriors and then I guess I can add in some archers as a side-unit, do they follow the main unit around, not have their own leadership, how do they position, do they dissolve if the main unit dies, etc?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh so they don't do anything the rest of the time, they're purely for charge reactions? weird

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. Well, I guess we'll see!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah I see. So, if I'm taking a block of like 20 or 30 skellies, having a detachment of archers to fire into a unit charging them could be enough to swing combat. It won't be, because they'll only do one wound, but in theory it could be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Brets vs tomb kings battle of the box contents report. This showed off a few tomb king mechanics I hadn't seen like chariot runners.

Spoiler I guess but I feel like this is the first report where the tomb king player is competent :spooky:.

https://youtu.be/404DD5J_SRM?si=yRQhm82342yHLHNU

Just watched this one. I do think the TK player did better. Those chariot skirmishers did a great job and the player also did great work with the crystal tower spell. I feel like he wasted a couple of his units, the horse archers just sitting in trees in the corner did not much, and the position of the only hill off in the corner meant he couldn't just park his archers on a hill all game. I feel like he also rolled his regen very badly, getting basically no sixes all game.

That said, it was telling that the game basically came down to the one on one combat between the two generals on monstrous mounts. The game really highlighted how hard it is to keep your liche priest alive, and how awful it is when the guy dies. It's amazing to not lose after that, but you need the game to end before you're done crumbling. I guess having lots of high LD around to slow down the crumbling is a mitigating factor, so as the one guy said, make a BSB and then spread out your BSB, general, and other LD bubbles to keep things from just vaporizing. And then somehow prevent your opponent who has fliers and shooting and spells from picking them off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Btw, posting images taken from my rulebook for rules clarification would be considered :filez:?

You can't reproduce the entire rulebook or a substantial part of it, but clips for rules discussion is clearly fair use and I do it myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

From what little I can grasp the general design of the game, it seems like you kind of need some big wrecking ball wildcard to prevent the game from being just blocks of infantry and calvery walking in straight lines to avoid getting flanked from their counterparts

Terrain is always important in tabletop wargaming and I think that's true here too. Set up the table so you literally can't just line up all your blocks and walk them straight at each other.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think GW used to have a "preferred retailers" system that meant the ones that sold tons of stuff had priority for stock, but that's self-fulfilling if it means the ones who don't have priority gradually get abandoned by their customers. Dunno if it's still a thing, either.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I didn't even think that was cheese, you are giving up rank bonuses to combat res to gain more attacks, isn't that actually the intended result of reform rules in this edition?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I haven't got the rulebook but presumably you can't magically teleport models far more than their total Move value out to the edges of a 16" wide one row unit, right? Also, terrain should be on the board, and other units, and various things that constrain this theorycrafting perfectly spherical game hack.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ok yup going from 6 wide to 11 wide is fine IMO.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everyone wants to theorycraft themselves a repeat of this epic moment

but IRL that's a one-off to beat someone else theorycrafting themselves into a loss (holding your entire army in reserve) and not actually a thing to show up to any random game with in your pocket.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The story goes that the player in white shirt there was cheesing a 40k game by holding his entire army (they're all on bikes) in reserve. The idea is to get to bring them all on from the opponent's edge of the table after the other player has to do their deployment, putting them at a severe disadvantage. But the fellow in the black shirt realized he could cheese right back, using the unit coherence of his large Kroot unit to deploy it so that it completely covers the table edge on which the bikes have to enter. And they're not allowed to enter within x inches of a unit. So in the background there's white shirt consulting with a judge, who eventually agreed this was legal and gave the match to the guy in the black shirt.

e. actually I think that's the bikers' deployment edge, and the kroot have some vanguard/scout rule that lets them deploy anywhere, but not within x " of an enemy unit, etc.? Whichever.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 1, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

regardless, it's a classic because of a player cheesing and being hoisted by his own petard, but also an object lesson in why you need to vigorously consider and test the edge cases and interactions when you write game rules.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno I never played that game, but he can't. Maybe that's his side of the table per my edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bloodborne bloodreaper bloodblooders
ossuous boneskullers
skullbone skeletoners
gently caress I dunno, ogerous mawchewer chompchonkers it's jsut soooooo so so bad

sorry to the sigmar likers but I too absolutely bounce off of the trappings of the setting before I can even begin to learn about its details