Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

ijyt posted:

Any excitement I had during the Kislev and Cathay concept art phase evaporated pretty quickly. The prices are just insane - if the models were resculpts then sure, whatever, slight justification. But just re-releasing them (really kind of bad sculpts if you have no nostalgia for them) with a massively inflated price feels like the scalping is coming from inside GW.

About half the minis they're rereleasing feel classic and I'm glad they're back, and half of them feel like it's absurd to charge full price for them ityool 2024. However the WFB nostalgia guys seem to be hoovering them up and everything is out of stock instantly, so eh. I guess I'm just not the target audience.

The actual game seems pretty good though, and I can use cheaper and better 3rd party minis for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

My initial enthusiasm for getting to put my tomb kings back on the field has been dampened considerably by several months of being unable to actually buy the rules for this game

I can order a UK copy on eBay for less than half the price of a US edition ($53 vs. $130), although add $25 in shipping and presumably a couple or three weeks for it to arrive. I also see listings from europe, japan, etc. lol everyone's aware that there's a severe shortage

but going to ebay for this new in-print game feels like letting Games Workshop get away with something somehow

if they can't supply the US customers with rulebooks then gently caress'm

Just use https://www.whfb.app/ .

This game is nigh unplayable as a beginner without the benefit of easily searchable and hyperlinked text anyway.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I need a vibe check - I want to get into TOW and I have a ton of Beastherd minis that aren't GW. In your own experiences, for local casual game store games, does anyone care as long as everything is based correctly for TOW?

IME the OW community is even more accepting of 3rd party than AOS or 40k because a) it's all super generic fantasy stuff and b) you literally cannot buy like 80% of the models in the game from GW and even the ones they sell are all out of stock.

The overwhelming majority of OW armies I've seen posted in the discords I'm in are majority or entirely third party.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, somebody in a suit at GW who is very bad at business has decided that there can be no overlap between AOS and OW models. I'm sure they think it's a good idea. It's why Beasts got booted out of AOS.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Exactly one month ago today a friend asked me if I wanted to play some Old World, it seemed neat and he had found his old minis deep in his basement. I replied that sadly I did not have a Old World army.

Since then I have painted many dwarves.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not the biggest WFB Nostalgia Guy and I think most these old models they've been digging out of retirement just look bad (not saying you're wrong if you like them, they're just not for me), but good lord these old stone trolls are fantastic. They look like cartoons, in a good way. Whoever did that sculpt absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

lilljonas posted:

It was, like much of that era's best sculpts, the Perry Twins. It's like they almost never stray away from plain humans, but when they do, it of course ends up great.

Of course it's them.

It's a real shame for warhammer enjoyers that the Perrys are extremely specific in what they like, and what they like is historicals. Imagine all the loving awesome models we'd have if they'd spent the last twenty years cranking out extremely awesome fantasy stuff.